General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

How far do I take it? (asshole backed into my bike)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Squid

zagger1586 is on a distinguished road
How far do I take it? (******* backed into my bike)

I just finished running some errands and parked my 98 SH in front of my house before heading out to do riding in Malibu. I went inside for 30 minutes and then to head out. I go to put my right foot on and notice my right driver footpeg bracket is snapped and there is a newly park trailer to next to my bike. I confront the driver (in a nice manner) and asked him if him know what happened. He said, "Oh yeah I knocked it over but I don't think it didn't anything to it." Well we had a nice chat and he is going to be paying for it. He has insurance but is trying to keep it so he can pay out of pocket.

The question is though while the footpeg bracket is the only thing broken, my right fairings are scratched (not bad but a small rock chip and some scratches) and my exhaust has a small dent and is scratched as well.

Should bill him for new exhaust, fairings, bracket, and time to work on the bike?
Attached Thumbnails How far do I take it? (asshole backed into my bike)-bummer.jpg  
Old 07-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
All of the above
Old 07-02-2011, 07:24 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Make his insurance pay. Remember, he didn't knock on your door to tell you did he?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I would have everything that was damaged returned to new condition...
Old 07-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thetophatflash
Make his insurance pay. Remember, he didn't knock on your door to tell you did he?
+1 I totally aggree
Old 07-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Squid

racer187x is on a distinguished road
Yeah, everything affected. Take pictures. Also, how is the clutch cover?

I had a similar incident happen to me with my truck. Wasn't worried as my 21 year old truck is pretty beat up. But a guy backed into it and dented the right rear quarter panel. Not too terrible although I happened to be in the front yard at the time. Stopped him and asked if he had insurance. He said yeah but wanted to pay out of pocket cause of hard times blah blah blah and the truck looks like sh*t anyway. Never saw him again and I was new to the neighborhood. I suggest going through insurance or call the cops. I still keep an eye out for that guy...
Old 07-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Squid

Thanks for the reassurance on what to do. The only thing I screwed up on (i think) is I forgot to get his insurance info. I got his Driver's licenses info and phone number so I should be able to track that down. I've taken pictures and gonna take it in tomorrow to get an estimate.

Been a lurking on the site since i got my hawk a a few months back. Always appreciate everyone's help.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by RWhisen
All of the above
++1
Old 07-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
If he had come looking for you, telling you he knocked the bike over, and asked you to check it, I'd be inclined to be nice...

He didn't, he stood it back up, and acted like it never happened... So I'd give him a bill for everything with a lot of extra on top, unless he prefers to go through insurance...
Old 07-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
That sucks. Hope it all turns out for the best!
Old 07-03-2011, 06:21 AM
UK rider
Squid

lumpyv.uk is on a distinguished road
he should pay for the lot. if your bike is scuffed up its worth less money on resale. you wouldnt give 2 or 3 hundred dollars to someone you didnt know would you?

letting him leave the scene may be a stumbling block also? i wonder if he has got insurance??
Old 07-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
On a side note Zagger, the downhill skating link in your signature is awesome. It looks like a blast, but I'm afraid my old bones would not survive a tumble like some of the guys in the videos.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:41 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Please please if you didn't already do so file a police report. I know from alot of previous experience with morons damaging my ****. It's happened so many times I recently did it over a ******* door ding because I know how this **** goes, and even though the husband told me what a bitch his wife was (she was a complete C@*T to me) and said get an estimate & he promised he'd pay for it, in the end he changed gears, refused to pay, and stopped returning my phone calls. **** happens, and give someone the chance to make it right, but also get a police report, insurance info, drivers info, etc and protect yourself. And don't do anyone any favors-make sure your bike is repaired so that it looks like it did beforehand. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Oh yeah and as has already been stated the fact that they didn't volunteer the fact they damaged the bike is your first ******* clue right there...don't treat it as something personal-it's business. Get the bike fixed so that it looks the way it did before-anything that is damaged in any way gets included. Get estimates from a Honda dealer. If you fix it yourself that's your business.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Please please if you didn't already do so file a police report. I know from alot of previous experience with morons damaging my ****. It's happened so many times I recently did it over a ******* door ding because I know how this **** goes, and even though the husband told me what a bitch his wife was (she was a complete C@*T to me) and said get an estimate & he promised he'd pay for it, in the end he changed gears, refused to pay, and stopped returning my phone calls. **** happens, and give someone the chance to make it right, but also get a police report, insurance info, drivers info, etc and protect yourself. And don't do anyone any favors-make sure your bike is repaired so that it looks like it did beforehand. Good luck.
Can i file a police the report a day after the incident?

Originally Posted by RWhisen
On a side note Zagger, the downhill skating link in your signature is awesome. It looks like a blast, but I'm afraid my old bones would not survive a tumble like some of the guys in the videos.
Thanks man. Glad you liked it. It's a blast with a lot cheap price when you lay your equipment down

We all choose our own risk. Got to take everything slow at first and work your way up right. It's like when someone looks at your bike and go "I'd get one but I'd kill myself on one of those things" I race skateboard professionally and have been riding the Malibu Hills for 8 years. If you learn the right skills you can lower the risk but it's just funny how a lot of people prefer to jump into things.

Inexperience Skater Jumping into Things: YouTube - ‪Skateboard Crash - Mulholland Highway‬‏ It's funny cause I know this guy personally and I have repeatedly told him that Muholland on the weekend is not the place to ride in traffic if you're learning new skills. It just sucks that sometime a bad accident is the only way to learn or gain common sense that the pass he was going for he wasn't going to be able to stick let alone stay in his lane.

In Malibu we like riding Tuna since it is one way downhill so we avoid traffic but all the roads out there are awesome. If it's not the weekend we go hit up Muhalland. Here a a fun video from that session (i'm the guy in the white long shirt and green sunglasses)

Malibu RED Shoot | »SkateHouseMedia.com

Sorry about the sidetrack. The two things i love are Riding Skateboards and Motocycles.

Can I still file police report the day after?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:05 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
The last time someone tipped my bike I resisted beating him like a baby seal and asked for his license. I copied it and told him I would call the cops if he didnt hand me $400 cash (NOW) & that would cover parts & I would do the work. I held the license til he returned from the ATM. Otherwise chaos is right and ALWAYS get the police involved jut to keep everyone honest.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
zagger,
Are you sure you didn't sustain some sort of whiplash/neck injury from the tip over?
Old 07-04-2011, 06:20 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

I'm not sure how long you have after an incident to do that. Obviously on the scene would have been better but since that ship sailed just call and find out if you still can.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:30 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
im pretty sure you have somewhere around 5 to 7 days to file a police report... atleats in MA... make 3 copies, 1 goes to the cops, 1 to your insurance company and 1 for your records

atleast you got his license
Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Squid

Stoked to hear confirmation that his insurance will be covering all the damage.

I just got to take it in for an estimate and one of the insurance agents will be checking it out on monday.

Planning on dealing with some of cosmetic issues he caused (or fixing them myself) and putting the money into other mods.

Any tips to make sure I get the 'full value' from the insurance claim?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:02 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
You have good pics of before? Makes it easier to demand full repair.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
+1 on the police report. I had a friend who was hit in a road accident. He left the police out of it as the woman who hit him was apologetic and forthcoming with her insurance info. Insurance stalled in process then denied the claim. He couldn't file a police report at this point and the woman refused to pay out of pocket. He was left holding the (smashed) bag.

Nothing personal to the guy (even though what he did was technically hit and run), just cover yourself, if he's bent on keeping his insurance out of it then he's hiding something. This is what we pay monthly insurance premiums for.