General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

a knock over

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:59 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
a knock over

my first damage to my pristine and beautiful VTR. A knock over in a parking garage left the bike damaged with no note. Shattered NEW zero gravity screen, broke the right mirror off at the mounting plate, right side signals scratched and need repositioning and the fairing pushed out of position with the front stays bent sideways. Luckily no damage to the fairing. I was lucky to get a replacement mirror for $1.99 including shipping. It made me so sick I had to put it away for a week before I could manage to start fixing it. The one who knocked it over will receive my full fury if I lay hands on who did it.

Last edited by twist; 11-06-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:49 PM
SuperSport

The fairing is not sitting squarely so I pulled the fairing to find out what is bent. It's the upper fairing stay that's bent. Tweaked slightly to the left. That U shape is lower on the left so the fairing is wonky. Has anyone ever bent one back into shape? Doesn't need much but Not sure how I'm gonna approach it. New one is about $200.00

Last edited by twist; 11-06-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
This is exactly why I always parked my bike up on the sidewalk, far away from the entrance to the store to discourage joy sitters and kids.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:10 PM
SuperSport

this happened in our secure parking garage. Only a few have the key to get in. It was knocked over into my van where the big bumper was the object it fell into, also denting my back door on the van! Grrrrrr!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Dammmmmmitttttt!

Security cameras?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 PM
SuperSport

looks like I'm gonna have to try to bend it back as best as I can until I can get a new part that isn't bent. Garage has no cameras, it's a privacy issue. I'll bide my time and wait to get to the bottom of this. I have to be thankful that the fairing isn't broken or cracked.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:42 PM
SuperSport

man I'm close to having the fairing fitting again. Things are just a little off at the head stay where the mirrors and fairing bolt to the head brace. Can any one snap a few pix of their bikes, looking down at the top showing the fairing and the gap at the frame, from the side showing faring in relation to frame and radiators and motor, front at light level and over the top looking down to the gauges. I need relationships of gaps to fairing and frame and how the fairing lines up to the frame. Also a pic of the stays in relation to the fairing and gauges and the heat stay braces. Nothing better than a new one tho.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:14 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
looks like I'm gonna have to try to bend it back as best as I can until I can get a new part that isn't bent.
Try heating it before any bending

The back of the headlight has two mounting plugs that align into the fairing stay rubbers - getting that in the right place is your best guide along with some trial & error mounting and unmounting the fairing.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:42 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Wicky
Try heating it before any bending

The back of the headlight has two mounting plugs that align into the fairing stay rubbers - getting that in the right place is your best guide along with some trial & error mounting and unmounting the fairing.

thanks for that! I figured it would be a fit and refit. Good to know about the plugs. Trial and error.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:22 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I have to tell stories like this enlessly when people object to me parking on the sidewalk. It is just not worth coming out to an unrideable bike. BUT. they are inherently unstable vehicles so tip overs DO happen. Thats the only way I can feel better about it.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:49 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I have to tell stories like this enlessly when people object to me parking on the sidewalk. It is just not worth coming out to an unrideable bike. BUT. they are inherently unstable vehicles so tip overs DO happen. Thats the only way I can feel better about it.
I guess it was bound to happen. I can fix it, have fixed other bikes over the years. This bike is somehow different tho. I get wrapped around the axle when I start thinking about it.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 PM
SuperSport

thank you all who helped me with suggestions and links for parts. I got my hawk back up and on the road, and it looks near perfect! Can't really tell there was any damage at all. I managed to get a mirror off ebay for $1.95. The mirror was damaged but the mount was just fine. With patience and a slow, steady hand I got the main faring brace bent back to near factory position. I used a 2x4 cut to about 5 feet to bend the U part. Slowly and steady pressure. Bingo! Unfortunately the bent brake lever broke while I was trying to bend it back. I now have a shorty lever! (I'm going for the click-n-roll anyway). The best point was wicky's mention of the 2 mounting plugs for the main fairing piece. Made getting everything centered much better. I now park the VTR where cars and children can't get to it. Thank you all!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:29 PM
MotoGP

God bless us, everyone.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:03 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
God bless us, everyone.
can I get an amen? Amen!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Squid

Patton303 is on a distinguished road
I would definitely go back and look for any cameras..... Sorry man... That's not cool....
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Patton303
I would definitely go back and look for any cameras..... Sorry man... That's not cool....
I purchased a camera. I park my bike behind my van, (that's what the bike fell into), so I mounted the camera in the van facing the rear doors. Battery operated, motion activated and a chip with enough memory for 24 to 48 hours. I only need enough for 12 to 16 hours. Security cameras are amazingly cheap and there is more spy hardware than I imagined. Some really cool stuff. One camera the size of an eye with more features than many big units and very easy to hide! I'll catch it if it happens again! I get wrapped around the axle just thinking about it!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
The problem Johann is that the accident has already happened, and doesn't
mean you will be unlucky again in the near future....at least I hope for you.

