General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New around here from Portugal

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:57 AM
Back Marker

luis saleiro is on a distinguished road
New around here from Portugal (looking for naked mod advice)

Hi guys,
I´m new around here. I discover this forum while i was doing a search for turning my VTR into a naked one.
I´m getting old and the bike is too hard to ride
( a true beast ), so í´m thinking naked with a fat bar.
Maybe you could help me with the search, i dont seem to fid exactly what i´m looking for.
My VTR as it is: (not the better ones, but they´re the available now...)

Back here it´s called Fire Storm, my fiends call it Thunder Storm, because the noise is too loud.
Sorry about my english

Last edited by luis saleiro; 03-26-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:23 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Welcome, Boa Vinda

Very nice looking Thunder Storm you have. I like how the exhaust is moved in. I also like the mirrors, painted to match the bike.

Please do not apologize for you english. I do not know any Portuguese.

Erik
Old 03-24-2010, 04:41 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard luis. Glad you found us. Now, what's this crap about getting old, too hard to ride. That's bullshit, maybe your just an old pervert who wants to ride naked. hahaha........ I've done this once myself in a rainstorm, daylight, Houston, TX(we'll i did have white turned transparent jockey type on, but nothing else----quite a liberating experience). Quite a contrast to ATGATT.hahahaha

Seriously, how old and what is your difficulty in handling this beast. Many here have done ergonomic alterations that seem to suit them. I'm 67 and have pegs back 1" and up 1.5" and pulled the bars back till they touch the tank at full tilt. No weight on wrists/clip-ons, but probably not the best mods for the most relaxed riding position, but works for me.

Nakeds are cool in their own right and may satisfy your needs, but you need to get more specific. Good lookin ride luis.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:08 AM
Back Marker

Thanks guys,
This 97 beast is now 40.000 kms (dont know how many miles it is) and only rides in urban circuit for 7 years now, so it give a lot of rist and neck pains (i´m a tall guy).
My idea is to go naked but still reverse to original if needed, cause sometimes life changes.
Dont want to cut or destroy anything original.
So i´m thinking on keeping the instrument-panel (is that right?), mounting a fat bar, a head light and remove the plastics. Just as simple as that.
It might turned out to be a very fun-bike to ride.
My doubht is the head-light. I want a nice one who goes ok with the panel, but i´m short on images to get ideas.

PS: 67 years old and a Super Hawk?
Ridding naked?
Man thats a lot of madness!!!
A rider spirit!

Last edited by luis saleiro; 03-24-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Luis

You might try some handlebar risers or a different set of clip ons to ease your wrist and neck strain. Great spirit and keep going there! What part of Portugal do you live in? I spent a few days out on Terceira Island a few weeks ago, it was super windy!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Back Marker

RWhinsen

Could ou please explain to me what is handlebar risers, and what do you mean by "different set of clip ons"?
Preferently with images please.
Sorry to ask you for this, but my technical english is very bad, and i don´t know what you mean by that.
I want to be sure of all the possibilities before getting to work.

You know more than me, i´ve never been to Terceira.
I heard there was bad wheather few weeks ago, maybe you get some of it...
I´m near Lisbon, the capital.
We dont have many VTRs here, mine is almost the only one around.
Everybody knows when i go out on my bike. They hear it!

People still mistaken and buy CBRs, GSXRs, R1s and bikes like those...
Old 03-24-2010, 06:21 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Luis

I have never tried these but they are an option. They raise your bars up, according to the ad 3/4 of an inch, using the stock bars.

http://www.1tail.com/GenMar/Handleba...-_H116/703357/

Clip ons would be a different set of handlebars for your bike. There are quite a few here who have changed them.

http://www.mxsouth.com/street/heliba...r1000-9705.htm

One thing to watch for is that when changing your bars, some require you to trim the inside of your fairing a bit to maintain clearance.

Don't apologize for your english, there are a few who could take lessons from you!

Last edited by RWhisen; 03-24-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum! Helibars are also an option to increase comfort, I have them on my '02 and they made a difference in back/wrist comfort.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:54 AM
MotoGP

i'm not sure what you mean by "urban circuit"(all city riding?). I know that others have complained about wrist pain and I have to say that there is something that should be done with your ergonomic set up. Higher/diff angled bars, revised footpegs, etc. I know one thing for sure.........it's not good to have weight or tension on the clip-ons if you expect to have control and finesse relative to the clutch, throttle, brakes , suspension and steering. You need to set your ergos up to suit your body so that you're in a relaxed position with soft hands on the controls. If you don't alter your ergos, you'll need to use core and leg strength to hold your back erect instead of relying on your arms/wrists.

