General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

How old were you...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:59 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Hope this thread gives you a quick reminder of how we all started this passion we call "riding". Good stories. Share them with anyone who will listen.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
First ride at age 15 in 1969: Honda step-through 50cc that I borrowed.
First bike that I owned: Kawasaki 100 Trail Boss.
I wasn't legally licensed for the road until 1972.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Squid

broncsrule21 is on a distinguished road
My parents bought me a Yamaha GT 80 when I was 7 or 8 years old. My cousins had the faster YZ 80s, so I prefered to ride those. At 18 I bought a new 89 250 Ninja, got my MC endorsement on that. In 1990 I traded the little Ninja in for a factory left-over 86 GSXR750. Kept that bike for about ten years. After marriage and my first child I regretably sold the Gixxer to a friend. After a couple years I got the itch again and bought a Bandit 1200. A sudden move to Colorado forced me to sell the Bandit. Now I beleive I am going to buy my first Honda. These Superhawks sure seem nice, hopefully I can get a test ride soon.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
I started riding dirt bikes and quads around 8yrs old. Got my motorcycle endorsment and my first bike at 18. It was a 1984 honda sabre 700( VF700S) good lil bike. Have ridden many bikes since that and am very happy with my hawk.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
1st ride was on a tiny off-brand 50cc minibike at about 5 years old. It was my 1st bike as well. My step dad was a flat track and enduro racer so we all started young and rode frequently in my family.

Got my moto permit for the street at age 15.5 (before my car license). 1st street bike was a Honda SL100.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Bytes
Back Marker

Bytes is on a distinguished road
1981 CB 900F

Bought it brand new... I rode it off the show room floor. Second best bike I have ever owned, second only to the hawk. Took a trip down the Pacific coast highway on it. Memories I will never forget. Everyone told me I was dumb as hell to start on that bike (it was one of the top sport tourers in its day) because I would kill myself on it. I learned to ride fast by taking it down to the local mall with a huge parking lot at night and setting up an imaginary race course. It was well lit and you didn't need to worry about traffic. By the time I was done we had a bunch of guys on there gs 1100s and kz 1100s down there doing time trials. The cops left us alone.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
I first rode a few dirtbikes with my friends when I was around 15-16. They were little 95cc's but they were fun toolin around behind my buddies house at the power lines. I decided I wanted a bike so I bought my first bike when I was 19 after my first year of college. I also got my license endorsement within the same month...

And that bike, of which I still own and ride today is.... listed in my sig
Old 08-07-2010, 10:17 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
By the way Im 23 now and have been very close to selling it many times.. some of you may have seen it on boston craigslist recently but i just cant part with it...
Old 08-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Back Marker

Camelninja is on a distinguished road
How old were you when you first rode a motorcycle? 20
You know, the very first time you got on one and rode it or at least tried to.

How old were you when you got your first bike? 20
What was it, a dirt bike, street bike, scooter or ATV? Street Bike, Suzuki Marauder 800

How old were you when you got your motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license? 22 or 23
Old 08-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
First rode at 20 a Honda CG125. First bike endorsement at 23 on a Yam XT250.

I just realized that the friend who rode my first bike home for me in 1980, the CG125, also rode the Firestorm home for me in 2009! The only two Hondas I have owned.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
20 years old when I rode my first bike. It was an old Kawa KZ 750 I think, didn't own one for myself till I was 29, it was a 1990 Katana 600
Old 08-07-2010, 01:12 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
We lost my Dad when I was young to a heart attack. Couple years later, his WWII buddies decide they are going to resurrect the old municipal airport by sharing a Fixed-Base Operator with another small town. The place was in shambles but nothing that a mower and a broom couldn't fix. Everything was working out fine, the operator agreed to terms, they propped me up as the local helper (the widow's kid needs help) and arrangements were made for the FBO to fly in for giving lessons to new students from the area.

Problem was everybody had a job back then. (imagine that) Nobody was available to take me out to open at 0800. My Dad's best friend had a Cushman Eagle that was just sitting so he brought it over with the idea "it was to work and home - nothing more."

I was fourteen at the time. He prevailed upon the local cops to look the other way until I could get my scooter license when I was fifteen. A year later I got my pilot's license on my 16th birthday and a few months after that got my car license. The next year I bought my first Harley. 1969

The next decade was filled with bikes, including trials, hotrods, and aircraft until a tornado took out the hanger and the aircraft in it (thank God the hotrod wasn't in there too because that's where I kept it) and shortly after that my stepdad had a heart attack costing him his license to fly.

