General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

How long is the riding season where you live?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:11 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
How long is the riding season where you live?

I'm considering relocating from San Diego, and I'm curious about the riding weather in other parts of the country. Particularly vermont/upstate NY area, but let's just get all parts of the country in one thread. I'm actually heading out there again this weekend to go skiing and of course see how miserable it is in the wintertime.

Storing vehicles in the garage all winter is a foreign idea to me as I've lived in various parts of SoCal all my life.

Here in San Diego, riding season is 365 days/yr with exception of the rare rainstorm, and at worst when some of the mountain roads get snow and mudslides, or when weather is in the low 40s up there. I commute to work and downtown almost daily, unless I have to haul stuff to a jobsite, or if the weather sucks. Bikes actually are more convenient than cars here, because you can lanesplit and parking is easy and free.

Tell us how long your riding season is, what you do with the bike during the offseason for storage, maintenance, insurance, or if you have the mods and desire to brave the elements and road salt.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:16 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
South Florida... Rains in the afternoon in the summer and a little chilly sometimes in the winter, but that's being really spoiled after living here awhile. Downside is the only turns are the on and off ramps and the roads, traffic, and drivers basically suck down here. Used to love to commute because of the insane traffic. Lanesplitting is illegal here although I always did it anyway, not so much on highways but in long traffic jams at lights and intersections.

Last edited by captainchaos; 03-17-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I grew up in upstate and lived there or vermont from age 0-26, riding road bikes since 16. I could always ride in april and almost always be reliably riding till halloween. anything before or after was hit or miss and even some of the weeks in early april/late october could be sketchy depending on your dedication. Offroad stuff goes a little later. Beautiful roads between the catskills/adirondacks, green mountains it is really a great place geographically for riding and just general outdoors life.
where you thinking of moving to?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
. Beautiful roads between the catskills/adirondacks, green mountains it is really a great place geographically for riding and just general outdoors life.
Yeah I grew up in jersey and always used to get to ride with my dad (in the 'vette) up in the catskills. Wish I could ride those same roads now on a bike.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 PM
SuperSport

Not sure yet, but I fell in love with the state in general after visiting last August. We spent time with her family outside Burlington, lake Champlain, drove and rode around across the state and through NH and spent a few days in Boston. No offense to people from NH, but that place sucks, including the drivers. I was surprised at how different it was from VT. I felt like I was in Bakersfield or something.

I also remember visiting upstate NY as a kid. Beautiful area.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Back Marker

jbeber is on a distinguished road
365 days a year here in San Antonio TX. Check out any 'Texas Hill Country' video on YouTube and you'll see what the area has to offer as far as riding goes. I came here from Minneapolis MN and I'm still getting used to a couple things (like the litter and grafitti), but I love the area. Also, I seem to be meeting plenty of people that have moved here from California. In fact, I work with 2 people from San Diego and about 5 total from California (and that's in an office of about 60 people). But, you seem to be looking into the NE part of the country so nevermind...

I cannot imagine moving back to a climate where the bike is in storage for at least 4 months of the year. It's easy to figure out why my motorcycle insurance doubled in cost when I moved to the South....I get to ride it twice as much!!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
You must have been in southern NH. If you were in the mountains on a weekend you were probably harassed by the MassHoles. NH is different from VT though. Southern NH is too developed now. Enough of the thread jacking.

In NH we get April to early Nov if you're brave.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:33 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by jbeber
I cannot imagine moving back to a climate where the bike is in storage for at least 4 months of the year. It's easy to figure out why my motorcycle insurance doubled in cost when I moved to the South....I get to ride it twice as much!!
Tell me about it, at the rate I'm going I'll do 16K miles this year.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
It gets too hot here for me about mid-June. After the weather breaks in the fall (hopefully early September) we ride the rest of the winter through spring. Some days are too cold but we have gear and we go 45F to 95.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:14 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Orange County, California. We usually get less rain than Los Angeles. This year is a major drought. I don't think it's really rained for more than 10 days this season.

I used to commute 80 miles a day in the rain years ago...splitting lanes and sliding sideways off the Bott's Dots. But I quit doing that about 15 years ago. I don't like getting the bike dirty. Also in recent years I didn't like taking off for work at 6:30 AM when it's in the 40's (yeah I know, I became a *****).

Now that I'm retired I don't get out of bed until at least 6:30, so I could ride every day that it doesn't rain. And I probably will, even if just for a surf check.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Grizz is on a distinguished road
Try coming to Canada and ride!! We start, for the most part, around the end of May and ride until about mid October.....even then it's not guaranteed by any means. During the winter it can get as cold as -50c

Last edited by Grizz; 03-17-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Kevin I grew up in Maine and I will tell you that the riding season may be from May to October but you will also have to deal with shitty frost damaged roads, lots of sand and gravel on the roads in the spring, wet leaves in the fall, and lots of rain storms. So out of the 6 months of riding time you may only get in 4.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:10 AM
Superstock

Billzilla15 is on a distinguished road
northeast Ohio, March Till About Late October. you get some warmer weather in march but there's usually to much salt and crap on the road to ride so its gotta rain a couple times before i go out. last weekend was the first for me 40 degrees and sunny it had rained the previous week so i'm good to go for now

but we usually get a freak snowstorm in April so i'm just waiting for that
Old 03-18-2009, 05:05 AM
Squid

1zeppfan is on a distinguished road
Atlanta Georgia.

