General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

new guy with super hawk fever

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Squid

Xfactor is on a distinguished road
new guy with super hawk fever

Hello all,

So this has been my first year riding on a street bike. That being said my first bike is a1976 honda cb 750f, which I love. But having a 30+ year old bike is a bit staining. So I decided that I want to invest in a new street bike that I can take on long hauls and the first time I saw a super hawk I knew I wanted one.

So here I am now to seek some advice on a potential hawk that I might buy. The problem I an having is that I only have around 2000 to spend and the only one in my area for that price is a used track bike that has a dented gas tank and a scraped up left fairing.

I am not to keen on the idea of having a used track bike as my daily rider, but I here these hawks are basically bullet proof.

So I guess my question to the community is as follows, what should I be looking for when I go to look at a hawk? Any common problems I should be on the look out for? Is it stupid of me to consider paying 2000 for a bike it that shape, especially since it was a track bike?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/1981093635.html

That's the listing and any other help or info would be great,

Thanks,
Croix
Old 10-02-2010, 05:51 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Well, just my opinion but I wouldn't. I picked up my very clean low mileage hawk for 3500. Since then prices have come down a little. Try to find one that hasn't been beat on (sorry if this is a members bike). Track days are totally flogging the bitch and even an occasional get off as in this bike.
A quick search:
2750 (or best reasonable offer) gets you a clean low mileage, never dropped SH
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/mcy/1983832984.html

http://rockford.craigslist.org/mcy/1974396041.html
Old 10-02-2010, 09:10 AM
B R
Back Marker

B R is on a distinguished road
For me, a SH isn't a great bike for long hauls. Sure you can make some mods that will help, but you will still be kind of limited on fuel range. I know that quite a few people do some serious mileage on SHs, but there are so many other bikes/choices that would be more comfortable & more practical for long distance rides.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Squid

twitcher
Mate, For $2k I think it's a winner. I race mine. it's got over 73000 kms, all abusive, and all i've done is timing chain tensioners, and it's never given me any trouble. The track doesn't kill bikes, it just lets then stretch their legs a bit as long as you change the oil. like anything really.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Squid

Thanks for all the info guys. I sent a few people some messages asking for more info on the bikes. Now time to play it by ear and see what happens.

Croix
Old 10-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Squid

sschuyten is on a distinguished road
1998 Honda Superhawk For Sale Southern California $2500

1998 Honda Superhawk
15,600 miles
Two Brothers Exhaust and adjustable Clip-ons
Stainless front lines and wave rotors
New water pump and all seals
Flush mounts in front and white signals in rear.
Alum fender eliminator kit
Entire bike painted black in May 2010
Ready to ride
Riverside California
Title in Hand
Willing to listen to offers.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails new guy with super hawk fever-c1.jpg   new guy with super hawk fever-c5.jpg   new guy with super hawk fever-c3.jpg   new guy with super hawk fever-c6.jpg  
Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
You're gonna have to look past the cosmetics and really look at the bike itself. Check for signs of poor maintenance, ask when the last valve lash check was done, ask how many miles are on the oil... how long between changes, is the chain crusty and have too much slack, etc. I've bought and sold A LOT of bikes and I can tell you a clean bike doesn't tell the whole story.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Fox
Squid

Fox is on a distinguished road
I just purchased a 2004 SH with 2800 miles for $3200. $2K sounds a little high??
I rode this bike for the first time last weekend for 6 hours in the North Carolina mountains and other than filling up every 100 miles I would recommend this machine all day long. I had a VFR800 before this bike and this one seems to handle much better and has much more "get up and go".
Keep looking....I have a CB750 too....
Old 10-07-2010, 05:22 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fox
I just purchased a 2004 SH with 2800 miles for $3200. $2K sounds a little high??
I rode this bike for the first time last weekend for 6 hours in the North Carolina mountains and other than filling up every 100 miles I would recommend this machine all day long. I had a VFR800 before this bike and this one seems to handle much better and has much more "get up and go".
Keep looking....I have a CB750 too....
welcome aboard Fox. Sounds like you made a good purchase. Good luck with it.

Riding position/ergonomics is personal. You can adjust the clip-ons, hand controls and pegs to suit, but some may have to do Heli Bars, new seat, etc., to make the riding position comfortable. A common problem is that many riders use their arms/wrists for support, whereas with the SH you can use core strength and maintain light pressure on the bars, thus averting carpal and sleeping hands. This is difficult to impossible on other sportbikes with lower clip-ons like the 1098 Duc.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:55 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
To be honest, $2000 is probably a little high for that bike depending on the miles, but if you look around and are patient you might be able to find a superhawk in decent shape for your 2000 budget. I paid exactly $2000 almost three years ago for my '98 that had 28K on it. It wasn't perfect (had a bad regulator/rectifier, bent but usable levers, was backfiring a lot due to a missing exhaust gasket, and had mild road rash in a few places), but it ran great. And it runs even better now.

