General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

So have you...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Squid

Asleep@theWheel is on a distinguished road
So have you...

So I was thinking, how many of you have been down? And if so, how long had you been riding before you went down? And those who haven't, how long have you been riding?

I have been riding everyday since July '07, and haven't dumped it yet. Everyone is always telling me how many people they know who have been hurt on bikes...or worse...
It gets old, but goes with have a bike I guess
Old 03-29-2008, 03:08 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
it happens from time to time.

especially if your asleep at the wheel!.....lol!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:32 AM
Miss the food at T.W.O.
Squid

truepath is on a distinguished road
yep been down, riding since I was 7 or 8
Old 03-29-2008, 06:50 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
On the street only once - my second year of road riding at age 17 - wasn't technically my fault, car pulled out in front of me. But now I probably would have anticipated it or reacted better. But in the 31 years since, no street incidents and I think I ride far to the sporty side of riding. But I don't think it was a coincidence that my accident occured at that age and during my first years of riding. No doubt some of it is luck - wrong place wrong time etc. BUT, being careful, having the judgment to know when to be particularly careful, good skills, maturity to keep your ego in check when you need to, all seem to make us more LUCKY.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
On the street:
1. Parking lot at a community college. The kickstand wasn't all the way extended. Been riding three years at this point.

2. Ice-patch on Angeles Crest. 4.5 years.

3. Side-swiped by a truck on the freeway. 6 years.

On the track:
1. Low-side at buttonwillow. 5 years.

2. Low-side doing Supermoto due to cold tires (n00b mistake!). 7 years.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
6 times..that I can remember...and 1 on the track
Mostly car driver's faults but not all.
It happens, careful or not. Wear good gear hot or cold, pay attention, don't be stoopid, and you'll ride for decades with minimal dumps.
I've been riding over 30 years.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:37 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I've been riding for 13 years, on the street for 5.

Numerous accidents in the dirt with a broken hand, and fractured L4 vertebrate along with a laceration and a chipped ulna.

4 1/2 years into street riding (over the winter) I was hit in 2 seperate incidents by other motorcyclists not paying attention. No injuries exept for the last guy that tried to take me out broke his foot. The Superhawk faired better than the other bikes in both instances, and despite being totaled now, is back on the road with fresh paint.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:24 PM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
I've been riding since april 27,2007 (I know this because I have to take the msf course before my permit expires) and I've never dropped my bike. I tipped it over once in the garage at work though.. it has that slippery type smooth cement. No damage was done. Yay.

KG
Old 03-29-2008, 07:01 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
My first ride was a 3.5hp Cushman scooter that I rode out of town to work at the local airport. I was fourteen yo at the time. I traded my time and skills (?) for flying lessons. I never crashed the Cushman or one of the planes. That would come later. I solo'd four aircraft on my 16th birthday.

Bikes and years later a buddy came home from 'Nam all fucked up in the head but was at his best after a day in the mud and the trails. Mud was heavan. The moonshine was good too. The food was fantastic. Everbody did days at the hospital.

If you're involved with the sport and you enjoy it - it's like they teach you at the MSF courses - accepted but educated risk.
Attached Thumbnails So have you...-pic00001.jpg  
Old 03-30-2008, 01:54 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I bought my first streetbike 34 years ago this month. I fell over once trying to motor out of a parking space with a disc lock on. I fell off once riding through the gate to my back yard. I've had more close calls than I could count but I've never crashed on the street. Knocking on wood as I type.

I don't have any illusions about being crash proof, it could happen to anybody and it has happened to many better riders than me. But I also refuse to believe that crashing and getting hurt is "inevitable". I think I'm better off not holding that thought in the back of my mind. Some people do ride all their lives without getting hurt.

