General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

HOLY HEAVY exhaust cans

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Back Marker

Cyfac0183 is on a distinguished road
HOLY HEAVY exhaust cans

I picked up the stock exhaust last night from the guy i purchased my 98 superhawk from- currently has two brothers carbons cans on - HOLY smokes- i couldn't get over the weight on those suckers- do they have a lead core or something?

they have to be more valuable as scrap with the weight on those things.

just saying
Old 01-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
No...bro! Good quality stainless construction. They'll last the life of the bike.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Back Marker

well that is good- because i am putting the stockers back on and selling the two brothers- I was just taken back with the weight on those suckers- they are quite heavy, that or i am seriously weak.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Squid

r80gsman is on a distinguished road
yep, they are heavy, like the bmw exhaust.. wheelie helpers, like carting a quiet fat chick as a passanger . good stainless thou.. i have two brother race and need to repack... the sound is amazing. still quieter than the Harley guys.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cyfac0183
they have to be more valuable as scrap with the weight on those things.

just saying
I was just about ready to reply.... All the more reason to keep those light as a feather carbon cans....then I read your next thread.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Back Marker

You are the biggest proponent of me keeping the carbon cans- are you sure you don't want them?

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
I was just about ready to reply.... All the more reason to keep those light as a feather carbon cans....then I read your next thread.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Squid

You are the biggest proponent of me keeping the carbon cans- are you sure you don't want them?

i think you should keep them also.. even if you don't use them for a while, they may get hard to come by due to the rarity of the bike... waxpaper and in a corner closet.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Sorry bud, I'll cool it. Exhaust was the most anticipated mod for me. I would hate to see you regret it later this summer. Ok I'm done.

I would like 'em, but seeing as how I already have Jardine's, I have other priorities. GL w/ sale.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
yup weight was the reason I swapped, the added noise was a downside for me, but earplugs fix that.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Back Marker

I just found it humorous- I also found some very shiny hi mount brackets- in the box with the stock cans- i guess i should sell them with it.

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Sorry bud, I'll cool it. Exhaust was the most anticipated mod for me. I would hate to see you regret it later this summer. Ok I'm done.

I would like 'em, but seeing as how I already have Jardine's, I have other priorities. GL w/ sale.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
sell for how much $$
Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Back Marker

with exhaust?- pm me- or email at cyfac0183@gmai.com

Originally Posted by nothing
sell for how much $$
Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Squid

Woody42181 is on a distinguished road
high mount brackets? Do you have the extra mid-pipes required to high-mount them?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Woody42181
high mount brackets? Do you have the extra mid-pipes required to high-mount them?
to be honest- i have no clue what I have-

but if you look at this link:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=23759

those funny brackets- holding up the exhaust- yeah i have them (two of them).
Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by r80gsman
i think you should keep them also.. even if you don't use them for a while, they may get hard to come by due to the rarity of the bike... waxpaper and in a corner closet.
I'm for keeping them too. I have a feeling, after riding for a while (especially now that you know your adding a ton of weight back on) that you will change your mind. At some point, after hearing the muted Hawk, you may decide to go back. If you're not totally hurting for cash, I'd HIGHLY recomend keeping those aftermarket cans around. Just sayin...
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Back Marker

I absolutely hear what you are saying- and you are right- i haven't even really ridden the darn bike yet- so- i will switch to the stockers- see what i think- and make a decision based on that-

BUT... if the price is right- the thingers will be sold.

Originally Posted by ranchomice
I'm for keeping them too. I have a feeling, after riding for a while (especially now that you know your adding a ton of weight back on) that you will change your mind. At some point, after hearing the muted Hawk, you may decide to go back. If you're not totally hurting for cash, I'd HIGHLY recomend keeping those aftermarket cans around. Just sayin...
Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Back Marker

The money would be nice though- as the bike as 16k miles on it- and i have read story after story about the CCT's and i have concerns about the clutch and chain-

i have to drop it off at my buddies shop sooner than later to see what the deal is- but the CCT's are a must - I have been scared from the CCT threads- that i actually worry about riding it before i replace them.

craig
Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
The money would be nice though- as the bike as 16k miles on it- and i have read story after story about the CCT's and i have concerns about the clutch and chain-

i have to drop it off at my buddies shop sooner than later to see what the deal is- but the CCT's are a must - I have been scared from the CCT threads- that i actually worry about riding it before i replace them.

craig
What you don't see on this forum is coments from people who have never had an issue with CCT's. I'm not saying you should leave them alone, for sure. What I am saying is, there are many people who have substantial mileage on OEM/or original CCT's. There are also many who believe that hard engine braking, and running the bike on it's sidestand contribute greatly to failures. I would say however, if a bike has over 10k on it, and you don't know it's history, change those things out. Even if it's with oem. I really wish there was a way to get/see data on failures vs. non.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:09 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ranchomice
What you don't see on this forum is coments from people who have never had an issue with CCT's. I'm not saying you should leave them alone, for sure. What I am saying is, there are many people who have substantial mileage on OEM/or original CCT's. There are also many who believe that hard engine braking, and running the bike on it's sidestand contribute greatly to failures. I would say however, if a bike has over 10k on it, and you don't know it's history, change those things out. Even if it's with oem. I really wish there was a way to get/see data on failures vs. non.
Not arguing with ya at all, because it is a curiosity of mine as well. But I'll take a one time $100 dollar peace of mind, please. Even if you buy new OEM ones, they still have all the pieces that break inside them, so you're not in the clear... unless you keep buying them at regular "wear" intervals.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Back Marker

this prob should be in a diff thread- but what is the deal with these- is this just a really poor design? if it is known to break - and effe the valves- why would they still use/ make the OEM ones? it doesn't make sense
Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 AM
MotoGP

this prob should be in a diff thread- but what is the deal with these- is this just a really poor design? if it is known to break - and effe the valves- why would they still use/ make the OEM ones? it doesn't make sense

Yeah, sort a different thread, but I'm waiting for my computer to run at work...

