General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

My name is Scott, and I am a squid.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 03:54 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
My name is Scott, and I am a squid.

Monday night I went out on my first group ride (10 people. 3 VTR’s, R1, ZX10R, R6, F4, etc.). Quickly the group breaks into fast and faster people. I’m feeling slightly nervous but still comfortable.

We head up the twisties to a small logging town and have a burger. At the beginning on the way back my experienced buddy on his little SV650, by chance, ended up at the front of the pack. I know whats going through his head as he hits the gas hard and begins to pull away. The fastest guy on a yellow VTR and a guy on a black one, who always HAD to be 2nd for some reason, put the spurs to it to close the gap. Now I’m in the middle with the slower people dropping behind and my buddy and two others ahead, getting smaller. So I decide to try and catch up if I can, within reason. Scratch that, we are riding beyond reason. After very focused concentration I pass my buddy who gave up the lead long before. I can see the leader here and there around corners and my goal is to at least be in his mirrors.

All is going well. IMO I haven’t exceeded my skill level. Then the road tightens up to a two lane twisty, left side a lake with a barrier and a cliff wall on the right, falling rock signs, dents in the road, frost heaves, yadda yadda. The pace hasn’t slowed and I’m catching up. A long left comes up and I lean it over. I’m leaning as far as I’ve ever leant and cringing expecting the pegs to scrape but it still isn’t far enough because I’m starting to run wide, starring at the cliff. Nothing to do but lean it over more so I do which isn't easy for me. Then as I’m halfway through this corner, at this improbable angle, going about 120kms, I hit a dip in the road that would hold a 4” puddle in the wet. The bike ate it and carried me through.

What a fool I am. I walked right into the trap that has claimed so many. The entire time I’m telling myself, “I can handle this”, “Still within my limits”. Ya, sure, fine, till the environment hands me something unexpected.

The next night I log onto the local forum and what do I see? A massive flame war going on between track racers and street speed freaks. The basis being that the street is no place to go fast and that if you don’t care about killing yourself and what that will do to you friends and family but that you might take out that ignorant squid trying to keep up with you.

That was Monday, Tuesday night I tried, but gave up following, a guy doubling some girl down a paved, twisty, GRAVELY, active logging road. At the end I meet them and they say, “We gotta get back or our kids will be wondering where we are.”
Old 05-12-2005, 04:32 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Re: My name is Scott, and I am a squid.

Glad nothing happened. Most of the time, the bike can handle a lot more than we (mentally) can bring ourselves to ask it. This seems to have been one of those times for you.

Trying to keep up or catch up to those who "choose" to go too fast on public roads is really a bad idea. I say "choose", because most of the time it is not my limited abilities that is holding me back from going faster on local twisties, most of the time I can go 20-25 mph faster through certain turns, but I simply "choose" not to. A road that I was on even a few hours ago could be drastically different now, and my goal, is to go back home at the end of the day, without harming myself or my property.

Anyone can crack open the throttle and lean the bike further. However, only those who choose to take the risk are mostly the ones that end up eating it.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:27 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like Target fixation to me, since you were looking at the cliff. It is a mistake that is hard to avoid. Almost crashed a couple of times because of target fixation. Glad you are ok.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
glad to hear you made it home safe - except for the stain in your shorts. Ha,ha!!

Seriously though, does sound to me like target fixation, otherwise you would have seen the pothole coming up.

It happens to eveybody though - just a lesson learned.

Glad your ok!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:11 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Two things would have kept me slow: night and an unfamiliar road.

What happened with you is you picked up the pace and stopped having fun. Why do that?
Old 05-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Ran mine off in a field about a month+ ago trying to catch some guys who were riding way too fast. I was beyond my limit that day, and am just glad it was plowed instead of planted with corn. Needless to say I've slowed down since.

I would have been out with the same group last Sunday had I not been cleaning the house so we can sell the place, and that day somebody did eat it. He's in the hospital and we're waiting to hear if he's going to be able to feel/use his legs again. I like going fast too much to quit riding, which means I've got to get some track time... just too many stupid people and variables involved on the street. I could go fast, but like superbling said, why go fast if it isn't fun?

-Jim
Old 05-13-2005, 10:16 AM
SuperSport

Thinking back, your right, it was target fixation and I was riding over my head although I didn't realize it until something bad happened.

I'm just ashamed that it happened so easily to me when I know the horrible risk. I'm also ashamed that I can't stop thinking about the guy on the R1 who did a 1' high power wheelie burnout about a block long as easy as pie. After watching the guy ride I am left with the impression that the R1 is not so much a motorcycle but a massive rear wheel with a motor on it. Still, it looks dam uncomfortable.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:51 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point

target fixation was the major factor in my only road crash. actually I managed to stay on unitl I was off the road. its very hard to ignore what's about to hit you and concentrate on the things you need to do to keep from hitting it. just keep your eyes on the road(where you WANT to go), and stay on the gas.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:14 AM
SuperSport

It nearly happened to me again this weekend. Going around a tight corner I found myself staring at the gravel on the edge creeping closer to me.

It was a big ride for breast cancer with 111 riders (got some cool pics) and I was riding with a group of 6 very experienced riders. At one point I just had to let em go. There was an older guy who was an ex-racer on a '72 BMW 57\5 that no one could touch except on the straights and passing traffic. Very cool to see. First time I've seen such a great example of 90% rider/10% bike.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:03 AM
SuperSport

Riders are dropping like flies in these parts. The local forums are so filled with RIP threads that people are complaining to put them in a special section so they don't have to see them all.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend

I nearly soiled my shorts just reading that! I've been there. Remember, when playing "catch up" you're travelling faster than the leaders who are more experienced and already running at top pace....just try it on Superbike or MotoGP video games and the same thing happens...oops! Sounds like you already know this, so what works for me is to do "fun runs" with 4 or 5 people I know well and save the "spirited" riding for solo pursuits - that way YOU are in control of speed and surroundings. Just what my experience has taught me. Thanks for the post - great to hear it.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Superstock

mikecronis

Night AND unfamiliar road? Yeesh! Looks like you learned against peer pressure after that though, so lesson learned for ya. Glad you're okay!

I like to ride I-119 and Rt.6 to BlackHawk from Denver which has about fifty 35mph turns in it. I can comfortably do double that because I know the road as I've done it dozens of times. Same cliff / water setup (though it's a rapid on the left, not a lake). Sometimes I go slower just for the scenery. Nuthin' wrong with that. Night I'd probably take it back to about 50 mph, as well as the first time I rode it, which is 10-15mph over. Fun, comfortable, and only -slightly- edgy. The SHawk's front tire doesn't like medium-sized rocks in the road in a turn I discovered as it squirmed on me once in a good lean.

I meet all kinds of riders and some are just crazy, like 145mph in a 30mph. Pretty hardcore and quite possibly "not all there" in the head. Even knowing the road by heart 115 over the limit is a bit too edgy for me.

Everyone's got their limits. It's good to push it a little every other day or two such that you can improve. Track days are SUPER GREAT for this, especially if you get pointers during and afterwards.

But for the love of all that is holy, WEAR YOUR GEAR! :wink:

PS Glad you survived. Maybe you can meet some less inane ridin' buddies? Mushy gravel-tailin' is fun and all but...
Old 06-05-2005, 10:10 PM
SuperSport

Thanks for the feedback and kind replies. Truth is, I thought I was a good rider having had my class 6 since for like 26 years, a fair amount of dirt experience, advanced safety classes and even a courier in the big city for 2.5 years to get traffic savy. The last month has taught me I have a lot to learn. I've seen these crazy people and its absolutely omfg