General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

jwsupertwin

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Squid

jwsupertwin is on a distinguished road
jwsupertwin

We are new members who moved away from our support group of mechanic friends a year ago. We are hoping someone can provide insight to what happend to Jeanne's 1999 SuperHawk today. She has about 46,000 miles on it and is hoping for another 40,000. The bike has been meticulously maintained by herself and her friends. Only the best motor oil has been used and never any short-cuts taken on maintaining the bike.

Anyway, after about 100 miles of riding today she heard a series of "ting, ting, ting...". Then the motor lost power, she pulled in the clutch and came to a stop. When she activates the starter it sounds like you spilled a drawer full of tools on a concrete floor, with a little grinding. She thinks it is, maybe, just a little electrical problem and I will not discourage her optomism.

The bike was hauled to a shop more than 100 miles from home.

Any thoughts?

jwsupertwin and Ray
Old 05-26-2008, 06:00 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
sounds bad. do a search on cam chain tensioner failure (or CCT failure) - would probably be the most likely thing just given the short story, and resultant valve damage.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:06 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Have to agree that the symptoms fit CCT's. Either way let us know.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:12 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
+1 on CCT failure. Hopefully it didn't take out a valve or piston.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Squid

Yep, you nailed it. Cam chain adjuster and resultant valve, piston and cyl head...it's a real sad thing. My sweet ride is in poor shape and I was planning on putting another 20 K on it doing my canyon carving thing. My next step is perplexing me so,and the thought of a salvage yard just breaks my heart. Perfect body parts could be worth something to someone. Just put a new qualifier on the rear too. Ebay??
Thanks for the help so far. Needless to say I'm looking at another VTR.
I've been a dedicated Golden Spectrol Blend user and couldn't find it in S Texas. I used Repsol for my last change. Please tell that I didn't inflict this?
Heart broken about my Hawk......

Last edited by jwsupertwin; 06-11-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: last thought
Old 06-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
Ebay or here is a good place to start.......looking for parts to fix'r up!! I doubt you'll be disappointed. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:03 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Go to a salvage yard and find another VTR. Get the motor. If it was wrecked, it must have been running.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:35 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
and put APE manual cct's on your next one to prevent such a repeat.

(oil change had nothing to do with it)
Old 06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Back Marker

jserio is on a distinguished road
I just suffered the same thing. I am having the entire engine rebuilt rings and all. There is another forum member selling an engine I passed up on. May be what your looking for. It is worth putting an engine in because you will lose more selling with the bad engine.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Back Marker

jserio is on a distinguished road
CCT

Now that we are on this subject. Is there an improved CCT for our motors? If not is there preventative maintenence to prevent the failure from happening again. I am having my motor rebuilt and would like to tell the mechanic what to use if there are any ideas.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:51 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jserio
Now that we are on this subject. Is there an improved CCT for our motors? If not is there preventative maintenence to prevent the failure from happening again. I am having my motor rebuilt and would like to tell the mechanic what to use if there are any ideas.
see LAZN's post #8 above...
Old 06-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jwsupertwin
Yep, you nailed it. Cam chain adjuster and resultant valve, piston and cyl head...it's a real sad thing. My sweet ride is in poor shape and I was planning on putting another 20 K on it doing my canyon carving thing. My next step is perplexing me so,and the thought of a salvage yard just breaks my heart. Perfect body parts could be worth something to someone. Just put a new qualifier on the rear too. Ebay??
I've been a dedicated Golden Spectrol Blend user and couldn't find it in S Texas. I used Repsol for my last change. Please tell that I didn't inflict this?

Sorry to hear you have a cylinder down, but it can be rebuilt and prolly a lot easier than buying another bike...I'd say it's time for a set of hot cams and pistons to match or at least that's what I'd do

Once you get past the money part you'll see clearly that saving your baby is the only route to take and Flebay isn't even an option

Good luck,
RC
Old 06-13-2008, 09:55 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
JW - didn't anybody tell U about the CCT's??

Man most are luckily to 30k on stock ones.

Rebuild motor if rest of bike is in good shape.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jwsupertwin
It would be safe to chage the CCT's every 25K or so, at least going by when other's have lost theirs. Several on here have gone over 30k with no issues from what I remember reading (you can find this discussion in a search). Guess it depends on how hard you push the engine and how safe you want to be. I'm at 20k and next spring I'll be replacing mine. Cheaper than lunching an engine.

Your oil choice had nothing to do with it, just fatigue from high mileage. Sorry.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Squid

Good thoughts and appreciation of your insights

I want to thank all of you for your advice concerning the CCT and the demize of my Hawk. I spoke personally to the shop mechanic and his words made the decision with logic and I had to pull away from the emotional connection to rebuild a motor and let the bike go....I could not justify the cost.
So, yesterday I said goodbye to my dream machine.
Custom frame sliders with engineering that thankfully I never had to use and heated grips still remain on the bike. The rest of my goodies we took off.
It still looks showroom pretty. I glanced once again at the new chain and qualifier and shook my head. It had been ready for another track school. Oh well.
I'm sure it's show room body parts will be on ebay soon but there is always the possibilty the new owner may see the value of replacing the motor.
I must say the hugs I received as tears were coming down my cheeks were most appreciated.
And with this chapter ending and the thoughts of another Hawk I'll say, "kindest regards".
jwsupertwin
Old 06-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Squid

Good thoughts and appreciation of your insights

I want to thank all of you for your advice concerning the CCT and the demize of my Hawk. I spoke personally to the shop mechanic and his words made the decision with logic and I had to pull away from the emotional connection to rebuild a motor and let the bike go....I could not justify the cost.
So, yesterday I said goodbye to my dream machine.
Custom frame sliders with engineering that thankfully I never had to use and heated grips still remain on the bike. The rest of my goodies we took off.
It still looks showroom pretty. I glanced once again at the new chain and qualifier and shook my head. It had been ready for another track school. Oh well.
I'm sure it's show room body parts will be on ebay soon but there is always the possibilty the new owner may see the value of replacing the motor.
I must say the hugs I received as tears were coming down my cheeks were most appreciated.
And with this chapter ending and the thoughts of another Hawk I'll say, "kindest regards".
jwsupertwin
Old 06-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Squid

Unclutchable is on a distinguished road
I'm just curious what brought you to this decision? I've seen entire running engines with electronics selling on ebay for less than a grand, far cheaper than another good bike.