General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

R/R replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:02 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
R/R replacement

My shiny new R1 regulator/rectifier just arrived with the connecter kit. I'm so happy! One thing, it is exactly like the photo here and ebay of the FHO 12AA but the marking on the side reads, FHO20AA. Have I made a mistake? The seller lists it as FHO12AA.

from listing on ebay: Yamaha R1 rectifier regulator voltage Reg 1D7-81960-00-00 FH012AA

numbers on part: FHO20AA
2.3 281 F

Last edited by twist; 08-07-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: ad information
Old 08-07-2012, 09:13 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
That R/R will work just fine, it's the same thing. It looks the same, right?

Edit: Oh, you said that it looks the same. Yeah, you're good.

Last edited by 7moore7; 08-07-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:26 AM
SuperSport

looks like every pic I've seen of the replacement. connecter kit fits too. Thanks! Now to work!! (CCT should be arriving any day now) very exciting.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:11 PM
SuperSport

these are the pats, what is the little yellow plug for?
Name:  IMAG1641.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  207.0 KB
Old 08-07-2012, 01:13 PM
MotoGP

You are going to be well regulated and well rectified. Electricity is in the air!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM
SuperSport

Not sure I want to be rectified and my wife regulates me already.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
mcg
Squid

mcg is on a distinguished road
I installed the same unit 3 weeks ago and it works great!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:01 AM
SuperSport

it's a good feeling to make the upgrade and in the process get to know the bike that much better. In the process the rider and the bike are more a unit.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Squid

tasum is on a distinguished road
that looks heavy duty.

here in the UK we are advised to go for a honda cg125 rectifier that appears to be a straight plug in option, but is a finned version that seems to work and solves the over heating issue.

mine only has the 1 plug, yours looks a lot bigger. do you connect both plugs? does your bike have 2 plugs into the original rectifier?

whatever the answer, I hope it's an easy install and it sorts your poblem
Old 08-09-2012, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by tasum
here in the UK we are advised to go for a honda cg125 rectifier
By whom?

And to answer your other questions, the original plug has five wires in it, the new one has a plug with three wires and a plug with two wires (totaling five). All the wires line up, you just have to install the new plugs.

If you can find time, read through tweety's MOSFET r/r thread and you'll have a lot of info on why this unit was chosen!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:04 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 7moore7
By whom?

And to answer your other questions, the original plug has five wires in it, the new one has a plug with three wires and a plug with two wires (totaling five). All the wires line up, you just have to install the new plugs.

If you can find time, read through tweety's MOSFET r/r thread and you'll have a lot of info on why this unit was chosen!
I have read thru the thread the how and why R/R and the difference between mosfet and thyristor. I'm not dim but I didn't really digest all that information. I did get enough to understand the basics of why the mofset is better but most of it went right over my head. Does that make me a hopeless case?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by twist
I have read thru the thread the how and why R/R and the difference between mosfet and thyristor. I'm not dim but I didn't really digest all that information. I did get enough to understand the basics of why the mofset is better but most of it went right over my head. Does that make me a hopeless case?
Haha, no not at all (I am by no means a guru, so can't be throwing stones)... and a new cg125 rectifier with fins is probably a better replacement for the OEM ones, I just wanted to add some clarification to what tasum was saying.

Some people don't want to deal with adding new plugs, in which case it's fine. But if you don't mind going the extra step to ensure a much longer lasting R/R I wanted to point out that a MOSFET unit is better.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:57 AM
SuperSport

ready to install.

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Haha, no not at all (I am by no means a guru, so can't be throwing stones)... and a new cg125 rectifier with fins is probably a better replacement for the OEM ones, I just wanted to add some clarification to what tasum was saying.

Some people don't want to deal with adding new plugs, in which case it's fine. But if you don't mind going the extra step to ensure a much longer lasting R/R I wanted to point out that a MOSFET unit is better.
good to know. For me, upgrading the system makes sense and if making a few alterations along the way make things better, do it.

My cam chain tensioners should arrive today so I have enough to keep me busy. I'm glad the placement of the pos and neg for the R/R have been clarified. I like to be sure before I do a new task.

BTW, do the pistons have to be at TDC to replace the cct? If I pull the valve covers and zip tie the cam chain and sprockets so they can't move can I puul the old and install the new? I'm sure there is no other way than doing it the recommended way, just askin'.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
good to know. For me, upgrading the system makes sense and if making a few alterations along the way make things better, do it.

My cam chain tensioners should arrive today so I have enough to keep me busy. I'm glad the placement of the pos and neg for the R/R have been clarified. I like to be sure before I do a new task.

BTW, do the pistons have to be at TDC to replace the cct? If I pull the valve covers and zip tie the cam chain and sprockets so they can't move can I puul the old and install the new? I'm sure there is no other way than doing it the recommended way, just askin'.
Well, you could do it when not at TDC if you like... There are others that tried it... They all bought new parts shortly after... Your choice...
Old 08-10-2012, 01:42 PM
MotoGP

Also, if you have the valve covers off already, setting TDC is elementary school simple. You just turn a bolt till some marks line up.

Bonus: you can check valve clearances while you're in there!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Squid
Squid

bostonhawk is on a distinguished road
My shiny new R1 regulator/rectifier just arrived with the connecter kit. I'm so happy! One thing, it is exactly like the photo here and ebay of the FHO 12AA but the marking on the side reads, FHO20AA. Have I made a mistake? The seller lists it as FHO12AA.

from listing on ebay: Yamaha R1 rectifier regulator voltage Reg 1D7-81960-00-00 FH012AA

numbers on part: FHO20AA
2.3 281 F
Which kit was this part of? the one that sells for $130?
SHINDENGEN MOSFET FH020AA REGULATOR/RECTIFIER KIT REPLACES FH012AA | eBay