General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Motorcycle safety vs bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cat0020
I have been an avid cyclist since late 80's, the cycling skills learned from being a bike messenger in SF CA and SEA WA had saved me numerous times while riding a motorcycle. I have clear understanding of legality of cyclists on public roads and following the traffic laws. I understand that there are cyclist who behave badly on public roads and project bad image for the rest of cycling community.

All public road users should consider, when you are operating a motorized vehicle it should be common curtecy to yeild or offer way for human powered vehicle for the simple reason that they peddling, more than likely have no or less protection from weather conditions and physically preoccupied rather than sitting in air conditioning/heat or twisting a wrist to propel forward.

Cyclists who run stop signs do so at their own risks, just as motorists who cross double yellow lines to pass slower traffic, I do both and always considered my environment prior to execution.

Hear! Hear!
Old 11-05-2008, 05:55 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by bundleofgrundle
I actually started out racing mountain bikes and training a lot on the road bike before i ever got a motorcycle. I agree with the "two wheels is two wheels" statement. be nice to the cyclists.
Ex-Road racer here & transcon tourist (BikeCentenial 1976)....I agree....two wheel is two wheels...give them the same respect you would another motorcyclist - Please !
Old 11-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cat0020
I have been an avid cyclist since late 80's, the cycling skills learned from being a bike messenger in SF CA and SEA WA had saved me numerous times while riding a motorcycle. I have clear understanding of legality of cyclists on public roads and following the traffic laws. I understand that there are cyclist who behave badly on public roads and project bad image for the rest of cycling community.

All public road users should consider, when you are operating a motorized vehicle it should be common curtecy to yeild or offer way for human powered vehicle for the simple reason that they peddling, more than likely have no or less protection from weather conditions and physically preoccupied rather than sitting in air conditioning/heat or twisting a wrist to propel forward.

Cyclists who run stop signs do so at their own risks, just as motorists who cross double yellow lines to pass slower traffic, I do both and always considered my environment prior to execution.

+1
Old 11-06-2008, 03:04 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
Get a life

Late to the post, already been said several times, but I'll say it myself. What a jackass. I'm a road and mountain biker as well as a motorcyclist. Its guys like this, doing things like this, that make me want to pack a compact Glock in my pack so I can open up after just such an event. I've had guys throw water balloons at me (while driving 50+ mph), shout or honk the horn for "fun". I've been hit three times. Riding on rural highways with cars passing you at high speed, just inches away, is a true near-death experience every time. You've got to trust that the guy driving behind you is paying attention, not dropping a pile of fries on his lap or smacking kids in the back seat- and on a collision course to kill you. So spandex or not- cyclists have ***** to ride. Give them a break.
Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle safety vs bicycles-evil-canyon.jpg  

Last edited by Sablotny; 11-06-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:57 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sablotny
Late to the post, already been said several times, but I'll say it myself. What a jackass. I'm a road and mountain biker as well as a motorcyclist. Its guys like this, doing things like this, that make me want to pack a compact Glock in my pack so I can open up after just such an event. I've had guys throw water balloons at me (while driving 50+ mph), shout or honk the horn for "fun". I've been hit three times. Riding on rural highways with cars passing you at high speed, just inches away, is a true near-death experience every time. You've got to trust that the guy driving behind you is paying attention, not dropping a pile of fries on his lap or smacking kids in the back seat- and on a collision course to kill you. So spandex or not- cyclists have ***** to ride. Give them a break.
Amen bro!
RC
Old 11-07-2008, 08:02 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
I received "Reputation" for my previous post.. what is it for?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Squid

