General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I bagged a deer! (gorey photos warning)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Squid

jonnyd is on a distinguished road
I bagged a deer! (gorey photos warning)

Well,
Not quite the way I should have, but yeah. This might also go in the "gear" thread... but aside from all that:

Tuesday night I decided to go for a short ride after work up to Evergreen and back (I live in Morrison, CO). Got up to Evergreen and snapped a pic of my bike at the lake, with the moon in the distance... yada yada.

On the way from Evergreen to Morrison, I passed a roofing truck/trailer at about Kittridge. This was definitely an EASY ride, just taking in everything at dusk and taking it easy watching for animals. Well, I spotted one, jumped right in front of me. Skid marks were less than 20 yards from the back tire, I wasn't going fast at all when I hit the deer. I'm not sure exactly how I hit it, I don't think I went over the bars. Right after landing, I got up and picked up the 'hawk. Caught a ride to Morrison with the roofing guys, called a buddy, got my truck, went back up to get my bike. Couldn't find the deer that night.

Drove myself to the ER, fractured tibula (in a spot they don't cast for). Nurses/docs started going crazy when they tested for compartment syndrome - which is really scary stuff. I could have lost the leg had I not gone in when I did. Really, this felt just like my leg muscle was super tight. That's about it. I know I have a super high tolerance to pain, but I had no idea this was that serious.

That night I had surgury for it where they cut two big cuts to ease the pressure (think of a hotdog in the microwave). A few days later, I got stitched up and sent home, realizing just how lucky I was.

GEAR GEAR GEAR! You can see my helmet, leather jacket took virtually no damage, jeans weren't even ripped outside of the pocket that had my phone. Otterbox on the iPhone was destroyed, but otherwise the phone is fine. I think the hawk might be done, but at any rate I guess now I get to keep an eye out for one on here!

So, a couple questions: Do they make a brushguard for the hawk? I'm not sure I want to get a beamer
And 2nd... where the hell did the *** of the deer go? Wasn't anywhere to be found, and that was 8 hours after I hit the deer. Just strange.

Oh, I guess I'm now sporting the nickname: "John Deere". I'll be back weight bearing on my feet in about 6 weeks, and looking for a bike next spring. I miss riding already, and youtube isn't the same!
Attached Thumbnails I bagged a deer!  (gorey photos warning)-img_0169.jpg   I bagged a deer!  (gorey photos warning)-img_0170.jpg   I bagged a deer!  (gorey photos warning)-img_0240.jpg   I bagged a deer!  (gorey photos warning)-img_0212.jpg   I bagged a deer!  (gorey photos warning)-img_0216.jpg  

Last edited by jonnyd; 10-24-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Squid

And a couple pics of the leg after they took off the woundvac (mechanical leeches)

For those wondering: it was an '03, had just over 18k on it (all mine) and didn't blow the engine with the CCT's
Attached Thumbnails I bagged a deer!  (gorey photos warning)-img_0255.jpg   I bagged a deer!  (gorey photos warning)-img_0257.jpg  

Last edited by jonnyd; 10-24-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:19 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Glad everything worked out as well as it did. Things could have gone much worse. Don't try to heal to fast, you have plenty of time to prowl the net for a new hawk if that's the route you choose to take.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Squid

redmanmbz is on a distinguished road
Hey, you can always get a new bike. New legs are a little tougher to come by (that work like OEM). Glad to hear that your alright.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Glad you got to the hospital in time! Wierd all it felt like was just tightness in the muscle. I honestly have never seen an assless deer like that and cant help but wonder where his butt cheeks are..
Old 10-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Back Marker

superbikemike
Since you didn't find the deer till the next day, is it possible something was eating off the *** end?
Old 10-24-2010, 03:34 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Nah your Hawk said if you are going to make me wreck I'm going to *** **** the hell out of you
Old 10-24-2010, 08:41 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Glad you survived it...even if the deer didn't. Sorry about your leg, it will heal, and your bike, like you said plenty of VTR's for sale here.

I missed a 6 or 8 point buck (sorry I didn't have time to make an accurate count) by no more than 6 to 8 feet 2 years ago last August on Sunrise Highway east of San Diego. Good thing that buck was fast...I was going about 50 mph when he crossed my path, with my wife following on her SV.

Look on the bright side (easy for me to say, right?). At least it happened near the end of the riding season for you in Colorado. There's plenty of time to find a good one before next Spring.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
I think the gory photos are the ones of your leg. Who gives a f*"k about the deer? Glad to see you'll survive this vicious attack by Mother Nature.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by superbikemike
Since you didn't find the deer till the next day, is it possible something was eating off the *** end?
Could have been, but buddy that snapped the photo said there weren't any other remains anywhere near (like something ate it and drug parts off)

Thanks for the well wishes! Really, not much to do but look on the bright side, I mean, how many people hit a deer and live?

I think the actual scariest part of the whole ordeal was learning what compartment syndrome was, and that most people with it (if not caught in time) lose limbs.

