SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Hi from new forum member in UK (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/hi-new-forum-member-uk-22807/)

budd 06-07-2010 06:37 AM

Hi from new forum member in UK

Hi From the Uk I've just returned to biking after 10yr layoff following a serious leg injury, but despite owning some nice fast cars in that period I still missed the bike, so I 've just bought a early '97 VTR 1000 Firestorm

(Superhawk to you guys) see pic
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...m/P1060688.jpg
It's done 28,000 miles and totally stock, it's just had a major service by Honda so mechanically it's tip top and overall the condition is so good it's difficult to believe it's nearly 14 yrs old, this is both credit to it's previous owner and tribute to Honda build quaility.
I took it out for a steady 'getting to know you' ride yesterday and did around 160 miles before rain stopped play.
And it preformed pretty well, nice torquey engine (although it is thirsty getting through nearly 2 tank fulls of fuel in 160 miles) the only real problem is the suspension, the front in particular doesn't inspire confidence even under modest braking the the forks are bottoming out and the tyre skipping over ripples, the other thing is it doesn't like to turn in, I've spaced the rear damper top mount 5mm in the hope that it will sharpen up the steering a bit.
I'm going to read the various posts re suspension and work out my options for improvment, if anyone as any advice or can point me in the direction of relevent post it would be appreciated, this forum seems a goldmine of information on all things things VTR so I think I'm in the right place.

pigwings 06-07-2010 07:02 AM

Welcome to the forum it IS a goldmine.
Great color.

Little_Horse 06-07-2010 07:07 AM

welcome,

yes there is a lot of info regarding suspension mods and work. Some people go through all the trouble to actually swap the whole front end out, but if you are looking for a faster cheaper method for the time being getting the right springs in the forks for your weight and putting new fork oil at the right height can make a world of difference with the stock shocks. Obviously the fork swap makes a bigger difference but it can take a while to gather parts and since more parts are needed can cost quite a bit more that springs and oil.

budd 06-07-2010 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by pigwings (Post 269165)
Welcome to the forum it IS a goldmine.
Great color.

Thanks for the welcome,Yeah I'm liking the Yellow, I had wanted a silver one but the yellow came up at the right money and in great condition and the more I'm around it the more it's growing on me.

Originally Posted by cornandp (Post 269168)
welcome,

yes there is a lot of info regarding suspension mods and work. Some people go through all the trouble to actually swap the whole front end out, but if you are looking for a faster cheaper method for the time being getting the right springs in the forks for your weight and putting new fork oil at the right height can make a world of difference with the stock shocks. Obviously the fork swap makes a bigger difference but it can take a while to gather parts and since more parts are needed can cost quite a bit more that springs and oil.

I've done a little searching and while a CBR900 swap looks pretty straight forward I want a quick cheap fix at the moment so I'll be doing the springs and oil, oil is no problem I'll just have see what's available spring wise here in the UK.

residentg 06-07-2010 12:46 PM

welcome!

I have race tech .90 springs with 7wt oil, check out their web site to see what is right for your weight. These bikes are badly undersprung stock.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=22721

be sure to do the TPS mod, APE CCTs too. Look in KB section for all the how-to's.

nekkid 06-07-2010 01:29 PM

Welcome to the site. You already have a firm grasp of the bike's personality. Fixing the shortcomings is one of the charms of the Hawk.

Mabsport 06-07-2010 04:03 PM

Another Brit:welcome: And a bike painted in the best colour :-)

CANADAVTR 06-07-2010 06:30 PM

Welcome Budd, nice looking ride! Enjoy.

budd 06-08-2010 02:29 AM

Thanks for the continued welcome, so far I've spaced the rear damper top mount 5mm and it now turns a little better, I may drop the forks through the yokes a few mm too, when I do the fork springs/oil, but I don't want to make to the bike to focused I think one of the charms of the VTR is it's easy going nature, some of the newer sports bikes are to track focused and hard work day to day on normal road surfaces, I think the trick will be to sharpen it up to inspire confidence but not to lose the overall usability.

NooB 06-10-2010 09:49 AM

Is that some custom paint on the wheels? How about a closer pic of that? I just replaced the oil in my forks after over 25000 miles and it made a huge difference. I don't know if they did that in the service, but that should be the next thing you do.

Whoa, looking closer at that pic do I see a TVR in your garage?