General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I found a rider in the ditch!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
I found a rider in the ditch!

my brother and i were driving down a black top road out in the country. i saw a base ball cap in the road and by the grace of god it got my attention. after i had passed the rider i was turned around looking and saw a badly mangled bike. i immediatly stopped the truck and ran to the ditch were the bike was when i heard a man calling for help. the man was badly hurt i ask him if he was ok and he told me he couldnt feel his legs. my brother ran a amazing 500 yard dash to the nearest house for help. the peaple there called 911 and then came running out to offer assistance. now this wreck is really bothering me cause of the relevance it has to us all. the poor man was begging me to turn him over on his back as he couldnt move even a arm. i tried to comfort him and i tried to tell him i couldnt because i might cause him further injury. he still begged me wich was really tearing me up not to oblige him. after what seemed like forever a paramedic arrived and i help them get him on the stretcher and then into the ambulance that was taking him to a waiting helecopter. this all happened this morning and i am still very much upset by what i saw. So i beg everyone to please be carfull out there and pls wear you gear as this gentilman had on none.i dont know if it would have made any difference but it cant hurt. i dont know what else to say other than be and ride safe.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:16 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
You did the right thing by not moving him. He's lucky you came by.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
wow that's crazy. That would move any one of us... glad you stopped. ride safe everyone.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:41 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
nice save on your part. who knows how long he would have laid there waiting.

great reminder to be careful, remember bikes are meant to be fun, and we aren't racing on the street. bad enough we have cars to worry about, lets not be our own worst enemies too and ride over our heads. another good reminder is to check in and read andrew trevitt's blog every once in a while
Old 05-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
sobering reality check. ya'll be safe.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:58 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Good deed on your part - it'll come back at ya down the road.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:02 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
kudos for stopping, keep us updated if you hear any more news on him.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:23 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
The "sport" lives on because of your efforts.

I hope this poor bastard is ok but be comforted in the facts - when you wear your gear. Someday you're not going to look like this.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:28 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
You are a good man. And of course we should all wear gear when we ride. A helmet will protect your skull. leather will prevent road rash. Unfortunately, if you hit something solid at speed after falling off, you are likely to be severely hurt. That's just the way it is.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:40 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
oh man, that sucks.

sure makes me think about things.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
I can't add any more than what has already been stated above. Don't let it bother you because you did well. Think about it and just remember that you helped someone in need and you're a much better person for it. What goes around, comes around. 2 years ago I came upon a guy and his bud and his bud has lost his bike in a nice tight left hand curve. I stopped and a truck behind me stopped. The guy was comforting his bud...no helmet, but a leather jacket. I asked the locals standing on the porch watching if they could call EMS and they did. Went over the the bud and he complained about his shoulder hurting, but he was upset about his bike. I told him the bike could be replaced, but he could not and he ought to be thankful that it was no worse. 2 others and myself pulled his bike off the hillside, flipped it upright and I pulled his gear shifter, mirror, and POS bolt-on highway bar back straight. He was on a large cruiser and went into the curve way too fast. The bike went down when it hit the gravels and slid up the hillside...and came to rest wheels uphill and seat downhill. I asked the guy if they were alone and he said that two more were with them, but were gone ahead ignorant of the accident. EMS arrived...I told him I was gonna ease up the road and if I saw 'em, I'd let 'em know. Many miles had gone by and I'm in some mountain road twisties when I see 'em coming. Ya know the ones...weekend warrior biker types. One was on a BMW and the other on some other high end big bike, both looking like they came off the showroom floor. I stopped before they got to me and asked them if they were looking for anyone. They said 2 more. I told 'em what happed to their bud and advised that he wasn't too bad and that EMS had just arrived before I exited. I told 'em to be careful. Folks out of their element...it was written all over their faces. Lessons to be learned. Be safe everyone. Wear your gear.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:01 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I've seen a few dented up people here and there, and can say %100 for sure you did the right thing by not moving him. I know how you feel though, it's hard not to help them out when they ask like that.

I ride by myself most of the time and being in a ditch like that where no one can see me is one of my biggest worries. So from solo riders everywhere, thank you for helping.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
You just made a big deposit into the karma bank, Good on you!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:17 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Kudos for doing the right thing.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:33 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Very cool! That would be nice if has a way of contacting you later to thank you. Plus if I was in your situation, I'd be curious to find out if he recovered. Not feeling your legs doesn't sound like a good start though.

Maybe we should carry morphine needles or some pain killers with us!
Old 06-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i plan on keeping some tabs on his recovery. i have friends that ended up being close to his family. and hopefully ill be able to report a full recovery.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Squid

ssbraun is on a distinguished road
I can SO relate...My home backs onto a long hill favored by sport-bikers for high-speed runs. Last fall at near midnight, we heard the familiar sound of a bike wailing up the hill at warp speed, followed by the sickening sound of breaking plastic. My wife and I ran out to the road (pitch black b/c of construction on the lighting system) to find a couple cars stopped, a destroyed bike, and a rider in the middle of the road face-down in an awkward position. He was breathing, but nothing else. I'm still haunted, and to this day don't know if he made it. Ride safe everyone..."risk vs. reward".