General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I'm hurting...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:27 PM
red
Squid

red is on a distinguished road
I'm hurting...

when I ride my new superhawk. I posted pics btw in 'members rides' section.My last motorcycle was a Kaw ZRX1200 which I had modded with genmars and a corbin. The riding positionon it was very comfortable for me.Anyway, enough about the rex. I love this superhawk, but riding it is very painful for me in my arms and expscially my right hand is going to sleep.Will Helibars and another seat, say a Sargent cure this? Please say it is so!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:55 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I went through the whole ramp and could not get my bars to settle down. Eventually bit the bullet and bought Heli. Didn't even at first put all the Honda ballast back in and it was an incredible difference. It ain't all about the angle - it's a little more about the alloy.

At first is was so much fun I just rode the bike raw with the Heli's. As it became obvious how much better the feel could become I started to assemble the parts to do so.

The outer 11.75 oz stainless bar ends did nothing for my stock bars. They were huge with the Heli's. Watch your tire pressures. The bars on my bike are complete, the counter weights in my upper fairing stay are not installed so the mirros shake around a bit.

Properly built and properly maintained Superhawks are joy in the jungle. My day wasn't. The tire pressures were off, the thing handled like a tank at the end of the day handed me my ***. 110 miles.

I test pressures before I go out again - it's just been a week and they're all mixed - both bikes. Safety this time of the year is about who stays on top of changing weather conditions. Both bikes were 4 to 6 lbs out. It took me getting my *** beat by the Superhawk to realize what was going on. My arms ached, my *** ached, my feet ached and my ***** ached. I test the pressures the next day and it was almost like changing your own diaper. **** head!

Both these bikes lost critical safety pressure in one week.

Last edited by nuhawk; 09-25-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
maybe growing a pair of nuts will help....this is the most comfortable bike i've ridden. My girlfriend even says so and shes on the rear perch!

j/k....i have a corbin seat on mine which is great. I let my abs support my body instead of my wrists. try to loosen up a little, keep elbows in, and maybe do some sit ups and chin ups to strengthen your core.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:16 PM
MotoGP

My point is that one this particular day I had not tested my tire pressures and they were well off. I rode a 114 miles of less than fun. I've spent over a thousand dollars on my suspension so I know what works and what doesn't. My point is that a simple thing like tire pressure makes the best **** in the world go away.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I put VFR bars on mine and love em. Even in the twisties (which is pretty much the only stuff I ride).
Old 09-26-2008, 04:10 AM
red
Squid

thanks for the input. so, tire pressure? I checked before going out as Ive gotten into that habit of doing so. about 38 back 34 front running metzeler m1s.I admit my 'core' isnt what it used to be but give me somewhat of a break here. I'm 48 how old are you zx6r? I guess maybe my choice in a new ride wasnt the best as I dont look forward to hours of riding depending on my stomach muscles to keep the down pressure off of my wrists. That what was uncomfortable in my riding, the wrists with my right one going numb to the point of concern towards handling.understandably 70 +mph was not as bad gue to the wind helping balance things out.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Squid

grasshoppermouse is on a distinguished road
red

as a fellow nighthawk owner and superhawk owner i have always been curious about the rex as a 3rd ride but it duplicates the nighthawk in way (maybe the best of both worlds????) .

I was ready to part ways with the hawk. i love the long lope of the v twin and i just want to sit back and enjoy. instead I had to maintian ab flex speed racer stance all of the time to maintian comfort.

I had to put lsl superbike bars and a corbin seat on mine to make it the bike i wanted.
http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm
I don't know how tall you are but beware. If you replace the seat with a corbin or sargeant 1st it will slide you back (nuts sigh in relief) farther from the bars resulting in a more bent over posture.

With superbike bars I think the stock seat could be cut to satisfaction.

Also threads exist to drill your triple clamp to do this on the cheap. i was to scared that the al wasn't thick enough for a couple of holes + torque.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:28 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Corbin and Helibars sure made the ride more comfortable for me. My wrists sure appreciated the change
Old 09-26-2008, 06:34 AM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
red- i'm less than half your age, guess i should have some respect...

I bet the ZRX was a demon up top. Lots of power huh? I heard they were designed specifically to look like the 84-87 nighthawk 700s (topgun bike!). Both bikes look nice.

EDIT: just looked at sig, I guess you have an s'
Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
A sargent seat and some helibars... Just repeating what others said...

It's true...

One of the downfalls of the stock seat is that its forward slope only, need som upslope to keep you inplace without using just muscle for it... Yes it put's you further back, but it's worth it...

Adjustable/semi adjustable clipons give you the best possible stance... Bit belive me, regardless of age give it as few hours in the saddle and the muscles keeping you in place will get fit quite fast...
Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Red... I know people are different, so take this with a grain of salt.

But I'm only 5'8" and I almost always ride right up against the tank. That reduces the reach to the bars and yields a bit more upright riding position for me.

I'm usually good for all day rides. The only time I'm really uncomfortable on this bike is running on straight roads; as long as it's twisty & I'm moving around a bit on the seat then it's really pretty comfortable.

