General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Uninsured motorist... who needs it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Back Marker

bigpat123
Uninsured is a good thing in my mind. my car was hit in Miami florida when i lived there and the *** that hit me did not have insurance his insurance lapsed so the uninsured kicked in and got my car fixed. without it i would of been up **** creek. And i would of needed to take the jerk to court to get anything.

Also i know florida does not require insurance for registering bikes and unless you have a note that is over $8500 you dont need to carry full coverage either. I bought my hawk for under that and did not need to carry full. This was actually a shock to me since in NY where i lived and rode prior you needed to carry it if you financed $1. The funny thing is i had the CBR 600 Hurricane and it cost $50 for the year for liability and $113 for the year full coverage. I opted for full for a bit then went down to basic liability (100/300) for the $50 and just to mess with geico i asked if i could do a payment plan.

You also need to realize that certain employee supplied health insurance will not cover you if you get into a accident. There was a big write up with the AMA. They consider riding a motorcycle a dare devil thing that doesnt fit their business model.

And if you need to get a discount let them know you have a high degree Phd, Grad school something to that effect it lowers your premium and let them know how long you been riding including dirt. And multi discounts and link your home or renters ins to it as well.
I pay for the hawk right now $225 for the year through geico.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:44 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rbrais
My boss got hit while he was standing on the side of the road (DUI at 9:00 am). He almost died. Allstate paid him out his max. $1 million.

Personally, I'd rather die than life the rest of my life severly disabled and $1M richer.

I'm gonna take that insurance savings and spend it on a tatoo for my chest "DO NOT RESUSCITATE"

As far as insurance in CA, it is required. You cannot register a vehicle without it. But many people let the insurance lapse after registration, or just never register their vehicle. Or they drive someone else's minimally insured vehicle that might not cover them.

And then you've got the people coming into SD from Tijuana. Who knows what sort of enforcement is done on them. Probably a border patrol guard looking at fake insurance papers.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by bigpat123
You also need to realize that certain employee supplied health insurance will not cover you if you get into a accident. There was a big write up with the AMA. They consider riding a motorcycle a dare devil thing that doesnt fit their business model.
Do you have any links on this?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:24 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Rock
I need to determine what insurance to carry for a track
only motorcycle
Why would you insure it at all? Even if someone covered that, something tells me it'd cost more than the bike in short order.

I have heard of some specialty companies that insure track vehicles.

You'd be better off making sure your health insurance covers you on the track.

I'm going to check on my health insurance limitations too.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Squid

Rock is on a distinguished road
Thanks for asking,I dont want to get too far of topic or threadjack, just concerned if I am at fault in a track incident, if the signed waiver is solid enough to keep someone from taking my home.. "assumed risk " ?
The bike is disposable if it hits to hard anyway.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:34 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Rock
Thanks for asking,I dont want to get too far of topic or threadjack, just concerned if I am at fault in a track incident, if the signed waiver is solid enough to keep someone from taking my home.. "assumed risk " ?
The bike is disposable if it hits to hard anyway.

You could loose your house, just think about all the stupid lawsuits that pay out. It wouldn't be because of the damage to the bike but because of injuries. I think those waivers only protect you a certain amount and someone with a good lawyer might still be able to get money from you if you where at fault. Just my 2c's the more you have to loose the more you should have protecting it.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:59 PM
SuperSport

I don't know that there is such a thing as "at fault" on a closed course. Basically as soon as you show up you're at fault for anything that happens to you.

But with that said, how much you lose is ultimately decided by how much the other guy wants to spend on attorneys. Waivers, contracts, facts, fault, is all secondary to that.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Back Marker

bigpat123
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Do you have any links on this?
http://www.allbusiness.com/human-res.../470521-1.html

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2008/HIPAA.asp
Old 02-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Squid

tapatio is on a distinguished road
After the accident I was in 2 months ago I updated my auto coverage from 15/30/15 to 100/300/100. It cost me an additional $43 a year. I will be getting 100/300/100 coverage on my next moto. Good luck getting your employer's health insurance to pay out for a vehicle accident. They will try their best to avoid paying anything.