General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Moving SH in 16-Foot Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:18 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Moving SH in 16-Foot Truck?

Hi guys,

I'll be moving back to Maine from North Carolina in two weeks. (Long story, but it's not very interesting.) We're going to try to move everything in a 16-foot Budget truck and the Camry. So my concerns are:

1) Securing the bike in the front part of the truck: Should I make some wheel stops, try to turn the bike in the truck, or do something else.

2) Keeping the rest of our stuff from crushing the SH: I was thinking I'd put the bike in first, then load behind it, but I'm afraid that when I stop all our belongings will fall on the bike.

Does anyone have experience moving a bike in a box truck like this? The truck has eyelets at the bottom to secure the bike and wooden runners on the sides that I could conceivable use in some way. It also has a good ramp for me to drive the bike up.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Randy
Old 12-05-2009, 10:28 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I toss my dual sport in the back of my Avalanche and previous trucks quite often, I find using 4 straps to the 4 bed hooks keeps it nicely in place - I also use a strap with loops at each end similar to these: (http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...afCatId=&mmyId= ) to go around the handle bars/triple tree and rear frame so there is nothing to scratch the bike. The front wheel stays tight against the back of the bed/cab. With it secured in 4 corners and the shocks halfway compressed it doesn't move even after traveling over some very rough country roads.

Hope that helps

Originally Posted by Crashrat
Hi guys,

I'll be moving back to Maine from North Carolina in two weeks. (Long story, but it's not very interesting.) We're going to try to move everything in a 16-foot Budget truck and the Camry. So my concerns are:

1) Securing the bike in the front part of the truck: Should I make some wheel stops, try to turn the bike in the truck, or do something else.

2) Keeping the rest of our stuff from crushing the SH: I was thinking I'd put the bike in first, then load behind it, but I'm afraid that when I stop all our belongings will fall on the bike.

Does anyone have experience moving a bike in a box truck like this? The truck has eyelets at the bottom to secure the bike and wooden runners on the sides that I could conceivable use in some way. It also has a good ramp for me to drive the bike up.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Randy
Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Crappy time of year to be moving back to Maine. Where are you going to end up at?
I grew up in a small town called Stillwater. It is about 10 miles from Bangor.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Rick, he's talking about a cubevan / moving truck, not a pickup truck. I've transported bikes in moving trucks before, but never with any cargo along. I think your best bet is to put it in the front and load around it carefully. If you have a couch you could push that to the back of the 'Hawk to block other heaving things from sliding into it.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
I actualy just did this from TX to Dc. what we did was load our couch on the side of the truck first then used a cutting board to crate somethign the tire could mark and I wouldn't care then using my swing arm stand straped the bike down to the stand. we put our bed between the side of the truck and the bike and used a canyon dancer to pull the front of the bike towards the side of the truck and staped the back around the subframe toward the back of the truck. I had a 28 foot truck and 2 bikes so we didn't have to stack things over the top of the bike. but we put our other mattress on the other side of the bike just in case.

on a whole other note. if you call penske they will try to match the price you get from buget. there trucks are newer and cleaner. plus if your looking at the bigger ones having a diesel truck makes going up hill easy. we looked at both and penske was way better once we got them to match the out the door price.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
I moved my SH from DC to Wisconsin and did this; I used a 2x4 some steel eyelets threaded into is and then screwed the 2x4 to the floor of the truck with several long sheet metal screws and used tiedown straps to the eyelets, I packed the couch cushions around the bike and did the rest as normal. The bike was totally secure and since the floor of these trucks is usually wood there weren't any visible marks left over (you're not supposed to move motorcycles in rental trucks, at least that was Uhaul's policy).
Old 12-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
Hey Randy,

I picked up my VTR last month in a cube van. Ran the bike straight in up to front firewall. Leave it as you pushed it in - no angles. Put it in gear. Tie down wrapped from front left, around the frame under the back of the gas tank, back down left and fix to the tie down hook in the van. Ratchet the tie down. Repeat other side. Bike never moved. Be careful putting anything close to the bike coz it will for sure damage the plastics / paint if it rubs.

