Nitrile Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Nitrile Gloves

Originally Posted by fred
man. i have a dentists appointment at 9AM. cold rain all day tomorrow. better put liner back in my jacket and hit the sack.
it's raining outside. i spent two and one half hours in a dentist chair this morning. my dentist is downtown and from the northeast facing window i could see the fog rolling through the tall buildings. after i was released, i decided that the fog and mist over the lake would be worth a spin. i was intending to head north because it looked like there was more fog up north, but i headed south. i don't no why. i blew right past 47th Street, my intended turnaround point, and ended up getting off at 55th and getting lost. i planned to head north up to 47th street where i knew i could get back on the drive. and after numerous convoluted street moves i ended up on Lake Park AV, which would take me smoothly up to 47th. unfortunately, after passing 55th and 56th street it became clear to me that i was headed south instead of north.

i extracted myself from Lake Park AV onto Stony Island AV, but somehow blew by my intended approach to the 57th ST Museum entrance onto LSD. i corrected and made a left on Hayes and another left on S Cornell AV and was oriented correctly for a change and moving toward 57th ST. by this time there'd been a steady rain for almost 20 minutes. i'd driven into it by heading south instead of north on LSD. i had rain-gear, but my ft over-pants were still in my tank bag nice and dry. the front of my jeans were sorta soaked. i wasn't too cold, though, so no big deal. finally got on the drive and pushed north in very light traffic going about 100. usually speed-traps on LSD disappear when the weather gets too nasty and they tend not to hang on weekends anyway. they grab as any drivers as they can handle M-F during both rush hours. the speed-limit is 45 in the summer. 40 in the winter.

as i approach town, traffic gets thicker and i slow down. it is kind of slick out. as i'm approaching the Chi River bridge, the gates are down and the bridge is going up. damn. i can't quite see what big boat is the cause of this and then the first little sailboat in a floatilla from winter dry-dock appears on the lake side of the bridge. they wave and i give them the finger :-). at least they are getting rained on. the bridge is up for 20 minutes. yes, 20 minutes they stop traffic both ways and i sit in the rain on LSD for a bunch of snooty-assed armchair sailers.

when the bridge finally comes down i'm the first one through the starting gate and have the normally congested gold-coast part of LSD northbound all to myself. i wish i was riding the SH instead of the NT now, but it's probably good i was HP challenged. the roads were kind of slick and my judgement and luck had not been stellar this morning. my jeans are really getting soaked and the novelty of the heavy fog on the lake has worn off. i de-LSD at North AV and head south on LaSalle. i need gas, i'm on reserve. should i head west on Chicago AV or Grand AV? i'm running dangerously low on nitrile gloves. there's a gas station and a NAPA on Grand that i'll pass heading home. so why did i turn west on Chicago instead of proceeding south to Grand? not sure. i guess i figured i could pop into the BP just west of LaSalle and then angle over to Grand when i hit Ogden. so much on-coming traffic impeding my left turn to the BP that i aborted and kept heading west.

come up fast over the bridge and up toward Halsted where there is a jumble of cars on this side of the intersection. a cab and a car had decided to stop for a meeting in the right lane right at the entrance to the intersection. i hold my horn as i weave past their unfortunately common idiot Chicago driver behavior. i angle left on Ogden next to an SUV that cannot decide which lane it would like to occupy. it appears to be favoring the right lane, so i move over to its left as it decides, no. it will occupy the left lane. i weave back over into the right lane and stare at them as they look back at me with a sense of bewilderment. i blow past them as they are deciding whether or not to stay in the left lane. i take a right on Grand and finally get safely to the BP after waiting to make a left into it for a good 30 seconds due to lots of cars coming east. bonus. the pump i stop at is actually working. i fuel up the tiny NT650 tank that has a range just over that of the SH.

i get back on Grand and slow to make a left at the NAPA. there is still a lot of on-coming traffic, so i'm stopped in the left lane checking my rear-view for what seems to be half a minute. finally, there's just enough room for me to make my left turn. i release the clutch and just start to lean left when i stall the bike. i think it was in second instead of first. how dumb. i'm not in oncoming traffic, but i'm fixated on the car quickly approaching when i should have been righting the bike. i lose the battle and clunk, the hawk is now lying on its left side. i have to get on its left side in order to pick it up. my face-shield is fogged up something awful as i'm frantically checking for big shadows coming up behind me. so far so good. i finally flip up my face-shield so that i can, at least, see. i get my butt on the bike and start it up. rats, the gear-shift lever is bent in too far for operation and the bike stalls because it's probably in third gear by now. still enough room behind me to jump off and wheel it over to the curb. whew! i'm feeling pretty stupid by now, but within an instant i'm feeling really intelligent.