I like to think that if I pay strict attention to what I'm doing, ride actively and agressively without being reckless, leave the ipod at home and view every bonehead in a car as a potential killer, I can get through the next 34 years in one piece.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:36 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I've been riding for 40 years, mostly on the street. I haven't collided with another vehicle and so far no other vehicles have collided with me. I've crashed without help a few times. Only two nasty ones so far: wadded up a beautiful Bultaco Metralla in 1970 and wobbled and crashed an SR500E in 1988. I crashed an 80 cc Suzuki when I grounded a footpeg while going around a bumpy corner. I crashed an H-1 through overconfidence and overbraking on a wet road. I crashed my VTR at less than 3 kph after I missed a sign warning of a stop around a corner. I didn't crash a Triumph Mountain Cub, a KT250 and a Hawk GT through the grace of God. I was lucky to get through the Darwin school of motorcycling. There was no rider training when I started. I'm more prudent now and have a lower testosterone level.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:00 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
A few days before I had my license 17 years ago, car pulled on the side, I was to go by and too fast, he came back in his lane, locked the front wheel and laid the bike down like I had to do, the bike crashed under the car I went form 80 kph (50 MPH) to 0 (0 MPH ) on my *** no harm, but the car that followed me had a hell of a time to stop in time.
115 $ of damage on my CB450 Nighthawk
Technically not my fault, but morally my fault I should have predicted dumb *** behavior, witch I do religiously since then...
I bought the SH upright, still upright.

Last edited by gboezio; 03-30-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:09 AM
The Underdog
Back Marker

Edwards07 is on a distinguished road
I dumped my bike after my second year of riding at 18. I had just moved up from my virago to an R6. 4 days into having the R6 i high sided. wasn't that bad thank god. But after you crash, you watch yourself a lot more, you know?

-Miles
Old 03-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Only once on the street. Third year, dumbass mistake. Cold tire on a damp night....right turn from a stop sign. Zzzip! High side.

Picked it up, pushed it back into the parking lot. Broken left faring and handlebar clip. Broken left collarbone. That was a painful ride home. At least I didn't have to reach forward for the handlebar, just held it in my lap!

Had an old guy back into me in a parking lot. Had to replace my Vance and Hines with Microns after that. Just lucky he hit the pipe instead of my leg. REALLY lucky he noticed he hit me and didn't keep backing over me! I wasn't even moving. Just waiting for traffic to clear so I could pull out of the parking lot.

Raced Moto-x for years, so I've been down in the dirt more times than I can count.

Last edited by rbrais; 03-31-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:00 AM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
36 years riding. I've now owned 17 bikes, including my current SH and ST 1300. 3 times down. Once in the dirt at age 20, broken leg (still have a pin/plate/4 screws in my left upper femur from that one). Twice on the street, nothing serious. ALL of them my fault.

I'm an AMA and IBA (Iron Butt Association) member, and put about in about 40,000 miles a year on 2 wheels. Here are my 3 rules for riding:

1. Dress for the crash, not the ride.
2. Never trust anyone in a cage.
3. Never let ego overcome ability.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:10 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I didn't grow up riding. My first intereset in motorcycles was about age 2, when my dad had a 250 Matchless (I'm pretty sure that's what it was) that he put together on a sheet of plywood in his basement. My mom has pictures of me all stretched out over the tank to reach the handlebars. I used to get rides to the baby sitter on it.

Then my dad got a Suzuki X6 Scrambler. I can still remember helping him take it out of the crate. By the time I was old enough, dad had long-since quit riding and I didn't get into riding until much later. I finally scraped together $1500 for a CBR600 Hurricane in '93 after owning a couple of basket-cases.

It wasn't until I got my VTR that I finally let it out of the bag. I was finally making some money, and became completely obsessed. I had good coaching about being careful about getting too confident. I did a few track days and lots of riding in the Sierra Nevada mountains. It is great training ground, and I could finally consider myself a rider after three years.

The third year I was heavily involved in remodelling my house and didn't get to ride much. I got the one track day in June on the blue version of my bike you've all seen. It was finally done. I did a road trip to Laguna Seca for the races, but other than that not much time to ride and it drove me crazy.

