General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

SHawk vs. CBR 600 F4i

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Superstock

mikecronis
SHawk vs. CBR 600 F4i

Asside from the fuel-injection vs. carberation, they seem to have the same stats. My wife just bought hers (it's being lowered via the same route I went by, that is, via suspension linkage).

Stats seem the same, with the SHawk being a tad faster in the 0-60, and hers being $1000 less. Handles the same? I don't know yet. Same tires it seems, or thereabouts. Different plastics.

Which is better, or are they too similar?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:28 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: SHawk vs. CBR 600 F4i

Interesting question. I've had both but it's two superhawks to one F4i so you can guess which way I'm going to go.

The F4i is more polished and has sharper handling at the expense of a tad less stability. I like the FI but if it ever lets you down, you will be down, crappy carbueration can still get you home. The F4i's riding positon is more extreme with less legroom and a shorter screen. Probably a non-issue with ya'll if you're having to lower bikes.

Bottom line: both are great bikes but the VTR has a better street engine.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

The queston is what are you looking for? If you are looking for something to take to the track or something to take on the back roads?

I havnt ridden a stock F4I but.......With a powercommander and an exhaust on it - the F4I is very smooth, allo throught the rev range (not like the 89 600 CBR "hurricane" I had).

The F4I is injected which makes tining easier, but more expensive $

Riding position - the shawk is more laid back, the CBR makes you fit the bike. It requires you to do more of a tuck. Less leg room too. I am 180lbs and 6'2

The F4I is wider than the shawk, and it feels fatter beacuse of the design. By comparision the shawk is very narrow.

The F4I's motor lets you know how fast you are going, the shawk is so smooth that before you know it your speeding.

Torque - shawk has it all here.

Personally I ride on the street, and I bought a bike with that in mind. I dont care it I have 152 horse power if its at 13,000RPM's where I cant use it on the street.

The V-Twin engine has a lot of personality to it. It vibrates a lot compared to inline 4's. The vibration isnt annoying, but just adds to the appeal of the bike.

I appreciate the sound of a nice inline 4, but when I hear a nice 4 twin that turns my crank. For me the superhawk is a affordiable duc. You get that great twin sound and feel, coupled with honda reliability.

Dont be fooled into thinking that they are similar, there engines are 2 totaly differnt animals.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:28 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
I owned an 02 F4i (bought new in 01), and loved the bike endlessly. Sold it only after I got laid off, one of the biggest mistakes of my motorcycling life.

I now have an 02 superhawk. If I wanted a 600, I would seriously consider the F4i again, as it is one of the most comfortable and the best all around 600 out there even today.

I would not, however, compare it to superhawk, as they are two totally different machines. Superhawk is a lot faster off the line, and the torque simply overwhelms the F4i's, and is not even comparable.

I love both bikes, but given the choice of only one bike, I would keep my superhawk.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

ive had 4 cbr's and 3 superhawks .... ok ok, i lied there.... i did have an f4i 2001 and a 600f2 1994 , and now i have a sexy red 98 hawk.

the bikes are night and day buddy... literally. yeah yeah they both handle well, blah blah.... the above posts are right on to the T . i am 25, and 7 of my 9 years of ridin have been on honda cbr's . once you go twin, youll never look back! the cbr is boring to the SH . i know i KNOW , you guys are gonna yell at me now. just my opinion now. its that i cant ride it hard in the city chasin the girls, and if i do, ill get a ticket just for ripin it to 10 grand on a night time hotspot for 5 seconds....sometimes i NEED that top end urge.. usually hits when i start to grit my teeth and the car in front of me turns off the road and i got open space... only time it was a blast was out in the middle of nowhere in twisties, which is when i CAN actually get out there. so, now.... sigh.... i can go to work, stop and go 35mph zones, then bust on freeway, and have so much fun. trust me when i say this, you will NEVER EVER have more fun on any bike if your doin city hooligan drivin or blastin around some twisties.

so anyways, yeah, two different bikes. both are fun, but the SH engine is more practical and tactical for street mischief . also, ive sampled 3 girls this year on the back and all 3 of them have said its more comfy and they dont slide forward and smash my junk on the tank like my old cbr's
Old 05-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Squid

timc

I just got my 03 Superhawk new from the dealer and I love it. I owned a cbr and a zx6r. I have to say that you cannot even compare the two to the superhawk. I have way more fun with the SH becuase of the V-twin power. For being a litter bike and having alot of power it is easy to ride.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Originally Posted by timc
I just got my 03 Superhawk new from the dealer and I love it. I owned a cbr and a zx6r. I have to say that you cannot even compare the two to the superhawk. I have way more fun with the SH becuase of the V-twin power. For being a litter bike and having alot of power it is easy to ride.
hahah, i like that - litter bike. makes me think it runs on feces of my kitty's litter.... probably from the growl it makes and why dogs bark so violently at it compared to an IL4 . . . ( i know , simple type o , but made me laugh) hey, i was the one that said steering dampender instead of damper . that reminds me.... have you guys considered putting a steering damper on the SH ? i mean ive seen videos of IL4's tankslappin and crashin.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Superstock

