General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tire ?? looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
In my 50k miles of experience, Qualifiers wear too quick but have good grip, Bridgestones wear funny but last awhile, Pirelli Diablo Corsas are good overall, but the Michelin Pilot Power (not 2CT) are superb. Good life, even wear, and outstanding grip really set the standard with the PPs.
+1 the Pilot Power is the best bun I've ever run and I'd recommend it and a pint of Stone's Ruination IPA
RC
Old 01-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up R/S

+1
Originally Posted by AZZKIKER
Dunlop Roadsmarts. You won't need anything more, unless you are racing on the track. You will get mileage and traction.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Squid

superskinner is on a distinguished road
Just put on a new pair of pilot road 2's. Great grip and overall a great tire!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Metzler M3 are great for milage and grip and a pint of Stone's Arogant Bastard Ale to celebrate!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Anybody have any objective info on manufacturing quality? I have some subjective - at least for car tires.
I put 50k/yr on my car and change and balance my own tires. For automobile tires I have found a world of difference balance weight, sidewall stiffness, bead tightness, and sidewall appearance.
For my current car (Acura TSX) the 17" tires run anywhere from $70 to $190+ each for longer life sportouring models.
Over the years Michelin has impressed me. They balance with less than an ounce, the side wall and bead are stiff and tight, and the tire surface "looks" good - perhaps an indication of good mold tooling maintenance?- But at a steep price. Yokohamas are almost as good for about 1/2 the price. BF goodrich were the worst. Everyone else (dunlops, bridgestones, goodyear, kumho, etc) did not seem to have the quality of the Yoko's and Michelins, but were all quite a bit less $$ than the Michelins.
I have little specific knowledge on motorcycle tires, but the prices all seems to be the same +/- maybe 20%. Perhaps this info doesn't cross over to Bike tires, but when it is time for me to change it will definitely be Michelins
Old 01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I have had very good luck with the Continentals, to the point that the shop I work at mounts mainly two brands, stones n contis. Part of the reason for this is the cost of michelins, most customers bawk at the severe incline over competitors like the stones and contis. I do have to say this about the continentals- i have run the roads and the sports, there appears to be very little difference in the compound and both will pick up loose gravel, grass, dogs, and chickens if you get them toasty (lets say riding the dragon). Both seem to wear very well, the roads just appear to have more rubber. The one negative, and a major complaint of one, and may I repeat ONE, is that they hydroplane. I have experienced this as well. It turns out that they are no good in the rain, if you ride above 65mph! In a downpour, you will feel the bike get squimish at 70, but feel as planted as an oak at 65. I for one don't really ride in downpours, and when I do I never exceed 65, so I don't have a problem with them.

What I do have a problem with is D208's of any kind! My bike came with them, and I was able to spin them on command until they warmed up to hot temps. They wore crappy, and rode crappy. I have ridden the conti's into the 20's degrees and lower, and never have been able to spin the tire. (this is from taking off from a stop sign/lights)
Old 01-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
Currently running Diablo Rosso's. I have about 1,000 miles on them and they still look new. Fantastic grip in the dry. Have not tried them extensively in the rain. One thing I noticed is that the front end seems a lot lighter with these tires than with the stockers.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by skokievtr
I run same combo but 35/41 +/- No way I get 6k before rear turn-in is like rolling the edge but once over OK. Maybe -5k & 7k+ in front with a far bit of hiway (1/2?) and a trunk (a lot less than a beech man).

Why are the Michs so expensive, the dual-compound? Making up for loosing motogp?
Funny but no they're the most expensive because the pilot road 2 is the longest lasting tire in the sport touring genre.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
I have had very good luck with the Continentals, to the point that the shop I work at mounts mainly two brands, stones n contis. Part of the reason for this is the cost of michelins, most customers bawk at the severe incline over competitors like the stones and contis. I do have to say this about the continentals- i have run the roads and the sports, there appears to be very little difference in the compound and both will pick up loose gravel, grass, dogs, and chickens if you get them toasty (lets say riding the dragon). Both seem to wear very well, the roads just appear to have more rubber. The one negative, and a major complaint of one, and may I repeat ONE, is that they hydroplane. I have experienced this as well. It turns out that they are no good in the rain, if you ride above 65mph! In a downpour, you will feel the bike get squimish at 70, but feel as planted as an oak at 65. I for one don't really ride in downpours, and when I do I never exceed 65, so I don't have a problem with them.