I figured I had finally gotten over and lived through the learning curve. I was pretty sure the dangerous part was over for me. But I hadn't gotten my yayas out on the track and had a need for speed. The pace picked up a lot, when the road got less twisty and I didn't have the maturity to hold back when I needed to.

I guess the reason I keep harping on mine, is because it was avoidable, and it's a mistake that new riders often make. I hope I can have some influence in helping others avoid it.

I never rode much in traffic. I guess I'm fortunate in not having to.

BTW, the obsession is back. And I think it's stronger than ever!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Back Marker

TheRezyReb is on a distinguished road
Been riding streetbikes for about 17 years, I've been down 3 times. The last was about 5 years ago, leaving from a red light on a four lane road with a middle turn lane. Dumb beeeeoch decided she needed to be in the turn lane, her rear tire hit my front and wham, lucky for me we where only doing about 20mph. Had some fairing damage, but when she didn't stop i threw my $600 Aria helmet and it hit her rear windshield. She then pulled over and said she never saw me and didn't know that she had hit me, I was like "realy, guess all that blue paint was already there?" Insurance wouldn't replace my helmet.
The other was a man hole cover that I hit while braking and the front washed out. The next was in a parking lot, someone backed out in front of me.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:47 AM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
The way I see it, there are three kinds of riders:
1. The ones that are going down.
2. The ones that have been down.
3. The ones that are going down again.

I'm in group three, I ride every day and I ride to have fun, this involves a certain amount of risk, ergo, I know it'll happen again.
Dress for the crash and practice your skills every time you're on the bike, from countersteering to panic braking.

Kai Ju, having fun playing in traffic.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:47 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I have been down off road on my Superhawk. :P It was a situation where I had the choice of going down on the pavement, or driving off into the desert.. I chose the desert then tipped over after coming to a stop in soft sand.

Oh, and riding since I was 4, so umm 27 years of riding. Though it was 25 yrs at the time.

Been down plenty of times on dirt bikes quads etc.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Squid

Silverstorm is on a distinguished road
5 years of driving, haven't gone down yet with a motorcycle on the road.. (knock on wood)

But crashed several mopets and monobikes growing up.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
I rode since 13 year of age and down 4 times (hospitalized 1) all on streets, there was a time i quit riding about 5 years so -5 still have 21 years of total riding time. Motorcycle just like drug when you know it you never quit.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:25 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by kai ju
The way I see it, there are three kinds of riders:
1. The ones that are going down.
2. The ones that have been down.
3. The ones that are going down again.

I'm in group three, I ride every day and I ride to have fun, this involves a certain amount of risk, ergo, I know it'll happen again.
Dress for the crash and practice your skills every time you're on the bike, from countersteering to panic braking.

Kai Ju, having fun playing in traffic.
FWIW, here's what I think; If you believe you MUST go down, or MUST go down AGAIN, you're increasing the chance of proving yourself right.

And if you think you need not go down or go down again, your're increasing the chance of proving yourself right.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
" FWIW, here's what I think; If you believe you MUST go down, or MUST go down AGAIN, you're increasing the chance of proving yourself right.

And if you think you need not go down or go down again, your're increasing the chance of proving yourself right. "

In a perfect world, where there is no traffic, or at least no morons, you would be absolutely correct. But it isn't and there are. I can only control what I do, not somebody else's actions.
So if I continue to ride every day, somebody or something will contribute to a mishap.
Hence my advice to dress for the crash and to practice your skills so that you can minimize the mishap.

Here is another way to look at it:
Have you ever cut yourself shaving ?
If so, did you stop shaving ?
Do you think you'll never cut yourself again ?
If so, you're dreaming.

Kai Ju
Old 04-01-2008, 12:53 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by kai ju
" FWIW, here's what I think; If you believe you MUST go down, or MUST go down AGAIN, you're increasing the chance of proving yourself right.

