General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Preload issue on CBR forks

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Preload issue on CBR forks

Didn't know where else to post this. I tried looking my issue up with Google, but it was of no help. I have recently installed '07 CBR1000RR forks and I wanted all the suspension settings set to neutral for a starting point.

While working with the preload adjusters, the CBR's manual says to turn them counterclockwise untill they bottom out (full soft setting). Then, turn the adjuster clockwise 7 turns. This is the standard or neutral position.

Here's my problem. When I go to turn the preload adjuster from the full soft setting, I can only get 3 turns before the steel clip that holds the plastic adjuster cap pops off! I turn the adjuster counterclockwise again untill it bottoms out, and I can re-install the metal clip. I have done this several times and the clip keeps poping off at three turns. This happens exactly the same on both forks.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I recently rebuilt the forks, if that makes any difference. Not sure why the metal clip keeps poping off. Because of this issue, I can't adjust the fork preload.

Anybody hear of this happening or how to correct it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:07 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
It's popping off as you turn clockwise, increasing preload and making the center section drop into the cap? I'm having a hard time picturing what you describe.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:32 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Wolverine
It's popping off as you turn clockwise, increasing preload and making the center section drop into the cap? I'm having a hard time picturing what you describe.
That is exactly what is happening.

I don't know which part is supposed to move when you turn the preload adjuster. The first picture shows what happens when I turn the preload adjuster three turns. The metal clip pops off. The center section goes into the forks and the black cap comes off.

The second picture down shows three turns of the preload adjuster. The third picture down shows what it looks like bottomed out on the full soft setting.

When you look at pictures four and five down, which part is supposed to move when you turn the preload adjuster? The center section or the nut below it?

The last picture is of the preload adjuster bottomed out and I can now push the metal clip back on.

As you can tell, I have no idea how this stuff is supposed to work. I know that I rebuilt these forks not very long ago, but I can't remember what parts are supposed to do what.

Name:  20160521_170250-1.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  577.8 KB
Name:  20160521_170300-1.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  542.9 KB
Name:  20160521_170412-1.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  522.2 KB
Name:  20160521_170523-1.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  601.9 KB
Name:  20160521_170528-1.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  660.1 KB
Name:  20160521_170418.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  284.8 KB

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 05-21-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

For the life of me, I can't find anyone showing how to set preload on these forks. On YouTube, there are several videos of guys setting the preload, but they only talk about it and do not show them actually doing it.

I have horrible memory, but I do remember there being a silver colored cap that threaded into the top of the fork. I believe that this cap turns and sets preload. However, I don't remember which part on the outside of the fork that moved that silver colored cap inside.

I tried to set preload again and on one fork, the nut that I am pointing to (fourth picture down in the above pictures) started turning. Is that what is supposed to happen? I'm so lost.

Jamie would know, right? I think he works on all kinds of forks.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 05-22-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:06 PM
MotoGP

Crux, we don't have a 1Krr @ work right now, but we do have 600's. When I go back in Tues I'll check 'em out and see if they're similar and talk to everyone there. I'm sure I can get you some input. I looked on the net too and couldn't find specifics.

Name:  20160521_170528-1.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  660.1 KB

Pretty sure when you turn preload, you are supposed to be exposing these lines above the black cap for use as preload markers (silver part), just like any other set-up.

Turning red increases and decreases preload.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:42 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

You rock man! Thank you very much for helping me out.

For preload, the service manual says to turn it (center part I'm assuming) 7 turns clockwise to be at a neutral setting. For some reason, I can only turn the preload 3 turns before the black cap comes off.

There is a nut that freely turns below the black plastic nut. If you could, can you also ask what that nut does?

Thank you!
Old 05-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Crux I have a set of factory stock CBR1000R forks in the workshop. I'll take a look at them tomorrow for you...
Old 05-24-2016, 10:25 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
You must have the circlip on the adjuster to hold it in place. The preload of the spring happens internally - the adjuster does not go up and down on the outside of the fork.

It sounds to me like you have something either broken or incorrectly assembled inside the cap. Probably repairable but it will require pulling them off.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:33 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
You must have the circlip on the adjuster to hold it in place. The preload of the spring happens internally - the adjuster does not go up and down on the outside of the fork.

It sounds to me like you have something either broken or incorrectly assembled inside the cap. Probably repairable but it will require pulling them off.
Thanks for chiming in! If I'm understanding you correctly, the nut that the center part screws into, that nut is supposed to move and control preload. On my forks, that nut moves freely. I can pop the black plastic adjuster off and turn that nut instead. Then I don't need to take the forks apart. Seems reasonable, yes?

Both forks do the exact same thing. When I assembled the forks, I put them together exactly the way they came apart. There's not much to them.

EDIT: Jamie, if I was to go ahead and pull the forks apart, do you have, or is it possible to find some pictures that show exactly how the forks are to be assembled? I have tried and tried to find pictures to no avail.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 05-24-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Superstock

Crux, I just took my CBR1000R forks in thebench and turned the preload adjuster. It is not turning the central shaft but the secondary outside nut the central shaft is threaded into...
Attached Thumbnails Preload issue on CBR forks-image.jpeg  
Old 05-24-2016, 03:56 PM
Superstock

Crux, we don't have a 1Krr @ work right now, but we do have 600's. When I go back in Tues I'll check 'em out and see if they're similar and talk to everyone there. I'm sure I can get you some input. I looked on the net too and couldn't find specifics.

Pretty sure when you turn preload, you are supposed to be exposing these lines above the black cap for use as preload markers (silver part), just like any other set-up.