What I do have a problem with is D208's of any kind! My bike came with them, and I was able to spin them on command until they warmed up to hot temps. They wore crappy, and rode crappy. I have ridden the conti's into the 20's degrees and lower, and never have been able to spin the tire. (this is from taking off from a stop sign/lights)
Its interesting you say the Contis are not so good in the rain for you above 65 mph. I agree riding in the rain above 65 is pretty risky but on my way back from the Indy MotoGP I was running thru absolute torrents on I65 and so as not to get run over my the big rigs I had to exceed 65 and the Contis seemed good to me.

Originally Posted by superhawk22
Funny but no they're the most expensive because the pilot road 2 is the longest lasting tire in the sport touring genre.
Do you mean best milage in Michelin's ST line or all mfgrs?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:52 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Cycle Gear has an "in store only" special on the discontinued Dunlop D220 "sport touring" tires.

$59.99 for the front and $79.99 for the rear. If you bring in the wheel(s), they change and balance for $20 each. I don't think I've seen a better deal on good name brand tires.

I've got a 220 on the rear. I don't have experience with any of the latest super sport tires, but the 220 sticks a lot better than the stock 204 and still has lots of tread left after 3000 miles. Looks like I'll get 8k or 9k miles out of it.

Last edited by RK1; 01-21-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i have rode probally 20,000 miles or more on the dunlope qualifier. this tire does everything ill ever need it to do. and i havent felt so much as a twitch in heavy rain. but i did go through two sets last year so they dont last long. i want to try the pilot roads but im just so used to the quallifiers.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Cycle Gear has an "in store only" special on the discontinued Dunlop D220 "sport touring" tires.

$59.99 for the front and $79.99 for the rear. If you bring in the wheel(s), they change and balance for $20 each. I don't think I've seen a better deal on good name brand tires.

I've got a 220 on the rear. I don't have experience with any of the latest super sport tires, but the 220 sticks a lot better than the stock 204 and still has lots of tread left after 3000 miles. Looks like I'll get 8k or 9k miles out of it.

what size?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:33 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
what size?
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=CGC_CG-0702_G

VTR size.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:34 PM
RK1
MotoGP

LAN-

I also noticed the "in store only" is gone. Looks like they can be ordered thru the website now.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:44 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Joe, since you don't ride enough to wear out a tire in a year, get a sticky supersport tire. Old tires, no matter what they are or were will dry out over time and leave you riding on a compound similar to plastic. Tires should be replaced about once a year, no matter how many miles are on them. A friend of mine just wrecked her new bike cause the tires were like 4 years old, with absolutely no wear. If you get long lasting sport touring tires, they will dry out before you use them up, and could lead to a crash cause you think they are still good after 2 years of light use. Any current model of tire is a good choice, just keep 'em fresh.

Oh, and ride more! You're missing out.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:34 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
Tires should be replaced about once a year, no matter how many miles are on them.
I don't know. Tire makers advise they are good for 6 years from the made date.

I might not want to go 6 years, but scraping a tire with 3k miles just 'cause it's a year old seems a wee bit extreme to me.

The D220 I put on a few months ago may have been "discontinued", but the made date on the sidewall was well less than a year old.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:01 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
I don't know. Tire makers advise they are good for 6 years from the made date.

I might not want to go 6 years, but scraping a tire with 3k miles just 'cause it's a year old seems a wee bit extreme to me.

The D220 I put on a few months ago may have been "discontinued", but the made date on the sidewall was well less than a year old.
Ok, to clarify. The preservative put on tires that must be scrubbed off in the first hundred miles or so (a decent heat cycle with the whole contact patch being touched) is what maintains the 6 year "shelf life". Once this preservative is gone, the rubber begins drying out and soons loses its stickiness. Heat also affects the life of the tire. If your garage is toasty warm or your bike sits out in the weather (sunlight) the tires will rot faster. Overheating the tire will prematurely dry it out as well. Trackdays on scorching hot summer days or riding across the desert with a load will cause overheating. Tire pressure that is too low will exponentially increase the life in similar conditions. Tires that have dried out without being scorched could possibly be revived though, but I wouldn't want to be the guy scrubbing them back in.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
All true... but running a tire into a second season won't make you crash... Not unless you end your season with a trackday... A tire should most definetly survive being stored cool over winter if it's been run at normal temps... Just treat it like new in the spring and give it a good scrubbing...

If the tire should last into a third season though... Then you definetly have a problem...
Old 02-04-2009, 12:40 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you mean best milage in Michelin's ST line or all mfgrs?
According to independent testing it's the longest lasting st tire from all manufactures and 4th best in the rain.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Squid

pzurek18 is on a distinguished road
I just bought a pair of the Shinko 005's today for my hawk, i hope there as good as some people. Ill def. let you know how they feel as soon as i can ride on them!! WOO WOO
Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
LAN-

I also noticed the "in store only" is gone. Looks like they can be ordered thru the website now.