And if you think you need not go down or go down again, your're increasing the chance of proving yourself right. "

In a perfect world, where there is no traffic, or at least no morons, you would be absolutely correct. But it isn't and there are. I can only control what I do, not somebody else's actions.
So if I continue to ride every day, somebody or something will contribute to a mishap.
Hence my advice to dress for the crash and to practice your skills so that you can minimize the mishap.

Here is another way to look at it:
Have you ever cut yourself shaving ?
If so, did you stop shaving ?
Do you think you'll never cut yourself again ?
If so, you're dreaming.

Kai Ju
I haven't stopped shaving, I bought an electric razor. Haven't cut myself in over three years! But seriously,

I attribute my first 4 or 5 years of crash free riding, without helmet, regularly clubbing and drunk, as fast as My Norton Commando would carry me, to pure luck and the love of God.

I don't disagree with you about the realities or the chances/statistics. I am now always fully geared up when I leave the driveway. I never ride drunk or high.

I assume every car driver is a hitman hired to kill me.

I just think expectation/belief/intention is part of how I've made it this far without wrecking. If the statistical chance of my going the rest of my life without crashing is one in two, or one in five, or one in ten, it is my intention to squirt through the hole and reach the other side in one piece.

And I strongly believe that my intention makes it more likely I will do so. No guarantee, just more likely.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:56 AM
RK1
MotoGP

more thoughts;

I think technical skill is really important and will keep you safe. Presence of mind, temperment, paying attention to what you're doing and what is happening around you will keep you safe.

Also, if you get on your bike intending to make it through the day, week, month, your life without wrecking, I believe the universe takes note of and respects that intention. If you get on your bike with the attitude that it is only a matter of time before your wreck and get maimed or killed, the universe takes note of and respects that also. I don't have a guarantee, but my intention is to die of old age, not in a motorcycle crash.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:41 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RK1
I don't have a guarantee, but my intention is to die of old age, not in a motorcycle crash.

Me Too!!

I'm definitely not going to die of boredom...
Old 04-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Back Marker

Tonyizcool1 is on a distinguished road
A few times.

Dirt.....All the freaking time, no big damages to myself.
Street ......Only once, I blame cold damp morning. Had been riding for a few years
Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RCVTR
Me Too!!

I'm definitely not going to die of boredom...
Yeah, RCVTR. I don't do boredom. When I even start wondering what it is, I'll look out the window, see my VTR, my own personal "A" ticket amusement park ride. Let's go. "Boredom" and riding my bike are mutually exclusive.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Squid

luckyluke is on a distinguished road
been riding for over twenty years...two street bike drops. Once at a gas station while attempting a graceful dismount, got caught up in the kick stand and had the bike land on top of me. Wanting to protect the bike, I extended my arm to protect the bike, still have a bone chip floating around my elbow. The other time leaving the house pissed off after a heated argument. Took off on one wheel, approached a 90 degree turn too fast, too late.... kissed a telephone pole. Somehow (again wanting to protect my baby) the bike cleared the poll and rolled nicely to a stop in the farmer's field; no damage. Dislocated my shoulder but no one witnessed it and I was able to get up and drive to another location to properly assess the damage...... What I've learnt: a) don't ride when I'm pissed off. b) a couple of beers before a ride is NOT OK . c) ride like everyone's out to hit you.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Well, as we say in race rider training, "If you think you are going to crash, you will crash." And, "To finish first, first you must finish."

It's over 2 milliion kilometres (1.6 million miles) since I crashed on the road. I fell off about 5 times in my first 2 years on the road - aged 15-17 (you can get your license at age 15 in NZ).

But, yes, I have a crash about every 2 years road racing; only one bad one in 35 years of it: a major highside at about 120mph, resulting in a dislocated hip, dislocated shoulder, broken collarbone, lots of cuts and grazes.

And offroad - yep, crashing in the mud and dirt is how you learn not to crash that way next time, offroad or onroad. I once a special award for most artistic get-off in a trial.

Quick Reply: So have you...