Joe Kano is an unknown quantity at this point
Here I try to solicit opinions about which is safer, bicycles or motorcycles, and nearly all the posters miss that point preferring jump on me for being a SQUID. Only Sassage and Dakmatik had the ***** to also admit being annoyed by arrogant bicyclists who insist on their right to slow traffic and refused to pull over when someone is trying to pass. I guess the others members who fly by these bicyclists were too afraid of being branded – God forbid – a SQUID, even if done in a safe manner. The consensus seemed to be that “2 wheels are 2 wheels” and by that definition bicyclists, even those who pose a danger to passing motorcyclists, deserve “respect”. One member ventured to suggest we actually slow down and wave. Others claim that blowing by discourteous bicyclists give us motorcyclists a “bad name”. Personally I feel that if bicycle rider can’t keep up with the flow of the traffic and follow the traffic laws, they should be back on the sidewalk where they belong.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:10 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Joe Kano
Here I try to solicit opinions about which is safer, bicycles or motorcycles, and nearly all the posters miss that point preferring jump on me for being a SQUID. Only Sassage and Dakmatik had the ***** to also admit being annoyed by arrogant bicyclists who insist on their right to slow traffic and refused to pull over when someone is trying to pass. I guess the others members who fly by these bicyclists were too afraid of being branded – God forbid – a SQUID, even if done in a safe manner. The consensus seemed to be that “2 wheels are 2 wheels” and by that definition bicyclists, even those who pose a danger to passing motorcyclists, deserve “respect”. One member ventured to suggest we actually slow down and wave. Others claim that blowing by discourteous bicyclists give us motorcyclists a “bad name”. Personally I feel that if bicycle rider can’t keep up with the flow of the traffic and follow the traffic laws, they should be back on the sidewalk where they belong.

actually in some states its illegal for cyclists to ride on sidewalks... also its just a respect thing, you don't like it if someone tries to run you off the road when you are on your motorcycle and cyclists don't like to be nearly clipped by cars truck or motorcycles. Getting buzzed at any speed is sdangerous for cyclists and just shows a lack of respect and disregard for our fellow man. Just because you don't ride doesn't mean its ok to take someone elses life in your hands, or pretend to. You can slow down and speed up easily enough, and can easily give space when passing, so what the big deal. You don't have the patience to be slowed down for a second thats all it takes to pass safely.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:12 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Joe, it's some of your statements that offended people. Some are squidly or uninformed.

You made yet another uninformed statement in your most recent post: "they should be back on the sidewalk where they belong." In every state I've lived in, bicyclist are legally entitled to use the road, as long as they obey the laws of the road.

Have you gone back and re-read your original post? If you had, you would have re-read: "For me, one of the funnest things about riding my Superhawk is to slow down when approaching the bicyclists from behind, loudly down shifting, then scream by as loud and fast as I can, leaving them breathing my dust and exhaust."

It clearly states that you are doing this for enjoyment. No wonder people are pissed. It appears that many have nearly been hit by motorcyclists or cagers.

A simple thing to remember is "engage your brain, before putting your mouth in motion". Think about what you are going to say or type before doing so.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
Often on my early Sunday morning rides through the local hills and twisties near my home, I pass bicyclists in pairs or groups, huffing and puffing their way up the hills. For me, one of the funnest things about riding my Superhawk is to slow down when approaching the bicyclists from behind, loudly down shifting, then scream by as loud and fast as I can, leaving them breathing my dust and exhaust.

Cruel? Oh stop it. Don't be so judgmental. You do the same thing, just admit it.

I understand that statistically riding a bicycle is much safer than riding a motorcycle per million miles on the road, but with my full leathers with built-in armor, boots, gloves and a full-face helmet, I feel MUCH safer riding on a motorcycle with the traffic than I would to be on a bicycle with just a T-shirt, tight black spandex shorts, running shoes and a thin, little helmet for "protection" while 1 1/2 ton vehicles fly by 18" from my elbow.
Show me where you solicit an opinion from anyone. You state you feel safer on a motorcycle than bicycle, that is an opinion. You tell us how you like to have fun blowing by a bicyclists, by consciouly, first slowing down and then speeding up. Not exactly an adult thing to do but from your later posts you don't seem to get that.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
BTW, way to "fan the fire", by changing your avatar.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:56 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
For me, one of the funnest things about riding my Superhawk is to slow down when approaching the bicyclists from behind, loudly down shifting, then scream by as loud and fast as I can, leaving them breathing my dust and exhaust.
I tend to avoid name calling, but the term asshat is unavoidable. I've got a few bad/illegal riding habits... but none of them involve intentionally scaring/pissing people off.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dakmatik
most of them do not give the right of way. They think they have just as much right to ride in the middle of the lane as someone who is in a car or on a motorcycle.
Actually, at least in Virginia, they do have a right to their space in the lane. Yeah, some people try to claim the space a little too much, but they do have a right.

I used to cycle commute for years. They are saving gas. Taking up less space than a car. And are easy on the environment. And even though I had one psycho cyclist spit at me a few years back because he thought I ran too close to him, I support respecting them & their rights & their safety.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Opinion

"Personally I feel that if bicycle rider can’t keep up with the flow of the traffic and follow the traffic laws, they should be back on the sidewalk where they belong."

