SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Throttle Lock (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/throttle-lock-13933/)

Jeepingoose 03-01-2008 10:51 AM

Throttle Lock

Anyone use or have a throttle lock for thier SH?

I had a makeshift one for my EX500 when I first started riding, and for long trips it was very nice to be able to stretch out and flex your right hand.

Plus, its good for doing stupid stuff too ;)

So anyone know where I might find one for my 99?

Thanks!

Adam

RickB 03-01-2008 11:03 AM

I have one on mine, Vista Cruise model I believe.... dealers have them and you can search on google or your favorite search engine to find sites that have them. I suppose you could do some "stupid stuff" with one if you really wanted to... :shock:

Jeepingoose 03-01-2008 11:12 AM

I like to lock the throttle and slide back onto the rear seat and ride that way sometimes

Jeepingoose 03-01-2008 11:26 AM

What size are the bars?

skokievtr 03-01-2008 12:18 PM

Why do you need a thottle lock in HI? LOL The longest straight road is maybe 10 miles...

I like the NEP (less then $15) but I have XL hands, the small pastic Vista Cruise (not the multi-piece cross bar one), is better for small hands. Then there is the expensive ThrottleMiester and I'm sure a few others.

superbling 03-01-2008 12:25 PM

NEP

HRCVTR1000 03-01-2008 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by superbling (Post 154242)
NEP

+1 , make sure you get the one made specifically for the Honda , its different .

HRCVTR1000 03-01-2008 03:05 PM

Matter of fact this is where I got mine ....http://www.casporttouring.com/thestore/prods/177.html Although they can be found cheaper !

Hawkrider 03-01-2008 03:23 PM

Throttlemeisters are nice, but expensive.

skokievtr 03-01-2008 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 154252)
Throttlemeisters are nice, but expensive.

there we go again, read up

Hawkrider 03-01-2008 03:36 PM

Yeah, but you didn't say they were nice. :nana: :lol:

Hawkrider 03-01-2008 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic to make it all better...

skokievtr 03-01-2008 05:05 PM

Nice Greg

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 154255)
Here's a pic to make it all better...

Is the white paint easy to keep clean & scratch-free. Those tank bags that attach to the gas cap ring seem like they put quite a load on the fasteners &/or threaded tank inserts??

I can't afford the Throttle Meister grip lock but have been using the NEP for many moons (i.e., well before my VTR). Note the F4i calipers which are identical to the 00-01 RC51 but black (I painted the fastener heads). Have yet to test ride the Tommis & MP throttle cables, RC51 with the F4i calis, and the longer HEL clutch line. The Russel brake lines go back to day 1 practically.

shawkpilot 03-01-2008 06:50 PM

A buddy of mine uses a rubber O-ring. He stores it on the bar end, and when he wants to use it, he just rolls it over. It kinda wedges between the bar end and the throttle, and adds just enough resistance to not let the throttle go to idle. Very cheap mod, and requires 0 mechanical ability.

inderocker 03-01-2008 06:54 PM

Throttlemiesters!

skokievtr 03-01-2008 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by shawkpilot (Post 154264)
A buddy of mine uses a rubber O-ring. He stores it on the bar end, and when he wants to use it, he just rolls it over. It kinda wedges between the bar end and the throttle, and adds just enough resistance to not let the throttle go to idle. Very cheap mod, and requires 0 mechanical ability.

The O-ring trick is old time and can allow rolling on and off but still is somewhat dangerous. Same thing with the throttle set screws on Harleys and other older bikes but I think the attorneys took care of that. Its safer to stick with a true quick-off device as mentioned above.

Hawkrider 03-02-2008 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 154258)
Is the white paint easy to keep clean & scratch-free. Those tank bags that attach to the gas cap ring seem like they put quite a load on the fasteners &/or threaded tank inserts??

No, the paint is actually easier to keep clean since you can see where the dirt is. So when the bike is dirty, it's dirty. But when it's clean, it's truly clean.

Let us know how all the brake mods turn out. Looks like you got everything sorted.

skokievtr 03-02-2008 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 154291)
No, the paint is actually easier to keep clean since you can see where the dirt is. So when the bike is dirty, it's dirty. But when it's clean, it's truly clean.

Let us know how all the brake mods turn out. Looks like you got everything sorted.

I've had one white vehicle (a Honda Odyssy) and it was a pain to keep clean but our VTRs have a lot less surface area (though you have a lower right) and are not out much in the winter.

How many pounds can your tank bag handle? I use an old CH strap-on and Held mag unit, both which take a lot and you can lean on during long rides.

The RC51 MC seems better now that its matched but still firm with little travel (but maybe better feel). After I sanded the OEM F4i pads using 150 drywall grid (to clean and take out the bedding from the previous owners rotors), cleaned my OEM rotors with skotchbrite (I use diluted detergent and ammonia followed by 91% iso alcohol), it bites like a demon. Still I can't wait till spring to road test everything (though its a 45 today but what a mess at the cemetary for my very close aunt's funeral, whe was a stitch).

Jeepingoose 03-02-2008 12:43 PM

I see the throttlemeiters, but how does it work? I get the gist of the NEP but unsure how the TM works.

inderocker 03-02-2008 12:59 PM

This is from the Throttlemeisters website...
http://www.throttlemeister.com/TMTWIST.gif
" Once you've mounted the Throttlemeister bar ends to you bike, they work like this... All of the workings of the Throttlemeister are inside the bar end itself. Once mounted, you turn the whole bar end in the same direction as opening the throttle. A piston moves in and out of the Throttlemeister itself and puts friction against the throttle tube which in turn, counteracts the throttle return spring. When installed properly, the Throttlemeister will not completely lock the throttle, you can always override the Throttlemeister in any situation. If you need to stop quickly you can just grab the throttle and turn it off."

Jeepingoose 03-02-2008 01:01 PM

suhweet!

Jeepingoose 03-02-2008 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 154240)
Why do you need a thottle lock in HI? LOL The longest straight road is maybe 10 miles...

Ya not even, more like A mile. But I wont be here much longer God willing! I miss road trips!

Hawkrider 03-02-2008 07:59 PM

Skokie,

I've carried quite a lot with that tank bag. It'll hold 20# easy. I talked to the owner of the company and he said he had a customer test the bag by loading a cinder block (!) in it and ride around. It held up to the torture and no damage occurred to the bike, the bag, or the cinder block :lol:! Usually I don't run that tank bag on the VTR. I have two rings that mount on the tank and one bag. I usually keep the two rings on both CBRs since they both have plastic tanks. The mounting uses three screws and is quick to change out. It's a very secure system.

skokievtr 03-02-2008 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 154332)
Skokie,

I've carried quite a lot with that tank bag. It'll hold 20# easy. I talked to the owner of the company and he said he had a customer test the bag by loading a cinder block (!) in it and ride around. It held up to the torture and no damage occurred to the bike, the bag, or the cinder block :lol:! Usually I don't run that tank bag on the VTR. I have two rings that mount on the tank and one bag. I usually keep the two rings on both CBRs since they both have plastic tanks. The mounting uses three screws and is quick to change out. It's a very secure system.

very impressive. who makes it (just curious as my funds are depleted due to funeral expenses this week and I don't need one anyway)?

Hawkrider 03-03-2008 03:32 AM

Made by Luggage Locker. You guessed it: www.luggagelocker.com :mrgreen:

Jeepingoose 04-05-2008 02:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
got my throttle lock installed and tested. Im happy, if only to see peoples face when i sit on the back seat of the bike and keep up with them on the road lol

new windscreen and camera mount also up and running now.