The other thing i noticed when I went back to the OEM windsheild as compared with the higher sheild like you have. Airflow comes over the OEM sheild in a way that it significantly supports your body, even at relatively low speeds. I'm glad my double bubble cracked and i put my old one back on temporarily, now permanent.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:21 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Welcome!
You might check out VFR clipons also. Probably easier to get and certainly cheaper used.
Many years ago (1987) spent the summer on the beach in Portugal. Most of time in Peniche, a few days up in Porto, a week or so in Lisboa and then then a week down in the Alrgarve with the Brits. Beautiful country, I'd love to go back
Good luck on the project
Old 03-24-2010, 07:29 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
people have mounted super bars on fully fared hawks like superbling did. No need to go naked if you like it with the bodywork.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ght=super+bars
Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 AM
SuperBike

Luis,

These are clip-ons. Taller than stock and in the Classifieds section of this forum, they are for sale.

These would allow you to sit-up more and take the pressure off of your wrists.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=21927

Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Back Marker

RWhinsen
Thank you for the work in explain. Most clearfull.
They´re good options.

Rick B
Helibars hein... I´ll check on them, Thank you.

Nath981
I´m lucky to work at 2 km from home, and the road is a bit crossed (if i can explain myself), very city-riding with lots of semaphors.
Plus, i have a crush on naked bikes. I used to have a CB, and i miss her.
Thank for the explanation on ergos.

Stevebis1
I´ll check on VFRs clipons also, thank you.
I know Peniche very well, i used to spearfishing there, and i have a house in Algarve, were i spearfish now once a month.
Thank you.

ConrandP
(Man, you guys have to write more espacious, i cant catch up with you...)
Very clean and nice job on that.
Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:10 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Welcome!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Back Marker

Thanks Erik S, you write faster than me.
Good images to learn about clip-ons, very good indeed.

Thank you too lazn.

Are you all from the States?
I had no idea that there was so many people there with this bike.
I´m enjoing this forum very much.
Well, after seeing several pictures of your bikes and others in the net, i´ve decided to use a Pro Taper fat bar, they´re a bit expensive but they´re awesome.
I´m going naked on my VTR!
I recon the dificult decision is the headlight, the instrument panel and the 2 turn side lamps (do you understand what i´ve just wrote?).
But i´m hopping this will come to me after going naked with the fat bar.

By the way, i´m thinking in replace the front oil tubes, any sugestions or advices? They´re most welcome too.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:33 AM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
But i´m hopping this will come to me after going naked with the fat bar.[/quote]

Old 03-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
[quote=luis saleiro;259025]
My idea is to go naked
My doubht is the head-light. I want a nice one who goes ok with the panel, but i´m short on images to get ideas.

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails New around here from Portugal-dsc_0016.jpg   New around here from Portugal-firestorms0297.jpg   New around here from Portugal-mixedup23feb303.jpg   New around here from Portugal-dscn0205.jpg  
Old 03-25-2010, 06:37 AM
SuperBike

Luis,

No, we are not all from the United States. We have many members from Australia, a few from Italy, many from the United Kingdom, I think one or two from Spain, a bunch from Canada, and I am sure from some places that I have forgotten.

If you search for SUPERBIKE BARS, you will find a few threads about putting Pro Taper or similar bars on the SuperHawk.

There are many threads about RC51 (VTR1000 SP1/SP2) and Fireblade (CBR954RR) front end conversions and which parts to use. These are the easiest since they are all honda parts.

I recently used 2004 GSX-600R front oil tubes on mine, and used Pro Taper Contour handlebars, they are 1 1/8" in diameter. I have not posted pictures yet, but will soon. I paid less then 100 USD for the handlebar clamps and handlebars, both are Pro Taper.

KaiJu wrote that he used XR650F nameplate mounts for his headlight, and they attach to the Oil tubes.
Keep asking questions, someone will point you in the correct direction.

Try searches for STREETFIGHTER, NAKED

Erik

Edit: Luis, here is a current thread, asking some of the very same questions that you have, and has quite a few good answers. (hondavtr1000sp2 )

Last edited by Erik S.; 03-25-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Bem-vindo, Luis.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Back Marker

So far this one is the front i like the most.
Can anyone tell if it has the stock cluster? It´s too tide for it, isn´it?

Thank´s for the pictures.
You´ll have to give a discount on my english man, i´m not use to write or speak in it.
But i´m getting the hang on it

Thanks for the tips Erik S, they´ll save a lot of time.
How is your bike now after the pro taper bar? Can you describe how it handles?
Can you speed up the pictures of yours please?
I can´t wait to try on mine...
I think i´ll get a hard time to keep the front weel on the ground.

