SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Suggestions for a noob? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/suggestions-noob-30147/)

jmathern 04-23-2013 11:45 PM

7moore7,
As you had previously posted, I am in it for the project, and am enjoying learning and wrenching. :-) This is the only motorcycle I have owned, and only rode a GSXR750 for a few miles 4 years ago. I got this bike running last year and put about 1500 miles on her. I guarantee she wasn't completely tuned. I'm @ an elevation of 6258, and when I took it Pikes Peak Mountain last September, she died at the top. (granted it is 14,115)

I had to remove the clutch basket to install a Factory Pro EVO star/shift kit. This is as far as I am going in to the motor. There are only a few "performance" mods that I am doing, and the remainder are primarily cosmetic.

-E.Marquez has already lightened my flywheel! Thank you man!! :-)
-Looking for CCTs and PAIR plates from superdutyd
-Going for the FactoryPro +4degree ignition advance
-Factory Pro EVO Shift Kit
-16/42 520 chain conversion
-MOSFET R/R
-HID Projector Headlight upgrade
-Braided Brake and Clutch lines
-Rebuild of factory forks with RaceTech .95KG spring and G2 Gold Valves
-I MIGHT do a rear shock upgrade through Jamie
-VFR800 Fuel Tank
-BMC Air filter
-Stage 1 Jet Kit
-Tune the HECK out of it!!!

The remainder of the project is primarily cosmetic. I built a Powder Coating Oven just for this project, and I have every intention of getting a good use out of it! lol
It's because of the parts that I am powder coating that have me replacing bearings, bushings, seals, etc. as they can not go in the oven.

I do take most of the advice I receive here, and not spending frivolously on parts is one of them. I have re-worked my order sheet, and brought down the price quite a bit.

I am having FUN!!! :-)
~Jon

7moore7 04-24-2013 04:43 AM

Ahhhhh OK, I've no knowledge of the shift kit, but that makes sense!

Good luck with everything, that's a pretty extensive list! Make sure you get the BMC street and not racing filter ;)

8541Hawk 04-24-2013 08:35 AM

Two things to add real quick.....

A +4 advancer will not work with your bike..... they are for '98-'00 only.
It will fit but will not improve anything.

Why do you want a "jet kit"? There are easier, cheaper and IMHO better running options than an aftermarket kit.

jmathern 04-24-2013 09:57 AM

Why will the advancer not improve anything on the '01?

I was under the impression if I was going to go with an aftermarket BMC Street filter, that this kit would help in gain of fuel/air mixture....? Please point me in the right direction for an alternative to the jet kit.

Thanks,
~Jon

8541Hawk 04-24-2013 10:21 AM

Because the ECU was changed in '01. So if you have the late model dash the advancer will not do you any good.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-set-up-24769/

7moore7 04-24-2013 11:39 AM

Another way of saying what Hawk is saying... It would be very difficult to tune the carbs without a good baseline. My bike came with K&N and a DynoJet kit and one of my upgrades ended up being OEM filter and carb setup using 8541Hawk's thread as a guide. Noticeably better performance.

If you have poorly tuned stock setup and throw in a jet kit and aftermarket filter, THEN tune it, you don't know how it compares to a well tuned stock setup. A well tuned stocker will arguably perform better in everyday riding (speeds between 0-100mph, better mpg, engine life, etc) than a performance tuned bike (poor mpg, have to run it to 7krpm before the power curve is better than the stock, etc)

There are people who have found differently, these are just my findings.

jmathern 05-04-2013 03:18 PM

Sneak Peek!?!

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys.
Just wanted to give a quick update on the progress.

Got CCT's from Superdutyd! I was so worried about hearing the dreaded 'clunk', but having the engine out, valve covers off, and following the direction given by everyone (special shout out to 7moore7), they were a breeze to install.

Flywheel was lightened by E.Marquez. :-)

Lots to do still, but I wanted to show a 'sneak peek' picture of some of the parts I have powder coated.

I've got many parts on order, some on back-order, so we're still looking at a month or so before she is operational again.

I wanted to get input on the carbs. I have read all 9 pages of 8541Hawk's Carb Set Up page, and have come to the "newby" conclusion that I will get 2 Keihin slow jet size 48, and being that my altitude is around 6,000ft, I will use the high altitude 172/175 main jets. Does this sound like what you would do?
If this is correct, my concern is what kind of adjustments will I be having to make if I am on a cross country tour?

