General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Superhawk Pros & Cons

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Superhawk Pros & Cons

Hey all, I'm new to this site and looking into the possibility of buying a Superhawk. I'm hoping you guys could get me up to speed on the pros and cons of ownership. I currently have a really nice '03 CBR 954 with lots of mods, but am looking to get a second bike for fun (and more mods)!

The Superhawk strikes me as a really fun, torquey V-twin made for the street. They also seem to be one of the best deals in motorcycling.

Tell me what you like and don't about your bike, what are the "must have" mods, and how much should I be looking to spend?

Thanks for your help! :-D
Old 10-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
There are a few threads on this already. Try searching.

Must have's are fairly subjective - I for one found the handlebar position to be too narrow. Others don't feel the same. I wished for a larger gas tank, but 100 miles per tank is not horrible.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:24 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Pros for me are a reasonably comfortable riding position, good handling, good power on demand, nice sound, not another cookie cutter inline 4, squids can't believe they're getting dusted by an old man on a "sport tourer".
Cons are relative lack of top end power, mediocre suspension and brakes, poor fuel range and uncomfortable stock seat.
In my opinion, everything about the Super Hawk is liveable except the stock fork setup, although the brakes leave a little (OK, more than a little) to be desired as well. Too much compression damping and too soft initial spring rate makes for a harsh, somewhat weird ride. Racetech fork springs and decent fork oil go a long way towards making the Hawk a super fun twisty road bike that will surprise a lot of people. It's not a race bike, but it's a long way from being a sport tourer.
Of course, you have to keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who just rebuilt his engine with high compression pistons and ported heads and is about to put 954 forks on his bike.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

I'm not really looking for a supersport bike (I already have one). Just something that's fun to ride and reponds well to basic mods. What kind of gas mileage could I get if I'm easy on the throttle?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:24 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I average 43 with mostly open highway riding, steady 65-70 mph and stock jetting/gearing.

I changed to Helibars and a Corbin seat to increase the comfort level

Originally Posted by jbaxx
I'm not really looking for a supersport bike (I already have one). Just something that's fun to ride and reponds well to basic mods. What kind of gas mileage could I get if I'm easy on the throttle?
Old 10-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
My mileage is in the 25-30 range - lots of stop and go through hamlets - with a Factory jet kit...and it's running too damn rich.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
And the pros? As my boss' son would say: "Mad fun. Mad bitches."
Old 10-06-2006, 08:50 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
If you want to accentuate what your superhawk does better that your 954 get an exhaust for it and just ride it. This is coming from someone who sold a hopped up ZX12 and kept their superhawk instead( I love my superhawk, and I have ALOT of stuff done to it too)- it's not going to do much other stuff performance-wise better than your 954. I can't promise you that it won't be (can probably promise you it WILL be) a more fun bike to ride and own and modify though...
Old 10-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

I went down to a local dealer today and test rode a blue '03 Hawk w/16k on it. It has a wicked sounding 2/1 hi-mount exhaust, Heli-bars and smoked screen. The bike seemed to run well, suspension was ok for just cruising around, brakes were not particularly strong. Riding position position and wind protection @ 75 mph were actually pretty decent. Bike was dropped on rt. side, tail section and right fairing are scratched and have some cheezy touch up paint over the scratches. They want $5k OTD which of course I would not pay. I might offer them $4k OTD. What do you all think?
Old 10-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Overall the VTR is a great bike... I've found the brakes to be fine with a change to Goodridge lines and EBC HH pads. Not racer stuff... but certainly not bad...

The parts you list are certanly desirable (Slip-ons & Heli bars) and very common among forum members here.

With the damage you list, I would offer less than $4000. I've seen VTRs sell in the $4000 range with no damage. It may pay to look around a bit more.

Maybe this info will be of help.... Motorcyclist Mag, August 2003
The Superhawk is selected, along with the Ducati 916, as the best used bikes in the Sport Twin class. :smile:

"Too sensible for hard-nosed sport riders and lacking range for real sport-touring, the VTR is another Honda that never quite found its niche. That's good news for used-bike byers. The DOHC V-twin is a gem, a character-rich 996cc motor with gobs of torque, and the ergo package is near perfect for Sunday-morning sorties. Criticisms include lackluster brakes -- corrected with stainless lines and decent pads -- and a 125-mile touring range. But how often do you get out for more than 125 miles on Sunday morning anyway? $4500 buys you a lot of wheelies and a lot of Honda reliability. Or, if you got extra bones laying around, .... [talks about buying left over VTRs which I don't beleive are around any longer]
Old 10-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Squid

Ogre8472 is on a distinguished road
Not to long ago I was in the same possition your in now. I bought a Superhawk beacuse it is the best around town and sport tourning bike i have ever ridden. I love the bottom end grunt and its easy to go side to side. Wheelies on command and will keep up or run away from the super sports on the back roads. A little heavy for some at 426lbs. The gas milage is okay. I seem to be around the 32-35 range with the combined spirited riding that i do. I have gone more than 130miles on a tank freeway only but i was behaving too. So if you do get one you wont be dissapointed. Enjoy.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
i've got two, so i can live with whatever minor "cons" already mentioned above.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

Here's the bike I'm looking at.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:25 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
See this post. You can get a better deal than that if this is any indication.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=3775
Old 10-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

Well, I've been looking, and from what I've found, deals like that are really rare (and usually on the other side of the country)! I won't buy a bike from pictures, so I need to find a bike in my general area that I like. This bike is a color that I like, the pipe is absolutely bad-*** sounding, and it seems to run pretty strong. I have connections with a painter that does great work and can hook me up on the cheap to fix the plastics. It needs some minor fixing here and there, but nothing too difficult or expensive. Some times you pay a little more to get what you want. No way I'm paying 5k though.

Anyone selling a low mileage, pristine '03 with full exhaust, jet kit, 15t, Heli-bars, double-bubble, throttle lock, grips and rear sets (for dirt-cheap) in So Cal should pm me right away!!