General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

tire price comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Squid

r80gsman is on a distinguished road
tire price comparison

i love tires.... for some weird reasons i guess...

i am always reading reviews and trying different tires on different bikes.. mostly i am curious about "cheaper tires"... most of the ones that are not made in china.. Taiwan mostly, & brazil.

well, i did a cost comparison with three tires i think are a close venue.

michelin power 2cts, metzeler sporttec m3s, shinko 011 verge. all are dual-compound of such.. better wear with out sacrificing cornering(with in reason)

tire sizes are 12/70-17 front, 180/55-17 rear. all prices are shipped

2cts- $125 rear , front $97$
M3s- $115 rear, front $89
011- $126 rear, front $77..

millage length is unknown but i would guess about the same, respond please.

i can not help but think that shinko's tires are not that cheap, i know the 005 and 006s(i have a set to try) are a little cheaper however they do not grip as well as the Power 2cts. (weather extra grip is needed or not)

the shinkos would only be worth it if u liked them or they lasted longer... i believe that shinko showed the MC tire industry that one can make a good tire for a good price and the other "name" brands have bought there prices back into check with the market..

tell me what u think..... idle thoughts are at work,

the M3s are 1$ more than the shinkos. 2cts are 19$ more than the shinkos... i will get a set of M3 and mount them at the beginning of the summer. that will give me 2k+ on the shinkos.

M3 have gotten good reviews.

Last edited by r80gsman; 01-09-2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: more info.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Superstock

pigwings
I got M3's last spring, and like them.
Cost $205 including balancing alignment at a local shop.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Squid

the M3s had raving reviews in Europe, with the ducati and aprilla bike testers.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
My wife & I put 6k on a set of M3s last spring & summer. The M3 had the best milage of any of the sportbike tires, 2ct had just been introduced last spring.
Never have I been a impulse buyer. And with no reviews. For $200+, wasn't going on the salemans opinion.
Replaced with a set of Pilot Roads, and got to put some miles on those(at the dragon) last fall. There performance was acceptable, - there was a bit of rear tire slide...

Yet, the performance, and milage- Both RC-51s are wearing the Metzeler M3s..

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 01-09-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
My wife & I put 6k on a set of M3s last spring & summer. The M3 had the best milage of any of the sportbike tires, 2ct had just been introduced last spring.
Never have I been a impulse buyer. And with no reviews. For $200+, wasn't going on the salemans opinion.
Replaced with a set of Pilot Roads, and got to put some miles on those(at the dragon) last fall. There performance was acceptable, - there was a bit of rear tire slide...

Yet, the performance, and milage- Both RC-51s are wearing the Metzeler M3s..

the pilot roads are the michelin recommended tire for the SH. was on there site poking around and did the recommended tire search.. they are supposed to have very good millage. the shinko 006 and 009 are supposedly in that class. sport/touring high mileage..

i would think 6k out of a good sport tire is good, especially for the price of 204$.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:00 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Where did you get M3's so cheap? I'm trying to decide what tire to use at the track this spring before the summer heat is too intense for mere road tires. Right now the options being considered are Q2's and BT-016's which are both ~$225 a set. I used to run M3's a few years ago but their prices went up so I've been running most of Bridgestone's sportbike lineup of -003R, -003RS, -016, and -021. Good prices and great performance out of them all when used properly. The optimal combination I've found for aggressive street riding is a -016 front and -021 rear.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
Where did you get M3's so cheap? I'm trying to decide what tire to use at the track this spring before the summer heat is too intense for mere road tires. Right now the options being considered are Q2's and BT-016's which are both ~$225 a set. I used to run M3's a few years ago but their prices went up so I've been running most of Bridgestone's sportbike lineup of -003R, -003RS, -016, and -021. Good prices and great performance out of them all when used properly. The optimal combination I've found for aggressive street riding is a -016 front and -021 rear.
prices today from Motorcycle super store...
Old 01-10-2011, 05:54 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I think I'd go with the Metz too.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 AM
SuperSport

