General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Somthing Unexpected

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Squid

dirt899 is on a distinguished road
Somthing Unexpected

I,ve been ridding an 04 hawk for about a year and a half. I'm not new to bikes but haven't been on the street for a few years. Did some road racing in the late 80's and been motocrossing untill I got the hawk.

I thought about upgrading the hawk's suspention but picked up an 08 cbr 1000rr instead. Needless to say the cbr is a hell of a bike. Way more capable at all things performance related.

That leads to the unexpected part. Last week I fired up the hawk and took it for a ride after a couple months on the cbr. I still love the hawk! It's loud, a bit rumbly and a ton of fun on the street. It feels like an old freind.

I guess I'm gonna have to figure out a way to keep three bikes in my life, two street and one dirt. The bad part is after dumping $1,500.00 into the cbr to get it how I want it now I want to start in on the hawk too.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:45 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
And your complaint is what?
Old 03-28-2010, 06:56 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
sounds like a mild case of polygamy to me. OK if you're from Utah or you can get away with it. No sympathy here.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:57 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Lol man modding is a disease. I feel your pain. I have 2 race quads that I also mod.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
What's unexpected about that?

I have owned other bikes... I keep coming back to the hawk... I'm not alone...
Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 AM
Squid

dirt899 is on a distinguished road
The unexpected part is that I thought with a more modern bike the hawk would lose it's charm.

O well, back to the ebay search for cbr suspention and brakes for the hawk. Thank god for overtime.

The good news is I have somting to ride while I tinker with the other.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:53 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
Welcome to my world. LOL

The hawk is so much easier to ride because of the torque. Even at the track. Where I constantly shift my TT600, I use a single gear on the Hawk. At roebling, I used 3rd most of the way around except coming out of the final turn. I went up two on the straight, then down 2 going into turn 1.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 AM
Squid

nwellinghoff is on a distinguished road
haha - I feel your pain...I picked up an 1125R at a steal last fall/winter after Buell got the ax. Now I have two of the same type of bike (plus a '75 BMW). I don't think this would be a problem if I lived somewhere where I could ride more than half the year, but it is tough to give them all the love they deserve. Oh yeah and find garage space.

Still a good problem to have though!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nwellinghoff
haha - I feel your pain...I picked up an 1125R at a steal last fall/winter after Buell got the ax. Now I have two of the same type of bike (plus a '75 BMW). I don't think this would be a problem if I lived somewhere where I could ride more than half the year, but it is tough to give them all the love they deserve. Oh yeah and find garage space.

simplify your life. give me one! If you pay for a bus ticket out there, i can even pick it up.hahahaha
just kiddin, I got everything I want now.One to ride in the winter on dirty roads and one for summer.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nwellinghoff

Originally Posted by nath981
simplify your life. give me one! If you pay for a bus ticket out there, i can even pick it up.hahahaha
just kiddin, I got everything I want now.One to ride in the winter on dirty roads and one for summer.
Forget him, I'll pay for my own bus ticket out there to pick it up!

I got to ride an 1125. Sell the hawk!

Hmmm...is this thread hijacking?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
I can relate. I have an '04 CBR1000RR that is nicely modded and one hell of a bike, but the Superhawk is still the bike I ride every day. While the CBR will destroy the Superhawk at the track, the 'Hawk is the better daily driver streetbike. Kinda like your favorite pair of jeans that fit just right.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jbaxx
I can relate. I have an '04 CBR1000RR that is nicely modded and one hell of a bike, but the Superhawk is still the bike I ride every day. While the CBR will destroy the Superhawk at the track, the 'Hawk is the better daily driver streetbike. Kinda like your favorite pair of jeans that fit just right.
that's a pretty good analogy. I had an 84 1000 interceptor, then an 88 cbr1000f Hurricane with 3.5 and 5.5 wheels on it, that did the 1/4 in 10.6sec and 160mph on top. And as soon as I rode the SuperHawk in 2000, I sold two bikes to get it and have never wanted anything else since. That sound, that torque, and the comparative weight reduction was and is enough to keep me happy.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
I totally agree keep all ur bikes, they are like gun, as soon as u get rid of one u will miss it an want it back, as soon as i buy something its mine for a long long long time, thats why i have sooo many projects, and yet its still not a problem yet, hehehe
Old 03-29-2010, 01:04 PM
WickedWendy
Squid

WickedWendy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NCDave
Welcome to my world. LOL
From what i hear there are probably quite a few who would like to be in your world....you get to have women and men on the side and your wife knows and doesn't even care!! what a life!! ROFL!!

guess i should have taken your teasing more serious!! but then i may have ended up being the one having your baby!! another ROFLMAO!!
what did you ever do about the baby "cinnamon" is having??
Old 03-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Squid

Third Echelon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jbaxx
But then you take your freakin' VFR to Joshua Tree instead of the SHawk and leave me hangin'
Old 03-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Third Echelon
But then you take your freakin' VFR to Joshua Tree instead of the SHawk and leave me hangin'
Hey, at least I didn't bring the CBR!! haha
Old 03-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Squid

Barch is on a distinguished road
Here's the deal...

Who do you have to justify this to?
You? Then quit worrying and ride.
Wife? Then memorize these points until even you believe it.

1. This is the worst time in history to sell a used bike. In other words, you can't afford to sell it now. You're much better off holding onto it till the market improves in a couple years and selling it then. In this bike market, you make money by buying bikes, not selling them.
2. Since it's no longer made, you are fortunate enough to have a future classic in your garage. Only a fool would let a classic slip through his fingers -esp. in today's bike market.
3. It sounds like you feel that the bike should be improved. It would be mighty irresponsible to sell someone a flawed bike. Could you live with yourself if you did that?
4. You've thought long and hard about it and realized that you don't really need the AR-15 you were going to buy with the meager amount you would have gotten for the SH.
5. Because, like with her, you feel a strong commitment and respect for everything good in your life. If you just dump the bike for a sleeker, faster model, what does that say about you as a partner?
6. Without the SH, there will be too much of a gap between the CBR and the F800GS you're thinking about getting next.

Good luck.
Brian
03 Jardine HighMounts