General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Riding Technique

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
Riding Technique

Now, I see all these pictures of racers and otherwise aggressive riders, and they are all hanging off their bike, allowing it to stand up straighter. I understand perfectly the reasoning behind this, but it just feels weird as I try it, whereas pushing it down and holding -myself- more upright feels more stable and natural. Is this just something that takes getting used to?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:42 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7090424AAL4AHA
Old 10-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Squid

VoodooDog is on a distinguished road

damn good info on those links...
Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Yes, you just need to practice it more. I think it goes against our genetics to go towards the "danger" (moving ground).
Old 10-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Involute is on a distinguished road
On the street it's usually advised to keep you butt on the seat and get your upper body leaned in to the turn. I see a lot of people that get their butt way off the bike but keep their upper body in line with the bike. They are taking away with thier torso what there butt is giving them. Also, hanging off in the street and being seen by a Cop invites him to pull you over.

Freddie Spencer teaches people to try and kiss the mirror while looking through the turn. That will help keep your head up and chin pointed in the direction you want to go (where you want to be) while making your upper body get off the center of the bike. It all feels strange at first but after a while you'll feel strange in a corner without doing it. Your butt will evenutally follow your torso off the bike and your form will be correct.

What you describe as what you want to do is called "Counter Weighting" and it's only useful in low speed, limited space maneuvering.

Last edited by Involute; 10-04-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Involute

What you describe as what you want to do is called "Counter Weighting" and it's only useful in low speed, limited space maneuvering.

Wrong - one of the fastest classic road racers in the world - Bill Swallow - does this all the time in races, including the Isle of Man.

Also, it's a standard MX and enduro technique.

And it's preferred technique on gravel roads, for more grip (does any of you guys ever ride your SH on gravel???)

Returning to the thread itself, there should be no need at all to hang off your bike on the street, specially if you still have chicken strips on your tires and are not touching down the hero blobs on your footrests. It's very useful on the road race track - where I hang off on every corner - but there you know and plan every corner in advance, as you cannot do on the street.

PS Two of my racing buddies are World Championship (pre-Moto GP, but still reasonably modern) road race contenders, and another is a former world champion. None of them hangs off a bike cornering on the street. I am very happy to recommend their example.

PPS not hanging off is a helluva lot more relaxing way to ride, too; and you can watch the cagers better.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:05 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I think a great deal of this is true, Pete. If you're that intense about the road you cannot be defensive/evasive about the cagers around you. In low traffic situations maybe putting a knee down and going fast enough to do so is a good thing. Or, at least a non-event - we don't have to call EMS and the cops are still sipping coffee. I'm all about going fast because it is sooooo much fun. But I want to hear the wind in my ears not sirens.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Superstock

First of all, thanks for the outstanding responses, and that link as well. They've all been extremely informative. I can't say that I was advocating hanging off the bike while street riding, but I thought perhaps hard street riding might more closely approximate that style.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:50 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I feel much safer in turns now that I hang off. Not only am I more stable, I have more room and ability to adjust my line in case I encounter the unexpected (gravel, lane sharer, animal, bumps in the road, etc.) Counter weighting forms a triangle out of bike and rider which is the most stable object. The tires form one point, riders inside knee another, and center of gravity up the bike to the riders head forms the other. In this position the bike is planted even though it may wander due to pavement or unforeseen objects as mentioned before, but my position is maintained. I spent many years riding sport bikes like dirtbikes and am amazed that I never wrecked. Luckily I was never going faster than my ability(well...) or past the limits of the machine.

Triangulating as I have come to call it connects me and the bike as one, so I deal with one center of gravity, one steering input (from the bars), and two objects suspended as one. Less variables, more control. Riding the other way (leaning bike not rider) causes rider position to move, is harder to change lines as quickly, and bumps are absorbed in the riders back and arms, not the bikes suspension.

It takes getting used to, but after reading books (with pictures) I have become much more confident in turns. I am not a knee dragger yet, but I'm on my way. I would definitely research proper riding techniques either by taking classes, reading books, or watching videos. It could save your life.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Originally Posted by nuhawk
I think a great deal of this is true, Pete. If you're that intense about the road you cannot be defensive/evasive about the cagers around you. In low traffic situations maybe putting a knee down and going fast enough to do so is a good thing. Or, at least a non-event - we don't have to call EMS and the cops are still sipping coffee. I'm all about going fast because it is sooooo much fun. But I want to hear the wind in my ears not sirens.
Yes, Doug, I agree with you, too; not for the first time by any means, huh?

I guess I have the luxury of going and racing whenever I feel like it, so don't need to go bananas on the street.

I am all for anyone going as fast as safely on the streets as they can - and if someone wants to go knee-dragging, then fine. But it is not necessary, which I sorta thought was the original question in this thread.

And I am guessing that our roads in New Zealand are a lot rougher than those many members here habitually ride on, which makes a difference, too. Our State Highway One is mainly two-lane blacktop, so you can imagine what the backroads are like: brilliant for the SH, but you are likely to collect livestock with your knees if you stick 'em out too far. (That's where the sheep-******** jokes come from, I suppose.) If you actually put any weight on a dragged knee, it would likely be torn off by the bumps in the road.

Last edited by PJay; 10-04-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I guess I split the difference and shift my weight to the inside but don't truly hang off (1/2 of one butt cheek maybe) although I feel like I am. I feel MUCH more confident doing this than with steering only inputs.

