General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New to Forum! Hello everybody!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
New to Forum! Hello everybody!

Hey everyone, as you can tell by my user name I currently ride a GSF400..

Been lurking on this site recently after discovering a very nice 98' VTR for sale in my area.
What I would like to know is if the color is actually a factory color as the guy claims to be, and not just a pretty, after down redo. And let me know what you think of the bike! (its a craigslist ad) click here

I was originally swinging towards a VFR800 circa 00'-01'...but then I found this jem and heard is start...was immediatly attracted to it...and as the guy claimed, it was very clean...hardly ridden...
Of course, I need an upgrade. Ive been riding the **** outta my little bandit (to keep up with my Uncle on his GS1200). I even melted a piston riding back from NC to PA and recently rebuilt the top end..you can check out that thread on banditalley BBS by clicky here

Im also over at civicforums.com...if you wanted to know how to replace your SRS module or rebuild your power steering pump LOL.

So yeah...Thanks for any input!!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
I don't remember this color made by Honda at any of the VTR years, this is not original to my opinion, But, it's done nicely and you have many extras that cost allot like the high mounts, unedrtail and etc... If you going to by for the color don't expect to find many originals for 98's.
As for the price, a little on the high side for 98, but then it does have very low miles too.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Yup its a colour we have in the UK a turquoise/blue colour scheme

Motorcycle Trade-Ins - 2002 Honda VTR 1000 FIRESTORM

Though can't see any decals on the bike so would presume it's more than likely a respray.

Last edited by Wicky; 01-05-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:47 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bandit400man
but then I found this jem and heard is start...
Sometimes that's all it takes to fall for this bike!

98's are all red, so that answers part of question #1. But yeah, I think Firestorms come in that color in other parts of the world:
Honda FIRESTORM VTR SPORTS COMMUTER | eBay

Lots of custom bits... it seems that the bike is in good shape from your description. Even though it's painted, that doesn't mean it hasn't been taken care of. For a bike that's 14 years old the way it looks and runs is the best that you have to go off of.

I'd try to talk him down a bit regardless.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
States it right in the ad
"Painted in Eurospec color Blue"
And as others noted, in the US, all 98's were made in the faster color..RED
Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I would check the body panels (inside and out) for repairs, check the crank case covers, foot pegs, etc for any signs of going down. It's not hard to fix damaged fairings, although he could have just preferred that color and had it painted.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Superstock

pigwings
Welcome.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Superstock

Thanks everyone for the input!!
I was also suspicious of the missing decals (although I dont miss them)...and that all 98's were red...
but as somebody else said, fairings are easy to fix and do nothing to value...I have to repaint my bandit before I sell it actually...
And I did try an check for evidence of a down (ends of bars, tips of exhaust, ect)...Ive been there and felt that AND fixed most of it...but there are tell tale clues remaining, regardless.
But on this bike I couldnt find any. Granted it was dark (curse the winter!)...maybe I should go back again with a flashlight...really check it over with a fine tooth comb.
And before I left he went down on price himself...LOL I checked KBB and it was only 2500...but my bandit according to KBB is worth only like...11-1200 or something but I plan to get at least 15-1600 for it cause of the fresh rebuild... Or just keep it! damn thing gets like +50mpg's.

So in the end...of course price will go down...its a good deal? safe bet?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
For what the true original colour of the bike ask the owner what the code is on the subframe nr the battery under the seat. Google that up and if there's a discrepancy with the claimed 'original' turquoise then you've got a bargaining chip. Though looking at it closely it looks like he's painted the subframe black. In that case you'll need to have a peek on the inside of the bodywork, seat hump or rear cowl or nr the panels by the radiators are the easiest to poke behind (with a mirror?).
Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 AM
aja
SuperSport

You can also see the underside of the tank while it is installed, just peek in above the upper frame rail. I would tell him you know that all 98s were red and there's no way that is the stock color, catching him on his own goof will give you another chip. Make sure you check that all the panels line up correctly, i got mine without mirrors and when I installed some I found out one of the mounting posts was bent, indicating a crash.

If all checks out, I would offer around 2800 and be comfortable paying around 3200
Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I don't think the guy said the color was original... he said it was re-painted a euro-spec blue (a stock color, not the stock color of this particular bike). In other words, he's probably being honest about it.

Judging by the powdercoated wheels, subframe, etc, the paint isn't just a cover-up. Even if it had initially been down, it appears from the pics and description that he's put it together correctly. Can't say really from the pics, but matching undertail, full exhaust system, and recent fluid changes are all bonuses. Dog, Daytona and what looks to be an old Hawk in the background- hard to say over the internets but he seems to have some good ingredients...
Old 01-05-2012, 02:19 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Banditboy, I see it's a PA ad, where ya from?

Another place to look for clues of a down, inspect the rads and their mounts real good. A simple tip over might have pushed something into the fins, leaving behind a mark.

If it wasn't so far away I'd give her a look. The posting looks good. I'd make an offer of 32 something and see how he reacts. I personally think the bike is worth what he's asking if it was a quality paint job. It has had carb work done, so you're not sure how well sorted that is. It's kinda cold to flog her now, especially with all the grit on the roads. AND ask about the cct's.

The VTR is an awesome bike, you won't regret owning one.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:50 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Welcome Bandit. I like this bike, and it seems like a fair price if all the claims and upgrades are valid. Good lookin ride. I love the superhawk. Have owned mine since 2000 and have never thought about selling it. That said, if you're **** about smooth and perfect, you might be better off with fuel injection. Carbureted twins are notoriously not the epitome of smoothness, and that may be part of the allure.

