General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

How's the ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:19 PM
dan
Squid

dan
Re: How's the ride

In my opinion and compared with other similar bikes the super hawk is the type of bike that you can ride long distances with out much discomfort, I normally get a little stiff after about 1 and half to hours but the fuel range is pretty limited so you normally stop and rest around about that sort of time anyway hope this helps

Dan
Old 05-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk

After only 1 hr, I'd give it a 9+
The limiting factor for me is the seat but it only 'begins' to be a problem after 1½ hrs
Old 05-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk

Originally Posted by ekathryn86";p=&quot
Good deal. I'm trying to convince my dad that since he and I are completely different builds that since he may not like the riding style of the crotch, that with my youth, weight, and riding ability that I would not have too much discomfort.

Besides after about an hour/hour and a half of riding it's time to get off and get something to eat or drink anyways.

He also thinks it's too much bike for me as well. But I drive his 99 Shadow Spirit 1100 with ease and that sucker weighs a good 550lbs, give or take a few.
Remember, Dads' are frequently right (especially when it's close to fathers day) ;-) ... Find a Hawk to sit on to be sure you like the basic feel of the bike but don't forget it's a fairly high torque bike and that may be what your Dad is concerned about.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:51 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I can pretty much ride it all day w/no problem. Sure I'm tired but, hey, I'm no spring chicken either!

I think part of the key is riding a lot...getting in riding shape, so to speak. Five years ago my wrists used to hurt after the first 1/2 hour and my throttle hand would go numb. I almost never have those problems now.
Back then I probably had a death grip on the bars! Now I consciously work at being loose on the bike. Rolling the shoulders to limber them up. Letting my hands just sorta fall on the grips & letting the fingers relax. Now the mind, that's another matter. Must be sharp...taking in all the environment in all directions. Ready to act.

Ok, now to stir it up. Sorry Katheryn. Men's underwear I find very uncomfortable for riding any distance. Too many seams & special features built into them I guess. No, I don't wear women's u-trou, but I did find a pair of women's athletic shorts made of 95% cotton/ 5% spandex. I turn them inside out to put the seams on the outside. They work great under my Firstgear riding pants. Ok, you're laughing right? Seriously, try it.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:11 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Mine has heli bars and a sargent seat.

a definite 9 out of 10, compared to other sportsbikes.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Squid

mhutch
lol Yes I am laughing. Wonderful mental picture. I've sat on several before and found it to be quite comfortable.

With 12 years riding experience I think I should get a little bit of confidence from the padre. Also the shear fact that I'm 5'7 and a whopping 115ish.

If I could find a good 750 with a v-twin I'd be all for it. But research shows that even Honda's 781 is a V-4, weighs 50 pounds more than the Hawk, and is about a grand more. Did I mention they were hidious as well?

A few friends of mine are trying to talk me into any F series. Mainly an F4i or F2, but I'm not so sure about that. I'm too fasinated with the v-twins.
Once you go twin you never go???

5'7"? I think you need to look at a lowering option. I am 5'10" and the stock seat makes it a one footer at lights. I got a Sargent seat which makes it two sets of toes so I think that 2 inches would make a diggerence.

Comments on height?

Have you looked at the Duc Monsters?
Old 05-12-2005, 06:52 AM
SuperBike

I'm 5'8" & have no problem w/ the 'Hawk, at 5'7" you should be OK. Plus, if you've been riding 12 years then you've been riding dirt bikes, right? Them things are tall in the saddle... you'll have no problem.

My previous bike was a Katana 600, which is considered by many to be a "beginners bike". However, the Katana is heavier & harder to handle, plus it's top heavy. The Super Hawk is much easier in that respect.
And yeah the "Hawk is powerful, but it's easy to ride. The power is easy to use smoothly...not like some IL4s that you have to wildly rev the hell out of to get anywhere. Get the "Hawk & then be smart, smooth & controlled. Go twins!

Oh yeah, and red fastest color, followed by yellow!
Old 05-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Squid

Oppenheimer

It sounds like you are looking specifically for a Honda. Nothing wrong with that, but if you have your heart set on a v-twin sport(y) bike, and want something more 750 sized, you might want to look at the Suzuki SV650 (or SV650s). Its not a 750, but its not slow for a 650, either. Plus at 115 lbs you won't be holding it back any.

If it absolutely, positively has to be a Honda, and a v-twin, there is the older NT-650 Hawk. Its not very sporty looking, but it has a cult following for a reason, it handles great (though stock its not very fast power wise).
Old 05-12-2005, 10:03 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

The difference between a shadow 1100 and a vtr 1000 is like a motorhome to a sports car. I've ridden both.