Disclaimer: If I'm riding the speed limit on curves, I have no need to do anything but yawn and steer.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Originally Posted by PJay
Wrong - one of the fastest classic road racers in the world - Bill Swallow - does this all the time in races, including the Isle of Man.

Also, it's a standard MX and enduro technique.

And it's preferred technique on gravel roads, for more grip (does any of you guys ever ride your SH on gravel???)

Wrong?

Only if you decide to throw MX, off road riding or a very fast rider with poor technique in to the equation, none of which apply to the original post. But if it makes you feel better to add irrelevant variables in order to be able to tell someone their wrong go for it.

Hotbrakes............. You added some very good points.

Last edited by Involute; 10-05-2007 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:28 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by superbling
I guess I split the difference and shift my weight to the inside but don't truly hang off (1/2 of one butt cheek maybe) although I feel like I am. I feel MUCH more confident doing this than with steering only inputs.

Disclaimer: If I'm riding the speed limit on curves, I have no need to do anything but yawn and steer.
+1 Doug a little body positioning is all that is needed on the street and yes you will get used to the feeling the more you do it. The faster you go the more you need to lean off to create a center of gravity that is lower and more to the side to maintain traction and there's no substitute for seat time.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:30 AM
Squid

Waterboy is on a distinguished road
What everyone else says- on the street it's not necessary. If you're going that fast to need body position, go to the track (if you can)

A tip- If you're getting off the bike, the biggest problem i've seen is "crossing up", getting your butt off the seat and your head/chest over the tank. What I do to get off the bike is this-
Knee on the side of the tank, crack of your butt on the edge of the seat. To ensure your upper body is off. put your outside arm against the tank and try to kiss the mirror. Your back will be inline with the bike and you'll get the results you're looking for. It'll feel weird at first, but ride it enough and it'll become second nature
Old 10-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Wrong?

Only if you decide to throw MX, off road riding or a very fast rider with poor technique in to the equation, none of which apply to the original post. But if .
Your first comment that I quoted, IV, was that the technique was only of use in low speed, limited space manoeuvering (I would imagine you had trials riding in mind).

Actually, I have difficulty understanding how someone can be a very fast and successful racer but at the same time have "poor technique". Maybe he just doesn't read the right books. We'll just agree to differ, I think.

Yesterday I was reminded of a lot of the issues we've been discussing on this thread. I went and helped out as a travelling instructor at our local race track; my son Alan was riding his street SV650 at his first ever time on the track, as the youngest and least experienced rider there. It was a training day, so there were 20 or 30 race bikes there, but most people were just on their street bikes.

Alan was in the novice slow group, and it was really interesting watching him in comparison with some of the others. We did all the usual stuff about cornering lines, smoothness being first and the speed will follow etc, and then we had him do about 10 laps using no brakes at all. Alan was the only one in the group who took that up initially.

He found himself concentrating so hard on riding a smooth brakeless line that he did not even try to hang off his bike. Within 2 laps, he astonished himself - and the others - by whizzing past the folk who were jerkily trying to hang off their bikes for and in corners.

Now there are obviously questions of technique in all this, but it was a very good illustration of the idea that the basics have to be done right first before any advanced techniques comprise more than just a hindrance.

Last edited by PJay; 10-07-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:37 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Old 10-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Yeah...Er,,what was the question? LOL
Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Now, I see all these pictures of racers and otherwise aggressive riders, and they are all hanging off their bike, allowing it to stand up straighter. I understand perfectly the reasoning behind this, but it just feels weird as I try it, whereas pushing it down and holding -myself- more upright feels more stable and natural. Is this just something that takes getting used to?
I think that was the question.

Direct answer: yes, it takes getting used to.

Indirect answer: for most people, it's not worth getting used to.

LMFAO.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Superstock

lol. Yeah, Pete summed it up decently enough. The ensuing debacle was worth watching, but definetly educational.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
I've been watching this thread for a while. In years gone by I was a fairly fast rider. I am now back riding after many years living abroad without a bike. Now I have what for ME is a "superbike" my SH. I'm having to learn all over again. I've watched videos, I've read a couple of books. I'm out practicing new techniques and trying to erase/reprogram old bad habits.
My knee will go down but it'll be the last thing to happen in a long retraining effort and it will happen because I will be going fast enough to require it.
So far the "tips" that have really made a difference are as follows...look thru to the exit, try going brakeless for a while ( which is EASY on the SH as it's engine braking is incredible), weight on the pegs instead of your *** and wrists, steer and drop in by pushing away on the inside grip, NOT pulling in on the outside grip, making a habit of SLOWLY transitioning from off throttle to on, and finally.........trusting your tires/suspension etc. You SEE racers going much faster with much more lean so obviously....the bike can do it.
I'm whittling away at my chicken strips on my new Pilots, learning my new suspension, and becoming 'one" with my bike. A couple of months from now I will be a fast rider again.....patience and consistent practice building new habits is key.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Originally Posted by PJay
the basics have to be done right first before any advanced techniques comprise more than just a hindrance.

No disagreements here Bro!

As far as the other stuff goes it just comes down to what someone is comfortable with. If it works and feels good.....do it!
Old 10-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

No disagreements here Bro!

As far as the other stuff goes it just comes down to what someone is comfortable with. If it works and feels good.....do it!
And mutual agreement, here.

I realise that sometimes I seem like a know-it-all. Once I had done over 250,000 miles on the road on motorcycles, I thought I knew it all. That was about 30 years ago.

Now I have done more than a further million miles, I realise I don't know nearly enough. But that's a big part of the fun - constantly learning.

Cheers