SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   A Rider Who Has Never Chrashed... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/rider-who-has-never-chrashed-14074/)

nuhawk 03-19-2008 04:54 PM

I got wrecked a year ago last Feb. I think you did the right thing by avoiding a compound crash with your Dad. Doesn't make it feel any better or put new parts on the bike.

Post up your parts list so we can help.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! :thumbsup:

L8RGYZ 03-19-2008 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by divingindaytona (Post 156344)
I found out that the front fairing stay can be tweaked. Invite a friend over, grab a torch and a baseball bat. Works great. The mirror holes work great for allignment points.

I slid a 2 ft. long pipe over the swept-back upper part of the stay. Gives good leverage for bending it back in shape.

L8RGYZ 03-19-2008 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by RK1 (Post 156362)
My theory is this; If you don't ride aggressively, you will be visiting the emergency room or the morgue in short order.

Yeah, I'd tend to agree with you... but with roughly equal parts of awareness & good judgement thrown in.

Blue Ridge Boy 03-19-2008 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 156365)
I got wrecked a year ago last Feb. I think you did the right thing by avoiding a compound crash with your Dad. Doesn't make it feel any better or put new parts on the bike.

Post up your parts list so we can help.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! :thumbsup:

Yeah...there's no point in risking two lives. I'd rather just take myself out.
Parts list is up...along with pics on the first page.

nuhawk 03-19-2008 07:55 PM

Are you going to take the bike back to it's stock condition? If so and you are hanging new plastics from Honda or the aftermarket sources, your fairing stay needs to be near factory perfect.

Looks like most of your damage is the rear of the bike. I'll keep my eyes out for a subframe. That's prob the most expensive item besides the pan. Somebody here should have a pan. Just give it some time.

Jeepingoose 03-19-2008 08:02 PM

I cant see the pics, as I dont have flash at work :(

Blue Ridge Boy 03-19-2008 08:11 PM

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w...=nav_tab_album

try this jeepingoose

Blue Ridge Boy 03-19-2008 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 156385)
Are you going to take the bike back to it's stock condition? If so and you are hanging new plastics from Honda or the aftermarket sources, your fairing stay needs to be near factory perfect.

Looks like most of your damage is the rear of the bike. I'll keep my eyes out for a subframe. That's prob the most expensive item besides the pan. Somebody here should have a pan. Just give it some time.

Yeah...right back to stock. My plastics are fine, just scratched up. I just finished hanging them in the garage. My fairing stay is more bent up than I thought , once I got all the plastics off...so I will probably have to replace it...not bend it back like I planned on.

My forks are tweaked. So I'm going to try and figure that out and see if I can fix them, if possible. If I can't get a used or new oil pan...I'll weld mine up. I've got a friend who is a professional welder...been doing it all his life. He's gonna fix my subframe mounting bracket up

nuhawk 03-19-2008 08:37 PM

I have a fairing stay that is about a 1/2" tweaked. After my wreck I hung all new plastic from Honda and I didn't want to stretch it over a tweaked stay. At the end of the day that was a good call because virgin plastics are a bitch to fit.

I bought it from a member here and actually bolted it into position on my frame before I decided to go with a new one.

brownrxmd 03-19-2008 08:48 PM

glad to hear you're ok!

Holy Cow! I've been riding since 1985, bikes have been my main mode of transportation, I've fallen/slid a few times have hit a ten speed parked in the middle of the road, man you are lucky! You must be a pretty good rider to make that split second decision and stick it out to the thud, I did notice that you didn't scratch the green neutral light on the dash! Glad to know you're ok.

motojoe 03-20-2008 04:46 AM

Glad your OK and able to salvage your SH. Hope you get well and get it back on the road.

RCVTR 03-20-2008 08:27 AM

I agree that riding aggressively is safe to a point, because it makes you focus.
Folllowing a fast group is dangerous, because you divert some of your attention to the other riders, because you don't have a clear view of what's ahead and because you may not notice your loss of focus on the road. I like to ride in front, or leave enough space to have a clear view of what's in front. If you are rat-racing with a group of friends, you will eventually go down, whether that's your mindset or not. It takes a conscious decision about what you are going to do to keep yourself safe.

The day I broke all of those rules, rode in a tight pack, got fatigued, lost focus and didn't acknowledge it (I had the voice in my head and didn't pay attention to it), was the day I crashed. I am very fortunate to have lived through it. I know that I would never make that mistake again. Maybe another, but not that one.

