General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New VFR 1200

Old 10-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Squid

cnw126 is on a distinguished road
New VFR 1200

OK, does anyone actually like the new VFR 1200?

Sure it is full of techno gizmo yada yada. But would you ever consider actually buying one, with money!?

Personally I can not believe that someone at Honda gave the go ahead to build and try and sell this thing. Good Luck!
Old 10-09-2009, 04:12 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
honda's been going in the wrong direction lately. the vfr1200f doesn't top the dn-01 in the weird dept though.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
no i wouldnt! its fugly and expensive. so i say gsxf1250 needs to get to my local dealer!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Back Marker

j_frank is on a distinguished road
I want to see one in person. What are they gonna be selling for?
Old 10-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Tokyo show/ Dec. I predict $16K+
Old 10-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Nose Picker
Back Marker

996SSVTR is on a distinguished road
Actually I like it, it has character unlike all of the other cookie cutter bikes. Also the SH in its day was a little odd too.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:29 PM
SuperBike

996ssvtr - sorry i have to disagee. when the superhawk was released it was not odd at all. it was a hit.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:43 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I dunno, it's just Honda's version of a busa in a V4. That's how I see it anyway...
Old 10-11-2009, 05:27 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
this is no busa,think cross country touring.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2009/...ics-specs.html

I'm going to reserve judgement for a while to see how it grows on me. I don't mind the looks, but i'm not super-crazy about it. It looks just like a :

Old 10-11-2009, 07:27 AM
SuperBike

they talk about a combo of three bikes: st1300, vfr800 and blackbird. i say it's closest to the st1300. over 600lbs doesn't do it for me. high hp does, and i'd like to try a v4. i think i like vtwins better for character but don't know for sure.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
Resembles a beemer I'd say.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:43 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by storm_rider
Resembles a beemer I'd say.
Maybe that's the market they are going after ?

To the technology pundits, everything I've read about paddle shifters/dual clutch transmissions on cars has pretty much been favorable, let's give this one a chance.
Also, I for one am glad that points and condensors are gone.........

As far as the weight is concerned, Honda has a knack for making bikes feel about 200 pounds lighter than they are once the wheels start turning.

I for one will give this one a chance.

Kai Ju
Old 10-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
I really like it, big brakes, inverted forks, talk of 200hp, very sporty and a family resemblance to the CBR 1000RR. I do think it will make all prior VFRs feel underpowered (sure of this) and slow handling (no as sure of this).
Old 10-11-2009, 02:02 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

liberal bitch... :-)
Old 10-11-2009, 02:25 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I am sure that we have a rather narrow market of individuals here at SHforum. If you drop the its not for me, so its not for anyone, you will see that they are marketing to DIFFERENT people than they already have for customers.

DN-01- I want to ride, but hate scooters and have no clue how to operate a clutch

vfr800- I like technology and sportbikes, but my hips cannot be folded up to my chin, and I would like to ride more than 150miles in a day without pain.

cbr600rr- I graduated highschool and want to be Jake Zemke but would also like to be able to afford insurance and my parents are new to motorcycles

cbr1000rr- I have friends that just graduated high school and they ride faster, lean farther, and pull bigger wheelies than me. 110hp at the rear wheel wont do it for me.

rc51- I want to be different, i like miguel

superhawk- I have no clue what I want from a motorcycle, my motorcycle should be the same, having no clue what it would like to do (tour, sport, commute, be a garage queen)

gl1800-I have the money to buy what I want, and it is the best touring bike available. I may just ride to Prudhoe Bay tomorrow

NT700v- What is motorcycling, what is a clutch? Lets give touring a try

cruiser, vtx-rebel-
i really wanted to look like a wild hog

fury- I am having some sort of life crisis, also bought an audi

See, its all about different markets. If it wasn't, they would produce one bike. I am guessing that they would produce a sport bike if that was the case, just do to sales. The problem is that the cbr's wouldn't, and cannot, do everything for everyone. we could start a "i would ride it survey" to see what type of people we have here. Give it a shot, but realize that is not the purpose of it. It would be the equivalent of going to a biker bar and asking who would trade up for a spree.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Squid

cnw126 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach

See, its all about different markets. If it wasn't, they would produce one bike. I am guessing that they would produce a sport bike if that was the case, just do to sales. The problem is that the cbr's wouldn't, and cannot, do everything for everyone. we could start a "i would ride it survey" to see what type of people we have here. Give it a shot, but realize that is not the purpose of it. It would be the equivalent of going to a biker bar and asking who would trade up for a spree.

I agree with you. There are markets for all kinds of bikes and anything for that matter.

I would love to ride one of these VFR 1200's. I want to see what it is about.

However, for me it is all a novelty.

I think the engine is probably fantastic! I am sure it handles well and does everything right but maybe to right if you get my drift.

Check out this

http://powersports.honda.com/vfr/#/home

Especially watch the Dual-clutch transmission video.

Have you ever thought during your riding experiences "gee I am out here having fun, enjoying the scenery, loving life, if only my bike remained more level as I roll through the gears with out having to shift for my self."

This is supposed to be a sport tourer but only has a 4.8 gallon gas tank and a 1200cc engine.

With my sarcasm aside. I think that most riders who are in the market for this type of bike will not want the gizmos. Or that is exactly why they will buy the bike.

Remember this is a 1200cc replacement for the VFR 800. Which has won I don't know how many awards, accolades, and has been a bench mark for many other motorcycles since the 750 version of the 1980's.