Business ownership, family, and 4wheelers kept me off bikes until my son was 16. His Mom bought him an F4 two weeks before I bought my Superhawk. I got my first motorcycle endorsement when I was 56.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Squid

cales98hawk is on a distinguished road
I was about 10, my uncle found an old Benelli mini enduro 65 in a barn they were tearing down. My dad got it up and running. I rode it till it was dead. After that alot of small dirt and street bikes.

I got my motorcyle endorsement about 6 months after I turned 16 with out my parents knowing. I bought a 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 from a preacher for $150, put tires on it, cleaned the carbs and I was riding. Went through 3 sets of tires my first summer on 2 wheels. The rectifier was bad and you could only ride till the battery was dead. So I wouldn't use the electric start to save the battery. I impressed alot people kicking that 4cylinder over only weighing about 115lbs.

Sine I have had a handful of various CB's, Kz's, 2 katana's, 1 ex500, 1 07 zzr600, 1 92 fzr1000, and a superhawk.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Squid

ima98chickenhawk is on a distinguished road
My first bike is a 98 super hawk got it yesterday. What's a motorcycle endorsement?
Old 08-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
How old were you when you first rode a motorcycle?

I was 19 and in North Dakota with the military. A friend had a 400cc bike and as I was riding the clutch wire snapped and launched me off the bike. Took a scrape down the whole right side of my body. It healed

How old were you when you got your first bike? I was 35 and living in Washington, DC. I guess I got it because the now ex didn't want me to have it and I was living 9 miles from work as a medic.

What was it, a dirt bike, street bike, scooter or ATV? It was a street bike, a 1984 Honda 700 Nighthawk. Great beginner bike and fast if it needed to be. Rode it along with a doc (Hyabusa) and communications guy (VStar) at DC. We all worked for Children's Hospital in DC on the transport team.

How old were you when you got your motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license? 33, when I got my first bike. My dad kept telling me it was too dangerous but then was happy when I took the safety course. The SH would be my first sportbike with a Magna in the garage that I am slowly fixing up.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:52 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road

How old were you when you got your first bike? 25

What was it, a dirt bike, street bike, scooter or ATV? scooters and ATVs don't count as motorcycles. I had an ATV prior to my first bike. First bike was a 450 suzuki street bike.

How old were you when you got your motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license? 37. I was technically illegal until then.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Squid

FinalBoss is on a distinguished road
Dad took me riding around the block on his Jupiter 250, old Russian bike. Got pulled over by a cop for no helmet, Dad got chewed out. That was the first time, I still remember it like it was yesterday, I think I was 6 or 7.

First bike was a beat to **** 1993 ZX6E at 18, I fixed it up and restored it, I rode that thing through all sorts of weather, then sold it for $500 more than I bought it to a pair of girls. Around the same time I also picked up a 1998 Yamaha Vstar 650 and while working on the ZX6 I rode that around, put 30k miles between the two bikes in the 1st year.

After that got a brand new 2005 GSXR1000, a little silly considering I was 19 at the time but it worked out ok (I survived). Had that for over 5 years, sold it a few months ago. Now I have a Superhawk and ZX12R, bought both this year.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Dad use to put me in his lap-my feet on the handle bars-and me holding on to the pleats of his jeans as we rode 1973 Triumph trophy trails(that was 1975) i was 4yrs old. My first bike 1969 Z50 -I was 6yrs.old. - (8yrs)1970 SL 70 (10yrs)xr75-ridin' the local dirt tracks, (14)CR80 (16)CR125- Then(18)an endorsement to get in trouble-CBR600 (a few accidents, enough accumulation of points on my license to lose privilages until 26yrs old. So i joined the services(Marnies)CH-53 crew chief.. So 1994 back a civilian," GOT MY License back- Bought a new 1994 CBR 900rr and went to college. Two degrees and alot of miles later. Own a whole bunch(5) of Honda V-Twins..

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 08-07-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
first ride: neighborhood mini bike - age 8
first bike: about 10, honda z50, then some honda XL bikes. riding ever since
First endorsement: 16

great thread!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Rode an old Rupp mini-bike when I was 7.

