General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Okay, I think it's time for a stupid question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Back Marker

jserio is on a distinguished road
Okay, I think it's time for a stupid question.

How do you do a wheelie? One of the bikes I used to have in the past had so much torgue that the front wheel came off the ground at 80 mph when you nailed it in 4th and 5th ( 86' V65 built. 167hp 173ftlb at the wheel ). Bike was built by an engineer for United Airlines who was a motorcycle nut. Scary fast that one was. And I am no small person either ( weight withheld to protect the innocent ). He told me to never put anything under 91 octane in it. When I moved he was working on a jet bike and was putting an airplane fuselage on it. Said he was going to hit the Salt Flats with it.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:15 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jserio
How do you do a wheelie? ...................
Twist the throttle in first or second and pull back. She will come right on up with my hefty 220 lbs *** on it. I don't clutch them up.

This might help some http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncPBZ9DRRk

There are plenty of other vids out there that teach you the basics.

Be careful, practice in a lot or somewhere, wear gear, and ride safe.

Bonus, I think part 2 has some nice VTR wheelies from the fastbikes vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWMYc1HtoWE . If its not part 2, check out part 3 as that will be the one. (I'm at work and can't see vids )

Last edited by haknslash; 06-17-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
There is some extensive talk about that here.

here
Old 06-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
twist the wrist quickly anywhere above 4k and the front wheel gets really light
Old 06-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...lie+motorcycle
Old 06-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Back Marker

okay, I read the other thread. Do you " POP " the clutch or let of gradually?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:15 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are gonna clutch it up, then you just barely pull the clutch in, enough to get the rpms to start climbing, then quickly release... More of a "slipping the clutch" type deal... If your pulling the clutch in all the way, your taking to long to do it...

If you are going to clutch it, start slow.... Some people say this makes the bike come up easier, but I think it makes the bike come up far more drastic... Once you figure out when to slip the clutch, and at what RPM's and speed's work well for you, then it isn't a bad thing... But I like the power wheelie more... The wheel does come up quick, but there is more "oh ****" time to let off the throttle if you pulled it up to high, or where not going straight and feel unstable...

Either way... be carefull, and be responsible as possible. We all know that not everything is legal, and stuff happens in places it shouldn't... however please remember if you decide to start playing around on one wheel... You have to think about your safety, as well as what people and property are you possibly gonna hit if you loose control and send the bike ghost riding, or sliding down the road...

have fun
Old 06-17-2008, 07:36 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
My wife says just about anytime I gas it hard in first the front comes up. You don't always feel it.
By the way, she is riding her SV not on the back of my VTR, so she has a good perspective. You've probably wheelied already but don't know it.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Back Marker

I know I've wheelie'd on accident . My brother riding along side me waving for me to put the front wheel down.. That was the time I did it at 80 mph. Smiled and **** my pants all at the same moment.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Back Marker

Thanks all. Hope to see one of you guys go mono on a ride sometime.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
Lots of different techniques, another easy one is to run it up to 4 grand or so in second, roll off the throttle to slightly compress the front end, and when it starts rising again, nail it. No pulling on the bars needed. The hard part about wheelies is finding the balance point and riding it, lifting the wheel is easy.

A word to the wise for all you new stunters out there, cover the rear brake with your foot. If the bike starts coming up too fast or too high for you, a little light pressure will float it down, ease off the throttle, do not chop the throttle, as this will upset the bike and could make for a hard landing.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:33 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trackdayhawk
The hard part about wheelies is finding the balance point and riding it.
I could never do that on a bicycle as a kid, always flipped the bike. I thought I should stay away from that happening on a motorcycle. I do the occasional power wheelie, but it's only a foot up max.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:48 AM
Squid

tudor is on a distinguished road
don´t do it if you don´t feel comfortable with it. I.e. I don´t do wheelies at all.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:34 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
About a year ago I was going south on the I-5 in San Clemente, coming home from work, when a guy in a t shirt passed me going north on a CBR doing an extended wheelie standing on the pegs, front wheel to the sky at 75mph in traffic.

That kind of wheelie is not good for motorcyclists.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Clutching up wheelies is the only way to do them IMHO...
Old 06-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Back Marker

Surfer, I would have had to pull over after seeing that because I would have truly been amazed. Especially to see that live.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Squid

rhorsley is on a distinguished road
I've had my Hawk since April and I can honestly say I'm getting pretty good at power wheelies. I don't like to clutch it up though. I agree with what joshuatest said. I weigh 260 (I know, I know) and twisting the throttle back anywhere between 2,000 and 4,500 RPM stands it right up (the bike, that is). It is much easier now that I have gone from stock sprockets to the 15/43 setup. And I echo what was said before...carefule, careful, careful...and fast.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:32 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I did them for years on F4i's while sitting and slipping the clutch in 2nd at about 50mph. Next time you're on an open stretch of road, accelerate normally but when you hit 2nd twist the throttle a little harder while letting the clutch out faster than normal. Start small, be smooth, and maintain control. NEVER land with your front wheel turned. Do them sitting until you are comfy and close to that "weightless feeling" aka balance point. Then try shifting gears with it still up. Once you're comfy with that stand up and clutch it!
The best advice anyone can give you would be to do it in the dirt first. You will learn everything there, body positioning, throttle control, clutch control, and how to make the bike do what you want it to. Until then, don't be a goon and screw up your bike trying to do a bunch of girlie man wheelies.
Attached Thumbnails Okay, I think it's time for a stupid question.-uponone.jpg  

Last edited by Hotbrakes; 06-19-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:53 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Also if you switch gears I wouldn't use the clutch. Bad experiences when I was growing up on the dirt bikes heh.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:00 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Hotbrakes...

I love that picture... I don't know that I ride with anybody I trust enough to ride a wheelie next to me... Not to mention I haven't done any standup's on this bike yet...

There is a hill top that i hit 4-5 times before my accident that I would stand up on, and bring up 2nd gear wheelie's on... and I've ridden then sitting down on this bike... I was getting more comfortable, then had the accident.. so i'm stuck with being good... Have pulled some 1st gear power stuff, but those run out of rpm's to quick... But ever since the accident, i just haven't been able to get myself to pull 2nd gear up again....

I had stock gearing before accident. went to 15/41, then to 15/43, and now trying out the 16/43 for a while... I think i'm gonna stick with 15/43... good compromise, and super easy to swap fronts prockets if i decide to go back...