SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Tire Watch...constant pressure/temp. monitoring! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/tire-watch-constant-pressure-temp-monitoring-17447/)

j shizzy wizzy 02-06-2009 12:42 PM

Tire Watch...constant pressure/temp. monitoring!

Has anyone heard of this system or used it? Its expensive, but seems like a great idea! of course, a $10 gauge would work too...;)

http://www.tire-watch.com/index.php?...=28&Itemid=118

k-d-williams 02-06-2009 01:09 PM

I like the idea, but its just as easy for me to check them weekly. My tires are filled with nitrogen. Since I quit using air, my pressures remain constant and do not leak (yet):cool:

lazn 02-06-2009 02:01 PM

http://motorrad.ca/index.php?main_pa...products_id=13

$375 in Canada, no USA distributors..

inderocker 02-06-2009 02:08 PM

300 Clams! F-that!

CentralCoaster 02-06-2009 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by k-d-williams (Post 199190)
I like the idea, but its just as easy for me to check them weekly. My tires are filled with nitrogen. Since I quit using air, my pressures remain constant and do not leak (yet):cool:

Oh don't get me started on nitrogen....:wtf2:

j shizzy wizzy 02-06-2009 03:38 PM

Fire it up! Is there something wrong with nitrogen? I run Nitrogen in all my vehicles. Now I think I'm gonna use it in the hawks tires. I don't know why I haven't all along!

k-d-williams 02-06-2009 04:17 PM

Yep, I too would like to know what your aurgument is on using nitrogen.

MLB 02-06-2009 05:45 PM

There's nothing wrong with nitrogen.

Just no advantages either. :evillaugh:

Tweety 02-06-2009 06:19 PM

The one advantage it has is that with the right mix, you have less variation in tire pressure with temperature... Not myth... fact... But other than that it's the same...

And the price you pay to get it in there is insane...

lazn 02-06-2009 06:37 PM

Normal air is 79% nitrogen, 20% oxygen and 1% misc (mostly argon)..

So if you keep inflating your tires, and mostly the oxygen leaks out over time.. eventually it will be nitrogen filled with just using normal air!! lol (really, the differences are not measurable unless you only check your tire pressure once a year)

Byrdman 02-06-2009 07:12 PM

most paintballers use nitrogen in their tanks so their pressure doesn't fluctuate

j shizzy wizzy 02-06-2009 07:18 PM

I have been told, basically, nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen's and leak at a slower and more consistent rate. We still need to check our pressure regularly of course, but it just helps with gas mileage and tire wear between checks!

j shizzy wizzy 02-06-2009 07:19 PM

oh, and its not effected by ambient air temps either!

k-d-williams 02-06-2009 07:21 PM

Actually there are many more advantages to using nitrogen. I have been in aviation maintenance for over 25 years. The use of nitrogen is used in shocks, struts, accumulaters, tires, etc... It will hold a more constant pressure under hot or cold conditions. The molecules are larger and do not leak past seals, o-rings and inner tubes like air does. Nitrogen is dry, using air also induces moisture into anything you put it in, even with a water seperator.

Soo, since I keep nitrogen bottles at my hangar for aviation related work, its all free to me :D and to any of my friends who need or want some :cheers:

I see alot of planes that do more sitting than flying. Those who use air are always adding and the ones with nitrogen do not unless they have a forien object or hole in the tire. Do what you want, but i'll continue to use nitrogen.

steve.g 02-07-2009 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy (Post 199181)
Has anyone heard of this system or used it? Its expensive, but seems like a great idea! of course, a $10 gauge would work too...;)

http://www.tire-watch.com/index.php?...=28&Itemid=118

We use a similar system in trucking.Its a small pressure sensitive transmitter,mounted in the valve cap that will warn you (by a dash light) when a pressure change is detected.Great idea on an 18 wheeler,but is it worth it on a bike?

CentralCoaster 02-09-2009 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by k-d-williams (Post 199271)
It will hold a more constant pressure under hot or cold conditions...

Nitrogen is dry, using air also induces moisture into anything you put it in, even with a water seperator.