Turning red increases and decreases preload.
The top pix is what you have the gold part turns forcing the silver part withe up or down. The second pix with the red preload shaft works much differently from your fork...
Old 05-24-2016, 05:00 PM
MotoGP

Yep... agreed. The 600's we have are not the same and from the discussions I had today, I agree w/ Jamie on this one. We thinks something is amiss internally w. the cap.

Originally Posted by Fastguy59
Crux, I just took my CBR1000R forks in thebench and turned the preload adjuster. It is not turning the central shaft but the secondary outside nut the central shaft is threaded into...
Bobby, if so can you show a pic of the cap w/ preload full soft and one full "stiff"?
Old 05-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

The top pix is what you have the gold part turns forcing the silver part withe up or down. The second pix with the red preload shaft works much differently from your fork...
Bobby, if so can you show a pic of the cap w/ preload full soft and one full "stiff"?
That would be awesome. This would show me if my forks are working the same.

I took the plastic cap off and backed the center part all the way. I will assume this is full soft preload. I then kept the center part in place and tightened the big nut (the nut that the center piece screws into) against it. Feels like its acting as a jam nut. Now, when I turn the center part, the big nut turns with it. Is this how it's supposed to work? I then tried 7 turns clockwise and...I'm not sure if anything happened.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Superstock

The way it looks to work is the gold nut under the black preload adjuster nut, free floats and acts as a jacking screw loading against the snap ring at the top of the black nut. This threads the silver part down or up in the fork tube...
Old 05-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Superstock

Full soft
Old 05-24-2016, 07:06 PM
Superstock

Full hard
Old 05-24-2016, 07:08 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
This threads the silver part down or up in the fork tube...
Well, now I'm confused.

I know that there is a threaded cap that threads inside the fork's cap. I am now pretty sure that's the part that goes up and down to control preload. Just not sure what parts on the outside of the fork are supposed to make that happen.

EDIT: It doesn't look like there is any difference full hard or full soft. (There's a joke in there haha)

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 05-24-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Edit? Who's editing?
Old 05-24-2016, 07:23 PM
MotoGP

Crux,
You need to speak to Jamie. I'm sure he can get you sorted with ease! Sorry I'm not much help, but Bobby's pics confirm the preload movement is all internal.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:28 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Meier Link is on a distinguished road
When I first saw this my first question was going to be "did you hold the upper nut with a wrench while adjusting the preload" (the one wirh the clip)and that was before I saw who posted the question and the before drinking a beer or 13.

I don't know enough about the issue to be any help but it seems like you are getting some solid advice.

Last edited by Meier Link; 05-24-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:41 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Meier Link is on a distinguished road
I don't know enough about the set up your are running but it looks like the primary adjustment is the very lower, the one in the middle is a jam nut and the top with the clip is the safety measures incase the jam nut fails or the primary seal.

I might be way off on this, I admit I don't know this style of set up. Just throwing drunk ideas out there.

Refine the preload, torque the jam nut then seat the upper and clip?
Old 05-25-2016, 11:25 AM
Superstock

So in your pic you have the largest gold hex surface = fork cap, from the Honda fiche #13, BOLT, FR. FORK pt# 51450 threads into the tube...
Second biggest gold hex surface = the adjustment nut for the preload from the Honda fiche # 14, NUT, LOCK 51451-MEL-003
this is capped by the black hex cap on the Honda fiche # 15 PLATE B, ADJUSTING
51453-MCJ-751which circlips onto the central silver circular part with two flats this is part of the cartridges damper rod #11 on the Honda fiche, DAMPER, FR.
51430-MEL-003.
The end result is that the black adjustment nut does not move up and down at all but merely acts as a jacking screw to adjust the internals. Me thinks that there is a neutral point you must be set at for disassembly and reassembly for this to work properly and that is your issue. Perhaps a log onto the CRB1000R forum or a trip to your local Honda dealer might yield the info you need. Perhaps the CBR forum has a published manual?
Attached Thumbnails Preload issue on CBR forks-image.jpg   Preload issue on CBR forks-image.jpeg   Preload issue on CBR forks-image.gif  
Old 05-25-2016, 11:50 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

The only thing I could find, was a Honda manual that you get with the purchase of a your new bike, not a sevice manual. Can't find a service manual for the life of me. The two major CBR1000RR/Fireblade forums do not allow downloads of service manuls, since it is technically illegal. And I don't want to buy a service manual for only the forks.

I'm going to stop in at my local Honda dealer (Don & Roy's) today or tomorrow and see if they can help me any.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Back Marker

Aquasnake is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth, you may want to try your local library to see if they have, or can get, a copy of a service manual. If they do, copy the section you need.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:43 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Aquasnake
For what it's worth, you may want to try your local library to see if they have, or can get, a copy of a service manual. If they do, copy the section you need.
That is a great idea! I have done just that in that past, but have forgotten about it. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2016, 05:51 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I think you should join the 1000RR forum and find out there. Just don't mention its on another bike.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Superstock

Crux,
Did you ever get this preload issue squared away? I was wondering what you found to be the problem..
Old 06-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

No, not yet. I haven't had the time. Soon though. I need to get this bike back on the road!
Old 06-03-2016, 05:33 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
On those forks the piece that moves up and down is not on the outside - it's on the inside. There is no visual indication of the preload setting. I'm sure there is something awry on the inside of your forks Crux. I have some spare parts, but most likely your caps just need disassembled and reassembled correctly and you will be fine.

Let me know if I can help with that!