a week or two ago, when the SH started making horrible clanking noises from the rear cylinder and i got it into the garage, i had the presence of mind to remove the tool-kit and put it in the NT. i only have 1 toolkit that holds a combination of tools for both these bikes. i guess i should put together a second one. i pull off the hawk tail and grab the first chunk of metal that will give me the leverage to bend the gear-shift lever back out to where it is supposed to be. cool. i replace the toolkit, turn and remove the key from the seat release. for some reason i'm having abnormal difficulty getting the tail back in and locked onto the frame. but i preserver.

hmmm. where are my keys? i look all over the pavement around the bike hoping that i didn't do what i'm pretty sure that i did. not in any of my pockets. damn! now i'm not feeling really intelligent anymore. i'm stranded with my keys looked under the seat. i screw around for about another 10 minutes examining the edges under the tail hoping that the keys will be visible. finally, i give the tail section a good tug and it pops. i'm able to remove it. the gummy keychain was blocking the ability for the seat to fully lock.

i leave the bike and walk across the street to the NAPA store. there's a teenage kid helping out behind the counter today. "hi, where are you nitrile gloves?" he gives me a vague look and pulls a box full of mechanics gloves out from under the counter. "no [******* (not verbalized)], nitrile gloves. Jake (i think that's his name. he showed me his prize lock-blade one day. the handle had a glossy confederate flag design on it), comes over to assist. "you want latex gloves, right?" "no. i do not want latex gloves. i want nitrile gloves. you know, vinyl gloves." Jake directs the kid to a shelf in the store. they have boxes and boxes of latex gloves. sigh! "nobody uses latex gloves anymore [you ********]!" oh wait. there's one box of… yes, nitrile gloves among the mountains of latex. XL says the kid. "those are too big for me [you *******]." he looks around a little more. "they're the only box we have." the ancient box is half open, so i complete that and try one on. it's pretty loose. "how much are they?" Jake does a quick calculation in his head. "Thirteen bucks." i walk out the door grumbling and shaking my head. what are they gonna do with all those latex gloves?

--fred
Old 05-14-2011, 03:06 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Once they try to change a fuel filter, or use a spray cleaner, they'll know how useless those latex gloves are... about as useless as 75% of the people who work in most parts stores.

I use latex for changing oil though. They're cheaper.

Sorry, I only read the title and your last paragraph. So, if the first 100 pages of your novel had another question, I apologise.

Did you visit any good blues clubs while you were cruising around Chicago?

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 05-14-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Once they try to change a fuel filter, or use a spray cleaner, they'll know how useless those latex gloves are... about as useless as 75% of the people who work in most parts stores.

I use latex for changing oil though. They're cheaper.

Sorry, I only read the title and your last paragraph. So, if the first 100 pages of your novel had another question, I apologise.
no worries. but please try and read chapter 2 in full when i've finished it and posted it next week.

how long have you been using latex gloves? you do know that it is a fact that about 99% of humans will develop an allergic reaction to latex after prolonged exposure. they're nasty sh*t. give them to a neighbor you don't like and buy thin nitrile in bulk. cheep. or is it cheap.

Did you visit any good blues clubs while you were cruising around Chicago?
not today. they tend not to open until late afternoon. i was really excited about going to see Bomba Estereo at the Empty Bottle tonight, though. i called a couple of hours ago. they're already sold out.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:44 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
how long have you been using latex gloves? you do know that it is a fact that about 99% of humans will develop an allergic reaction to latex after prolonged exposure. they're nasty sh*t. give them to a neighbor you don't like and buy thin nitrile in bulk. cheep. or is it cheap.
I taught vocational automotives for 34 years, before retiring 2 years ago. I started using latex gloves about 15 years ago, and I've never had any problems. But like I said, I only use them for changing oil now. I use GatorSkin blue nitrile for working on the carbs, etc. But I don't wear gloves all the time while working on vehicles. They make my hands sweat too much.

