General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

A Rider Who Has Never Chrashed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
A Rider Who Has Never Chrashed...

...Is a Rider Waiting To Crash.

A very true statement as I found out Sunday.
My dad, my buddy Kevin, and Mitch all headed down to South Carolina to Caesar's Head. The day started out pretty shitty when I dropped my bike at the gas station bending the clutch lever. But I shrugged it off and we got on our way. We made it down to South Carolina safely and met up with all the usual guys and gals at the gas station. A group of us decided to make a run. We suited up and headed out. We made a run up the mountain...and it was one of the best I've ever had. We turned around and started heading back. We are going through a sweeping left...Im looking too far into the corner and don't notice my dad (he's in front of me) slowing down (i forgot that the corner starts wide then gets real sharp...and I'm doing about 60-70 mph). So i have a choice...run into my dad...or fly off this cliff. I chose to fly! So i stand the bike up straight and slam on the brakes...leaving about a 50 foot skidmark...which slowed me down to about 30-40 mph. I go off the road and hit the edge of the cliff...which has a lip to it...which sends me flying up through the air. Luckily, in a way, there was a huge ******* tree that I slammed into...along with my bike. The bike hits the tree about 5 feet up and fell to the ground. I hit about 8 feet up...head first...and continue to fly through the air about 30 feet down....until I come to a stop in a bunch of brush. I don't remember much (thanks to blacking out)...but I know I get carried to the top and it took about 20 guys to carry my bike up. I get rushed to the hospital....and find out i have no broken bones....none! Just some ligament damage (fixed with crutches. haha) and pain all over my body. People thought I was dead for sure lying motionless down this cliff...yet i didn't break anything, felt like i did though. haha.

I just picked the bike up from a friend's house about 6 hours ago. Got it off the truck and started ripping it apart....which i found some unpleasant things that you couldn't see with all the bodywork on. Its sucks....but I'm glad to be alive.

I'll get pictures up tomorrow afternoon when I have time to resize them.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Boy; 03-19-2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: add some details
Old 03-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Superstock

Jeepingoose is on a distinguished road
Dude that sucks so bad, my condolences to the hawk. may she fly again!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Squid

Firehawk_ordie is on a distinguished road
Yeah man just get back on. I went down feb 2007 it took a lil bit to get the bike back running but i still love my hawk. a buddy used to tell me that there are two kinds of riders "those who have gone down and those who are going down". I don't if it's true but it was for me.

So just get back on and ride.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:09 PM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear that you're ok man. Sounds like the 'Hawk took one for the team. On the plus, I'm sure your Doc gave you some GOOD meds... :P

KG
Old 03-18-2008, 11:14 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
That's a decision I don't ever want to make. I'm glad you escaped relatively OK, and your dad's still kick'n around.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:21 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
First, I'm glad you're OK. And while anybody, no matter how good and careful they are, CAN crash, it isn't a given. And now that you've crashed, you can be a guy who rides for 50 more years without doing it again.

I got banged up a few times when I used to dirt ride, and once crashed a streetbike in my backyard (don't ask). I've never gone down on the street. I've always had at least one streetbike for over thirty years now. Some guys do ride all their lives without ever crashing/getting hurt on the street. I intend to be one of those guys.

I know it could happen. I just don't want to think of myself in terms of waiting to crash or gonna crash.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:43 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
Well, at least youre in one peice man. and that versys or triple will be coming faster now!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:14 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Boy
...Is a Rider Waiting To Crash.

