General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

SH vs. RC51

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 04:38 AM
Back Marker

BooYeah
SH vs. RC51

I have a buddy needing to get rid of a RC51, i was thinking about picking it up. What do you guys think, is there a big difference in riding position? I know there is a power difference but is it big?? any other comments?
Old 04-06-2005, 09:28 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: SH vs. RC51

Originally Posted by fred z";p=&quot
I guess when I think about it, I can recall that in 2 years of owning the VTR the first time, I put a bit over 20,000 miles on it. In 2 years of owning the RC51 I put a bit over 5,000 miles on it. That tells me a lot.
Fred Z.
YUP, that speaks volumes about bikes. Doesn't really matter how "great" it is if you don't ride it. That's exactly whay happen to me with an F4i; incredible handling, silky smooth motor, everything felt new and tight but it was sort of boring (IL4's suck) and the riding position got old if you weren't in the twisties, and the handling became somewhat unstable (nervous?) in some situations. Bottom line: A great bike but I wasn't riding it much.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:46 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
I have always loved the looks of the RC, and think it is one of the best bikes out there. But after owning a couple of other bikes with full fairing (for the looks), and getting over the pose factor, I now look at the functionality of the bike more so than the looks of it.

Also, at my level of riding, with possibly a couple of occasional track days (for learning) in future, frankly I don't see myself needing a better performing bike than the SH for a while.

So, even though the RC is better looking and better performing than SH, I don't think I will be willing to sacrifice the comfort and "all-around-ness" that SH is providing me for it.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah

Thats where i am at, i just don't know if i want to lose my comfort, but we will see.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Back Marker

bluesman

I did not had pleasure of owning RC51, but tried it many times as one of my buddies in our town rode RC51 for endurance series and then returned bike back into stock state and kept it in garage next to his Blade.
Interestingly, he mostly rode Blade (I mean daily) while RC51 gathered dust in garage...
After several rides I came to conclusion that I want RC51. But not a replacement for Storm, and not in stock way, because I found it uncomfortable even for twisties (I mean realy go-cart like twisties) where it was very stable but not very "flickable". After I changed (a bit) ride geometry and suspension components on my Storm (Hawk) it is easier to flick than RC51 I tried. Thou I must admit that overall RC51 is a handling diamond with hyper-rigid chassis.
My dream is to find damaged RC51, throw away fairing, install Powercommander, get rid of clipons, get rid of headlight, put on handle bar, twin Triumph ST style headlights, make it a bit lighter with some bits and bobs and start using it daily as street driller and twisties carver. Well, that's Aprillia Tuono route actually.
I think in stock form RC51 is way too track oriented - it is so obviously a "base" for race bike, if Honda even sells HRC kit for it upping ponies to 160 at rear wheel...
All above IMHO.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

I like both the VTR and the RC-51 and think that they would make a nice complimentary pair for the garage: one for track days and one for an everyday-driver (no big guess which would be which).

As far as raw track-day performance goes, thare aren't many stock bikes out there that are a match for the RC-51. (Read the online Euro/Aussie reviews for the VTR1000-SP1 and VTR1000-SP2; it is almost universally loved by those who auditioned it). Even so, in my view, the silver-red-black color scheme that most RC-51's sport looks lame and does not age well in the UV-intense sun of the Southeastern US. That could be fixed, however, with the addition of a nice custom paint job, or by getting a black-over-gold RC-51--a nice change from the earlier color scheme.

Since I'm full-on enthusiastic about V-twin sport bikes and find Ducatis to be an over-priced pain in the neck, I'll likely eventually own an RC-51, just for kicks. Nonetheless, I'll also likely always ride as my primary motorcycle a tricked-out VTR1000F..."The stone that was rejected shall become the head of the corner."

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 04-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I had a chance to try a friend's RC today, and everything the other guys have said here is absitively posolutely right. His front end felt planted while mine was jittery over similar roads. It was strange to get used to the riding position at first, as you feel like your head is directly over the front wheel. The SuperHawk, in comparison, is like a lounge chair. The brakes are amazing on the RC, even though I had upgraded my brake lines and pads on the SH.

At this moment, I'm very tempted to pick up an RC for track-use, and thus relegate the SH to commute.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Does your friend want to trade bikes? I have a VTR that I'd be willing to trade for an RC....

Does that mean I won't be able to post-***** here...?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah

I decided against it, but yeah he was going ot trade.

I look at it this way.
its faster, corners better, and less comfortable, most of which will only get me in trouble. So I will just not chance it.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:58 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Originally Posted by BooYeah";p=&quot
I decided against it, but yeah he was going ot trade.

I look at it this way.
its faster, corners better, and less comfortable, most of which will only get me in trouble. So I will just not chance it.
good thinking.