40 years later and I'm still at it.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Squid

helimd is on a distinguished road
Great post! I started out at 7 or 8 on a Briggs powered minibike. My mom used to hate having to replace my tennis shoes (toes ground down due to the endless wheelies). Graduated to a step-thru Honda 90 when I was 13. Since then (45 years later) I have had most of them, including my latest loves, the Hawk, a mint condition '97 Ducati 916, and my Suzuki VX800. I roadraced professionally back in the 70's and went thru TZ-250's, TZ-750's, Kawasaki and Harley 250 roadracers, and, believe it or not, a Honda 6 cylinder that I rode in a couple of 12 hour endurance races. A true beast. Loved the H-1 and H-2 Kawasaki's, although both were hard on plugs. Lots of good memories. Never had an MC endorsement, but am going to use the VTR to get one here in Oklahoma.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:33 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
my uncles taught me how to peddle before I could walk. (seriously) they never put much emphasis on steering tho, so at 3 I decided that the cellar steps and concrete basement floor were no match for me. good thing kids are bendable. anyway, at 3 my uncle used to give me rides around the yard on his 72' ts 185 suzuki enduro. when I turned 13, I inheritted the very same bike from my uncles as my first dirtbike. I could still remember the smell from when I was little.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Squid

iyaoyas98 is on a distinguished road
Around 4-5 was my first ride on an older buddies little 70 cc dirtbike. We would be gone on it all day during the summer.

I got a 125 cc in a 80cc Suzuki frame from my dad when i was 9. I loved that thing.

Got my endorsement a the same time I got my license at 16. I ran through some Suzuki 650's and 900's before getting a Yama FZR600 in 97. Fun bike that really opened my eyes..
Old 08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
I was about 10 and got a Honda CL100. I chopped it all up and made it into a dirt bike. My dad was pissed. Rode a lot of friends bikes, an old Elsinore 125, 80cc Yamaha dirt bike (can't remember exact model). Next bike was a Yamaha DT175 bored .40 over that came in boxes to me. Put it all together and it worked. I suppose I was 12 or 13 then. Moved on up to YZ series racers, enduros and my last bike before this one was an old '84 Interceptor.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Back Marker

t99ford is on a distinguished road
I can clearly remember sitting cross legged on the tank of our neighbor's Kaw (unsure what size) and blasting up a ditch when I was 2 and a half. It was 1984, and the bike was purple (read awesome). I don't remember much else about the ride. After that was a string of dirt bikes from when I was 6 to 10. I would ride with my dad on his 250 Suzuki. Sometimes it was so steep he would yell at me to hang out over the front wheel to keep it on the ground! He blew up two dirt bikes with me on board...no helmets, great times. I had a Honda 100 dirt bike after that and rode it until it died.

My first street bike was the Yam XS1100, i got it and my endorsement at 25. Had only it until the SuperHawk now!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:50 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road

Me solo...... 8 or so, mini bikes and Honda trail 90,

How old were you when you got your first bike?
Later at 15 first street bike, friends 1976 DT125.. I bought it from him a few months later. Seized with in months and bought a CB550Four SS.. from another friend..My 1st REAL street bike.

How old were you when you got your motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license?
16, June 17 1981
I grew up around road racers, then later off road racers who used to be road racers.

So thats what I did.. if the "older guys" (like 19-25) were header to Sears Point, thats where I went, if the were headed to a District 37 Hair and Hound race thats where I went.. Had at least one bike every day of my life since I was 15...

Had it not been for bikes, I would be dead, in jail or worse...
Old 08-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I was 15 when I first rode (I never rode dirt bikes). My dad got a Ninja 250 for me to learn on when I got my drivers permit. I then moved on to his Nighthawk 750.

I got my motorcycle endorsement as soon as I could, at 16.

The first bike that was all "mine" was the Superhawk, after college and finally with enough money to afford one. The plan was to ride the 'hawk until I could afford the bike I wanted, but now the bike I want is the Superhawk, so that worked out well.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Flatlander
Squid

flatlander is on a distinguished road
First time I rode I was 5 and it was on my cousin's old Honda mini-trail 50. Started off with my dad walking behind holding onto the back of the seat to keep me upright. I was doing fine until I looked back and saw that he stopped holding me up without me realizing it and I was all on my own!

Rode dirtbikes and raced motocross growing up, got my motorcycle license at 16 on my dad's 83 Honda VT500 Ascot. Rode that to school alot.

After breaking a few bones, sold the mx bike and got the SH when I was 19 thinking it would be a slightly less dangerous way to enjoy motorcycling. But increasingly frequent encounters with texting/distracted cagers has me convinced otherwise.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Wrench Bender
Squid

mhaisten is on a distinguished road
My first bike was a 1978 Honda XR75. I rode it every day for the next couple of years.
Got my motorcycle permit at 15.5 on a GS450E.
Lost my license at 19 for getting 24 tickets in less than 6 months on my 1987 GSXR1100.
Had many bikes along the way, but the Superhawk is my first "sportbike" since the GSXR. Took 20 years to convince myself I could behave. So far so good.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Flatlander
Squid

flatlander is on a distinguished road
BTW, I'm 26 now. Had the SH for 7 years or so and it's been a great bike.

Quick Reply: How old were you...?