~Jon

jmathern 05-09-2013 07:42 AM

Bump

"I wanted to get input on the carbs. I have read all 9 pages of 8541Hawk's Carb Set Up page, and have come to the "newby" conclusion that I will get 2 Keihin slow jet size 48, and being that my altitude is around 6,000ft, I will use the high altitude 172/175 main jets. Does this sound like what you would do?
If this is correct, my concern is what kind of adjustments will I be having to make if I am on a cross country tour? "

I have these in my shopping cart..... awaiting an experienced opinion. ;-)

~Jon

Tweety 05-09-2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by jmathern (Post 354539)
Bump

"I wanted to get input on the carbs. I have read all 9 pages of 8541Hawk's Carb Set Up page, and have come to the "newby" conclusion that I will get 2 Keihin slow jet size 48, and being that my altitude is around 6,000ft, I will use the high altitude 172/175 main jets. Does this sound like what you would do?
If this is correct, my concern is what kind of adjustments will I be having to make if I am on a cross country tour? "

I have these in my shopping cart..... awaiting an experienced opinion. ;-)

~Jon

I'd say get the jets, set the bike up with the stock jets first, swap those in and get a feel for the difference... It should be noticable...

Once you get the bike set up, if you ever want to go cross-country, one option is a Flow-Commander... It's not an multipurpose do all device... But it does make it easy to make small adjustements to the carbs, and combined with the needle adjustments you can probably account for altitude as well as heat/humidity changes pretty well...

Just be aware, whatever you do, except leaving it bone stock, not touching anything, you will get to play with the carbs, disassembling the parts needed about a dozen or so times... Just count on it...

jmathern 05-14-2013 09:27 PM

Could this be the dumbest question ever?

2 Attachment(s)
So.... I am starting to put my Hawk back together after a longer period than originally anticipated, but... I have a few "left-overs!" lol The washer picture that I have attached is an "unknown" part. I can NOT find this in any of the Microfiche available, but I believe that it goes between the Rear Brake Caliper Holder and the Swing Arm. Any input?

ROUGH* Dimensions: Outer 35x2mm, Inner 22mm

~Jon

E.Marquez 05-15-2013 04:45 AM

Looks like a a seal for the steering head bearing

7moore7 05-15-2013 09:08 AM

Is that rubber or metal? Are the edges turned up like the dust seals that marquez is talking about?

Could be part number 17? The dimensions are not quite right though (31.5x20x2)...
Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1998>VTR1000F>REAR WHEEL

smokinjoe73 05-15-2013 09:19 AM

+1 on the steering seal being the only thing that looks like that. It actually looks like the lower one that is under the bottom cone but that would never be loose so maybe the upper.

jmathern 05-15-2013 06:13 PM

Nope....

1 Attachment(s)
7moore7,
It is made of metal, coated in rubber(1 side), and is very flat. It is not the washer you pointed to, as that one is all metal and has been accounted for.

Erik,
Both of the steering head dust seals were discarded as I installed new AllBalls steering bearings....

The mystery continues....

jmathern 05-30-2013 01:27 AM

Still need help finding a home....

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all! :-)
I hate to bring this up again, but I still have found no place for the above washer. Anybody else want to chime in?

Here are a couple progress photos..

~Jon

E.Marquez 05-30-2013 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by jmathern (Post 355988)
Hello all! :-)
I hate to bring this up again, but I still have found no place for the above washer. Anybody else want to chime in?

Here are a couple progress photos..

~Jon

Jon, not sure,, but with the looks, materials and size of the washer you have...steering head stem bearing cover is the only thing I can think of.. I've had two different SH apart to the last nut and bolt.... so not an expert.. but.... nothing else comes to mind.

E.Marquez 05-30-2013 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 354978)
+1 on the steering seal being the only thing that looks like that. It actually looks like the lower one that is under the bottom cone but that would never be loose so maybe the upper.

Ahh, but Jon did say he replaced the steering head bearings....so that seal from the kit would have been off(loose before install)

Jon,, did you install the lower seal BEFORE you installed the lower bearing?

And even if you think you did,, go have a look now...

E.Marquez 05-30-2013 06:44 AM

Anything look familiar here

From the allballs site. look down the page 1/2 way
http://www.allballsracing.com/22-1020.html

If thats not it, Im stumped..

smokinjoe73 05-30-2013 07:24 AM

Yeah, Eric, thats it, and J, is there any possibility you A) Dont have one in there
B)Got 2 and ones left over C) Didnt "discard" both other seals or D) All of the above?

I gotta say I had one of those same things left over from a CBR600 rebuild project years ago and had it for years.

Oh, and E) Just let it go and get on with you candy-apple superhawk. It needs your attention.

I would hate the see how you act about your ex-girlfriends. MOVE ON SOLDIER

jmathern 05-30-2013 08:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well fellas,
I did double check the seals that I put on for the steering bearings. The seals that come with the Allballs have a cupped lip, and this washer does not fit over the steering stem on that note. The only place that I can possibly think it could go is on the rear axle between the rear caliper bracket and the swing-arm.... but I really don't have a freaking clue...

Joe,
All the painted parts that you see are actually powder coated. :-) It's "V-twin Black" and "Translucent Red." Though depending on the thickness of the powder I applied, it does change color a little here and there.

I am moving on....

~Jon

7moore7 05-30-2013 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by jmathern (Post 356006)
rear caliper bracket and the swing-arm.... but I really don't have a freaking clue...

~Jon

If it has rubber on it, it doesn't go there. I'm with marquez, probably your old dust seal. A new one came with allballs, right?