This will start to make you paranoid, and dream of catching who ever did this
to you. That's when it becomes dangerous since many times, we want to take
care fo the situation ourselves.

Anyway, don't do anything stupid if you catch the MF that did this to you....
Just saying.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
The problem Johann is that the accident has already happened, and doesn't
mean you will be unlucky again in the near future....at least I hope for you.

This will start to make you paranoid, and dream of catching who ever did this
to you. That's when it becomes dangerous since many times, we want to take
care fo the situation ourselves.

Anyway, don't do anything stupid if you catch the MF that did this to you....
Just saying.
you have a good point. I know I can lose my temper in a flash and it has caused me trouble in the past. Best to move on and be sure I don't let the situation present itself again.
Our bldg manager thinks it's vandalism since less than a year ago my other bike took mirror damage from a unknown.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:55 PM
MotoGP

If its any consolation I have had 3 bikes stolen. Had one attempted theft when the thief had it started but didnt notice the padlock in the disc. My friend saw him and jumped on him but they smashed the getaway car into the bike and took off.

So yeah, I have punched cabbies in the face over stuff but really, like mr miaggi said, think that way start by digging grave.

You gotta let it go. I promise a whole slew of worse things will happen to you that will make this seem like a good day.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by twist
Unfortunately the bent brake lever broke while I was trying to bend it back. I now have a shorty lever! (I'm going for the click-n-roll anyway).
For future reference, i dropped my bike in the garage and bent the clutch handle. I discovered a tubing bender(for bending copper tubing w/o kinking) lying the the toolbox drawer(not expensive at Lowes) and straightened the "U" back to normal easily. Sometimes you win one.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Smokin, have you ever thought of teaming up with Bruce Willis, and making
an action flick....;o)

3 Bikes...gotta love NYC
Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 AM
MotoGP

Yeah, I am the last boyscout. Sadly, the best defense is a good offense. If you ride passively you dont do it for long. I have more fun these days but it took 20 yrs to get good enuff to not be at as much risk.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:22 PM
SuperSport

I just got home from a 3 hour ride to skyline, through la honda and down the coast hwy back to sf. I totally forgot about the broken parts and damage. I am continually amazed at how easy this bike is to ride! It loves the twisty roads and long sweepers. I haven't gotten down to dragging a knee but then, that isn't the point. The point is to have as much fun as possible without falling off! I really am addicted to the mighty grunt coming out of a curve. This bike just feels like a brute with the acceleration out of curves! I just smiled all the way home. Happy!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:42 AM
Squid

Few things are worth losing your cool over..... except wife,kid,and integrity.
The rest is salvageable.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 AM
Squid

Oh... And Twist.... I respectfully say.....**** you affectionately....and with great envy....
for living where you can ride in the winter. My driveway is currently Northern exposured, and littered with ice. Your life is grand my friend.
-Scotty
Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 AM
SuperSport

Oh... And Twist.... I respectfully say.....**** you affectionately....and with great envy....
for living where you can ride in the winter. My driveway is currently Northern exposured, and littered with ice. Your life is grand my friend.
-Scotty
well, I must admit I have a grand life style. It's November and 62 degrees F outside. I rode yesterday and will likely ride today. The rain will come but I can ride in the rain too, just don't like it. I used to live in a place where winter was 6 months of the year and rode my Triumph even on the snow and ice. I recall getting where it was warm and how damn bad it hurt my fingers as they warmed up, like they had been slammed in a car door. I used to be a 1%er but no more. I discovered heated vehicles for winter and air conditioning for summer and comfortable seats to sit in. I'm getting soft.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Squid

I lived in Palo Alto for a brief spell. I loved taking my old Interceptor on that twisty road that ran to Half Moon Bay. Glorious man..... until you had to pass grandpa in the RV... Ha..
Old 11-13-2012, 04:27 PM
SuperSport

I lived in Palo Alto for a brief spell. I loved taking my old Interceptor on that twisty road that ran to Half Moon Bay. Glorious man..... until you had to pass grandpa in the RV... Ha..
I enjoy chasing deer through La Honda to Sky Line Blvd, scaring tourists on Sky Line to San Mateo rd. On a good morning I can pull the whole trip from San Francisco in about 2 hours. That La Honda road is totally fun but for the deer.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
yeah and both of you can get high afterwards legally now. It ain't fair!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by nath981
yeah and both of you can get high afterwards legally now. It ain't fair!
Haha that's true. Although I don't bake and ride anymore.... Like i did back in my dumb *** rock star days.... How I lived to be 40 now, I'll never know....

Quick Reply: a knock over