General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New super hawk fan haha

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
New super hawk fan haha

For any one that has been following my threads and answering my 20 questions here are some results.

So i changed out the oil like you all told me and the filter.. it had id say maybe about 2 quarts or a bit less in it..so hopefully it is more then enough to pick up and have lube run thru it all on that amount.. changed it out to 3.5 quarts give or take a touch..i just went for mid sight glass level and changed the filter out.

Tires ended up having 15 psi front 20 rear. but the sides are still smoked.

Ok so my buddy comes over on his bad *** new yamaha 600. brings me the air pump and takes hte bike for a test ride to see whats whatand if he can offer any suggestions and to check the front bearing on that speed wobble we spoke of in another thread..

bearings check out.. tires trashed.. he gets on goes for a ride,, comes back wide eyed..tells me omg this bike is bad *** it would smoke my bike it picked me up in every gear with quarter throttle..and he is 280 pounds..lol

he is raving on how good a v twin sounds..he hints this is way to much bike for me that i should start with something smaller..said it took all his skill to ride the hawk around my twisty crazy little nieghbor hood. he hints at him wanting one now..lol.

he had a few worries though..and said to ask the forums..

1 the throttle was sticky..like he said it seemed like it was not rolling on smooth..he suggested some sea foam cleaner..but to make sure it wont hurt anything in the hawk.. any suggestions on that for the carb cleaning?

and 2 the front brakes do not pick up for quite a bit and the lever feels..like spongy but it sticks and kind of skips.. it does not feel anything like pulling on his new 600's front brakes.. is this commen with the hawk or should i be looking into something mechanical?

hahah man it was awesome he kept raving about the bike. made me smile
Old 06-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Back Marker

Fozzy Bear is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 5150
and 2 the front brakes do not pick up for quite a bit and the lever feels..like spongy but it sticks and kind of skips.. it does not feel anything like pulling on his new 600's front brakes.. is this commen with the hawk or should i be looking into something mechanical?

hahah man it was awesome he kept raving about the bike. made me smile
Sounds like standard VTR brakes to me. There would be no comparison to the brakes on an R6. About the only real fix is to at least change the calipers (01 gixxers are great)
Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
change the brake, clutch, and fork fluid. change the engine coolant as well. SeaFoam works GREAT as a fuel system cleaner and gas stabilizer. use it generously with your next fill up. The brakes should feel better with some fresh fluid and a good bleed.

check these posts for more useful info.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ght=mighty+vac

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...=spring+spruce
Old 06-07-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear
Sounds like standard VTR brakes to me. There would be no comparison to the brakes on an R6. About the only real fix is to at least change the calipers (01 gixxers are great)
thank you for the info Fozzy B
Old 06-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
change the brake, clutch, and fork fluid. change the engine coolant as well. SeaFoam works GREAT as a fuel system cleaner and gas stabilizer. use it generously with your next fill up. The brakes should feel better with some fresh fluid and a good bleed.

check these posts for more useful info.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ght=mighty+vac

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...=spring+spruce

Thank you Shizzy. i will get that done this week. hey Shizzy do you ever eat black jack pizza?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:50 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

I think I've had it once or twice, decent if I recall. why?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
I think I've had it once or twice, decent if I recall. why?
i have a buddy that owns a few of them. was cusious if you liked the food or not
Old 06-07-2009, 10:26 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Really the best thing to do for the brakes is to get some F4i calipers and MC on there.. not quite a direct swap, but with a bit of grinding they fit. (01/02 GSXR1000 calipers fit but are pricey these days)
Old 06-08-2009, 06:08 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

don't tease me with food....
Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 AM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Yes. The stock brakes are spongy. I've got 600rr calipers and MC while my dad's is still stock. The difference is night and day.

I've never used Seafoam or similar products on bikes but most people seem to agree that it works. If it were me I'd tear into the carbs and clean them by hand. That will give you a chance to see what else might be going on in there.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
I'm using the stock brake calipers with EBC HH pads and Galfer ss lines. Works great.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:31 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
The stock brakes are disappointing. SS lines front and rear and EBC HH's up front and Kevlar in the back are a big improvement. One step up from that involves upgrading the front calipers and master cylinder using parts from other Hondas. There's a lot on this site about the swap.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:33 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
I found a complete setup with CBR calipers, steel braided lines, and MC on ebay for $100 total. Keep your eyes open as they come by every now and then.

Every time I ride with i-4 bikes, they can't stop talking about the sound of the hawk. You will get that a lot... dont worry.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
I've done Galfer superbike lines, ebc hh pads, and premium fluid on all of my past bikes, and will to this current SH shortly. Best combo imho, other then an upgrade swap to a different front end..
Old 06-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

what do you guys think is better..different front end swap or the brakes lines and mc route?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:24 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by newb007
I found a complete setup with CBR calipers, steel braided lines, and MC on ebay for $100 total. Keep your eyes open as they come by every now and then.

Every time I ride with i-4 bikes, they can't stop talking about the sound of the hawk. You will get that a lot... dont worry.
Ya, mine was $70 shipped, so I sprung for new EBC HH pads while I was at it.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:45 PM
motokraft
Back Marker

motokraft is on a distinguished road
1 maybe just oil throttle cable
2 if brakes seem that bad to your buddy , first bleed system with new fluid its only a coupla dollars . if still not good possible hoses are past there best ,

you may or may not need to follow up with more work but , at this price it would be pretty inexpensive

so why not try them first !!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:28 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I know this is off topic, but kelevra, what's up with the hottie avatars? been wondering for a few days now.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by motokraft
1 maybe just oil throttle cable
2 if brakes seem that bad to your buddy , first bleed system with new fluid its only a coupla dollars . if still not good possible hoses are past there best ,

you may or may not need to follow up with more work but , at this price it would be pretty inexpensive

so why not try them first !!
will do. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:52 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 5150
what do you guys think is better..different front end swap or the brakes lines and mc route?
different front end will certainly run you more money and time. first bleed out what you got and then if needed upgrade. at $100, a new front brake setup isn't a lot to waste. you can also always resell it.