Just looked - and only $8 each for shipping. This gets both a front and rear for $156 shipped! That is less than than 1 tire anywhere else. I only have experience on the OEM tire (D204?) - I want good tires but will I get another $150 if additonal Betterness if I get the Pilot Powers? My bike only has 6k, I bought it in September with 5k on it and although I did not ask, I doubt the PO ever changed the rubber. I still have legal tread, but this bike is probably pushing 7+ seasons on OEM rubber.
Don't want to be short sighted here, but it seems to me either choice is going to get me much better than I have now. I'm on a limited budget and I still need to pick up the braided brake lines to fit the VFR bars I scored on Ebay.
So the same $$ the D220 choice will also get me braided brake lines. I don't do track days, just a 80 mile roundtrip commute on back roads to work. Am I making a mistake?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:02 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Stevebis1;

I'd go for the D220s. I've only had it and the original 204s on my VTR and I think the 220s are better tires. I've got about 4k miles on the rear 220, it has lots of tread left and it sticks better too.

It isn't some budget cheap *** tire. It was Dunlop's premier sport tour tire until less than a year ago, original tire on the VFR800 and a bunch of other bikes.

If you don't race or push your luck riding completely ***** out in the hills I think it's all the tire you need.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by superhawk22
According to independent testing it's the longest lasting st tire from all manufactures and 4th best in the rain.
What indepenent test (link?) and what model tires; ranking?

Originally Posted by RK1
Stevebis1;
I'd go for the D220s. I've only had it and the original 204s on my VTR and I think the 220s are better tires. I've got about 4k miles on the rear 220, it has lots of tread left and it sticks better too.

It isn't some budget cheap *** tire. It was Dunlop's premier sport tour tire until less than a year ago, original tire on the VFR800 and a bunch of other bikes.

If you don't race or push your luck riding completely ***** out in the hills I think it's all the tire you need.
From what I've heard & read, the D220's are better in the rain than dry and don't usually last much more than 4k miles (contrary to what you experienced). But still thats a good buy in terms of potential $ per mile if you are not pushing it.

Whereas the Conti Rd Atks have gone up I don't like running different mfgrs front & rear and my Sp Atk has probably another 2~3k miles left though its giving me the usual hands off shimmy decelerating between 50 & 30 mph. Of course your not supposed to do that. I've considered the Shinko 005 / 009 combo just for yucks at $200 shipped versus $267 for the Conti Combo. The Mich PR2 & PP2CT combo is $304 shipped. (MotoXoutlet.com shpg = $25 set) Making the Shinkos 33.5% less than the Contis & 52% less than the Mich and Contis only 13% less than the Michs. The Avon sp/st combo at $284 (which I used to run) are more than the Contis now! From what I've read, for 8/10ths riding and even in the rain, the Shinkos (Korean made using Bridestone molds and compounds) are a fairly good if not excellent tire combo though maybe only a bit better than the D220s.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:36 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Yeah skokie, I've read the same as you; That 220s were great in the rain, stuck OK but not quite as good as sticky super sports, and some guys thought they wore too fast.

I figure for $80 rear and $60 front if they wear a bit faster than a $300+ pair of Roadsmarts etc. I'll live with it. But it's turning out I don't have to.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:02 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RK1
But it's turning out I don't have to.
huh?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 PM
RK1
MotoGP

huh?
I'll try again. I meant at those prices, they'd be well worth the money even if they DID wear faster than other ST tires. (I could live with that) faster wear.

But mine ISN'T wearing faster so (I don't have to) live with that faster wear.

"live with" being synonymous with "tolerate", "put up with" etc.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joedirt5
I am ready to buy new tires for my freshly powdercoated wheels and was looking for tire feedback. Generally I ride 3000 mi a year and don't mind putting new tires on seasonally. My current tires are dunlop d-208's that I feel have terrible grip. I was considering maxxis tires but haven't heard a whole lot about them. Everyone I talk to loves michelin pilots. Any other options I should consider? Anyone with maxxis with some feed back? How about changing sizes from stock for better turning etc.? Thanks for the help guys.
Your PartsUnlimited dealer has a 20% off going during the month of Feb. Pilot Powers are the best tire I've ever had on the Superhawk but I "squared" them in less than 4K miles. The dual compounds of the same tire were under recall at the time so the Powers were my choice. Amazing tire but slow to warm. Tacky - sticky in the corners. I've not owned a set but I hear Dunlop Qualifiers are the same business.