General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

NEW Super Hawk / Fire Storm

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 03:11 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
haven't heard anything on this model, but it sure looks good.

It seems like a mix between CBR, VFR, and VTR! a nice photoshop effort!
Old 07-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
That does look pretty sweet. I'd love to see that on the showroom floor. I'd buy one in a heartbeat!
Old 07-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Back Marker

Random
Re: NEW Super Hawk / Fire Storm

That drawing looks a tad 'sporty' for the Superhawk replacement. The "sport" side is handled rather well by the RC51. Unless honda Drops the RC51 and replaces it with "do all" revised SH, I don't think Honda's gonna redo the SH. It sells well as it is, and it's far enough away market wise from the RC51. It COULD use an update to better compete with the SV1000 and similar "standard" and "semi-fared" V-Twin's out there, but I dont' see honda doing it anytime soon. I think the SH is going to end up like the Concours...never ending, but never changing either.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:21 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
I kinda like the sv 1000's look. If I was in the market I might take a hard look at one of those.

You figure that not alot of choices out there when it comes to a v-twin sportbike without going into RC territory.

You have the S/Hawk, a SV 650 or 1000 or ducati/aprilla ($$$) What other sporting V-Twins are there?

I think if Honda could improve the handling and brakes on the s/hawk and add fuel injection, maybe bump up the horses a bit(I'd like to see 140 hp)and give it a little facelift, you'd have a killer bike with very little competetors(SP)
Old 07-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Back Marker

Random
Re: NEW Super Hawk / Fire Storm

140 is a pipe dream. You'd have to get to "race" level of technology/parts in order to get 140 WHP out of 996cc. Then the SH would be as expensive as the Duc's. (look at the 998R or 999R).

In order to get the 120 out of the RC, they had to compramise the powerband down low (compare a SH dyno to a RC51 dyno).

I'd be happy if they could match the 120 of the RC51/SV1000/TL1000R but keep the stout bottom torque/midrange.

If Honda kills the RC, then I could see a more "sporting" SH. If Honda kills the SH, the I could see a more "Civilized" RC come out.

The "new" SV-S's look like Oragami, not motorcycles. Aprilia started that look with the "Futura" and dammit, everone seems to have copied it. I much prefer the smooth rounded lines of the SH, the original SV, The 'busa...etc...

KTM is going to come out with their 998 V-Twin street fighter (semi-fared) sometime in 05. There's always Moto-Guzzi if you like your cylinders sideways. Cagiva was also working on a V-twin...but it's in the "italian" price range. Who knows, maybe Kawi will suprise folks with a V-Twin sporty, or maybe Yamaha? (updated V-Max minus 200 lbs?)
Old 08-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Back Marker

mamisano is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure that a simple power/suspension upgrade is the way to go. The frame needs a redesign... Tuned Flex was great back in 1997 and for 100hp, but I doubt it will stand up to ~120hp and a much improved suspension.

My choice would be either kill the bike off, or replace it with an entirely new model. I would rather not have a kludged current bike with upgrades.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Back Marker

mamisano is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally, I don't think that I would upgrade to another Superhawk. It has been around the same way for so long that any changes should be a new bike. Kinda like the Hawk GT to the SuperHawk. Maybe a SuperHawk GT to fill the void of the outgoing RC51 (if/when it does) and a standard SuperHawk based on the current bike with some MINOR tweaks (EFI, Forks).

I can see doing springs/valves on my front end, and MAYBE a new shock and that is as far as I will go. If I want more performance, I will likely go with a used RC51 or possibly a 600RR.

The Current 'Hawk suits my needs as a daily commuter and weekend carver. If I those needs change, then I will get a bike to suit them, not change the 'Hawk for what it wasn't designed for.

You are never going to find a "Do-It-All" bike...