I'm glad you will be ok. Make sure you aknowledge and learn the lessons. If you do, you'll probably have many years of enjoyment, as a "more experienced" rider.

I would love to ride the street again, but don't want my wife at home, expecting the phone call. I'll have plenty of fun on the race tracks.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Rand

FL02SupaHawk996 03-20-2008 09:28 AM

Good advice Rand! Now I want a track bike too:(

Jeepingoose 03-20-2008 11:17 AM

I would just like to be near a track... period

This living on an island thing sucks!

nuhawk 03-20-2008 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by RCVTR (Post 156431)

The day I broke all of those rules was the day I crashed. I am very fortunate to have lived through it. I know that I would never make that mistake again. Maybe another, but not that one.

I'm glad you will be ok. Make sure you aknowledge and learn the lessons. If you do, you'll probably have many years of enjoyment, as a "more experienced" rider.

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Rand

Rand, I know you speak it from the heart as I was just a rookie around here when you splashed. As long as you understand the ingredients that went into the crash you are likely to avoid the same circumstances later.

Something new, yeah, probably - even in the dirt.

You can only respond to the risk of riding if you are in good shape physically. Any conditioning can be overworked - know your limits and when to park it.

I ride with guys I know and trust. Otherwise, I'm solo.

I agree with you that the diversion in groups is a huge compromise to safety. Either lead or fall all the way to the back and lead the second group. I drive my race and none other.

Duck007 03-20-2008 06:40 PM

Rand hit the nail on the head there for me....breaking your own rules and ignoring the voice can be costly.
Went for my first ride today after 10 days being scared shitless by my own stupidity. This is really hard to fess up to but I broke the most basic rule.....don't race on the street. I had just finished a big job and was in a very good mood so I went for a ride to celebrate and was generally harder on the throttle than usual. A little Infiniti sedan took off on me from a light and I gave chase without thinking. I was in the left lane of a two lane road and had just overtaken him doing about 80 when we entered a sweeping left.....I went fucking wide and the guy must have been literally standing on his brake pedal from the squealing I heard. He rightly flipped me off and called me an asshole and I would have apologized profusely if I wasn't so freaked. I look at it as a second chance on life even though I didn't get a scratch. If it had been an inexperienced teen driver I'd be dead for sure....he would have gone right over me.
First and definately the LAST time for that shit. Be safe.

L8RGYZ 03-20-2008 08:22 PM

Thanks Duck007 for your public admission. That competitive urge can bite back sometimes. Glad it worked out & that you are wise enough to acknowledge your mistake. Good lesson I'll try to profit from.

truepath 03-21-2008 12:15 PM

there 3 types of riders in the world.....

those that have been down
those that will go down
and

those that lie about it

you can use a exhaust bender to straighten your forks, no heat. use a straight edge or good flat table and go slow. its not real hard as long as you take your time

joshuatest 03-22-2008 07:31 AM

Glad your ok man.... that does suck to go down though....

I went down twice... both not bad, and both my own stupidity.... and both while much younger...

1st time on road, 30mph or so.... but no real damage...

2nd time having a party at my house, popped the clutch and pulled a wheelie while entering my driveway... (long driveway at the time)... ended up not comming back down quick enough, took out my privacy fence, and broke some plastics.. bruised and scraped myself, but not bad...

Hopefully I am done going down.. lol

peterpanic 03-22-2008 08:28 AM

Fantastic to be alive, eh? Went down slow on my 75 BMW a few years back...stopped limping 8 months later...bitch tried to tear my leg off so I got her a new tank & bars. Treated me good after that.

Just started riding 2002 SH got on ebay. Great guy with angel hit a dear at 60 on it. Over the bars slide, tumbling bike misses him. Ribs, shoulder, lands in poison oak. Got bike from him two months later. You'd never guess it happened. Wish you as speedy a recovery.

Bike you can imagine... put forks, tank, instruments & much plastic on it. Tweaked subframe back into place with a pipe. Put a sleeve inside the fairing brace where it broke and, my personal favorite, gel glued the center fairing section back together (will reinforce with rivets one day...yeah). Headlight & taillight unbroken in the cartwheeling...amazing things happen in these wrecks.

I have all original pipes with rattle baffle cans, messy but functional signal set, original beat POS seat, chunk of front fender with fur in the cracks. Yours if you want.