SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   SH doesn't feel strong enough (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/sh-doesnt-feel-strong-enough-33348/)

Hangfly 07-13-2015 03:46 PM

BRJ,

There is also this , if you have not seen it:

www.vtr1000.org ? View topic - Carb Strip Jetting Pictures

scottiemann 07-13-2015 05:56 PM

he did state he had 3 lift holes not including the hole for the needle and did confirm he has a dynojet kit installed which would make me assume he has the dynojet springs in there so add factory springs to the price list... And I would also start by fillin in 1 lift hole on each slide seeing as factory has 2 in each.

And I also believe on the carb setup thread 7moore7 posts a step by step with detailed pics starting with the airbox down to the carbs.

Brj010885 07-13-2015 07:00 PM

Ok update !!!

Ok gentlemen here is the new update again thanks for all the help with my SH I pulled the carbs again and the float bowls my jets are 170 front and 175 rear both with #50 pilots I have Dynojet springs and needles are set on fourth notch from the top front needle has one shim and rear needle has two lol. I'm guessing this is why I'm feeling such a loss of power so now I will be purchasing the 178 main jet for the front and #48 pilots along with stock needles and air filter does this sound about right ?

thedeatons 07-13-2015 08:24 PM

Sounds like a good start. The different springs are an issue, along with the different needle (different taper than stock).

If i were you i would order those parts also, then sell your whole "Dynojet kit" to someone to recoup some money. There are those who would buy it, some think they are worth having, so it's worth a try.

James

Brj010885 07-13-2015 08:37 PM

Help!!!!

Ok somehow I cross threaded one of my fuel screws it doesn't look like it damaged the aluminum fuel bowl threads but the threads on the brass fuel screw are chewed up what size thread cleaner do I need to use in that hole does anyone know ? Or tap set.

AndyMX47 07-14-2015 05:21 AM

You could take the other good fuel screw to a hardware store and match it up with a metric nut to try and determine the thread. Or....throw a new one on the parts pile, Or...buy thumb screws from Jack Flash on here. You're definitely way out in left field with the jetting. Pilots way too rich, Dyno Jet needles will be rich, mains way too lean, huge hole in the airbox and a K&N.

Remember the richer main jet goes in the rear carb. Also the needles have different part numbers front and rear. I would buy a 178 and a 180 mains. If you have the short dynojet slide springs (6" long vs about 10" long) and a slide hole those may add some mid-range richness too. The bike will be a smooth runner once you get it anywhere close to stock settings - just wait! Don't forget you'll need a way to synchronize the carbs too, once you're done. It's worth the effort to develop a way to do it yourself, that way if you become an incurable carb tinkerer, you can keep them straight - just another item that makes the bike run better.

Wolverine 07-14-2015 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Brj010885 (Post 388451)
what size thread cleaner do I need to use in that hole does anyone know ? Or tap set.

I could get you that info later today when I get home. LMK if you figure it out before then.

thedeatons 07-14-2015 06:31 AM

I can help with making an easy carb sync gauge too.

James

kenmoore 07-14-2015 02:10 PM

Little bit of track here, however it would be a good idea to check for exhaust leaks while your fettling your bike!

Wolverine 07-14-2015 02:22 PM

Threads are M3x.5

scottiemann 07-14-2015 03:01 PM

As for the carb sync tool you can make one with a meter stick, about 7 feet of clear hose, a few zip ties and some ATF or marvel mystery oil... should cost $10 or less, thats what I use, I can post pics later if desired.

And have we mentioned you need a second vacuum fitting for the cyclinder head if there isnt one already installed...

thedeatons 07-14-2015 08:18 PM

After using the stick method for many years, i've converted to the "two bottle-impossible to suck up any fluid" method :)

James

scottiemann 07-14-2015 08:37 PM

thats why I use marvel mystery oil in mine ;)

scottiemann 07-14-2015 08:38 PM

I am interested in your method, do you have write up? if not text me pics when you can...

I'm always a fan of double and triple checkin work with multiple methods.