mikecronis

Well, my wife Becky got the 2005 CBR F4i as it suits her. I've ridden it around and it feels a lot less powerful and slower and a bit lighter. Torque seems to be somewhere above 7k rpms (didn't go there due to break-in period) which is beyond where I like to shift anyway. Handling is spastic and Ninja 250-like but unconfident whereas the SHawk deeply leans in and digs quickly and assuredly.

There's no power on this CBR thing. WOT produces no snap-your-head-back response whatsoever. The bike feels like it was made for a girl (so it works out well for us.) Torque must me up in stratospheric rpms.

The SHawk has omnipresent torque at all rpms and is WAY more stable.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
yes, the poswer most definitely is high in rpm range, around 8.5k plus. i likes my cbr's... they were nimble street comfy machines. but no WHERE NEAR the personality of the SH . and its oh so nice to ride with my buddies or past some people on sport bikes and your the only one with a twin .... harley guys like you too if they finally hear the bike.... knodding with apporval in their own way at stop lights. this bike is pissed off at the world. they shoulda made the thing only in black cus its so angry. then again, ive only had honda red bikes and cars
Old 06-03-2005, 06:13 AM
Squid

biker2k
well, heres my 5 cents (2 is never enough)

I have an 91 f2, 01 929 and 01 hawk....
my brother has a f4i
and i have ridden numerous f3's

the appeal of the cbr 600 line came from the fact that they did everything well, you could tour on the same bike that you took to the track..

the f2,f3 and f4 all kept that ideal in thier crosshairs....

the f4i however lost that it seemed like a bike more at home on the track than the street but still wasn't that great at the track....

They should have kept the f4 the way it was and then made a 600rr

so to get to the point... The f4i is not even close to being in the same leage ast the hawk...

it's less comfortable
it has a less accessible powerband
and not really a match for it on the track
let's not forget that they were racing superhawks before they ever had an rc51.

for the real world and even for track days the shawk makes the f4i look stupid

on the other hand the 600rr is a better track bike and the f4 and f3's are actually more comfortable to ride on the street

anyway you still can't put a price on the soul of a twin it allows you to enjoy the bike all of the time instead of only when revving it out.

i could go on but i think i have already added like 6 or 8 cents when i should have limited myself to 5.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:52 AM
Squid

v2weapon

1. Put a free-flowing exhaust on the F4i and the VTR, and the choice is clear. Angry bumblebee or growling predator? Easy choice there.
2. Ride the Dragon on the F4i and the VTR. Drop the 'hawk into 3rd gear and torque through every apex. The F4i has you tap-dancing on the shifter constantly to keep it screaming in the powerband. Easy choice there.
3. Strap on some soft bags, snuggle up to a breast-enhanced passenger (with matching knee pucks), and chase the horizon for 10 hours on each of the two bikes. See which of the two leaves you more fatigued and sore at the end of the day. I don't think it will be the Superhawk.
4. Cookie-cutter I-4 sportbikes are boring. Chrome it, custom paint it, bolt on all the goofy neon lights you want...and it's still just like the other 2 million CBRs, GSXRs, YZFs, and ZXs. Conformity is a disease. V-twin sportbikes are the cure. 8)

I agree with others who've said this; once you ride a liter-class twin, you're ruined for anything else. I wouldn't give a teaspoon of hamster vomit for spec sheet ego stroking, top speed numbers, or dragstrip ETs on the street. Give me a reliable, comfortable bike with character, telepathic handling, and the ability to squirt past oblivious SUV soccer moms with as little drama as possible. The CBR600F4i is a great 600. The VTR is a great motorcycle.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:52 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
v2weapon is very much on point here. Well said.
I rode a buddy's '04 R6 recently. I kept twisting the grip, wondering where the power was! (Ok, so I'd just gotten off his "05 R1, so that's understandable.)
Nothing was wrong with it. It's a great bike. But it's a 600 & you just have to rev it like hell & work the trans over to stay in its powerband. Great fun, actually.
CBR, R6....you can throw a blanket over all the 600s, 'cause they all pretty much function the same. Everybody's got one. Super Hawk is totally different.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:31 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, very well said V2weapon
Old 06-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Back Marker

thegreep

Well, I've only got one reply, any Honda bike is great. However, after being spoiled by the hawk I would be forced to buy my wife (if she were actually a rider, sadly she's not) an SV650. Light, fast and I wouldn't mind riding it for the gas mileage once in a while. . .
Old 06-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by v2weapon";p=&quot
Conformity is a disease. V-twin sportbikes are the cure. 8)
Possibly V-5 engines are the answer, but that is another subject.