As far as where the *** of that deer might have gone... I never found my headlight housing either. Although I'm sure, both were in many, many pieces.

Last edited by jonnyd; 10-25-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Glad you survived the experience, a shame the VTR looks worse for wear - Interesting with the compartment syndrome and how you wobbled on not noticing the extent of your injury. Did your leg get crushed by the weight of the bike / or take a glancing blow against wee ex-beastie? which would account for the bunken tibula.

My nearest experience was getting side swiped at a x-roads which shunted me across the road - amazingly I didn't come off and so I pulled up further up the road, parked up and walked back to checked if the car driver was okay. They were in shock and needed attention. Thankfully my SIDI armoured boot had done a brilliant job, and despite the right hand side of my Storm getting caved in I was able to play cricket that afternoon.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Way to Survive, We have some matching scars- Sorry about your s-hawk.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:56 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
that is nasty. compartment syndrome is very easy to miss. Usually its quite painful, but that is initially then as the nerves get compressed you start to loose feeling so the pain goes away a bit. by then its getting late. Always good to get checked out.

I hate deer - at nite I have taken to mostly not riding, or if I do following behind a car - though that has its own problems and sometimes deer run after a car passes.

Maybe it was on the side of road and then run over a couple time by other vehicles/trucks and shredded the back end would be my guess.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Squid

wshski is on a distinguished road
Not to steal John's post, but I went down 3 weeks ago (on the VTX, not the VTR) Thought I just had a sprained thumb, went a week before the wife and friends nagging made me go get an xray. Broken thumb, didn't really hurt either. Had to put a plate in, Doc said bone was crushed. In a soft splint now for another 3 weeks. So don't hesitate to check any injury out. John, I feel for you, and hope you heal up soon, but don't push it. Take care and keep us updated.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Ive ridden through there a bunch! glad you're ok! was that the fairing i sold you?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Über Member
Superstock

justinity is on a distinguished road
Wow I almost hit one in a dump truck, I couldn't imagine hitting one on a SH....
Are you parting out the bike?
If so I need a clutch cover.
Get well soon fellow SHer.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Squid

bakerstmuse is on a distinguished road
My wife got T-boned by a deer in her Subaru last year, 45 mph at 2:30 in the afternoon in the middle of town. The damn thing hit her, definitely not the other way round. Made a mess of both the car and deer. Lucky you weren't going that fast on your SH. As far as it's rear end goes, scavenger birds like crows and magpies will make quick work of a fresh road kill and not leave a mess behind or much of a sign they were even there, unlike the mountain lion that carried my buddies 5x5 buck 20 yards uphill and proceeded to eat HALF of it before dawn. Glad you're on the mend. Good luck on the new SH search.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
Sorry about your leg, i hope you heal up fast.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
Ive ridden through there a bunch! glad you're ok! was that the fairing i sold you?
It was and now, I seriously could mail it back to you in many little envelopes.

As for parting it out, I was still paying off the bike so it's going to a shop and insurance is getting involved. I'll probably have to look for another one, ever fairing was hit, the exhaust can on the right, well, pretty much everything on the right, and I'm not sure what else damage there is. Still sorting out insurance and hospital stay. Not sure if I'll have parts to part out if they total it. First time I've ever had to claim insurance on an accident.

Thanks for the well wishes, I'll keep you all updated after I take the bike to the shop for the fixit quote.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Squid

Update:

Bike is totalled. They found over $8k in damage on a bike that I'm getting $3.5k for. I don't think I'm getting the option to re-buy it back as it's already been pulled to a yard. I'll collect up what few pieces I have for it and list them here, believe me its not much.
Another cool but weird thing: My riding gear was insured too - I got $250 for the helmet (almost full price) but they couldn't give me more than $200 for the leather riding jacket? Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that I got anything for gear, props to Allstate.

As for the leg: I'm walking fine for the most part. It will be another few weeks before I try to ice skate and I won't miss out on snowboarding season. Scars are healing up pretty nice. My kingdom for something that itches but won't tear skin apart! I've thought about just saying F it and getting a belt sander, itches under scars SUCK.

I'll still be lurking around here from time to time, this bike is definitely one of a kind and IMO the best bike for me.

Anyway, was the most fun 18,022 miles I've had thus far. Looking forward to many more with another bike in the future!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Squid

trident00 is on a distinguished road
Glad your alright. I know the areas you were riding very well. I used to live in the Littleton/Ken Caryl area and ride up there.

Cheers, Walt
Old 11-27-2010, 07:25 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jonnyd
Update:Bike is totalled. They found over $8k in damage on a bike that I'm getting $3.5k for. I don't think I'm getting the option to re-buy it back as it's already been pulled to a yard. !
I would argue that price telling them that the bike can't be replaced for that price as in, find me another low mileage superhawk in pristine condition and I'll be satisfied. If not give me $2500 and my bike back. If you don't make a case for yourself, you get what they give you, but those of us who resist, usually get concessions.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:07 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
I would argue that price telling them that the bike can't be replaced for that price as in, find me another low mileage superhawk in pristine condition and I'll be satisfied. If not give me $2500 and my bike back. If you don't make a case for yourself, you get what they give you, but those of us who resist, usually get concessions.
I may argue the settlement but I'm not sure I would argue parting with the bike. A bike that has been through this kind of crash is not trustworthy given the prices of available replacements. There's also the mental issue of moving on after a severe or life-threatening crash.

