SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   rear spring removal to paint/powder coat (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/rear-spring-removal-paint-powder-coat-14298/)

andy9743 04-09-2008 07:42 AM

rear spring removal to paint/powder coat

i want to paint or powder coat my rear spring from yellow to red or black. my bike is on a stand with no weight on the rear, and the exhaust is off. is it as simple as just unbolting the shock bolts and pulling the assembley out?

thanks

andy

superbling 04-09-2008 08:14 AM

See if this answers all your questions:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...nstall+removal

andy9743 04-09-2008 09:09 AM

sort of...seems like the shock should be easy with the exhaust off and the bike up in the air. the spring will not have tension on it and should come right off with the shock correct?

superbling 04-09-2008 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nope. Spring isn't easily removable from the shock body (as in basic hand tools or it just slips off) like some other designs/aftermarket. At the very least, you'll need a spring compressor.
I recently posted this pic in another thread.

Attachment 31007

It shows an R1 shock I tried. The spring is from a Fox unit that I removed and painted to match. For those two shocks, I just had to run the pre-load the the absolute minimum which relieved enough tension on the spring that I could pry the bottom mount loose and slip the spring off. You can't do this with the stocker.

andy9743 04-09-2008 12:59 PM

so it's not feasible to remove and paint the spring? i have automotive spring compression tools i just don't want to get into more then i am bargaining for!

hawxter996 04-09-2008 02:40 PM

Andy

once you get the shock off,use a compressor to remove the spring.

just be very careful lots of pressure.we dont want to read your obit.

Hawkrider 04-09-2008 08:49 PM

An automotive spring is longer and more easily compressed than a motorcycle shock spring. There's a special tool that compresses the spring by the bottom collar. Then there is another washer type doohicky with a slot in it that will slide out. The tool utilizes a 2 ton hydraulic jack to compress it. I would advise against trying to do it manually. You don't want to get hurt.

andy9743 04-10-2008 05:38 AM

where could i purchase one of these special spring compressor deals?

thanks again guys

andy9743 04-10-2008 06:12 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...spagenameZWDVW

somthing like this wouldn't work?

superbling 04-10-2008 06:21 AM

Sorry Andy but I'm no help as you're entering territory I've never pursued.

cliby 04-10-2008 06:45 AM

occasionally you can rent them. I want to empasize that done incorrectly and working over a very stiffly compressed spring you could lose a finger, an eye or even a head - not joking. Just walk the shock into your local shop and have them use their compressor to remove the spring for you and take it back to reinstall when painted. safe, easy and if they charge you to do it more than 5 dollars don't go back!

Tweety 04-10-2008 06:46 AM

I'm pretty sure that tool only works on a offroad bike as those springs are similar to a automotive... longer and lighter to compress... The spring on the VTR is quite a tough one...

andy9743 04-10-2008 03:42 PM

the more that i look at the dumber i feel...the shock and spring will come out as one unit correct? i was thinking that the shock would drop out the center and the spring would be left in the bike. it should come out all as one right? dumbass. sorry guys i making more of a job out of this then i need to i think!

:eek:

andy9743 04-10-2008 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by superbling (Post 159053)
Sorry Andy but I'm no help as you're entering territory I've never pursued.

bling you have done more to answer my questions and inspire me to make this bike into what i'm working on then anyone...i'll let you off the hook this time, as long as you're not mad when you see my bike back together looking like your superbling but in red instead of orange!!:D

Tweety 04-10-2008 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by andy9743 (Post 159128)
bling you have done more to answer my questions and inspire me to make this bike into what i'm working on then anyone...i'll let you off the hook this time, as long as you're not mad when you see my bike back together looking like your superbling but in red instead of orange!!:D

Eh... not to be glib or anything... but "which" superbling???

I have so far seen... oh say three different shapes of it? perhaps more?!

Mr. bling likes to experiment me thinks...:) And there are a few more of that kind around here...:D

Hawkrider 04-10-2008 06:01 PM

Andy, that might work. Go slow and be careful. Compress each side evenly.

happytrack44 04-10-2008 09:31 PM

I have a purple Hyperpro spring on my stock shock. You can have the whole thing for 115 plus actual shipping to you, as I have purchased a Penske and it is now redundant.

happytrack44 04-10-2008 09:34 PM

By the way, Changing the spring was done by a guy with a really nice wall mount Snap -on strut compressor and great care, as it isn't as easy as a car. Careful, It will have your fingers!

trinc 04-14-2008 02:16 PM

there is also that spring wrap ( split down the middle ). you can buy it in any color... and you don't have to remove the spring.

tim

andy9743 04-15-2008 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by trinc (Post 159623)
there is also that spring wrap ( split down the middle ). you can buy it in any color... and you don't have to remove the spring.

tim

this sounds interesting, i'll have to check into this. any links?

andy9743 04-15-2008 06:58 AM

hmm didn't find anything are you referring to split loom like for automotive applications? (wire hding and what not?)