A very true statement as I found out Sunday.
My dad, my buddy Kevin, and Mitch all headed down to South Carolina to Caesar's Head. The day started out pretty shitty when I dropped my bike at the gas station bending the clutch lever. But I shrugged it off and we got on our way. We made it down to South Carolina safely and met up with all the usual guys and gals at the gas station. A group of us decided to make a run. We suited up and headed out. We made a run up the mountain...and it was one of the best I've ever had. We turned around and started heading back. We are going through a sweeping left...Im looking too far into the corner and don't notice my dad (he's in front of me) slowing down (i forgot that the corner starts wide then gets real sharp...and I'm doing about 60-70 mph). So i have a choice...run into my dad...or fly off this cliff. I chose to fly! So i stand the bike up straight and slam on the brakes...leaving about a 50 foot skidmark...which slowed me down to about 30-40 mph. I go off the road and hit the edge of the cliff...which has a lip to it...which sends me flying up through the air. Luckily, in a way, there was a huge ******* tree that I slammed into...along with my bike. The bike hits the tree about 5 feet up and fell to the ground. I hit about 8 feet up...head first...and continue to fly through the air about 30 feet down....until I come to a stop in a bunch of brush. I don't remember much (thanks to blacking out)...but I know I get carried to the top and it took about 20 guys to carry my bike up. I get rushed to the hospital....and find out i have no broken bones....none! Just some ligament damage (fixed with crutches. haha) and pain all over my body. People thought I was dead for sure lying motionless down this cliff...yet i didn't break anything, thought like i did though. haha.

I just picked the bike up from a friend's house about 6 hours ago. Got it off the truck and started ripping it apart....which i found some unpleasant things that you couldn't see with all the bodywork on. Its sucks....but I'm glad to be alive.

I'll get pictures up tomorrow afternoon when I have time to resize them.

good to hear you are ok!

and oh........................Triumph!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:13 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about your crash, but I'm Glad to hear you are ok.....
Old 03-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Hawk9807 is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you are ok. Hopefully the superhawk will fly again. This time of year the acident count's tend to go up. Had a good friend from georgiasportbike.com go down this weekend. Lowsided, totaled the bike but he walked away from it.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:48 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Glad you're ok..
Old 03-19-2008, 04:59 AM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
Best wishes on a quick recovery.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:33 AM
nOOb
Squid

Dusty B is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you're okay. Hopefully it's the last time you fly!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:34 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
You always hear, "I had to lay her down" but you know I don't think I could consciously do that and would have probably sailed off into the wild blue yonder like you.

Tweaked ligaments was all? WOW, what great news. Bikes are much easier to rebuild than the body.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:42 AM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Great you're ok. post what parts you need if you rebuild, as some of us may have extras.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you lived to ride again bro! Enjoy your new bike whichever one you decide on
Old 03-19-2008, 07:50 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Glad you are ok, wishing you a speedy recovery!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Back Marker

Dave in NY is on a distinguished road
More best wishes from we NY here - glad to hear you're bouncing back well, and it's great to hear you fully intending to get back on! Like Happytrack said, post what parts you need for the rebuild, maybe I can help out with a few myself.

I remember dropping my Nighthawk several years back; the funniest thing was during the split second between knowing I'd lost it, and me hitting the pavement, was the one thought going through my head: not, "man, this is gonna hurt!" or, "aaaa, I'm gonna die!!!", but.... "oh no, my frickin' bike!"

Get back on soon - in a year or two you'll have a hell of a story to tell. Cheers!
Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
A Rider Who Has Never Chrashed... might be a sissy. j/k

Man, you are one lucky guy to come out of it that well! Glad it turned out that way & that you didn't take your dad down too.

Yeah, i often wonder if I might be looking too far ahead... especially when riding with others... that's why I like to leave some extra space between riders behind & in front, but I don't always do it.

