General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Mythbusters - Buckshot in the handlebars to reduce vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:28 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Mythbusters - Buckshot in the handlebars to reduce vibration

Has anyone experimented with putting buckshot in the handlebars to reduce vibration? If so, what have you had the most success with?

My bike doesn't have the anti vibration system installed in the clip ons, and i am looking for inexpensive alternatives to buying the honda parts.

Please post your method, and the results.

Thanks!
James
Old 06-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thedeatons
Has anyone experimented with putting buckshot in the handlebars to reduce vibration? If so, what have you had the most success with?

My bike doesn't have the anti vibration system installed in the clip ons, and i am looking for inexpensive alternatives to buying the honda parts.

Please post your method, and the results.

Thanks!
James
Old lead sinkers, a heavy lead or steel bar end, anything that adds weight to the bars will dull the vibration some. Really the bars still vibrate but different weights will vibrate at different frequencys so its finding the right frequency that doesn't bother you. Everyone is sensitive to different vibrations
Old 06-17-2014, 06:14 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Custom Tungsten end weights turned and installed using polymer isolators scavenged from Kawasaki Ninja 650 end weights is what i use.

Never tried stuffing my Apex bars with lead shot of sinkers.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:47 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

How much for some tungsten and polymer?

I was praying about this tonight, asking for wisdom... I felt lead to search some other forums. I saw that someone mentioned buying lead weights at a dive shop, then I remembered my wife had a lead filled contraption to strap onto her leg so she could do exercises.... She hasn't used it for years, so I asked if I could have two of the weights.

It took forever to cut through them with my cut off wheel, but I did it. When I was done I poured water over them, and the water boiled... lol.

I cut them to exact fit, so they squished between the inside end of the clip on, and the bar end weight.

I took it around the block and it felt quite different!

I'll give a full ride report in the next couple weeks. FREEBIE!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Mythbusters - Buckshot in the handlebars to reduce vibration-photo-3.jpg   Mythbusters - Buckshot in the handlebars to reduce vibration-photo-4.jpg   Mythbusters - Buckshot in the handlebars to reduce vibration-photo-1.jpg   Mythbusters - Buckshot in the handlebars to reduce vibration-photo-2.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 08:09 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Judging by the look and size of the lead bars, no wonder she stopped using those as weights.

I kid, I kid
Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

The blue thing is pretty heavy! I wouldn't wear it

Looks like i have enough leftover for the next 5 bikes i own!!!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:21 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So now, put that lead in her old fying pan and melt it. Then dump the molten lead into a nice 1.5" length of pipe & let it cool.

Drill a hole, and bolt it where your bar ends are (get the right thread bolt)

I did this when my commute was just under 900 miles/week. Man did I love that setup.

Just dont expect it to survive a crash.

I used some chrome pipe, maybe from an old vacuum or similar. Looked pretty trick.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:23 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Here is another quick and cheap mod:

Other than the heavy weights, another thing that I found helped significantly, I replaced the rubber grips with soft handle grips, I cut couple to size from an old workout equipment grips.
The soft grips work amazingly well, much less vibrations and buzzing, you just have to get use to the softness of the grips, I even got the heating elements to work with these grips for cold winter rides, just takes a minute longer to heat up, but well worth it.

Just my two cents :-)
Old 06-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
I'm with NHSH, I've got super soft an squishy grips and I wear gloves with that gel stuff in the palms...huge difference over harder rubber/no gloves.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
I have used Renthal Mx Diamond Medium grips for the past few years on every bike I've owned. They are thin, tacky and durable and have never had an issue with my hands on any bike. Loosen up your grip on the bars. How do you hold your grips? I only hold the end of the grip, no more than the first 2 fingers and thumb on the grips. Hold it like a screwdriver with your finger tips, not like your trying to squeeze it to death.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

No offense intended, but i've been riding for over 30 years. I totally understand how to hold the grips. My experience has also shown me that this bike vibrates more than my other bikes, for whatever reason... Like i said, i don't have the oem vibration reducers installed in the clip ons.

It rained today, so i have nothing to report.

James
Old 06-19-2014, 04:06 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
I've experimented lead shot on another bike and couldn't tell the difference. you may be gripping the bars too tight or try adjusting the clip on angle.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:51 AM
SuperBike

I don't think that gripping too hard is the issue, that may help a bit, though I'm sure allot of the riders here have years of experience already, I personally ride for 26 years and ride off road as well, I hold the grips lightly (kinda have to master that in off road riding against your instinct), but you can still feel the vibrations on the SH more than inline fours, it's just the nature of the engine.

