General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

There's a hole in my boot! I mean tank.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
There's a hole in my boot! I mean tank.

So I was installing a fuel pump on my vtr today and after getting all my plumbing in I could not for the life of me figure out where a leak was coming from, and then it hit me. Right in the eye. My tank has a pinhole which was shooting a stream of gas a good 10 inches. I have no idea how it got there, doesn't look like any damage was done(i.e. dropped)... just a small 1 square inch patch which apparently was covering a hole until the shitty patch fell off. How the hell do I seal it? I suppose weld it, but thats gonna be tricky... is epoxy gas proof?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Back Marker

aka Yamadog is on a distinguished road
It's rust...water is heavier than gas. Line the tank with Barbee gas tank liner. You can get it at a radiator shop. Remove the tank internals. Put a 10 inch piece of chain in the tank and shake it to clean out what you can. Rinse with a solvent. Follow the instructions on the Barbee can
Old 03-20-2009, 05:14 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Just curious, why a fuel pump?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Superstock

Thanks yamadog.

And greg: A) I was bored B) I had one laying around and C) I suspect my petcock is leaking, so this gets rid of that.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Superstock

Well for anyone curious, I got the fuel pump mounted, wired, and plumbed, but on my way to a test ride, i noticed the headlight was out, and then my ignition fuse kept blowing. I have yet to find out why the ignition fuse was blowing (fuel pump was NOT wired into that circuit) but I think the fuses I got didn't make a good connection, and now that they're shoved down in there until I can get more everything seems fine. I think the fuel pump has totally eliminated my hard starting condition, but I am not positive yet. It was extremely hard to start before, but started perfectly after the pump was installed. I went to start it tonight after is had been sitting in 35 degree weather for 8 hours, and it did not start. The tank was upside down but still hooked up. I flipped it over and it started right up. I imagine fuel was not getting to the petcock, but due to the fickle nature of the bike I can't say if it was coincidental or not. Also, the fuel pump is self regulating, there is a diaphragm inside which, upon reaching a preset psi, shuts the pump off until the pressure drops. The pump is for an FZR, which off course had 4 carbs... I think the pump MAY be unseating the float needles and flooding the carbs. The only bases for this theory is that after the pump fills the carbs, it blips every second or two, which may be the pump forcing the float down. No gas has overflowed, nor has the bike stalled, so it's just a theory. Otherwise, I think the pump will work nicely. I'll try to get it buttoned up tonight and go for a ride and let you know how it worked out. Also I'll post pics of course.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Any motorcycle with the tank higher than the carbs gets gas to the carbs by gravity feed. Same with many very old cars with a cowl mounted gas tank, like the Ford Model A.

So, like stated above, why a fuel pump?

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 03-30-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
Mine will have a vaccume fuel pump. But thats because the lowest point of my tank will be below my float bowl's.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Superstock

As previously stated, I think my petcock was leaking, and I had an fzr fuel pump in the garage. I'll get some pics right now. And I'll thank you to put your flag away.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:29 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by maverick
As previously stated, I think my petcock was leaking, and I had an fzr fuel pump in the garage. I'll get some pics right now. And I'll thank you to put your flag away.
Like stated above, if your tank mount has not been modified, a fuel pump would be like putting carburetors on a pig...unnecessary.

The only carbureted Honda, that I know of, with a fuel pump is the original Gold Wing, starting in 1975. And that is because the "tank" is a dummy. The real tank is under the seat.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Superstock

For the third time, I think my petcock was leaking, and I had a fuel pump lying around. Some of us are students and have to make due instead of buying new parts, so if I wanted to ride my motorcycle, it was necessary. My flash quit working on my camera so I took a short video. It's uploading right now so you can see for yourself. Just to clarify, my bike has never started this well since I bought it. And I had all the parts lying around, so I say it was a success. It also forced me to get rid of that ugly reservoir in the engine valley, because I'm mounting the pump in its place. As a small benefit of the pump, Whenever I take apart the carbs, (more often than I'd like) I just turn the key on and it fills the carbs right away with no cranking. I'll post the video as soon as it uploads.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

One thing to keep an eye on is if the pump overpowers the float shutoff needles.You could flood your engine.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Superstock

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i213.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid213.photobucket.com/albums/cc125/jacobhendry/MVI_0194.flv">

Not sure if this going to work... if not here's a link.

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=MVI_0194.flv
Old 03-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Superstock

Guess it didn't work. Anybody know how to embed a video on here?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by maverick
... I think the pump MAY be unseating the float needles and flooding the carbs. The only bases for this theory is that after the pump fills the carbs, it blips every second or two, which may be the pump forcing the float down. No gas has overflowed, nor has the bike stalled, so it's just a theory.
lol good call greg.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:34 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Sorry Mav,
With the hours I'm working, my eyes glaze over on the longer posts. When I put some Mikuni HSRs in my car, I told the guy I bought them from I had a fuel pump. He reworked the float bowls so there wouldn't be a flooding issue.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Superstock

no problem. that sounded kind of mean but i meant no disrespect.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:59 PM
MotoGP

maverick, I owe you an apology. I was browsing the Firestorm UK Forum (vtr1000.org) and came across an article on installing a CBR600 fuel pump on the VTR. It states that under extreme track riding conditions fuel starvation can be a problem. Probably has to do with centrifugal force during long high speed sweepers.