Obrigado nekkid, não se fala português no Hawaii pá, de onde és?
Old 03-25-2010, 08:15 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Welcome Luis, I am half Portuguese! But don't ask me to speak any of the language... My grandparents hardly spoke it once they passed through Ellis Island.

Anyway, I am working on a quarter-fairing idea using the stock bodywork specifically, the headlight, windshield, and a cutoff portion of the left and right front fairings and retaining the stock cluster. I suffered a minor low-side and damaged the left fairing, but after using zip-ties to ride the bike around with the headlight still in the stock position like the guy in the first photo, I installed the broken piece on the left side just to see what it would look like, I found it looked pretty nice! I will post more info once I get it all painted up and mounted, but the quarter-fairing on the Norton racer in the second picture was the basis for the idea...

Hope my post isn't too confusing.
Attached Thumbnails New around here from Portugal-2006_10_09_bikepics-697692-800.jpg   New around here from Portugal-norton_caferacer_st1mz.jpg  
Old 03-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Eu nao falam portugues mas muitas pessoas no Havai fazer.

My brother in law speaks a little.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Back Marker

Not at all supermarto, i understand very well.
Now that´s an idea i haven´t seen yet with a Superhawk. lets us see it when it´s finished ok?

People say it´s a dificult language to learn nekkid, i recon it has something to do with the latin in it. But you´re managing quite well.

After some searching, i find my bigger problem is the price of de dual headlight with the screen. Around 180/200€, and that´s a bit of the budjet.
Furthermore, the offer is very limite in europe, and shipping costs from the states are hight.
Damm this!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:47 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Welcome.

You seem to be on the right track with getting the information you need. One thing you have not mentioned is the radiators. If you are going to convert to a naked bike you should convert the bike to a front mounted radiator, like the red bike in the picture you put up here.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:55 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by shayne
Welcome.

You seem to be on the right track with getting the information you need. One thing you have not mentioned is the radiators. If you are going to convert to a naked bike you should convert the bike to a front mounted radiator, like the red bike in the picture you put up here.
Thank you shane,
It´s not in my plans, cause i´m doing it reversible and that´s not compatible, not easily anyway.
Those double radiators have been a stone i my shoe since i started to think in this mod, but i decided to keep them for now.
I have a lot of doubts about a since radiator making the same eficient job as the double stock ones.
Can anybody tell me if it´s eficient as stock?

Mines where clean and refil again 3 weeks ago. The bike started to run a bit hother than usual and i discover that the liquid turned into thick mud.
A real mess.

Maybe i´ll change the title of this thread, it´s turning into a naked advisory, and it might be usefull to research for other users with similar ideas.
I´m going to try to edit it.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:21 AM
MotoGP

If you're doing the urban thing as you put it, city driving with a lot of idling in hot weather, going to a single radiator might not be a good idea unless it is a little wider, with two small fans, manually controlled to prevent heat from building in traffic.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by nath981
If you're doing the urban thing as you put it, city driving with a lot of idling in hot weather, going to a single radiator might not be a good idea unless it is a little wider, with two small fans, manually controlled to prevent heat from building in traffic.
This is a very usefull and important infomation nath981, it tell me not to convert my byke to a front mounted radiator.
The weather here is very hot in summer and the circuit is very cityfull with a lot of trafic and semaphores.
I wont take the risk of troubles with hight temperatures.
Thank´s for sharing.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:27 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by luis saleiro
This is a very usefull and important infomation nath981, it tell me not to convert my byke to a front mounted radiator.
The weather here is very hot in summer and the circuit is very cityfull with a lot of trafic and semaphores.
I wont take the risk of troubles with hight temperatures.
Thank´s for sharing.
you're welcome. The reason I said that the radiator would need to be only a little wider instead of the same width as the two you remove is because if it's facing into the airflow, it will cool better. In terms of heat, if you use high quality oil that resists thermal breakdown, you can get away very well with running higher temperatures with good results in terms of performance and fuel efficiency, but the fact that your sitting on top of the motor in hot weather, I would not be that interested in any minor ancillary benefits so that you can be singing "great ***** of fire" at every signal light.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
You will be ok to use the side radiators, but understand that they were designed to work best with the fairings to direct air through them. I suspect that you will run hotter.
There are calculations available on the internet that will tell you the size of radiator required - e.g. Suzuki SV1000 radiator matches up.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Back Marker

Thaks guys, i´ll keep you posted on the developments.
Now it´s time to glue myself on ebay to look for the double headlights and to work on the fat bar ajustments.

Quick Reply: New around here from Portugal