Hey all

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 06:37 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Hey all

Hey Frank,

Welcome and Congrats!

I'm not trying to "shut you up" by any means but your questions are typical of a excited owner of a new superhawk as we've all been there but they are FAQ's. Do a search or just poke around the different forums, LOTS to read.

The SuperHawk is perfect right out of the box and needs absolutely no modifications whatsoever! I kept mine stock. :wink:
Old 05-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Superstock

VTRDarren
yeah, what Superbling said..... and as for the 190, no advantage, actually most say you'll have better turn-in with the 180..stick with it.

Gas guage, don't have one on my 98...
Old 05-03-2005, 11:11 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
welcome aboard.

ride the bike as is for a while, to get used to it first. then, you can think about upgrading the front suspension and front brakes, and by then, you have been around enough to know about all other mods. Until then, enjoy your new bike! don't be rushing to fix what ain't broken!
Old 05-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Best first mod? Either stainless steel brake lines or higher rate front fork springs.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Squid

Monomaster

G'day & welcome...I'm new too (as well as being on the other side of the earth)..

DO NOT put a 190 section tyre on a 5.5inch rim for god sakes... stick with a 180 or put a larger rim (6") for a 190.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:36 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sure there's some forum members in your area you can hookup with.
Ditto everyone on the 190 deal. Basically you'll be pinching the tire in more at the beads & running on a narrower strip of rubber & screwing up the designed profile of the tire. Result: worse performance & nobody really wants that.
As far as the gas guage...it's simple physics. The Superhawk burns fuel so quickly that the acceleration rate of the gas sucks the needle over at a more rapid rate!
Ok, that last bit is BS, but the 'Hawk is known for it's small tank & rapid fuel consumption.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:39 AM
Back Marker

icebud

I guys, I'm new here too, so nice to meet you all.

And for the first mod, I recommend a pair of nice looking and lound sound slip-on!

For me it was Micron oval black to yellow fade. But there is several other brand and choice for everyone taste, just need around 1000$ CDN and you are in business to shake up the world! 8)

Ok, ok, cops not always like this, but like VTR owners are most mature guys ( in general ) a good discussion could help many often!!

Cia

IceBud
Old 05-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Back Marker

icebud

I must admit it, Wood, you have right!

These mods are the cheapest you can do on your Hawk and they will give you the fastest and greatest effect on your ride.

On the other hand, if there is no dicussion about the rear shock spacer, that could restart the discussion if a smaller spocket in front will make the chain worn-out faster!!

For my part, I was suspicious about this effect on the chain, but now i'm forced to admit that it could have an effect... With only 22 000Km do with the 15T front spocket, my chain is now worn-out to the last adjustment! and during these Km I've made a really good maintenance of it... To compare, with the stock spocket I had no difficulties to make more than 30 000Km with the chain... ( same size and brand of chain of course)

I was thinking to restock in front and put a bigger in rear, but i'm curious and I will make a second try just to validate these results. So, my new chain is ordered. I will make a second test and I willl see the result. I will keep you in touch after 20 000Km...

IceBud
Old 05-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys! another newby here.
the gearing thing is spot on. a smaller front sprocket is hard on the chain and you can always get a lightweight, but larger, rear and save some weight to boot.
first i've heard of the shock spacer. 6mm thick I understand. what diameter?
thanks.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
so, about a 10mm slot/hole should do the trick. thanks. i'm running too much rear preload but wasn't sure of shim size. will hit the ACE tomorrow. I agree that dropping the front is a bad idea, what with ground and fender clearance issues.
i'm about to try set of stock SV650 fork springs, $10 on ebay, hope try make me happy. i put racetech recommended springs and emulators in my concours and feel the springs are too stiff.