General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Need a good mechanic in NH...

Old 04-22-2014, 03:54 PM
Squid

emorrison1972 is on a distinguished road
Need a good mechanic in NH...

I traded for a 1998 Superhawk at the end of last season and put about 120 miles on it. It has had slip-ons installed and allegedly a jet kit installed, however there is hesitation on acceleration and some throaty back firing on de-cell too... I am mechanically inclined and have dealt with jetting on atvs and sleds, but never had any experience with v-twin 996 honda's. Therefore I am looking to find a tech in southern NH preferably, to "tune" this bike. I absolutely love this thing and it sounds great, I am confident with a little tinkering it will sound and ride even better... So to all my NH and Massachusetts VTR owners who would you recommend and what am I looking at for cost to tune this thing? Thanks!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
What area of southern NH? Also, You say that you've jetted carbs before on other vehicles. There is lots of information on jetting Superhawks on this forum that will direct you on best practices to get your bike running better yourself. That said, I live in the Milford area and use Souhegan Valley Motorsports right in Milford to do any work on my hawk I cannot or don't want to do. Ask for Sean.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:15 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Before you go and spend time and money, check the air filter condition and if it is aftermarket, these bikes are very finicky with aftermarket air filters, unless it was tuned by a real pro' that knows these bikes really well, most mechanics unfortunately don't!
The VTR runs better with the stock filter even after a stage 2 jet kit and exhaust was installed.
As mentioned, there is a great deal of info here to tune the bike correctly.

Cheers and welcome to the forum

Last edited by NHSH; 04-22-2014 at 08:20 PM.