The idea here is either defusing the vibrations frequencies or using some sort of buffering between the front end and your hands.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:18 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

The last post is exactly right...

James
Old 06-19-2014, 07:17 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thedeatons
How much for some tungsten and polymer?
Anti vibration isolaters= FREE (take off from a bike at the shop, customer wanted some red aluminum bling and left the OEM ones for trash)

Tungsten was left over scrap form another project = So free as the previous customer paid for the materiel in whole

Machining time = well Im worth something but not much

Attachment fasteners and split locking pieces = a buck for two socket head cap screws and penny's for a few inches of 1/2 aluminum round bar machined
Old 06-19-2014, 07:56 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by bmidd
I have used Renthal Mx Diamond Medium grips for the past few years on every bike I've owned. They are thin, tacky and durable and have never had an issue with my hands on any bike. Loosen up your grip on the bars. How do you hold your grips? I only hold the end of the grip, no more than the first 2 fingers and thumb on the grips. Hold it like a screwdriver with your finger tips, not like your trying to squeeze it to death.
Brian, I catch myself squeezing at times. Thats a good tip! I've been riding since single digits and still need to brush up on things. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
No offense taken, until you know someone, you have no idea of their skill level of experience. Just trying to be helpful and share what took me years to figure out.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Squid

ChikinLady1011 is on a distinguished road
I had OEM bar ends on and my right thumb, index, and middle finger would go numb cruising at 3500-4000 rpms very quickly. I have since replaced them with speedmetal ends, new weight, and a giant rubber bushing jammed inside and it is greatly improved. $15 and I can feel my hand again!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
When my friend was racing HD XR750's on the mile dirt tracks and weight was an issue because the bikes were put on the scales at least 3 times a night and 4 or more times if you placed one of the tricks used to ease the vibration on the hands was to inject black silicone RTV sealant into the bars.

In theory it was suppose to dampen the vibration by making the hollow aluminum bars solid.

When the RTV hardened it had the density and feel of car tire rubber and it takes a good week to fully set up so it's something you can't do and go riding later that day!

SIRR1
Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Thanks for all the comments! Sorry for lashing out and getting offended. Sometimes it is difficult to understand what a person is intending to say when reading someone else's text.

Thank you for all the positive comments!

James
Old 06-20-2014, 10:12 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by SIRR1
When my friend was racing HD XR750's on the mile dirt tracks and weight was an issue because the bikes were put on the scales at least 3 times a night and 4 or more times if you placed one of the tricks used to ease the vibration on the hands was to inject black silicone RTV sealant into the bars.

In theory it was suppose to dampen the vibration by making the hollow aluminum bars solid.

When the RTV hardened it had the density and feel of car tire rubber and it takes a good week to fully set up so it's something you can't do and go riding later that day!

SIRR1
Never would have thought of this, awesome tip thanks!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:27 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

I figured out the reason for the vibration on my bike... The front tire had a hop in it. Right before removing the front wheel to have new tires put on i spun the tire and while staring at it i noticed this up and down wobble (hop).... The tire was totally shot!

New tires put on now. Did 85 miles the other day and i felt great!!!!!

Also installed new steering head bearings which may have helped...

James
Old 03-18-2015, 10:48 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
I have a tremor. Kinda like Parkinsons, but its not going to kill me.

Ive worked out I vibrate at the same frequency as my Hawk.

Happy days......
Old 03-18-2015, 02:49 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Better stay 180 out of phase with the bike or ****'s gonna get real.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:51 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is a quick tip...........Get a steel or brass bar that is slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the bar. approx. 8" in length. wrap both ends with rubberized electrical tape so it fits snuggle in the THROTTLE side. This will remove 90% of the vibration.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:44 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Just wanted to update this thread.

Last year i tried diver's weights in the bars. Small sticks of lead that i cut to length, then reinstalled the aluminum wedge-style bar ends. It worked okay, was a little better.

This winter i got ahold of original Superhawk internal bar weights. I bought new rubber and clips for them, then i bought black Lucky Bike bar end weights that are much heavier than stock.

Today I went for a 95 mile group rode and my hands didn't go numb!!!! Super excited!

James
Old 03-26-2016, 09:29 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
I changed to Renthals and dont seem to get vibs. Just plastic plugs in them.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:48 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Ex-military depleted uranium works a treat!
Old 03-29-2016, 06:13 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Wicky
Ex-military depleted uranium works a treat!
Nuclear VTR
Old 03-29-2016, 07:15 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH
Nuclear VTR
You'll need a Superhawk dosimeter

Quick Reply: Mythbusters - Buckshot in the handlebars to reduce vibration