It's cheap. Cheep is the sound baby chickens make.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Interesting story, especially since I was just in Chicago last week for a few days, on some of the roads you mentioned.

I use latex all the time, although it is getting replaced by nitrile in most medical settings. I'm assuming you were exaggerating about the 99% statistic. Minor latex allergies are fairly common, but nowhere near 99%.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by evines
Interesting story, especially since I was just in Chicago last week for a few days, on some of the roads you mentioned.

I use latex all the time, although it is getting replaced by nitrile in most medical settings. I'm assuming you were exaggerating about the 99% statistic. Minor latex allergies are fairly common, but nowhere near 99%.
i wasn't exaggerating. ok. i pulled that number out of the air :-) you won't find latex in healthcare anymore for a reason though. i have an intense hatred of the stuff because my hands are highly allergic to it.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
part of the point of my initial post was that i went through a lot of trouble in order to get to that NAPA. the fact that they were pretty much ignorant of the existence of nitrile gloves really raised my blood-pressure at the time. i almost caused numerous catastrophes for myself in order to get to them. in fact, i'm still pissed at them. i'm going to avoid patronizing their store for a while. what kind of auto-parts store only thinks in latex??

Safety and Health Topics: Latex Allergy

-f
Old 05-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
F,
Healthcare supply stores always stock nitriles, and they're probably cheaper there. I've even seen them (& vinyl gloves) in Target & Walmart, in the pharmacy sections. I'm almost surprised the auto parts tech even knew about latex ones, let alone the non-latex ones.
Sorry about your latex allergy...but as a healthcare professional for over 20yrs, latex is still pretty common in healthcare settings. Latex sensitivities are becoming more common, but severe allergies are still kinda rare. The real issue for most people is the powder that latex gloves usually have with them. To this end, several latex glove manufacturers have stopped using powder as a release agent (like tire companies do), and allergy rates have slowed considerably. If you have a big problem with latex gloves, you can also order nitrile online pretty inexpensively. Probably not helpful now, but maybe in the future?
Old 05-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by 102dals
F,
Healthcare supply stores always stock nitriles, and they're probably cheaper there. I've even seen them (& vinyl gloves) in Target & Walmart, in the pharmacy sections. I'm almost surprised the auto parts tech even knew about latex ones, let alone the non-latex ones.
Sorry about your latex allergy...but as a healthcare professional for over 20yrs, latex is still pretty common in healthcare settings. Latex sensitivities are becoming more common, but severe allergies are still kinda rare. The real issue for most people is the powder that latex gloves usually have with them. To this end, several latex glove manufacturers have stopped using powder as a release agent (like tire companies do), and allergy rates have slowed considerably. If you have a big problem with latex gloves, you can also order nitrile online pretty inexpensively. Probably not helpful now, but maybe in the future?
you won't find one f**king latex glove in any hospital worth its salt in the Chicago area. i work for a department at one of these hospitals. we shoot vendors that try and sell us latex gloves. no joke. there's a "Latex Graveyard" at 61st and Ellis. and NOBODY brings flowers... EVER!

i wouldn't be surprised to see them at Our Lady of Resurection and some other pits where you'll be lucky to be discharged alive. yes the powder is BS, but the fact remains that latex is for LOSERS!! and the fact that my local NAPA doesn't even know what nitrile is makes them worthy of scorn and ridicule.

hmmm. sorry. i got a little excited there. i'm calmed down again. let me put it another way. LATEX BITES.

sh*t. The World is supposed to end in two minutes! better post this thing.

--fred

Last edited by fred; 05-23-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
sh*t. The World is supposed to end in two minutes! better post this thing.
so how did everyone's EOW go? i was actually confused a bit because the world, i guess, isn't supposed to end just yet. anyhow, right after i posted the previous post, i ran to the front of the house to see the EOW. and, instead, i got rapatured! see photo my wife took of where i'd been standing before vaporizing (note rare "Simpsons Go Funky Reggae" t-shirt i'd been wearing. my wife immediately claimed that):

unfortunately, the chain of command in heaven quickly realized their mistake and sent me back to endure, what... 5 months of pestilence? they wouldn't even let me keep my white robe, so i ended up naked somewhere on the far west side. not good. and those bastards re-assigned all of my allergies that had been wiped away at the moment of rapture.

--fred