General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Let's play what's it worth? 1998 Superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:11 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Let's play what's it worth? 1998 Superhawk

I put this bike together over the winter from a few parts bikes I had accumulated. The frame was a salvage bike I bought, the motor came from a complete bike with no title I got. It has 26,678 miles on it and runs and rides just fine, no hiccups or problems starting or anything.

The good

It has on it;
Aftermarket one piece upper fairing
CBR600RR Stick Coil upgrade
LP Preload adjusters
Braided steel brake and clutch lines
Low mileage DID Gold ZVM-X 530 Chain with Superspox Stealth Aluminum/Steel rear sprocket 43 tooth(can't remember front sprocket tooth #)
Screw on race style gas cap
De-Paired with black anodized PAIR valve Covers
K&N air filter(runs great with it I swear)
Good tires

The bad

Left side of tank and tail have scratches from a lowside(while on a previous bike) Somehow the pic doesn't show the tank scrape
Both engine cases scraped(from previous owner/bike)
Unpainted upper fairing(black primer?)
Right muffler has scratches

I built this bike from the bare frame up, and turned every nut and bolt myself so I'm confident of it's soundness.

Just curious what the communities opinion of the value of such a bike would be, I'm having it inspected today so it should be a quick sale at the right price. My gut says to list it for $2500 on craigslist and see what happens., What do you all think?
Thanks

Name:  IMG_21871_zps11f776cc.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  185.5 KB

Name:  IMG_21881_zps92a53312.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  134.3 KB
Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Unpainted fairing, scrapes on plastic and hard parts, salvage title... motor from another bike....
I think you're high on the price point, maybe $1800 or so..., assuming most folks don't walk away from the buy fearing it's a stolen parts assembly.

But hey, list it at $2500 for a few weeks, most that can happen is it does not sell... Then make a few simple (cheap changes) and put it up again for something less.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Back Marker

Caffeine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Unpainted fairing, scrapes on plastic and hard parts, salvage title... motor from another bike....
I think you're high on the price point, maybe $1800 or so..., assuming most folks don't walk away from the buy fearing it's a stolen parts assembly.

But hey, list it at $2500 for a few weeks, most that can happen is it does not sell... Then make a few simple (cheap changes) and put it up again for something less.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
wow then I'm gonna get my 3k with all my extras pretty easy. sweet.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM
SuperSport

I had to get it salvage inspected at a police station two weeks ago, he checked the VIN as well as the engine #'s to make sure they weren't stolen, and they are not.

Yea, if it doesn't sell quick for that price or close to it, I'll start taking off small parts like the Preload adjusters and gas cap to sell seperately, and knock the price down some.

I live close to Baltimore MD, and York PA, so there is a large population very close to me, I have a feeling someone will jump on it since I'm getting the MD inspection done today, and they will only need to visit the MVA for tags. Tis the season
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Partner, Im not saying I THINK it's stolen.. Just that, well, the looks, and story behind it is a hard sell to folks that DONT know you. With the inspection and registration done though, i think you will allay those fears well.. nicely done.

You know your local area and pricing points better than those of us elsewhere .. If you are at a good point locally, list it.

Best of luck
Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
OK, you asked, so don't take offense! $1000- $1500 top's. GLWS I really hope you get way more than that. They say there's a *** for every seat? just got to find that ***!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 PM
SuperSport

Partner, Im not saying I THINK it's stolen.. Just that, well, the looks, and story behind it is a hard sell to folks that DONT know you. With the inspection and registration done though, i think you will allay those fears well.. nicely done.

You know your local area and pricing points better than those of us elsewhere .. If you are at a good point locally, list it.

Best of luck
Oh i hadn't taken your remark that way. The rolling chassis came from a dealership, and the motor from a parts bike that was a little shady honestly, but it came back ok from the police inspection, then I had it transferred into my name so I have a clean MD title, with a "rebuilt" mark on it. and now today it has just passed Maryland Safety inspection, so that's a nice selling point.

Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
OK, you asked, so don't take offense! $1000- $1500 top's. GLWS I really hope you get way more than that. They say there's a *** for every seat? just got to find that ***!
haha, no offense taken, honest answers is what I wanted. Good way of putting it..

I may make an attempt to paint the fairing red tomorrow before listing it, it couldn't make it look any worse.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:39 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I'd say @ $1500... with a clean title & mint bodywork you MAY get $2500 for it...can't imagine this guy wouldn't sell this bike for $2500.

2000 Honda VTR1000 & Accessories - Garaged, Like New, 6K Miles

Just curious...being that I've (and I'm sure I'm not unique in that respect) bought and sold clean title frames in mint condition for $250-$300 and could go buy more than one locally for around that much right now, why would you go through all the trouble to build a salvage title bike?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
[2000 Honda VTR1000 & Accessories - Garaged, Like New, 6K Miles

Damn! it's crazy that these bikes are worth so little. That's a great deal for someone in Florida.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:54 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
[2000 Honda VTR1000 & Accessories - Garaged, Like New, 6K Miles

Damn! it's crazy that these bikes are worth so little. That's a great deal for someone in Florida.
Yeah that bike is chafing my *** I wish someone would buy it already...I haven't the money nor the need for another superhawk but if it's half as nice as it looks with 6k miles on it...
Old 06-11-2013, 03:00 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by captainchaos
I'd say @ $1500... with a clean title & mint bodywork you MAY get $2500 for it...can't imagine this guy wouldn't sell this bike for $2500.

2000 Honda VTR1000 & Accessories - Garaged, Like New, 6K Miles

Just curious...being that I've (and I'm sure I'm not unique in that respect) bought and sold clean title frames in mint condition for $250-$300 and could go buy more than one locally for around that much right now, why would you go through all the trouble to build a salvage title bike?
That is a good question....but it wasn't any trouble really

I bought the bike from a forum classifieds post, It was complete minus the motor, and came with all the paperwork needed and filled out from the dealer that I had to take to the police station.. The Police inspection was only $25, and I figure being that the bike's been rebuilt from the frame up there's no major damage to worry about.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately cosmetics sell, I'd say $1250-$1500. But I'd ask $2500 and go from there.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:22 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
No deals like that in Arizona. Been looking a couple of years just to see what's out there.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't call the one piece front fairing a plus. It screams CRASHED.
Still, you have a good bike there. If you can, paint the fairing. It will look ten times more desirable and definitely bring more money. It will look better to you and you will not be as compelled to take less money for it.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Back Marker

Appletonhawk is on a distinguished road
I think $2500 is pretty optimistic considering my bike is mint with some nice exhaust on it and I just paid $2900 for it. No offense, but get the fairing painted, mount the signals in the correct spot and put some exhaust on it and you might have something. Thought you said it has D&D exhaust, but it looks completely stock to me?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Appletonhawk
I think $2500 is pretty optimistic considering my bike is mint with some nice exhaust on it and I just paid $2900 for it. No offense, but get the fairing painted, mount the signals in the correct spot and put some exhaust on it and you might have something. Thought you said it has D&D exhaust, but it looks completely stock to me?
No I never said D&D exhaust anywhere. I didn't want to cut holes in the fairing for the turn signals, thinking whoever buys it may want to pick their own flush mounts and put them where they want with minimal cutting/drilling.

I picked up some paint today ill see what I can do with it tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:03 PM
SuperSport

Spiffed her up some

Ok how about now?

I spent 4 days this week painting the fairing, it turned out pretty good, I think it's my best rattle can job yet.

Name:  IMG_2253_zps5d223109.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  131.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2254_zpsec907852.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  135.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2255_zpsd8a24da5.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  168.1 KB
Old 06-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Back Marker

brothermike is on a distinguished road