If you ride it, the torque and sound will resolve any reservations if you're anything like most of us here. Good hunting.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Superstock

Thanks guys, lots of good things I keep hearing.
I'm not to concerned about smoothness, after riding my ol bandit for so long...it has character an that's what I love.
I'm from the NE philly area...way north lol.
And I saw what was in the background, it was an SV 650...
Thanks for all the interest an help, folks! This seems to be a great community an IF I buy it, I'll for sure be back to post plenty of pics. An hopefully not a full top and rebuild LOL!
Keep the info comming!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 PM
aja
SuperSport

If you do buy it, change the ccts that day. You wouldn't beleive how many people (including myself) say "oh it will be fine for a while, ill get around to them when I can" then BOOM one fails within a week. If you are riding and you hear a loud and rapid slapping shut her down immediately and coast to the side of the road. That happened to me and I feel if I hadn't shut it down I would be rebuilding the head right now.

But like others said, you will love this bike. It's not the fastest. It's not the prettiest. But it will put the biggest smile on your face pulling away from newer FI bikes on a 14 year old hawk.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:48 PM
aja
SuperSport

Forgot to mention the r/r, that left me stranded as well so look into switching it out, there are too many threads on here about it.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Superstock

Yeah I read quite a few too, so I asked the guy bout it. He says when he took it in for service he had em check it an they claimed things were Aight so he didn't install the manual? Cct...another chip in my stack! Thanks for that!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:07 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yeah I read quite a few too, so I asked the guy bout it. He says when he took it in for service he had em check it an they claimed things were Aight so he didn't install the manual? Cct...another chip in my stack! Thanks for that!
Since there are no way of checking the CCT's except swapping them, and then disassembling the old one's for an outopsy, either he, or the mechanics where bullshitting... But that's a weak chip...
Old 01-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Superstock

Either way all good things to know...
Old 01-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Looks good. Sounds like a good buy with the add-ons. Very likely has been ridden pretty hard. They are not bad at all regarding vibration compared to some other big twin sport bikes I've ridden. Definitely keep your little Bandit if you have room. You never know when your new hawk (I assume you are going to buy it, lol) will need to be down for service. I like my Bandit, and to be fair, it's much more comfortable to me over a long distance. It'll be a good commuter bike while the SH is resting from hard weekend use.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:58 AM
aja
SuperSport

As far as commuting, I don't have any comfort problems riding 300+ miles other than the seat will start to numb your cheeks, but with stock clip ons it is still very comfortable.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Superstock

Rz racer, you say the bandit is more comfortable? Good god man! I go numb after about an hour...lucky for me I usually need gas then too, Lmfao!
And I'm actually going to go An check it out again today...really fine tooth comb it good with a flashlight and the knowledge you guys have provided me...
Again, thanks!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Rz racer, you say the bandit is more comfortable? Good god man! I go numb after about an hour...lucky for me I usually need gas then too, Lmfao!
And I'm actually going to go An check it out again today...really fine tooth comb it good with a flashlight and the knowledge you guys have provided me...
Again, thanks!
Lol, well we are talking about two different Bandits. The Bandit 600 is probably a bit softer edged than the Bandit 400 is/was. The riding position, though is much more relaxed, standard upright position, vs. the VTR's leaned over, knees up position. When I'm being a hooligan on the Bandit, I can scoot forward on the seat, to the tank, and sit bolt upright, almost a super-motard riding position. Makes it really easy to flip through traffic that way. And its seat is softer than the VTR's, although I put over 300 miles on the VTR this week, so it's not too bad, just a getting used to it issue. The biggest problem with the Bandit's riding position is you are too upright and act like a sail at anything over 70mph. Cruising around at 80-90 causes the neck muscles to get a workout with the stock screen. Now that I have my VTR, I'm going to be repurposing my Bandit as more of a long distance hauler, so I'll be adding a taller screen in the future.

Here's a quick run down the track I did last year on the Bandit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmWwl64dJkc
Old 01-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Superstock

Yeah the 600 is a lil bigger lol. An I just got back from the second check...NO evidence of contact with pavement. No cracks or unusualness on the insides of the fairings...rear brake pad tho...the inner pad was like...tilted outward in an akward looking position...asked about it an he could only say was that he used the rear brake the most? Ain't that backward?? But all in all a pretty well kept bike..an BTW he did admit to riding pretty hard, an verified by the tire wear- no chicken strips. Anything to check/adjust for like valve clearance knowing this?
Old 01-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

I would think that with only 12k miles, even if it was ridden hard all the time, it would barely be considered broken in. It looks like he took a lot of pride in the bike. And riding hard in the corners really doesn't wear anything but tires, as long as you stay upright.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:56 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
I would think that with only 12k miles, even if it was ridden hard all the time, it would barely be considered broken in. It looks like he took a lot of pride in the bike. And riding hard in the corners really doesn't wear anything but tires, as long as you stay upright.
+1, buy it already!
lol
Old 01-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Superstock

Well that's good to know...either way gotta think long an hard bout it cause its still a few hundred over blue book, AND more importantly, what most others in the same year are being offered for.
But all the interest is appreciated and yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards it. May check out an 02 vfr too just to solidify my choice...still gun shy bout the carbs..its freakin 2012 already LOL
Old 01-09-2012, 03:18 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Well that's good to know...either way gotta think long an hard bout it cause its still a few hundred over blue book, AND more importantly, what most others in the same year are being offered for.
But all the interest is appreciated and yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards it. May check out an 02 vfr too just to solidify my choice...still gun shy bout the carbs..its freakin 2012 already LOL
The link at the top of the thread now shows the bike SOLD?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Superstock

Hahaha yeah right, way to make me double check LOL
Old 01-09-2012, 05:15 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Lol, me too! I was sad for you. I got there and realized he was screwing with you. But there is some truth to it. Someone will buy that bike. It's set up very nice.

Quick Reply: New to Forum! Hello everybody!