Now if I just got a Sargent or Corbin I'd probably be set.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Squid

harlangto is on a distinguished road
Red...As it has been said it comes down to your your size, proper suspension seatup, tire pressure and riding position. I am over 50, 6'5" and tip the scales around 265.
I had the same problem but have gone to a new Sargent seat with helibars + the higher windscreen which have made my daily 84 miles a dream. I have been riding a '97 VMax since new and have parked it from commuting (MPG's) because the SH is so much more fun now. Sport bike = elbows & gut in. Be loose and enjoy.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
Red... I know people are different, so take this with a grain of salt.

But I'm only 5'8" and I almost always ride right up against the tank. That reduces the reach to the bars and yields a bit more upright riding position for me.

I'm usually good for all day rides. The only time I'm really uncomfortable on this bike is running on straight roads; as long as it's twisty & I'm moving around a bit on the seat then it's really pretty comfortable.

Now if I just got a Sargent or Corbin I'd probably be set.
Same deal for me. I dont mind the stock setup. To each his own.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Squid

BatBike13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by red
when I ride my new superhawk. I posted pics btw in 'members rides' section.My last motorcycle was a Kaw ZRX1200 which I had modded with genmars and a corbin. The riding positionon it was very comfortable for me.Anyway, enough about the rex. I love this superhawk, but riding it is very painful for me in my arms and expscially my right hand is going to sleep.Will Helibars and another seat, say a Sargent cure this? Please say it is so!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:44 PM
red
Squid

I appreciate all the sound advice and opinions concerning the ride positionon the Superhawk..About the Rex, yes it elvolved into quite the beast after two years of modding it. Even up to the very last ride before selling it a full throttle romp to redline never disappointed the thrill factor. It was however 'time to move on' and my financial status requires that in order to mover on to another 'project' the initial one must first be sold. I may start planning towards the helibar and sargent combination. One question with the helibars.... does that mod bolt on using stock lines and cables? thanks!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by red
I appreciate all the sound advice and opinions concerning the ride positionon the Superhawk..About the Rex, yes it elvolved into quite the beast after two years of modding it. Even up to the very last ride before selling it a full throttle romp to redline never disappointed the thrill factor. It was however 'time to move on' and my financial status requires that in order to mover on to another 'project' the initial one must first be sold. I may start planning towards the helibar and sargent combination. One question with the helibars.... does that mod bolt on using stock lines and cables? thanks!
Unbolt the little T-connector that holds the brakelines and it should work...
Old 09-26-2008, 06:02 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Red, I'm 62 next month, 5'10", 155, and the Sargent seat made a huge difference for me. It gives increased support on the inside of the thighs to better distribute your weight. I''m running stock bars.

How long have you had the CB700SC? I bought one new in '86, red white and blue model, and rode it for 5 years and 48,000 miles. I loved it until I rode a BMW R100RS and experienced torque, then I met the SuperHawk and the Beemer had to go after 15 years. I wouldn't mind having a Nighthawk S as a second bike now. Mine had a 4 into 1 Supertrapp stainless exhaust, sounded great.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:18 PM
red
Squid

This is my first summer with the nighthawk. I found it on san antonio craigslist thought it to be a good price and jumped on it. It has been my daily commuter giving my truck with its less than great gas mileage a break. I have come to really like the nighthawk. Am considering 4-1 exhaust also with jet kit. It has a k&n air filter mod now.Here is a pic....Name:  PICT0309.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  121.5 KB

Last edited by red; 09-26-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:04 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I ran Metzlers on mine too. The Supertrapp really lightened it up, and I didn't have to rejet with a stock air filter. The Supertrapp is adjustable, and I just went with their recommended number of discs for my bike. Unfortunately, I think they only make exhaust for Harleys and cars and trucks nowadays.

The 16" wheels make it very flickable. Freddie Spencer did a TV commercial on the 700 Nighthawk at Willow Springs Raceway draggin' knee.

And very low maintenance with hydraulic valve adjusters.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:24 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Yes, Helibars work with stock lines/cables

Originally Posted by red
Old 09-27-2008, 07:09 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Nice Nighthawk S. That was almost my first bike. I cheaped out and went with the 650 though. Hard to believe that was something like 22 years ago.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Squid

Woodytick is on a distinguished road
hey red where you at in central texas. i was stationed at ft hood for 8yrs. in korea now but will be back to hood in april 09. btw nice looking 700S. looks like it has been well taken care of.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:38 AM
red
Squid

thanks!
It runs and rides so smooth too its unreal.
Woody I am 70 miles west of Austin (about).
Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 PM
MotoGP

Red your nighthawk is beautiful. I'm sure you appreciate the differences between the bikes. It's easy to appreciate each bike for its strengths when you have a couple of them. What a great commuter! People used to raise their brows when I rolled up for a consultation on the bike. Now there's no question. They are appreciative that we still do it no charge.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:16 PM
red
Squid

thanks nuhawk. a difference between the two bikes... well said. Ive taken the super out a few more times since my initial whining about the 'new' riding postion. (remember me saying my last bike was a rex.) starting to get used to it as the fun factor is outweighing now. ha, I pulled in behind a red vette sunday on hwy.16 north ......and just followed it. this one is going to be loads of fun and that is the reason why I ride.