Hope this helps, let us know when you get to Maine and good luck....J
Old 12-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Squid

mattmcgyver is on a distinguished road
I've done this kind of thing with other equipment. Tie the SH in and then rough a crate around it using 3/8 plywood and 1x4"s nothing fancy just enough to keep stuff from falling against the fragile bits...

Why is everyone leaving NC for Maine this month? I have a friend leaving Seabord for Biddeford next weekend.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:35 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
we move them all the time in my bus. I made some wheel chocks and they work great. something like the condor, but I made them with my students. I have extra, but they prob wouldn't ship nice.
Attached Thumbnails Moving SH in 16-Foot Truck?-bus2.jpg  
Old 12-05-2009, 06:28 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Yes I know its a moving truck but he mentioned eyelets and such to anchor it to which will accomplish the same goals if done properly... Use your other soft items to protect it as others suggested and make sure everything is secure. I have seen it done a few times as I suggested in a few different moving trucks and it worked great.

Originally Posted by Syclone
Rick, he's talking about a cubevan / moving truck, not a pickup truck. I've transported bikes in moving trucks before, but never with any cargo along. I think your best bet is to put it in the front and load around it carefully. If you have a couch you could push that to the back of the 'Hawk to block other heaving things from sliding into it.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:25 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a boxvan(E350 w/14' box) that I use for my Dirtbike School. I have Pingle Wheel Chock brackets mounted on the floor for when I haul my SH. But like others mentioned, I would make a front wheel stop out of 2x4's secured with wood screws into the floor and use soft ties and/or Caynon Dancer(wears out handgrips but doesn't damage fairings) to strap it down. With the 2x4's; (cut for size) place one on either side of front tire with the wheel up against any wall of the truck. As for anchor points for the straps; mount an eye-bolt in a 2x4, then screw to the floor using several screws(gonna have tension on it). Use soft straps on the footpegs to make sure the rear end doesn't move around. You may even want to load the bike last. Don't rest anything on or near the bike. Isolate it from other cargo.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:55 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Hey, thanks guys! I’ve moved bikes on trucks before so I know the four-point securing system, have ratchets and soft ties, and will make the wheel blocks early this week. I think I’ll also pick up some plywood to try to separate the household stuff from the bike.

I’ll give Penske a call tomorrow. The online moving calculator gives a quote that is a couple hundred dollars more than Budget. U-Haul was about two times as expensive, BTW. I have no idea how they can stay in business.

My wife and I were both laid off this fall and there are no jobs in the Asheville area. My alerts for “writing” (I’m a former reporter), “Marketing,” and “PR” bring up an occasional job managing a Food Lion or cleaning a bowling alley. The area is really a tourist destination and it will be very slow to recover.

I believe there are some glimmers of recovery in places like Atlanta, Raleigh, Durham, etc… but we didn’t move down here from Maine to live in one of these areas. Asheville is pretty unique and we’ll miss it, but moving to another Southern city isn’t really an option.

We grew up in Maine and have family and friends back there. I also have already had two phone interviews. It would be nice to have a secure gig lined up, but we still have a lot of unemployment available and have some money saved. It just doesn’t make sense for us to continue to pay rent in a place where there isn’t a future.

Ideally I’d like to land in Western Mass, where the culture is similar to AVL’s, the roads are better, and there are more job opportunities. Unfortunately, Springfield (MA) and Hartford (CT) are in the crapper right now. Maine will get us in the neighborhood and maybe more than that; we won’t get anywhere sticking it out here.

R.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Squided
Back Marker

john3012 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
we move them all the time in my bus. I made some wheel chocks and they work great. something like the condor, but I made them with my students. I have extra, but they prob wouldn't ship nice.
= Hilarious. All doubts confirmed.