The VTR is definitely NOT a first sport bike and I agree with the above poster. The SV650 would be a MUCH better fit for you. The bike kicks ***. Insurance is less, range is way longer, its more user friendly, its lighter, huge aftermarket and community, and shockingly, its only slightly slower than the vtr. The VTR is a heavy torquey beast compared to it.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:37 PM
SuperBike

Norrth & Oppenheimer are right about the SV650. That's a great bike...lighter, great handling, nice price. Plenty of aftermarket support.

And it's a legit v-twin sport bike. If you can ride, you will not be left behind on this bike!

And they look cool w/ a lower fairing (to me).

Plus they sound really deep & sweet with an aftermarket exhaust. It would be worth a look on ebay just to see what they sell for & get an idea what's out there.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

Kathryn
How about we look at this a different way:

Instead of just shouting out suggestions, why dont you give us some more info about what you are looking for. We will see if what you want matches what you would get with the superhawk. That way we can give better advise and in turn help you make an informed decision.

Why are you considering a superhawk? What are the features (IL4, V-twin, Carbs, reliability, maintance costs, aftermarket support, etc...) that you are looking for in a motorcycle? What other motorcycles are you considering? Are you going to be using the bike on the track, for touring, back road blasting?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:40 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

They're not rare around these parts. Of the 10 bikes I went out riding with last Monday, 3 of them were VTR's.

With regards to Honda vs Suzuki reliability the Hawk does have a couple of issues, regulator rectifiers (mine went) and the cam chain tensioners go. I know of no issues with the SV.

As far as comfort goes, my *** starts to murder me after about an hour and half so I bought a Sargent and its a little better. My wrists dont hurt but the palms of my hand ache and go numb. That goes away after a while, anyway I bought VFR bars so its a none issue.

The SV is extremely flickable easy to ride and ride well. I bet you will be able to ride it better than you ever will the SH. Also there is no range issue, easier to double and lots of storage under the easily accessable passenger seat.

If I was to buy a daily rider it would be an SV. However, I want a more extreme, testosterone'y mount because I'm only going to use it for short entertainment only blasts and the Superhawk fits that bill better.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

Kathryn

I didnt mean to come across as demeaning, sorry if I gave that impression

It sounds like you have very good reasons to be looking at a superhawk. Thank you for providing some more info.

"The reason I like the Superhawk is because it's rare" down here that is true. I have only seen 2 others down here (excluding bikeweek and biketoberfest).

If I may comment. You mentioned that your a suzuki and honda fan. The TL-S comes to mind. The benifit is more HP 130, and fuel injection. I personally havn't riden one, but would love to! I think that this bike would be a bit of a hand full for me though, and I have been riding for 10 years now.

Another bike, the SV650. I had the oppertunity to ride one for 3 days and put about 200 miles on one. You have the V-Twin grunt and sound, micron cans sound great on one. You dont have the fuel range issue.

This bike is incredible, very light, corners well. WIth the right rider the SV will challenge the superhawk through the corners and it would be pretty damn close on the straights. Your not going to grow out of this bike in a year or two. Lets not forgit that there are a bunch of companys making aftermarket parts for the SV.

I have to agree with norrth "If I was to buy a daily rider it would be an SV".

Out of all the bikes that I have ever ridden the SV has been the most fun.

Last but not least the superhawk. Very light, great torque and good horsepower. Stock 30ish for gas milage. With a set of slip ons and a jet kit the gas milage goes up into the 40's. Its carborated, cheap to change the jets.

Dont get me wrong I plan on keeping mine for a LONG TIME. Sometimes she has a bit too much power. When its raning and I am going aroud corners I have to back off, otherwise a rear tire slide or a rolling burnout will occur.

I think that there are few riders that can really exploit the superhawk to its fullest potential.

Ride a smaller bike and when you can fully exploit it then move to a bigger bike. Just my .02 cents. Am I wrong here?
Old 05-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

"I just don't want an SV because everyone and their mother has one"

I understand. That is part of the appeal of having a "rare" bike. Fair warning you will become a bike snob after a while. When I ask someone what they ride and they say CBR or gixer I try not to role my eyes.

Dont get me wrong they are nice bikes, my first bike was an 89 CBR "Hurricane" (a lot of fun) but there are 4 million of them around here.

"yea the SV is a great bike as everyone says but I'm not feeling it. I couldn't ride a bike I didn't truly like"

I totaly understand. When the superhawk came out it blew me away. I lusted after the shawks and the tl-s's. A couple years later (when I had the $) I bought the hawk.