Yes, but you're comparing wet air to dry nytrogen. Dry air and dry nitrogen expand and contract exactly the same due to changing temperature.

The crap a tire shop is filling your tires with isn't pure or dry nitrogen, maybe 90% nitrogen. Maybe not much more than the nitrogen you're breathing now. They're also not purging the air out of your tires beforehand. Also as the oxygen leaks out of your tires faster, the % of nitrogen will increase.

It does perform better in some ways, like slower leak rates, but most of the benefits are exaggerated or invented entirely.

One of those benefits is easy and safe portability. It can be liquified relatively easy at room temperature (~1500psi), so a lot of it can be stored in a very small space compared to the same quantity of air. And as a liquid which is basically not compressible, it's not going to explode like an atomic bomb if the bottle is knocked over.

Bustin 03-16-2016 09:09 PM

Whatever you need to do to keep your tires inflated to the proper specs is the smartest move. Debating nitrogen or air is a distraction, if you don't invest in a good pressure gauge that doesn't piss you off every time you try to wedge it in past the brake rotors. Also, find an air chuck that gets into both front and rear wheels, without trying to tear out your valve stems or remodel your knuckles in the process . Like any other regular maintenance, having the right tools on hand makes it so much easier to stay up on tire pressure.

If you find yourself putting off checking tire pressures every couple weeks , or avoiding topping up to optimum pressure because it's a pain in the arse, you are very likely going to wear out your tires prematurely, regardless of what gas you chose fill them with. Tire prices keep going up and UP again, so paying attention to your tire pressures on the reg is smart money.

VTR1000F 03-17-2016 04:14 AM

One word: angled valve stems.

I fill my tires with a precise mixture of 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. Only troglodytes use common air these days.

finepooch 03-17-2016 05:27 AM

going all the way back to the original post from 2009, that web site sucks

i tried a cheap tpms a few years ago. they were valve stem caps that contained a sensor and transmitter. they were garbage. they let air out themselves, thus increasing my required effort to maintain air pressure.

VTR1000F 03-17-2016 06:06 AM

Yeah, but they let you know about it, right?

AndyMX47 03-17-2016 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 394322)
I fill my tires with a precise mixture of 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. Only troglodytes use common air these days.

Amazing coincidence - I use exactly the same stuff in my tires, but I bet I have you beat - I get mine for FREE!

VTR1000F 03-17-2016 12:12 PM

I have a special tank in my garage in which I mix and compress my own, so...

CruxGNZ 03-17-2016 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 394330)
I have a special tank in my garage in which I mix and compress my own, so...

Me too. However, I get a few more gasses mixed in during taco night.

VTR1000F 03-17-2016 06:58 PM

Light a match!

Meier Link 03-17-2016 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Byrdman (Post 199267)
most paintballers use nitrogen in their tanks so their pressure doesn't fluctuate

I know this is an old quote but new people are reading this so I figure I should address it. While this is partially true the main reason people use Nitrogen is because of the lack of moisture it resonates under rapid fire. Oxygen gets extremely cold and causes excessive moisture in barrels and on the bolt which can result in ball chops or freezing of the internals of the marker which is never a good thing seeing top end markers also have electronics integrated into the marker.

Also the tanks used for Nitrogen last longer and also hold a considerable amount more pressure then the oxygen Tanks so there is less time at the refill station.

VTR1000F 03-17-2016 11:19 PM

And, don't forget the troglodyte thing.

E.Marquez 03-18-2016 04:36 PM

I use Nitrogen because it's better......... it's better because the tank is closer to the bike most days than the air hose which contains 79% nitrogen....
either way a pricy liquid filled 1/2 lb incremental pressure gauge is used to set tire pressures cold....and that I think is more important than the gas used.

VTR1000F 03-18-2016 04:51 PM

78.09% Nitrogen.

E.Marquez 03-18-2016 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 394382)
78.09% Nitrogen.

I live in Texas, less smog, more Nitrogen less other gasses.....LOL

finepooch 03-18-2016 07:07 PM

you guys are full of methane

;)