The M3's on the 03' RC51 are coming the end of being used, almost 4300miles. And that set were used alot more aggressive riding. Hotbrakes,got a deal,bought 3 sets/1sale. Yeah i agree tire prices have gotten high..
I bought this set of pilot roads with a set of (factory)wheels off a 05' for cheap, the tires were new..Gonna give them a try. But have a set of M6s waiting to shoe-on and ride..
There is a group of us that ride the superbikes(1 Ltr) together here in Western NC. And the majority ride on the -016 battleAx. Most of the bikes in the group have extensive suspension work- Which i believe have effects on what amount of mileage wear..
I will stay with Metzelers.......
Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 AM
SuperSport

Would say -That the group has JOKED of buying a set of the skinko, cheng shin, etc. Just to abuse and find reference.. There are crazies in the group, YET?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
Would say -That the group has JOKED of buying a set of the skinko, cheng shin, etc. Just to abuse and find reference.. There are crazies in the group, YET?

i am running a set of sport-touring shinkos 005&006, i would think the sport 010 or 011 would be good.. they are made in Taiwan and are Yokohamas which is a good tire co.

the 005s did ok on the track.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/82...on-Review.aspx.

i would say these are sport-touring not full on sport.

and i am a metzeler fan.. ever since my sahara 3s on my ktm. i could drag pegs on that bike. if the price stays close to what it is, i will get a set for the hawk, the shinkos i have are ok, not fast but ok, and i have rode them in 40deg temp. when it stops snowing all the time i am going to give them a go with the manufacture pressure recomendations. with is around 34psi. they said that this pressure will make a big difference from stock pressures.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 AM
SuperBike

having run 005s on my first and second track days I ever did, the only other thing I'd add to the article in the link is that they go away fast. After a day and a half, I was sliding the rear around far more than I was comfortable with. and that was on a 600. I'd have to imagine the torque of the hawk would be like grease. they should definitely be put in the sport tour category.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Brooks' Cycle Centre'
Back Marker

superchickencornermonster is on a distinguished road
I was a qualifier fanatic for years until I put the 2CT's on. They heat up quicker, last longer and grip just as well, if not better. Plus, Michelin has some super deals going on right now.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Squid

just did another check,, the michelin pilot powers are 198$ shipped, 111 for the rear and 87 for the front... some of the reviews say they like them better than that of the 2ct. not as sticky but not wearing near as much and very good in the turns.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 AM
SuperBike

I think if you look up the details on the net, you'll find the difference between the PP and 2CT is that the 2CT uses a narder compound in the middle of the tire for longer wear, but soft like the PP on the sides. ...I think.....
Old 01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
SuperBike

Here's a good chart
Attached Thumbnails tire price comparison-sport_comparo_lg.jpg  
Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
While that image is true, it's not the whole truth... The 2CT's are actually harder in the center and softer on the edges than the PP's... I'd say the PP's are "medium" all over...

Less grip leaned over, but more grip if stood up... And they wear faster than the 2CT's, but not by much on road riding... On track the 2CT's ball up on the edges a lot faster, due to the softer compound though...

One is a SPORT-Touring tire and the other is a sport-touring tire, neither is a trackday tire or a touring tire...
Old 01-11-2011, 05:36 AM
SuperBike

Lots of guys run 2CTs on the track. I wouldn't do it in advanced classes, or actual races, but for track days they do great. What are the guys in Europe running for track days?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
Lots of guys run 2CTs on the track. I wouldn't do it in advanced classes, or actual races, but for track days they do great. What are the guys in Europe running for track days?
The same... I probably should have used the word "race tire"... It's a very good trackday tire if you aren't in the top group... (or like me, should be if I got my act together, and stopped playing in the midlevel group...)