I totally agree with V2 weapons statement.

I dont think that I will ever go back to IL-4's
Old 06-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

gentlemen.... its not about V2Weapon being right.... he's actually just written us an OMEN... for which will be my away message every night! perfectly put. dot. period. end. enjoy the road.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Superstock

mikecronis

My gas milage on my SHawk is the same as on my wife's CBR because she has to rev up to 8k rpms whereas I can keep around 3 to 4k rpms due to omnipresent torque while doing nice light cruising at 75-85mph.

Wuuuzzzzah!

I'm currently getting 44.5 mpg plus or minus 3 mpg. (I got 47.5 ONCE on a looong 70 mph haul.)
Old 06-03-2005, 10:46 PM
SuperSport

Cleveland....huh?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Squid

timc

Well, I finally went on a Long ride after buying my new hawk. We set out to go from San Jose to Jackson about 300 mile round tripper. I rode with two 600rr's and a F3 I do have to say my superhawk held its own up top against one of the 600rr's. At low end and around the turns it didnt take much for the hawk to puul away. I dont really care about drag race numbers or track times, but this is my first V-twin bike and it is awsome.
Tim
Old 06-04-2005, 06:29 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

I'll offer up another scenario where the SuperHawk rulez....

Unfortunately some of the best riding roads in my area are around two lakes (hilly terrain) that are heavily populated with retirees. Running an IL4 with a 15k redline in the upper ranges where it makes it's serious power produces a "banshee" type affect and you can be heard for miles around even with a stock pipe. However, I can stick the VTR in 3rd and "lug" around at 3k and not raise an eyebrow with the locals. When I had an F4i, I still had to ride it like the 'hawk on these roads thus not having near the fun since it didn't have NEAR the pull out of the corners at those rpms.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Originally Posted by NOrrTH";p=&quot
Cleveland....huh?
lol. what i mean is i enjoyed V2's statement and an away message is what you put on your pc so others can view and know your not there to chat. aol instant messenger? you know. anyways... back to the beautiful hawk
Old 06-04-2005, 11:13 AM
SuperSport

ahhh ok hehe
Old 06-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Squid

v2weapon

It's hell being sublimely literate and unrecognized by the mainstream motojournal press. I'm thrilled to provide an away message and an...omen? (The Princess Bride - Enigo Montoya "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.") Now back to more trivial things...like finding fugitives... 8)
Old 06-04-2005, 07:28 PM
SuperSport

The Princess Bride, what an incredulously good show 8)
Old 06-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Main Entry: OMEN
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: piece of advice
Synonyms: admonition, advisory, a few words of wisdom, caution light, caveat, deterrent example, enough said, forewarning, hint, lesson, message, moral

yes, it was a good movie! remember andre the giant? lol. the old wrestler.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Squid

v2weapon

Inconceivable!!

"Enough said" seems to be the most appropriate. :wink:

The whole time I was watching "Saw" I kept waiting for Carey Elwes to yell out "As you wish!"
Old 06-05-2005, 10:13 PM
SuperSport

Inconceivable!?? dammit thats the word I was thinking, not incredulous

The Princess Bride was an inconceivably good movie :P :P
Old 06-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

The princess bride. a good movie ... um yah

EXAMPLES OF A GREAT MOVIE WOULD BE

The Blues Brothers :P
Enter the Dragon
The Replacement Killers
The Matrix :wink:
Spaceballs
Fled 8)

Also the ORIGIONAL "Gone in 60 Seconds"

Enough Said
Old 06-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Squid

v2weapon
Originally Posted by divingindaytona";p=&quot
The princess bride. a good movie ... um yah

EXAMPLES OF A GREAT MOVIE WOULD BE

The Blues Brothers :P
Enter the Dragon
The Replacement Killers
The Matrix :wink:
Spaceballs
Fled 8)

Also the ORIGIONAL "Gone in 60 Seconds"

Enough Said
<POP>
<WHOOSH>

The can of worms has just been opened.

Sin City
Fight Club

Are you over the flu yet?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:46 PM
SuperSport

I think with the Princess Bride its that everyone expected a lame "B" kiddie movie whereas it delivered some witty and funny lines by some decent actors.

That said...............Spaceballs

Instead of Spaceballs, how bout inserting Blazing Saddles??

Quick Reply: SHawk vs. CBR 600 F4i