Last edited by L8RGYZ; 03-19-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
very blessed to come out of that one unscathed...good luck getting it all back together
Old 03-19-2008, 12:02 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by happytrack44
Great you're ok. post what parts you need if you rebuild, as some of us may have extras.
I'm resizing pics right now to show off the damage....but from what I can tell:

- Rear Wheel
- Sub Frame
- New Pipes (might try to create something if I can't get any really cheap)
- Possibly new headers...not too sure if they are salvageable at this point
- Fairing stay...if I can't get it tweaked back just right
- Clutch Lever..." "
- Undertail (stock or aftermarket....haven't decided yet)
- Lower Cowl
- Tail Plastic and Seal Cowl if I wanted to get picky
Old 03-19-2008, 12:05 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Enjoy your new bike whichever one you decide on
Technically...it will be my dad's bike. But here at my house, we all borrow each others bikes....so I'll be riding it almost as much as him (Hoping he goes with the Triumph).
Old 03-19-2008, 12:06 PM
SuperSport

...and thanks for all the good wishes guys. I'm recovering really fast and already have friends tossing bikes at me so I can ride this weekend! haha
Old 03-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Bummer

Glad your ok. A couple of years ago I went down. I also bent the front faring stay. I tried calling a few junkyards but they wanted too much for it. I asked at the dealer and they wanted $300 for it.

So.....I found out that the front fairing stay can be tweaked. Invite a friend over, grab a torch and a baseball bat. Works great. The mirror holes work great for allignment points.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:36 PM
SuperSport

Already got the friend, torch, a variation of the baseball bat, haha.

I can get any brand new parts at 50% off from Honda. The only problem is that at 50% off...it's still pretty damn expensive for all the things I need.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:25 PM
SuperSport

PICS PICS PICS!!!

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w...albumview=grid
Old 03-19-2008, 03:35 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
flying low and being able to walk away from it, what more can a pilot ask for?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:16 PM
RK1
MotoGP

[QUOTE=L8RGYZ;156329]A Rider Who Has Never Chrashed... might be a sissy. j/k

Heh. That's a good zinger, and while not unexpected, made me laugh out loud and I appreciate it in the spirit with which it was given. I'll tell you something you already know; The one way more likely to achieve "hood orniment" status than riding as a reckless hot dog is riding as a "sissy".

My theory is this; If you don't ride aggressively, you will be visiting the emergency room or the morgue in short order.

Rest of my thoughts;

It is clear that Blue Ridge Boy has a guardian angel who loves he and his dad and is on the case.

If you ride with the mindset that crashing is inevitabe, sooner or later, you are likely to prove yourself right, sooner or later. Why would you adopt that mindset? To me, that is the mental equivalent of getting a "born to lose" tattoo on your arm.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:45 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I always say, if you can't see it you can't hit it, and if you are not there they can't kill you.

A newbie PM'd me about my case guards and buying sliders cuz mine are unobtainum, this was my response to him

"Case Guards" not "crash bars/cage", as a newbie think positive. Not all sliders are created equal but I don't want to get it to it now. How newbie r u? I'm a rocket scientist toying with 2 wheels both twist`o d'wrist and pedal kind for almost 40 years.

U wanna ride, I'll check u out once and give you feed back but any low flying device is no better than the pilot. And all pilots practice, new and old. And old pilots have not crashed, or at least been able to walk away from it. Don't worry about crashing, or anything else, just concentrate on where you are in time and space to keep d'rubba side DOWN.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:53 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
I always say, if you can't see it you can't hit it, and if you are not there they can't kill you.

A newbie PM'd me about my case guards and buying sliders cuz mine are unobtainum, this was my response to him

"Case Guards" not "crash bars/cage", as a newbie think positive. Not all sliders are created equal but I don't want to get it to it now. How newbie r u? I'm a rocket scientist toying with 2 wheels both twist`o d'wrist and pedal kind for almost 40 years.

U wanna ride, I'll check u out once and give you feed back but any low flying device is no better than the pilot. And all pilots practice, new and old. And old pilots have not crashed, or at least been able to walk away from it. Don't worry about crashing, or anything else, just concentrate on where you are in time and space to keep d'rubba side DOWN.

Pilots is a damn good analogy. Somtimes pilots lose control and have to bail, sometimes they crash and walk away, sometimes they crash and die.

But a fighter pilot who keeps thinking and saying he's gonna crash won't be allowed back in the cockpit until he gets his **** straight.

Quick Reply: A Rider Who Has Never Chrashed...