I ride year round. Gets cold in the winter but no snow.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 1zeppfan
Atlanta Georgia.

I ride year round. Gets cold in the winter but no snow.
+1 here in Ga ! I might be heading up to Dahlonega this weekend , let me know if you want to meet up and ride the Loop & the other twisties up there...
Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmaniv
Kevin I grew up in Maine and I will tell you that the riding season may be from May to October but you will also have to deal with shitty frost damaged roads, lots of sand and gravel on the roads in the spring, wet leaves in the fall, and lots of rain storms. So out of the 6 months of riding time you may only get in 4.
i'm mostly like this, and the ohio guy above. march ish to about october but it gets chilly then so sept. for me
Old 03-18-2009, 06:17 AM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
NH is about april to nov like flyinghawk said. upstate has better roads then my southern but its still fun. I want to ride to vermont real bad because people seem to love and i drove through it once and the backroads looked so nice!

At least NH is "tax" free haha.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:33 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCVTR1000
+1 here in Ga ! I might be heading up to Dahlonega this weekend , let me know if you want to meet up and ride the Loop & the other twisties up there...
Dahlonega is a sweet area to ride...I do the 6 Gap Century road bike race there every September over Jacks, Neels, Woodys, Hogpen, Unicoi and Wolfpen all have sweet decents!

RC
Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Squid

Crawdaddy is on a distinguished road
San Diego - Bikers Paradise

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Here in San Diego, riding season is 365 days/yr.
That's a true statement as long as the ride starts around 11am and ends around 3pm. .

Early mornings can be a bit rough.......I live up in Ramona.....work in Carlsbad.......so I make the ~40 mile commute on the Superchicken in the late Spring, Summer, early Fall....but it gets down to the low 30's here in the mornings during the late Fall, Winter, early Spring AND I'd be riding home in the dark.......so I'm generally NOT interested.....besides, my focus is on "off-road" motorcycling Oct-March.....

That said, it's mid 50's this morning and the forecast is mid 80's in the inland valleys by this afternooon......and no more riding home in the dark now that time has changed........soooooo....... I'm riding the bike to work today

Moving away from San Diego ......re-think it.....
Old 03-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Dahlonega is a sweet area to ride...I do the 6 Gap Century road bike race there every September over Jacks, Neels, Woodys, Hogpen, Unicoi and Wolfpen all have sweet decents!

RC
No doubt , great roads up there ! I used to go up every other weekend till the cop's got really bad . Started doing trackdays instead ...cost about the same as a ticket & a whole lot safer ! But I am going to give the mountains another shot this weekend ,I just gotta remember to take it easy !

Last edited by HRCVTR1000; 03-18-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:02 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BlackHawk996
NH is about april to nov like flyinghawk said. upstate has better roads then my southern but its still fun. I want to ride to vermont real bad because people seem to love and i drove through it once and the backroads looked so nice!

At least NH is "tax" free haha.
nice, i'm from salem. there are a ton of bike events around if you look that's why i like it here

and +2 on the tax free
Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
moncton nb canada:
june-october

winter storage:
find a garage, preferably heated
fill gas tank and stabilize
change oil & filter
keep battery in a warm place and charge every month or two
wash and wax
cover with cotton sheet

winter:
perform mods and other maintenance like plugs, air filter, etc...
dream of riding in the summer heat
Old 03-18-2009, 07:21 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
oh yeah, the nh mountains are very nice! if they aren't suitable for you, you're spoiled!!! hahahahaha!!!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Squid

harlangto is on a distinguished road
On the front range of Colorado our season fluctuates so much it is hard to pinpoint, some years the bike goes into the far reaches of the garage in November and comes out in March so 5 months of bike storage on average.
But this year has been very kind, I have yet to put the SH up for more than a week at a time. If you can stand a brisk morning ride from 39-50 degrees you follow that up with a pleasant 60-75 degrees in the afternoon, the past 3 weekends even the wanna-bees have been out. Honestly on the front range the riding season is usually mid March thru Halloween.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:56 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Not sure yet, but I fell in love with the state in general after visiting last August. We spent time with her family outside Burlington, lake Champlain, drove and rode around across the state and through NH and spent a few days in Boston. No offense to people from NH, but that place sucks, including the drivers. I was surprised at how different it was from VT. I felt like I was in Bakersfield or something.

I also remember visiting upstate NY as a kid. Beautiful area.
burlington is still one of the best small cities to live in. I was there for about 4 years and still have friends there. a lot to offer. More than the winter the issue was the cloudiness for me over time, so if that affects you be aware.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Superstock

pigwings
don't move to Oregon
Old 03-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Squid

marra is on a distinguished road
with our "summers" in the UK about 2 weeks!! rest of the time you just have to get cold or wet
Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 AM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
phoenix az, 365. 2 hours north and your at 7000 feet for the summer months, lakes all around, beach is 6 hours west, and Mexico is about 3 hours south, there seems to always be somewhere to ride. We just did a 400 mile ride on Friday that took us through forest, rain, snow and through the red rocks of Sedona.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:25 AM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah and vegas about 5 hours north west of us.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
Not long enough...and I would say that if it were twelve months long.

Quick Reply: How long is the riding season where you live?