I bought a bike that I lusted for, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I think everyone should buy what they lusted after as a kid.

Boy that line made me sound a lot older than I am......... only 26
Old 05-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Squid

Boodler

Originally Posted by divingindaytona";p=&quot
When I ask someone what they ride and they say CBR or gixer I try not to role my eyes.

You mentioned the slip ons and jet kit increases mileage.
The slip ons is the exhaust, am i right?
And what is the jet kit?
How do they increase the mpg figure and how much they cost?

Only asking becasue my biggest concern with the SH is it's mpg figure.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

Yes slip ons are the exhaust.

For the superhawk there are 2 differnt styles of exhaust the "full system" or "slip ons".

A full system replaces the from where the exhaust meets with the cyl head and the muffler.

Generaly speaking the slip ons cost less and sound good. The stock exhaust is restrictive.

this should tell you a bit more http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/exhaust_sportbike.asp

The jet kit, goes in the carbs. It helps fine tune the carbs. The jet kit makes the carbs work moe efficiently.

With my bike there was a flat spot as soon as it hit about 8K. The jet kit took away the flat spot. I learned all that I could before buying my jet kit (about $100). Everyone says that the factory jet kit is easier to install and tune than the dynojet jet kit.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk

Nope, not wrong at all. I just don't want an SV because everyone and their mother has one. As I've said previously, I've always, always ridden red. Minor problems easily fixed.

I've got my heart set on an SH, I'm stubborn and very hard headed. Done research, yea the SV is a great bike as everyone says but I'm not feeling it. I couldn't ride a bike I didn't truly like.
Kathryn, I think most everyone here understands what you mean when you say you have your heart set on a bike. Some of the members here have had a few bikes that didn't have the Soul that the SH does and we can somewhat relate to why you might want one. In the Feb/05 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News an article by Mark Barnes sums up how some uf us Hawk riders feel. I scanned it in for those folks here who haven't seen it. MCN is a very worthwhile publication and my favorite bike subscription, sometimes an article really hits home like this.

Heart & Soul ....

Whatever you decide to purchase this time be safe and you will eventually gain the experience to find that bike that fits you and your riding style.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Squid

Retro
Kathryn,

I picked up my SH a month ago and haven't looked back. I bought the SH as my commuter bike (30miles each way) and the only complaint I have so far is the bar issues that others have mentioned. I'm swapping for a set of helibars soon.

I looked at the RC, GSX-R and the Busa when I was looking, but the V-Twin low end torque sold me over the I-4s and the more comfortable ride sold me over the RC. Also, the sound of the single-pin with D&Ds is kick @ss! A guy at my local paint store asked me what I was riding and I told him. He asked if I was running D&Ds and I said yep. He said "I could hear you coming a block away and knew that it had to be a twin with D&Ds". Turns out he had an RC in the back with D&Ds, so he was familiar with the tone.

It's a great bike and if you're looking for another Red, I'd say go for it!! Mileage is a bit on the low side, but I also love the fact that it's carbureted so I can work on it myself. My buddy has a Busa and ever time he makes exhaust changes, airbox mods, etc....he has to have it remapped to get max performance.

Anyway, good luck in your hunt from another "Red rider" (as you can see from the bikes in my sig)!

Ride safe!
Old 05-15-2005, 04:54 AM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point

that VT1100 shadow might be lucky to break 50hp at the rear wheel. The VTR will easily be double that. It is much taller than the shadow, and has quicker steering.

I would have to go along with the SV vote. get one, and ride it, you will love it. You can always get a FIRESTORM later on, plus it will give your poor old dad some peace of mind.

also, my *** hurts and my right hand goes numb on long rides.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Squid

Retro
Yep...my ACE is at 52hp with a K&N and exhaust mods. It may not have the git up and go that the SH has, but I'm not sure I would even attempt a 1,000 mile ride on the SH. the ACE, on the other hand, is comfy as can be for the long haul.

Each bike definitely has their pros and cos, that's why I keep one of each

Ride safe!
Old 05-15-2005, 07:41 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Retro";p=&quot
but I'm not sure I would even attempt a 1,000 mile ride on the SH.
I just did a 4day 1650 mile trip on mine last month. It just needs a "little" help in the usual areas: seat, bars, throttle lock, lower pegs, higher screen, larger tank....
Old 05-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

What can I say besides welcome to the family :wink:

You will love the bike and I hope to see pics of your new ride soon!!

Quick Reply: How's the ride