Also remember this is not a bike for beginners. It is a 1200 with a rumored 200 hp! It is also very expensive. There are many alternatives for a person in the market.

I believe that if Honda offered the bike without the dual-clutch transmission and a larger fuel capacity they would sell more of these. I for one would be more interested. Honda has lost 1 potential sale in me personally. I would much rather have the standard FJR 1300 (which has the auto clutch thing as an OPTION).

Who knows, maybe it will be a top seller as is.

It is my opinion that this bike is a mistake, will not sell very well, but in the end will be a very good motorcycle.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:40 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
My 2 cents...I'm sure it will be an amazing machine. Not too thrilled about the weight, but that should tell you right there what kind of bike it is. I wasn't thrilled about the headlight, but the bike is already growing on me and looks pretty sharp in the running pics above. I think a BMW logo would certainly not look out of place on this bike, and that's certainly not meant to be a bad thing. I'm thinking more concours and less zx-14. I'm thinking people are WISHING for 200hp...who knows maybe Honda will surprise us.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 AM
SuperBike

captain, you're right, 200hp is a pretty lofty number.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

does no one ever click links? it's right there in post #10 - 172hp
Old 10-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Superstock

Billzilla15 is on a distinguished road
i thinks its not bad, that headlight kills me tho, it's a butterface
Old 10-12-2009, 12:06 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
While I "get" what the VFR 1200 is about, I ride a bike thats almost a teenager because its a basic machine, technologically and aesthetically.

Even though I have the money and the nod from the spousal unit for a new bike, I can't bring myself to overcome the origami/transformers design parameters of the art execution nor the tech for tech sake of the engineering department.

Go ahead, call me a luddite, I know you want to, but there I am on an anvil that still works.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:29 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PUSHrod
While I "get" what the VFR 1200 is about, I ride a bike thats almost a teenager because its a basic machine, technologically and aesthetically.

Even though I have the money and the nod from the spousal unit for a new bike, I can't bring myself to overcome the origami/transformers design parameters of the art execution nor the tech for tech sake of the engineering department.

Go ahead, call me a luddite, I know you want to, but there I am on an anvil that still works.
I agree. And I don't think my superhawk "looks old." I love the styling. And no one else that sees it ever thinks it looks old either. But I'm also a fan of the clean late 90's/early 00's styling, and less so of what's being made today, especially by the Japanese, with their bikes, and also alot of their cars. And the superhawk still does the job of a sporting streetbike Honda designed it to do just as well as it did when it first came out. I don't need a two wheeled Honda Accord, not yet anyway... I kinda like that my superhawk sounds "right" (a shadow sounds like a motorboat), vibrates and pops on decel, gets shitty gas mileage (okay maybe not so much that), and actually has a little character. It's not usually something a Honda is accused of
Old 10-12-2009, 02:26 PM
SuperBike

for me the sport bike market began to take looks into the weird direction in 2005. the gp exhaust seemed to be the begining. shrinking fairings didn't help. by 2008 honda ruined the cbr, discontinued the rc, kawi made the zx10 look like an insect, etc... ducati is still making the sexy 1098 that still looks like a ducati superbike.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
Finepooch
by 2008 honda ruined the cbrby 2008 honda ruined the cbr
I do not know what your definition of ‘ruin’ is but as I own a 2008 CBR1000RR I can’t imagine what it is. Maybe you don’t like the looks but as far as function, the bike is amazing and if it is ruined then bring my more ruined bikes.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:15 PM
SuperBike

that post was strictly about looks. i didn't say the cbr doesn't function(speed and performance). character function might be questioned though.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Back Marker

Dave in NY is on a distinguished road
The new VFR isn't nearly as ugly as the spy pics had it (for me at least) but that seems like a hell of a lot of weight to be lugging around, even at 170 HP. If that's a crankshaft HP number, then rear wheel HP is likely more in the range of 140-145 - not bad at all, but if it's pushing close to 600 lbs.?

I haven't seen anything about possible factory luggage either, something that I think you should have been able to get as a factory option on the VFR from the mid-90's on. It's odd that Honda never seemed to understand the market for that.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Squid

FlamFlamMan is on a distinguished road
Well, I can't say that I would go buy it, but I would definitely consider buying it for my dad who it really excited about it. He grew up riding honda's all through high school and college, and he still owns a couple, but he won't ride them that long.
Cruisers hurt his back after a while, and sports bikes hurt his shoulders and upper back. This leaves him with sports tourers and standards. The VFR1200 is his cup of tea because as he put it, "That's perfect! I'm too old and my body it too broken to keep shifting all the time."
Also, I can see the dual clutch as an option on the Goldwing for sure. It will also be a nice feature for people missing certain limbs who don't feel like trying to master one of the setups currently offered for them.
I will test drive one if they let me, and I hope it is still cool. They should make it an option though.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
Finepooch I thought that is what you meant. JIM
Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
Some real stats:

588 pounds
170 HP
95 F-LBS

PS:
You talk about looks and guys mention the Super Hawk, well it is one of the best looking bikes period!. Looks are emotional and like emotions they change; there are times when I look at my Super Hawk and I feel that it is the best looking bike ever made. It is not always that way but enough that I cannot deny to myself that it’s design is in the upper echelon of motorcycle art.

Last edited by Jim TT; 10-12-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New VFR 1200