Assuming it's in good mechanical condition, I'd offer 1500 or so and see it the guy would take it. That 500 bucks should get you a tank in better condition with money left over for helibars or whatever else you want to fix or upgrade.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Fox
Squid

Fox is on a distinguished road
To my Altoona PA friend...I live in the Charlotte NC area but grew in in your neck of the woods (Clearfield)!
You caught my attention with your information about the riding position and options. I rode for six hours last Saturday and after a while I lost feeling in my right hand and had to stop many times to shake it off. Where do I learn more about options for hand controls, bars etc... being 47 (pretty good shape), about 6' 2" tall I like how this bike feels, runs and handles but I could use a little more of a senior citizen riding position. I swore I would never own a Goldwing or a ST and I like this SH alot.. BUT I think I would like it even better if I could make some adjustments.
many thanks....
Old 10-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Fox, look into performing a superbike bar mod on it. Yes it requires some trimming of the upper fairing, but I have to say for me (I have short arms I guess) it makes the reach about perfect and brings the bar back about an inch and a half and up at least that much as well. Was so nice on my long roadtrip to NorCal last month that I didn't even think about riding position. Of course it was hard to think about that since it was dumping rain on us for 5 days straight, but I digress...
-R
Old 10-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wyldryce
...... Yes it requires some trimming of the upper fairing, but I have to say for me (I have short arms I guess).........
You have T-Rex arm disease.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Squid

lylesvegas is on a distinguished road
Hold out for sure if your not in love with it. Just keep watching c-list and one will pop up for sure. I bought my 98 with 8500 miles for 2500. Which I thought was a great buy. About a month later where I live here in Knoxville a 05 stock as a clock with 6500 miles shows up for 2800. Dont get me wrong I love mine and am very happy with my deal but there is always going to be a better deal that comes around.

Name:  IMG_0252.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  105.7 KB
Old 10-07-2010, 06:05 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I'm going to come up at this from a different place: What other bike can you get for around 2k? I spent more than this five years ago for a Hawk GT. You couldn't get a beat-to-**** SV650 for 2k. So if you only have 2k, sure, go for it. Check the CCTs and reg, of course, but it's a lot of bike for the money.

Just know that in SH land the difference between a POS bike and something VERY nice is about 1.5-2k. So you can have the track bike, which will probably be fine, or save your pennies and get something very nice for another grand. How nice? VERY nice.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:11 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Fox
To my Altoona PA friend...I live in the Charlotte NC area but grew in in your neck of the woods (Clearfield)!
You caught my attention with your information about the riding position and options. I rode for six hours last Saturday and after a while I lost feeling in my right hand and had to stop many times to shake it off. Where do I learn more about options for hand controls, bars etc... being 47 (pretty good shape), about 6' 2" tall I like how this bike feels, runs and handles but I could use a little more of a senior citizen riding position. I swore I would never own a Goldwing or a ST and I like this SH alot.. BUT I think I would like it even better if I could make some adjustments.
many thanks....
I was born in Clearfield and still have some relatives lurking around over there. Small world huh.

Ergonomically, I have done a few minor mods but nothing like Helibars or others like the superbike mods that basically change the angle and height of the clip-on position making it much more comfortable for you old timers. I can say that since I'm 67.75yrs. old.haha

You can search the modification section and find several options.

For me, all i did was move the foot pegs back 1" and 1.5", moved the oem clip-ons up level to the top of the forks (have to remove that little wire embedded in the groove on top of each fork leg, and pulled them back a little(had to grind off that little nub that prevents you from rotating the clip-ons). Beyond that, I moved the brake and clutch levers downward to match the angle of my arms going to the clip-ons. I use core strength in conjunction with the OEM shieldto hold myself and keep only minimal pressure on the clip-ons.

I'm only 5'8" so like i said, everyone's diff. Also, I raised the front end to the highest point and raised the rear by installing a JD modded F4I rear shock. So that gets you up an inch or two in terms of seat height and ground clearance.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Squid

Hey guys!

Looks like holding out just might have paid off. A local vintage guy has a 98 that hes willing to sell me at a great price, and i know the is in great shape, plus he would be throwing in a lot of extras. Hes a cool dude and he has some nice bikes, but he needs to liquidate the SH because he has the chance to pick up his dream bike.

Fingers crossed that I am going to be able to pick it up, and if I do, I might have to go live down south for the winter so I can drive it.

Croix
Old 10-11-2010, 04:17 AM
MotoGP

sounds like a wiener! Hope it materializes. We love our superhawks because they are great and balanced machine for enjoyable and spirited street riding, so get that succa quick!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Squid

lylesvegas is on a distinguished road
Cool! Be sure and post some pics as soon as you get it...And if your coming south come to Tennessee. Great weather this week.