SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   runs like a sack of shit (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/runs-like-sack-shit-20074/)

evil-kev 09-04-2009 10:42 AM

runs like a sack of shit

Hay people,
Any help would be much appreciated; right I have a 98 firestorm that was left in friend’s garden for three months in crap wet British weather. The problems that I am having is, it will start first time and idles ok, I will ride for 2 miles then it will stall, it starts ok but with no power massive flat spot or it will ride with flat spots in the rev range but gets worse then keeps stalling with no power at all,
I have cleaned and drained the tank (bit of water and rust). Card cleaner and new fuel added.
Spark plugs checked all ok
New battery
All fuel pipes checked
New filters
New oil.
Stripped carbs cleaned and sprayed

Please any help.

jbaxx 09-04-2009 10:52 AM

Make sure the fuel tank is venting properly. Check the hoses for clogging.

Zedicus 09-04-2009 11:21 AM

the vaccuum tube goes to the back of the petcock, not the bottom. double check it, its same as what mine did.

LineArrayNut 09-04-2009 03:19 PM

PVLIR ^ what he said

lynchie 09-04-2009 04:50 PM

sound like gummed up fuel line for sure, i have had similar symptoms with other bikes that sat for a long time, i had to get some carb cleaner and take carbs apart for a cleaning

chickenstrip 09-04-2009 06:03 PM

Regarding the clogged vent tube possibility, when it stalls next time try opening the gas cap to let air in the tank. If it starts and runs then you've got a good indication that venting is the culprit.

gboezio 09-05-2009 02:22 AM

I'm pretty sure that the carbs bowls get empty, there's got to be a problem with the petcock, check the hose that goes to the back of the petcock, should be routed to the rear cylinder head, pull the tank and make vacuum with a syringe, the gas should flow when the vac is applied.

evil-kev 09-05-2009 12:53 PM

Hi checked the pedcock and fuel flow is fine from both ports hose is line, vacume hose had a bit of a kink in it replaced hose, pulled the carbs again fuel in front but not back, does anyone no what the two pipes that go direct ontothe tank do, big one little one ???
thanks for the info so far still happening .

drew_c14 09-05-2009 01:24 PM

Sounds exactly like PVLIR, just my .02 cents... I can post a pic if you need.

evil-kev 09-05-2009 03:45 PM

Sorry what does pvlir mean

drew_c14 09-05-2009 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 28643

the petcock should be hooked up like this, not with the tube on the bottom

jbaxx 09-05-2009 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by evil-kev (Post 233914)
Sorry what does pvlir mean

Pretty sure it's: Petcock Vaccum Line Inadvertent Relocation.

(Means the hose is hooked up wrong). :thumbsup:

evil-kev 09-06-2009 01:04 PM

Just went for a ride and still happening, petcock all ok all connected ok , rides all ok for about 10 min then thats it back fire, flats spots, loss of power, doesnt stall, lossing the will with this, any more advice.

evil-kev 09-06-2009 02:07 PM

Just removed the petcock after the last ride and when removing i got some presure release, went out for another ride with the second key, when the stalling began to happen i opened the filler cap and seemed to be fine again, put filler back and again after about 10 min the stalling and spluttering started to begin again, now i have two pipes connected to tank, a big one that i can blow through both ways, a smaller one that has a plastic connecting bit in middle can blow one way but cant blow into the tank is this correct, ???????

nuhawk 09-06-2009 03:16 PM

pull up an online parts fiche so you can see how this all fits together. Once you get it down you will never fuck it up again.

jbaxx 09-06-2009 06:34 PM

The fuel tank is not venting. One hose is the vent and the other is the overflow. If you can't blow to the tank on the vent tube- well, there's your problem.

Is the plastic piece in the tube a one- way valve? Maybe it's installed facing the wrong direction? Don't have my manual handy, maybe someone knows or can check.

You're almost there.

evil-kev 09-07-2009 01:19 AM

Fucking love you guys. Thanks sorted

lean'r~N~prgrss 09-07-2009 06:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
have full manual, what u need pics of ?

cameron 09-07-2009 07:50 AM

well im very impressed with the way you superhawk riders handled this guys problem. you guys deserve a round of applause. Good JOB!

jbaxx 09-07-2009 08:54 AM

So, what exactly did you find kev?

evil-kev 09-07-2009 12:23 PM

Maybe not sorted, The problem Is tank not venting blocked vent, that's all very good but I can't unblock the tube that runns through the tank, I have tryed wire wd40 air presure but no joy I can't get any air flow through the pipe, any help please you lot have been wicked so far,

jbaxx 09-07-2009 01:09 PM

Are you saying that the tank itself has a blockage?

drew_c14 09-07-2009 01:54 PM

hhhmmm....

Have you recently painted the tank? I've seen that done before. Try and think back to what preceded this problem. You said friends garden for three months, did a critter get into the line maybe?

Tweety 09-07-2009 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by evil-kev (Post 234069)
Maybe not sorted, The problem Is tank not venting blocked vent, that's all very good but I can't unblock the tube that runns through the tank, I have tryed wire wd40 air presure but no joy I can't get any air flow through the pipe, any help please you lot have been wicked so far,

Try going at it from the opposite end... Plug the compressor to the outlet and blow the blocking out the way it came in... Just make sure to empty the tank and clean it out afterwards... Definetly no water though...

evil-kev 09-07-2009 02:58 PM

Tryed blowing air both ways but no joy. What ever is in there is stuck there, the vent pipe seems to be teed into the over flow pipe in the tank, two options I think, new tank, drill a hole in top of tank to let it breath.

whatthefnck 03-26-2013 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by drew_c14 (Post 233917)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n.../DSCN0420c.jpg

the petcock should be hooked up like this, not with the tube on the bottom

Ahhh so the small grey hose goes in the back? And that one pointing downward should be left open to vent? Think that was my problem after reinstalling fuel tank...

E.Marquez 03-27-2013 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by whatthefnck (Post 351396)
Ahhh so the small grey hose goes in the back? And that one pointing downward should be left open to vent? Think that was my problem after reinstalling fuel tank...

See your other thread running for a picture.. But yes, bottom is a vent, back is the vac port for the line.

smokinjoe73 03-27-2013 07:50 AM

I would recommend against drilling your tank. You will regret it and it can only lead to great unhappiness.