Last outing I used the new Power One, but not the street one in that chart, but the full on race one... The grip levels where insane once I had the pressure dialed in... Almost didn't matter what I did with the trottle in the corners, it just made rude little chirps at me and launched out of the corner... The PP's and 2CT's would have launched me at the scenery if I did that...
Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Squid

i talked to my friend an r1 rider, and a racer. he said that most of the r1 guys he runs with uses the PP, and 2cts here in the mountains of WNC which is, if you ride hard, very hard on tires, some use the full on race tires. i know some of them, used to ride with them before getting out of the sport bike seen... , and some should ride in the TT, crazy racing on public roads. there is video footage of 160+mph on two laners in the mountains, with a spotter of course for traffic alert. (very stupid for the record). they're the ones u see on numbered race prepped bikes, no lights,no tags, on the road. then at the amateur road events at the track.

anyway, michelins, which in the "old days" the 2ct not N/A, were swore by. i ran dunlop gp208, i think, wore the side walls out before the middle.

i would need two set of wheels, race tires and sport-touring. helps keep the line from blurring.
we have a set of sp-t metzelers on an RS, which are old tires and they seem to still grip well for spirited riding.. i might give the m3 a go, the ducati guys like them.. v-twins

cheers
Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
The same... I probably should have used the word "race tire"... It's a very good trackday tire if you aren't in the top group... (or like me, should be if I got my act together, and stopped playing in the midlevel group...)

Last outing I used the new Power One, but not the street one in that chart, but the full on race one... The grip levels where insane once I had the pressure dialed in... Almost didn't matter what I did with the trottle in the corners, it just made rude little chirps at me and launched out of the corner... The PP's and 2CT's would have launched me at the scenery if I did that...
+1

I use a power one/power race combo and I'm very pleased. More than anything, I think it's a mind game having confidence in the tires. I've never run race slicks though.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by r80gsman
i talked to my friend an r1 rider, and a racer. he said that most of the r1 guys he runs with uses the PP, and 2cts here in the mountains of WNC which is, if you ride hard, very hard on tires, some use the full on race tires. i know some of them, used to ride with them before getting out of the sport bike seen... , and some should ride in the TT, crazy racing on public roads. there is video footage of 160+mph on two laners in the mountains, with a spotter of course for traffic alert. (very stupid for the record). they're the ones u see on numbered race prepped bikes, no lights,no tags, on the road. then at the amateur road events at the track.

anyway, michelins, which in the "old days" the 2ct not N/A, were swore by. i ran dunlop gp208, i think, wore the side walls out before the middle.

i would need two set of wheels, race tires and sport-touring. helps keep the line from blurring.
we have a set of sp-t metzelers on an RS, which are old tires and they seem to still grip well for spirited riding.. i might give the m3 a go, the ducati guys like them.. v-twins

cheers
After riding on the track some, my perspective is that tire technology (and bike technology too) is far past what the average rider is capable of. The m3 looks like a good tire to me. In fact, after you buy them, if you want me to try them out on the track for you, just have them shipped here!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Squid

After riding on the track some, my perspective is that tire technology (and bike technology too) is far past what the average rider is capable of. The m3 looks like a good tire to me. In fact, after you buy them, if you want me to try them out on the track for you, just have them shipped here!

will do.. may get to Road atlanta for a closed session for a new bike track day and get to ride the Sh on the track. the MOA club does a track day at the BMW plant's road track in the spring , i think, may get in on that action as well... those guys like metzelers and conti.s
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 AM
SuperBike

aw man...are you allowed to bring guests?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Squid

guest, should on both. i think the MOA is limited numbers and it cost $ but it is cheap.. the Road Alt. should be free? i will have to do some emailing for some early registration and facts.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:05 AM
SuperBike

I'd LOVE to demo an S1000RR if they dare let me on the track with it!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
I'd LOVE to demo an S1000RR if they dare let me on the track with it!
i think the spring road altanta day will have the s1000rr and the ducati 1098s demo's, i am sure there will be a deposit. but worth it to ride those back to back

checked: i do not see the MOA event on there calender, i will have to investigate further.

Last edited by r80gsman; 01-11-2011 at 11:29 AM.