General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Michelin Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road
Michelin Recall

What ever happened with the recall? Are the Pilot Powers available still?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:27 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I think it was only the ones that were manufactured in France that had the problem. Most of the ones around here came from plant in Spain.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
There's plenty of Pilot Power tires around but unfortunately not so many 2ct front tires around. Hopefully one more week until the ones from spain come in, until then be very careful if you're riding on them.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Squid

mkimber is on a distinguished road
I'm riding a set of 2CTs about 2 months old but I haven't heard anything about a recall. What's up?

****, justed checked mine, sure enough I've got one. Guess I'll give them a call in the morning. Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you guys know what they say.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:45 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm on a local forum here in chicago and another member is a track rider at autobahn raceway in Joliet IL. he posted telling everybody to calm down about the whole recall thing. they are running 2ct tires that were recalled and he said that none of their riders have had any problems with them. there were only 2 cases of failure that started this whole thing and both were on stunt bikes in florida with very very low pressure. his opinion was that the tires are fine and michelin is just covering their butts. I've got a recalled 2ct on my bike and so far so good. I plan on running what I have until I need a new front and then utilizing the recall to get a new one. its gonna take the michelin dealers quite a while to addiquately restock for everyone anyway.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:19 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by swordfish
I'm on a local forum here in chicago and another member is a track rider at autobahn raceway in Joliet IL. he posted telling everybody to calm down about the whole recall thing. they are running 2ct tires that were recalled and he said that none of their riders have had any problems with them. there were only 2 cases of failure that started this whole thing and both were on stunt bikes in florida with very very low pressure. his opinion was that the tires are fine and michelin is just covering their butts. I've got a recalled 2ct on my bike and so far so good. I plan on running what I have until I need a new front and then utilizing the recall to get a new one. its gonna take the michelin dealers quite a while to addiquately restock for everyone anyway.
I'm not sure where you are getting your information but it's wrong! According to Mich. there were NO incidents that started this recall, instead it was started because they found a problem with the tread at the plant. It was a voluntary recall on their part not promted by any accidents. Ask yourself this, would a major company really recall some 60,000 tires because of 2 stunters?

As far as not taking this seriously maybe you should re-think that as well, yes you may get lucky or this could happen to you.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:30 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
"in my opinion as well as others at the track, we are going to keep running them until they are wore out and then replace them. The track guys use these things every weekend at temps you wont see during street riding. So i say ride it and take it in when you need a new one."

"I talked to Monte who runs Sportbiketracktime this weekend. STT is a michelin dealer. He said that the two tires that initially started this recall process were found on two bikes in Florida that were ridden by stunt riders that had severly underinflated tires. Its funny, Dunlop had tires flying apart at daytona and they said they dont have a problem with thier tires. Michelin has two tires that were not properly inflated that had a problem and they are willing to recall all of the 68,000 tires they made just to be sure and to make thing safe. Good company."

these are quotes from the track rider at autobahn. you're right it wasn't prompted by any incidents. there were no accidents. but there was this pic from the stunt team. you believe what you want buddy. there are other, possibly more objective places to get your info. I just don't think there's enough reason to freak out and pitch a set of tires that are performing perfectly on at least one track every day. maybe you've got enough money to "take this seriously" and just pick up a new set but I know I don't have the dough to be wasting because of some paranoia.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 PM
MotoGP

I'd love to see his information because mine is comming straight from Michelin and from the release that we got there was no info on why where or when but if he got his info from someone other than the company then hey why not. To me money should be the least of your worries, for one thing it's a free replacement and for another my life's worth a little more than $110 but do what you want, I'm not your mother dude. I go through a set of tires in one weekend so yeah I worry about something going wrong with the only thing keeping me from hitting the ground at triple digits but what do I know?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road
Now boys, play nice. I just wanted to know if the tire dealers had restocked with good pilot powers yet.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:19 PM
MotoGP

That's enough out of you too tough guy!! There're plenty of Pilot Power tires, the 2ct's should be here soon maybe this week or next.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:28 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
My friend got his mail order, but local dealers are not too eager to process his recall so far.You'd think MC dealers would take this as an opportunity to win some customers over, especially since they will be fully compensated be Michelin for the installation. Instead it's the same old hard-nosed approach that drives people to mailorder in the first place. (Sorry for lumping all dealers together Superhawk22, if your shop is the exception.)
Old 07-17-2007, 05:40 PM
MotoGP

No problem, that's why I like working for Cycle Gear, they make it easy to make customers happy which makes my job easier. The only problem for us right now is the lack of 2ct tires which is pissing off some of our cutomers but our hands are tied until the shipment gets to the U.S.