My perception of it is that it is several things:

1) The whole reason for the OEM automatic ones is that you don't have to adjust the tension on them. I'm guessing that Honda didn't want to ask regular owners to have to pay attention to another part of their bike (some have a hard time keeping oil in it!) so made the automatic ones.

2) On most sports bikes (read: inline 4), if the OEM's fail, then there is no catastrophic damages. The motor is just noisy and doesn't run as well. Because of the design of the V-Twin a failure in one is catastrophic... In other words, the CCT's that are used on many of their bikes are only a serious matter on a couple (one being ours). So I'm guessing that Honda has less incentive to fix the problem, especially b/c there aren't really that many Superhawks and the last of the bikes were sold 5 years ago. Honda is still a company that has to make a profit, and I bet the benefit of designing a whole new system just wouldn't be worth it to them. This is somewhat speculation on my part, but I felt like painting a picture.

3) Honda didn't know it was an issue until the bike was being sold. They changed the maintenance from nothing to the CCT's to being replaced as a regular wear item after they started failing all over the place. This kinda just shows that they didn't know it would be an issue until it was too late. However they fail, and this is what most people try to figure out, they do enough that it's not a quirky or on person issue. Even if only 2% of them fail, they still do and that's enough for me to be concerned.

4) There is already a fix, it's called APE's. Most people don't upgrade their brake lines by buying OEM ones... they go SS or kevlar or some other cool aftermarket shinny thing. I'm guessing that Honda figured that people could do this for the CCT's and figured it was a done deal.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Back Marker

very informative- thanks- but doesn't honda know that the superhawk- though more rare than the others- is more bad ***? they don't know that? I don't get it.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
MotoGP

Right!?

A Superhawk II has to be in the works... I will keep telling myself that... if I squint real hard the Fury looks... it's a V-Twin... nice cruiser styling... 60 hp...
Old 01-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Back Marker

i totally agree- I mean they have the NT700 out now- which to me is a modernized NT650 (hawk gt) - so it only makes sense- a sportier v twin has to be in the works
Old 01-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Most modern motorcycle engines are of interference design,, meaning if the cams go out of time, valves hit the pistons, V2, V4, I4.. This is not a SH or V2 design issue alone.

All makes and models have seen issues with the ACCT, some more than others. Some only when used in a specific set of conditions. Some have a mostly good design that keeps the ACCT from catastrophic failure, but cause other related issues (like excess pressure on the chain causing rapid wear)

Simple fact is, many folks will ride a bone stock SH (or other bike) and never have a ACCT failure… of course that is of no consolation if you’re one of the few that do have a catastrophic failure and it cost you a engine.

Replacement of the ACCT with a MCCT is a known, simple way of removing that failure variable.. Most MCCT users will never need to adjust the MCCT, they simply do not put enough hours on the bike.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:04 PM
MotoGP

Hmmm, guess I was wrong. I was under the impression that a CCT failure on a CBR would not have the same issues... That would void much of my impression of the situation.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Hmmm, guess I was wrong. I was under the impression that a CCT failure on a CBR would not have the same issues... That would void much of my impression of the situation.
It usually doesn't cause a problem, not because the engine isn't interference, it is, but because the other cyls will be putting differencing pressures on the camshaft meaning that the timing will go all wacky and it will make a terrible noise, causing most people to stop riding, but unless you keep riding it or are unlucky it doesn't usually go so far off that it will cause the valves to hit the pistons.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Squid

i'll comment even though this an exhaust thread...

MCCTs- cheap, full proof(as full as it can be). from what i have read, after the first instal adj.. when they need adjusted again, they will let you know with a bit more noise but will not go out of adj fast and to fare enough to cause trouble.. i am going to make my own, because i am cheap. and like to do things myself.

ACCTs breakage might vary well be a riding factor. hard on the acceleration and hard off creates a lot of chain slaps, due to the non-ratcheting design they are not solid enough to take the abuse.. the other with lack of oil/side stand idling and bikes that sad for most of there lives, just wear the parts out(no lube) or causes rusting, then wears out fast. who knows..

most, myself included, bough there SH to enjoy it, which means using the torque in turns and engine braking (one of the best things about twins). letting 100$ hinder me from enjoying this fine machine to its fullest is just not worth it.... get them in the bike, and rev it with out worry... this is why i am doing it.....

I am willing to do a tech day in the asheville area on this issue to help. i have done these on other bikes but not on the SH but it is not hard and is strait forward.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Back Marker

just put the stock cans on- WOW- what a very HUGE difference- sounds very mild- and not at all harsh- sorta pleased
Old 01-12-2011, 08:07 AM
MotoGP

just put the stock cans on- WOW- what a very HUGE difference- sounds very mild- and not at all harsh- sorta pleased
Yup, with the stock cans it is scooter loud. Not a bad sound - tone, but super quiet. If I could get something in volume between my migs and the stock ones that doesn't weigh "one Rosie O'Donnell" like the stock ones, I'd do it.