Joe, you are entitled to your opinion but that's all. The law (in most areas) states that a cyclist is allowed as much of the lanre to operate safely. That being said, I can't ever remember riding my motorcycle 1 foot from the curb. It is where the dirt accumulates and is dangerous. I think that you have missed almost every responders point. YOU get a kick out of endangering someone elses life because YOU don't like what they are doing. Who made YOU king ****? Every time you respond, you dig a deeper hole. We all pay taxes to use the roads. Many areas are expanding roads to include bike lanes. You will probably disagree with that and ride or drive in those lanes too. It takes all kinds to make this world interesting, I just hope you don't kill someone because they conform to your OPINION.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:57 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I've waited

I've waited to post until now. I won't say how long I've been spinnin and pippin 2 whls but my attitude is the same, if you are not there they can't kill you, do unto others..., and powered flight is safer than relying on human power and warm air (aka loft & gravity).
Old 11-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
I just put the VTR away and took the bicycle out. I'll be commuting all winter, and from previous experience I'm expecting the occasional **** to honk or scream at me if I should happen to cause him to slow down in his busy and important life. Oh well. It's the teenage girls on cell phones that fill me with dread though... I can just imagine having a car parked on my head while some Ditz texts "OMG - I think I just hit something..." Two wheels are two wheels - I just ask for a little respect no matter what I'm riding.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:12 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
I remember pedaling my little BMX bike to school for 2 to 3 miles one way when I was a little kid.

Nowadays, kids can't even walk a couple of blocks to get to the next school bus stop, diesel burning school bus drives the distance less than 0.1 mile to pick up kids from one driveway to the next.. what's this society becoming to? appearantly it's not even safe for our kids to walk on public roads to catch a school bus.

Last edited by cat0020; 11-12-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:19 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I like seeing anybody out there enjoying themselves. I'll give the bikers more credit, as I'm just sittin on my *** twisting the wrist.

But some of them don't know how to share the road either. I give them the courtesy of not blowing by them too closely, but there's no excuse for them to be riding 2-wide, taking up the lane and not making space for other vehicles that aren't doing 15 mph.

Of course, when that happens, and I get on it to let them know, they're probabably even less likely to give the next motorcycle any room!

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 11-15-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:48 AM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road

Maybe FIRST you should learn the LAW. Bicycles are SUPPOSED to be on the road, just like any other vehicle.
Duh
Old 11-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Squid

malott442 is on a distinguished road
I drive like Mad Max, I only attack cars. LOL. Even though I hit a stoner on accident on a bicycle in Florida, he had headphones on and decided to cross a 55mph highway without looking. Luckily he only had bruising and abrasions. I had 2k in damage without laying it down. These days bicycles frighten me. Not the serious cyclist, with the helmet and girly tights on, the slacker on the beach cruiser riding, on the phone, with a 12 pack of beer in the basket, cruising against the flow of traffic. I just want to kick them into the woods........

Cycling is dangerous, and I feel a serious cyclist should find somewhere better to ride than some of the places that I've seen em here. They friggen FORCE cars to slow down, swerve, pile up, just because they wont find a more fitting road to wear tights. Not hating, but geez, that stuff is dangerous.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
I've been on both sides of this. A couple of years ago I was riding a bicycle twice weekly, for fun and exercise. Some of the behavior I witnessed from both my group and some drivers was damn near heinous.

Once, two bicyclists were riding side by side. Nothing wrong with that, except for instead of one on the (perfectly clear) shoulder and the other on the white line, the one on the outside was in the car lane. I know the shoulder was fine because I was in it, 10 feet behind these idiots. In fact, that's the reason I WAS behind them, because their stupid behavior prevented me from safely passing their dumb asses.

On the other hand, another time, there were 20 or so of us on a two-lane with an 18" shoulder full of tree roots, single file, and some rich ****** lays on her horn in her MB as she blows by at 50.

Do bicyclists have the right to ride on the road? Absolutely. Should safety be a top concern over rights? Absolutely. If my clutch gives out on my hawk or my pickup and I can't get it out of first, you think I'm going to limp home at 20 or 30 in a faster zone? Hell no, I'll get run over.

Bottom line is, you get what you give, but you gotta keep your eyes open all the time.