I rebuilt after my '07 wreck and I'm not sure it's the best therapy. The frustration of finding parts, freaks on ebay, only to buy enough parts to assemble three Superhawk front ends. It's not worth it. I almost bought a Silver '03 in Dallas and the guy begged me to do so. Sweet deal. Now I would jump at it.

The leg will make constant progress as long as you take good care of your excercise and diet. Give yourself time to get the bike thing straight in your head.

You can go buy a bike tomorrow and be just fine. You will see deer jumping out at you for the next 30 months.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:39 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
I may argue the settlement but I'm not sure I would argue parting with the bike. A bike that has been through this kind of crash is not trustworthy given the prices of available replacements. There's also the mental issue of moving on after a severe or life-threatening crash.

I rebuilt after my '07 wreck and I'm not sure it's the best therapy. The frustration of finding parts, freaks on ebay, only to buy enough parts to assemble three Superhawk front ends. It's not worth it. I almost bought a Silver '03 in Dallas and the guy begged me to do so. Sweet deal. Now I would jump at it.

The leg will make constant progress as long as you take good care of your excercise and diet. Give yourself time to get the bike thing straight in your head.

You can go buy a bike tomorrow and be just fine. You will see deer jumping out at you for the next 30 months.

you may be right dependent on some variables. I put mine back together after an 80-90mph get-off because i loved the bike, knew I took good care of it, figured that the frame wasn't bent. I knew the forks,triples, pegs, pipes, and all the bodywork was trashed, but i had a plan. I figured i'd buy an xr650l to ride while I was getting the hawk back together(including the application for a reconstructed title and state inspection).

I wasn't gonna get stressed with the rebuild because I had another bike to ride so i could take my time and do it at my own pace. Took me a year or so to get it done but no hurry and enjoyed the experience. Worked out well for me but to each his own.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
It is good to know that you will come out of this mishap a whole person!

I also had a deer collision back in '92 while riding the old '82 Magna. It had a vetter fairing and saddlebags mounted, which took most of the damage. Some road rash in various places was all that I suffered.

Anyway, you are now a member of a club that nobody wants to join... the 'Moto Deer Hunters'.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:22 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I'm glad to hear you're up n' at em'.

What flip-up helmet were you wearing? Did you hit chin first or what, and while it did its job apparently, where did it "break"?

Deer are scary & unpredictable creatures. I've had a few close calls. One time I missed one at speed by inches.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
John Deere, glad to hear you're okay bro! I jumped one a couple of months ago around 5pm heading home on a back road and decided to slow down and watch where it ended up going and sure enough it came right out in the road crossing it and then going back across it right in front of me. They are more dangerous then a soccer mom in an SUV on a cell phone while doing her make-up!

If you need another SH let me know if you ever get down to Florida
RC

Last edited by FL02SupaHawk996; 12-14-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spell
Old 12-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Squid

kevinkevin426 is on a distinguished road
I plowed into a deer a couple of years ago

This is my first bike a 1993 VFR, notice the partially digested grass...f'n deer
Attached Thumbnails I bagged a deer!  (gorey photos warning)-vfr750-wreck2.jpg   I bagged a deer!  (gorey photos warning)-vfr750-wreck1.jpg  
Old 01-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Squid

r80gsman is on a distinguished road
glad u survived. i just had a crash in a car and the buy back was only 200$ i believe the law state that u can retain your property with a reasonable settlement. the bike sound like a good parts bike or a upgrade machine...

the guys i rode with in PA, a state were deer cause problems, use the wistlers under the font fairing and loud pipes.. deer have directional hearing, they need a constant sound to identify direction.. i have kinda field test this with cars/dirtbikes and whistles. when i live in PA (rural) one is as likely to hit a deer than shoot one on a hunting trip.. that how common they are. i found that in a large field, 400acers. with deer close to the center that if u walked around he outer edge with a whistle and blew it once as u walked they would run in a circular pattern when they are spooked, only when a constant sound was used would they run off in one direction..

my diesel truck with the turbo baffle out would whistle constant, i notice that then i approached roadside deer they would run in one direction... my wife's bmw 325 would confuse them and they would run in a circular pattern round about on to the road or back onto the road. we hit and almost hit a deer once a week in that car till i got whistlers and would hold the horn down when i saw them till they were gone...

also found that riding at dusk and night till about midnite, ride slower and in the middle of the road, this is when they move the most.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Back Marker

gixxerjohn is on a distinguished road
did you at least keep the deer and eat it?

glad your ok... could have been WAY worse off

Quick Reply: I bagged a deer! (gorey photos warning)