General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Noooooooooooo!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
Noooooooooooo!

I have been working all weekend on painting my tank. I sanded the hell out of it, and bondo'd the few dings it has. I have never filled dents before, so it took a while. I sanded the **** out of it all day saturday and into today. I primed it, sanded it, primed it, sanded it etc until it looked absolutely perfect. Then I used my BRAND NEW paint gun to paint it. I have never used a paint gun before, so it took a while, but I got 3 good coats on it and was ready for clear. It took all weekend long but it looked good. Until I came into the garage half an hour ago to find it had fallen off it's stool and landed pretty side down on the concrete, and then poured all of it's gas all over my totally finished (except the gas proof part [Irony?]) and completely ruined everything. I am not a man for tears, but when I opened that door and saw it's ravaged remains strewn about the floor, I almost cried. Sigh. Take two.

Last edited by maverick; 04-19-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:19 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Political differences aside, I feel your pain...Seriously.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Superstock

I appreciate that. And political differences be damned, I'd still have you over for a barbecue.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
that sucks man. I had a similar situation happen. I put about 20 hours of work into my ducati monster gastank. Got it perfect. Next day a kid tries to do a burnout on a 4 wheel drive 4wheeler and t bones my bike.

You have experience now though
Old 04-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Superstock

Yeah. That's true. We'll see how well I can recover it.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:59 PM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
Had a guy... who knew better... walk up and touch my clean pre-paint project, asking if it was ready... I said "yep", and preceded to paint. Three perfect fingerprints caused a total redo!

Paint is like that...

LB
Old 04-19-2009, 11:11 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I feel your pain. I made a dumb mistake once too....by crashing my bike!!! Hopefully this mishap will only cost you time and not more money!
Old 04-19-2009, 11:32 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Ah, it was a practice run. This time it's going to get painted by an experienced arteest, lol.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:43 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
That sucks... Like the others said its good practice for the next attempt - hope that one works out for you.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Awww...that sucks!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:04 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Note to self: Put tank securely on work bench when finished painting. Sorry to hear about the wasted paint job - 2nd time's a charm.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:02 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry man... I guess the worst of it is the floor, huh? Sympathies. Upside... at least you didn't have a fire, too!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Back Marker

mdbuehler
Ahhh, sorry to hear that! Did sort of the same thing with a complete set of bodywork after clearing it. It shouldve been dry, so we moved it onto some towels on the bench to avoid scratching things, then went to move it later and found the @#$@ paper towels were now part of the bodywork
Old 04-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Superstock

thanks guys. i got it repainted. looots of orange peel. but i don't really mind a little texture. it's uniform, you can't tell where the dents used to be and it seems durable. so lesson learned. stool does not equal proper tank holder.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
I have done things like that...do it over and you will feel better.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 AM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
Man that sucks! I've had crazy stuff happen like that to me a few times over the years.

The worst was when I was doing custom paint and we were doing a 50 Merc custom and the paint was a candy cobalt blue over a gm blue metallic base. The first time I was using someone elses gun and on one of the last couple passes on the passenger rocker panel to finish the job the gun momentarily clogged and shot a glob of crap out ruining the job. After sanding it all back down, as I was shooting it the 2nd time some idiot decided to bang on the door to the booth to tell me I had a phone call and a bunch of overspray dust fell from the ceiling and settled all over the top. hood and trunk. The 3rd time the paint job went perfectly but when we came in the next morning and opened the booth to pull the car out a ******* water beetle had crawled across the hood, up the windshield and got stuck on the roof. After that the owner of the shop said he was going to finish it himself cuz it was way too expensive...lol I refuse to spray candy jobs now.
________
HERBAL VAPORIZERS

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:31 AM.