General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Shakey landings...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:29 AM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
Shakey landings...

Hey guys, when I come out of a power wheelie in first (can't clutch wheelie yet, need more practice) My bars always shimmy a little. I am afraid it's going to turn into a tank slapper. Is this normal? and how can I prevent it?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:45 AM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
It's normal for the less experienced. Happens to me. Stay safe and keep practicing. Maybe a steering damper is in your future?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:15 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
you are probably setting the wheel down slightly turned left or right and its righting itself as it rolls forward. pay attention to the tension your putting on the left and right bar when you are lifting the wheel, and be sure your symmetrical. If you get it crossed up too far it will cause a much bigger problem.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Squid

itsjason13 is on a distinguished road
Be careful!!! The only additional thing I could add is to make sure you're traveling completely straight when you bring it up...

When learning, I often made the mistake of bringing it up after I've made a turn (onto the backroad I lived on) and popped it up too early, before I had completely straightened up. I couldn't tell I wasn't straight until the front wheel was up, then it gets scary.

Also, be sure you're praticing all other basic riding techniques as well, not just wheelies. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire
how can I prevent it?
Do like me...
Don't do wheelies :-O

Most of my wheelies are little power wheelies that occur driving out of lower speed turns, when really on the gas.
The front end will shimmy when it sits back down and the reasons have alreay been explained.
A steering damper would help, but I don't do it enought to justify the expense.

FWIW, the profile and condition of the front tire might have an impact. I know it can affect head shake when both wheels are on the ground, so maybe it has an impact when the front is returning to Earth.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Back Marker

Well I'm in no rush to learn, this is my third bike, I've been riding for about 6 years and I am just learning now- very slowly! I am trying to focus on these little power wheelies because Brian's right, most of them are out of a corner low speed getting on the gas. Except a couple of times laying in to her I left a small black streak about 5 feet long on the pavement. Brand new tires, so I don't know what's up with that.

I look at it like this; It's like accident avoidance training, I need to know how to safely deal with every aspect of the bike I ride, and since the S-Hawk is a wheelie demon, I thought I better figure them out!

Is it possible that my clutch is going because I can't clutch up in second? I don't notice any clutch wear signs during normal riding.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire
Except a couple of times laying in to her I left a small black streak about 5 feet long on the pavement. Brand new tires, so I don't know what's up with that.
Wow! Painting darkies on a 'Hawk!
Mine just goes, or wheelies and goes.
What rear tire are you using? I've got a Pilot Power and it just hooks up. I've thought about using a sport/touring tire to have a little less traction. ( I like painting darkies )
Old 05-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Back Marker

I have Pilot Powers as wll, it might be the asphalt by my house. it's slick looking and has a sheen to it.

Fun, but scary the first couple of times it happens. Feels like the engines just revving, can't really notice a difference going straight line. Usually as I roll off the throttle it hooks up and lurches forward as I gain traction. wierd.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, I just noticed that you are in Canada. It's always cold there compared to Florida. Could be a factor. I'm gonna keep trying to paint me some darkies. Have fun up there!!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Birdoprey
Wow! Painting darkies on a 'Hawk!
Mine just goes, or wheelies and goes.
What rear tire are you using? I've got a Pilot Power and it just hooks up. I've thought about using a sport/touring tire to have a little less traction. ( I like painting darkies )
Speaking of wheelie's and darkies....I have had a few darkies show up after accidentally pulling a wheelie..LOL but they were not on the street....
Old 05-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Kickin, I don't get it.. .. .. haha, yeah, I do. All kinds of skid marks are scary!

Arctic, do you have access to a dirt bike? Even if you never got the front wheel off the ground you'd learn to flow with whatever the bike wants to do - from general balance to keeping the front wheel in front of you. Probably would be a lot safer than trying to learn to wheelie on pavement.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Back Marker

yeah Scoob, i think thats a good option, A couple of m buddies have dirt bikes. Can you clutch up a two stroke or is it too peaky?

awwww crap, Ducks jsut scored