General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

trs hi beam isnt working

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
trs hi beam isnt working

this has been an on going issue with my trs retrofit. right from the begining it was slow to turn on. at times it would come on and it seemed like once the housing got hot it wouldnt turn on anymore. but if i hit a big bump or two it would turn the hi beam on. so i talked to tweety and matt from trs, i got some diagrams and ran it through a relay and also with i believe a resistor. i just got in from a ride and my brain is a little mushed. anyways it worked on and off again after that and the other day if i gave the light housing a tap the high beam would come on after hitting the hi beam button. well tonight its not coming on at all. i pulled it against the wall in my garage and when i hit the hi beams i can see the light against the wall flicker a little like the flap is trying to go but its not.

so im stuck for ideas. i have a feeling im gonna have to tear into this light yet again. any ideas before i pull everything apart?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
It sounds like the shield is binding in the projector... Either there is something stuck in there... Loose piece of crap from working on the retrofit? Or the shield or spring had become bent or misaligned...

I had one of my projectors from TRS have a problem where there was a miniscule casting mark that caused it to bind at random... Disassembled it and filed the casting smooth, and it never had a hiccup after that...
Old 05-12-2011, 02:49 AM
Superstock

Verne
I am pretty much to the point I am going to ditch my HID setup because of this. The bulb got to where it wouldn't work right so I ordered a replacement but the only one I could find was a non-high beam bulb. I have been riding for almost two years with it until the other day when I picked up a PIAA at CycleGear on sale. Not as bright as the HID but better than stock and I have a high beam again.

It does sound like the bulb. When mine started acting up when you kicked on the high beam it would shut the whole thing done. Not bad except on your way to work at 3 in the morning and having the kill the bike and restart it to get the light to come back on.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:04 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Verne
I am pretty much to the point I am going to ditch my HID setup because of this. The bulb got to where it wouldn't work right so I ordered a replacement but the only one I could find was a non-high beam bulb. I have been riding for almost two years with it until the other day when I picked up a PIAA at CycleGear on sale. Not as bright as the HID but better than stock and I have a high beam again.

It does sound like the bulb. When mine started acting up when you kicked on the high beam it would shut the whole thing done. Not bad except on your way to work at 3 in the morning and having the kill the bike and restart it to get the light to come back on.
Verne... First question, are you running a full projector retrofit, or just a HID bulb in the stock housing? Because if it's the bulb, throw it in the bin... It's not even close to being a good idea...

Second, most likely you have a wiring issue, a HID needs a lot more power than the stock bulb when turning on, so the ballast will likely freak out and shut down if it doesn't get the needed current... Ie running any kind of HID without a relay is asking for trouble... You can in best case blow fuses, worst case you need a new wiring harness or handlebar switch...

Ie, do it right, or run the PIAA and stop complaining about issues you have created yourself...

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but these things are well discussed, and non retrofit HID's are a bad idea...
Old 05-12-2011, 04:24 AM
SuperBike

thats what im thinking too tweety, its getting hung up on something. i tested the thing prior to installation and everything seemed fine to me, the only issue is ive used some pl premium to secure the bastard in there. i was careful not to get any inside of the hid projector and last time i had it out it looked like nothing had gotten in. so i guess ill pull her again. atleast im starting to get good at taking the plastics off. takes about 10 minutes now. lol.

the only downside to the retro fit is that the lo beam is absolutely useless at night time while in a corner. other than that i cant say enough good things about it
Old 05-12-2011, 05:14 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
the only downside to the retro fit is that the lo beam is absolutely useless at night time while in a corner.
Hmmm, well that would be a deal breaker for most I would think.. Making it a great toy for a show bike.. But for anyone who rides would be a disappointed in a lighting system that did not provide light. Add to that issues with getting the system to work,, Kind of makes it sound like a poor solution or a great idea.
I would love to do an HID install... But lighting distribution issues like you mention and others reported from there installs across all brands.. make it seem like it's just not going to happen.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Hmmm, well that would be a deal breaker for most I would think.. Making it a great toy for a show bike.. But for anyone who rides would be a disappointed in a lighting system that did not provide light. Add to that issues with getting the system to work,, Kind of makes it sound like a poor solution or a great idea.
I would love to do an HID install... But lighting distribution issues like you mention and others reported from there installs across all brands.. make it seem like it's just not going to happen.
Actually, uchi's statement is complete news to me... I wouldn't put it of based on that, but it's up to you...

I have covered a lot of miles with mine, and I can tell you that without exception, if it's "useless in corner", you have it adjusted wrong... The stock bulb isn't providing you with light in that area anyways since it's fairing mounted, so it's equally "useless" in that case...

The cut-off is more defined on a HID than a H4 bulb, so you are more aware of the absence of light pointed "high" and in this instance pointed "into the corner", but if it's adjusted correctly, it's still giving you more light in the same areas as the stock bulb...

Then all the "lighting issues" that have been reported... 9 out 10 are non-retrofit's with cheap-*** HID bulbs and ballasts, and no relay, on stock wiring...

I have to date done 17 retrofits in VTR housings... 21 other on various bikes, VFR's, RC's and a lot of others... And I have been riding with my own first one for two seasons... And done properly, with the proper material, it's unbeatable... I can wholeheartedly recommend it...

If you like, I can even build you one...
Old 05-12-2011, 07:28 AM
SuperBike

Its a great light no doubt about it. I've got mine aimed so i don't blind cars. But when in a hard turn at night time the cut off line doesn't allow light through the corner and then i can't see the exit of it. When the hi beam works it fills the corner nicely while leaned over. Its now just a matter of making it work again. Lol
Old 05-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Superstock

Verne
No hard feelings. It was a conversion with all related wiring and relays. Just no projector in the housing. It worked fine for over 2 years then the bulb started acting up, could be it just got old.

I am not concerned with it just relaying my experience to what issues he was having. Probably shouldn't have said I was thinking about ditching it just trying something else. Got to have something to tinker with.

Thanks,

Verne
Old 05-12-2011, 03:32 PM
SuperBike

funny thing is mine started doing the same last year. when i hit the hi beam it started to shut the light off. so i ran it through a relay and its been fine since, well fine in the sense where it doesnt turn off the bulb