I was thinking that you were undertaking an unnecessary, and perhaps dangerous project, but obviously I was wrong. And besides, judging from your video, it looks like you thought it out well.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
The only carbureted Honda, that I know of, with a fuel pump is the original Gold Wing, starting in 1975. And that is because the "tank" is a dummy. The real tank is under the seat.
I'm not trying to fuel a fire(pun haha), so to speak, but my VTX is carbed and has a damn fuel pump. I suppose the back of the tank is just a bit lower than the carb lines, but still, I hate fuel pumps on carbed bikes, just one more thing that can leave you stranded (which I watched happen to a buddy).
Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 PM
SuperBike

My fuel pump on my ducati has left me stranded about 4 times. Turns out it was full of grass?????
Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
That's what you get for living in the weeds

I watched a buddy's take a crap while we were cruising down the interstate, took us a bit to figure out what happened. This was only a few months after he had it replaced by a "reputable" mechanic. Oh yeah, and the mechanic had to order two fuel pumps the first time, because he burned up the first one when he "hooked it up to make sure it worked" without running fuel through it or anything to cool the pump.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
maverick, I owe you an apology. I was browsing the Firestorm UK Forum (vtr1000.org) and came across an article on installing a CBR600 fuel pump on the VTR. It states that under extreme track riding conditions fuel starvation can be a problem. Probably has to do with centrifugal force during long high speed sweepers.

I was thinking that you were undertaking an unnecessary, and perhaps dangerous project, but obviously I was wrong. And besides, judging from your video, it looks like you thought it out well.

Don't even sweat it. No offense taken. I'm not even sure it will work yet. I haven't even been able to take it for a test ride. I'm not going to pretend I was considering centrifugal force in high speed turns... I just thought my petcock was malfunctioning (despite a good diaphragm) and had one lying around. I welcome your criticism. To my credit, though, It seems to start every time right away now... Perhaps the petcock wasn't letting enough fuel through...

Trust me, I am probably going to do a lot of stupid things which will make this look damn near rational...

Thank you though for the apology.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Superstock

Well I finally got it on the road with the new fuel pump to test it out... I have a few concerns. My bike still has absolutely no top end... but I'm sure it's the mains. Also after it warmed up it didn't want to idle well... Anyway it seems to have pretty much fixed my hard starting issue... which leads me to believe it was never the petcock in the first place lol. As I turn the key on, the pump fills the carbs, then blips on and off continuously... I wonder if perhaps the needle isn't seating properly in the float bowl... and perhaps it never was... allowing the carbs to flood when left alone... So I suppose I'll be looking at that now... as well as removing that ridiculous fuel pump... who's dumb idea was that anyway??
Old 04-05-2009, 11:42 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I have a fuel pump fitted. It is a low pressure, internally regulated unit, commercially available from autopart stores. Previous to that I had a VFR750 pump (VFR has carbs and low pressure pump).

My needles (as in needle and seat on the floats) were a bit worn and it caused slightly poor running as you describe. New needles fixed that problem, and I have had no issues ever since.

Gravity fed fuel is ok on VTR's until you start modifying them a bit, and then they can suffer from starvation. It is possible that my bike may never suffer from this problem, but I fitted a pump anyway as insurance.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:21 AM
Superstock

Good to know... how much did you end up paying for needles? If you remember...
Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM
SuperSport

No sorry, it was too long ago.

When I pulled mine out you could see a ring around them where the rubber was worn. If yours are the same then this could be your problem. The other possibility is your pressure could be too high, although if the pump is designed for carb use it should be ok. I think the old Honda VFR & CBR pumps run at about 3psi.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:48 PM
SuperBike

hey shayne, what you think about this micro pump. Im trying to decide on using this pump or my vaccume pump.

http://www.mr-gasket.com/pdf/12S_42S.pdf
Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 PM
SuperBike

2psi sounds good

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=180670
Old 04-06-2009, 07:28 PM
SuperSport

Something like that will work ok.

The VFR & CBR pumps work well because the hose size is the same as the VTR carbs, which is 8mm I think, so they fit right on. Also, both inlet and outlet are on the same end. These two points make fitting easier.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:41 PM
SuperBike

That would make it easier, But doesnt really matter on my bike since Ive got the valley to mount it in.

Are You using yours with a pressure cut off switch or not?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Superstock

The fzr pumps are self regulating. They have an internal pressure switch. Although I think it may be too much for my charging system to maintain...

Quick Reply: There's a hole in my boot! I mean tank.